Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Dec 2019 at 9:04 PM
Default Solution to the Fence Post Problem
So fences in TS4 are 'broken,' in the sense that they don't work like I'm accustomed to them working. When you drag a section of fence and stop, it creates posts on either end, and wherever it feels like it should in the middle—if it creates middle posts at all. Unlike previous games, dragging, stopping, and dragging again does not manually create a post. As the child of parents who owned a literal fence-building company, I am deeply annoyed by long stretches of fence with no posts. And as an obsessive human, I want more control.

In trying to solve this problem, I found an interesting solution—if I drag a line of fence in color A, it puts the posts on either end. If I then change the same fence to color B, and drag back over sections of the fence, it will treat the color B fence as a second fence, and put posts on either end of that section. Of course, I don't want all of my fences to be color blocked. But what if I had a copy of the same color in each fence? Identical recolors? The game would see them as different, and I could put my posts wherever I liked.

Unfortunately, I'm a Mac player. Sims4Studio doesn't support fences, and it seems like the tools that do are PC only. I'm wondering if anyone knows how I might accomplish this fence recoloring mission, short of having to buy a program that virtually runs a PC on my computer, which would be overly complicated, since my game files are all on the Mac.
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2 Old 8th Dec 2019 at 9:19 PM
Are you sure Sims4Studio doesn't support fences?? I'd be very surprised if that were true.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Dec 2019 at 12:08 AM
I'm sure that it doesn't support them on Mac—I've never used the PC version. But all googling and forum searching on the matter leads me to believe that recoloring fences still isn't supported. I think the TSR program does, and it's possible that S4PE would allow it, but I don't think either of those are supported for Mac, and honestly, I'm not much of a creator. I think I could sufficiently create a recolor that is identical to a game object using a program like Studio, though, as I've been able to do that sort of thing before in order to turn loveseats into dining booths.

There aren't many new fences, leading me to believe that they're complicated. Not impossible though.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 9th Dec 2019 at 1:53 PM
S4Studio cannot yet work with fences, columns, or stairs. TSR Workshop can but the packages it produces are always a little bit different in their setup to what the game expects so may give unexpected results.

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu