Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#101 Old 13th Dec 2010 at 9:24 PM
Pyronium3, do you think your going to still classify Setra as an Egyption world? Even though sims wont take taxis around regularly, I think the idea of the game spawning Egyption NPCs and neighbors would be so cool and seeing people drive around mopeds would be realistic for a middle eastern city as well I would think.
If only we could change certain parts but not others...
Advertisement
Test Subject
#102 Old 15th Dec 2010 at 12:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by happyjme
Pyronium3, do you think your going to still classify Setra as an Egyption world? Even though sims wont take taxis around regularly, I think the idea of the game spawning Egyption NPCs and neighbors would be so cool and seeing people drive around mopeds would be realistic for a middle eastern city as well I would think.
If only we could change certain parts but not others...

I don't think so, no. The Egyptian NPCs look a little too rural, and the idea I have for my world is a modern, multi-cultural settlement. Also, NPCs won't drive around on mopeds, only members of your household do. NPCs will walk everywhere; which also doesn't really fit in a city :P

I also wish it was possible to isolate one or two features, but alas, that's not possible (Yet)
Test Subject
#103 Old 16th Dec 2010 at 2:59 PM
Hi .

I posted in here about having a bug with a world that i was testing this resource with, it was having loading save problems, i finaly fixed it and just wanted to let you know it wasent the resource causing it, also the world im testing on has had no issues what so ever with the resource, all is working fine.

The ambient sound could that be related to the room markers, i noticed that there are options on them to change ambient sounds.
Test Subject
#104 Old 16th Dec 2010 at 3:33 PM
Yup it is the room markers just tested it out on one of my apartments, i turned all the sound setings down and left the ambient high and this is what im hearing in my apartment, doors closing, foot steps, voices, music, trafic and car horns.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#105 Old 16th Dec 2010 at 6:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Yuffi3
Yup it is the room markers just tested it out on one of my apartments, i turned all the sound setings down and left the ambient high and this is what im hearing in my apartment, doors closing, foot steps, voices, music, trafic and car horns.

You mean the hidden room markers? Great, thanks for the information! That would make sense.
Retired
retired moderator
#106 Old 16th Dec 2010 at 7:50 PM
There are two ambient sounds settings when you shift + click the room markers. Sort of low or high income sound effects.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Test Subject
#107 Old 16th Dec 2010 at 8:33 PM
yeah the hiden room markers, the reason no one gets the ambient sounds in custom worlds is because when u copy lots from bridgeport to your libary all markers get reset to no ambient sound, bit like the fog emiters when they get reset.
Scholar
#108 Old 18th Dec 2010 at 8:17 AM
That sounds better to me. I abandoned trying this with my world because it has a town area and a country area and I didn't want city sounds on farms. It does make sense that it would be related to the buildings as then you could have different areas. Has anyone tested if the little residential area on the outskirts of bridgeport have the city sounds? If the sounds are build specific it would be more attractive to me.

Traffic though, it's controlling that. I'd like more traffic in a town area but keep the country area quieter. I like worlds that have a bit of everything.

My speakers are stuffed right now since getting a new hard drive in so I can't test sounds for now.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#109 Old 18th Dec 2010 at 9:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kiwi_tea
There are two ambient sounds settings when you shift + click the room markers. Sort of low or high income sound effects.

Aha- I see them! On the hidden room markers, but not the others. So you can get apartment sounds as well as the traffic. Thanks Yuffi and Kiwi, I hadn't noticed that!
Rogue Redeemer
retired moderator
#110 Old 18th Dec 2010 at 1:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by fluttereyes
Has anyone tested if the little residential area on the outskirts of bridgeport have the city sounds? If the sounds are build specific it would be more attractive to me.

Traffic though, it's controlling that. I'd like more traffic in a town area but keep the country area quieter. I like worlds that have a bit of everything.

I think you can notice the difference of the sounds in Bridgeport when you move across the bridge to the residential areas. The city sounds sort of, fade away slowly and in the residential area, you can hear the birds and al the basic sounds.

I'm also wondering that same question as you about the traffic.. But when I think about it, there don't seem to be no more than a couple of cabs driving to the residential area of Bridgeport and around it.
Mad Poster
#111 Old 18th Dec 2010 at 4:23 PM
The taxis appear to simply drive from community lot to community lot from what I have seen in game. So if you have very few community lots in your residential areas then there should be very few taxis driving around there.

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#112 Old 18th Dec 2010 at 8:02 PM
And I noticed that trees seem to emit bird sounds, so that will give a more rural ambience.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#113 Old 22nd Dec 2010 at 12:08 PM
Please note- I uploaded an amended version of the resource with only the relevant byte amended. This should not affect your World description or thumbnail.

Please redownload from the first post if you wish to import rather than edit your world file manually.
Scholar
#114 Old 23rd Dec 2010 at 7:25 AM
menaceman, I have small village shops in my rural area but I don't want that area to have loads of traffic, I already have a mod to make the Sims walk more in these areas rather than drive. I'll test this as soon as I get my speakers working, still haven't had time to sort them out.
Lab Assistant
#115 Old 27th Dec 2010 at 9:05 AM
How should I set the hidden room maker to make the sounds good??
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#116 Old 27th Dec 2010 at 12:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LS_Bari
How should I set the hidden room maker to make the sounds good??

There are only three settings- cheap, expensive and off. I think cheap has more TV/ shouting sounds, but listen to them yourself to decide which you like best for your apartment.
Lab Assistant
#117 Old 27th Dec 2010 at 3:02 PM
TY very much ... too helpful as always
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#118 Old 6th Jan 2011 at 3:32 PM
More info on the world identities courtesy of HugeLunatic:
https://sites.google.com/site/hugelunatic/ts3-misc
Lab Assistant
#119 Old 7th Jan 2011 at 8:33 AM
Hey simsample, Thanks for this information!
I am just curious, are you going to upload the Summer ville city world?
I am currently working on lots for it to change it into a city and changing it that way seems to be something better not attempted by noobs like me ;-)

Erwin.

smaller,faster,better....
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#120 Old 7th Jan 2011 at 1:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Erwinsims
Hey simsample, Thanks for this information!
I am just curious, are you going to upload the Summer ville city world?
I am currently working on lots for it to change it into a city and changing it that way seems to be something better not attempted by noobs like me ;-)

Erwin.

Do you mean Sunset Valley? If so then no, I won't be uploading that- it's easy enough to modify for your own use though.

Just follow the instructions I wrote, but in step 2 you need to open [Game Install Location]\ Electronic Arts\ The Sims 3\ GameData\ Shared\ NonPackaged\ Worlds\ SunsetValley.World instead. MAKE A backup of SunsetValley.World first though as you may need it!
http://www.modthesims.info/showpost...92&postcount=80

I'm a noob at this too you know- I've learned a lot from what people have posted in this thread!
Test Subject
#121 Old 16th Jan 2011 at 2:35 AM
I have been following this thread for some time and thought I would what the results would be for me.
I added the old package to a downloaded world Acorn Bay and fired it up. This is what I found.
(Have not tried the new code just yet.)
No description
Placed 8 Food truck parking places and 4 trucks on 4 of the parking lots and waited 10 sim hours. The trucks did nothing, so I saved and quit. When I started up again there were 3 trucks instead of 4 and they would move around to other parking lots at varying times. Seem to work just fine.
Taxis seem to be working.
Now for sounds.... I could not hear the Taxi sounds until I zoomed in on one. The sound is there just very low. Same for other city sounds. As I move out to the rural areas the sounds do change to rural as the city fades out.
I wanted to use some of the clubs in my world and since the lots are odd sizes I tried to add parking or put tiles up to the side walk and it tells me Homeowners assoiation rules do not allow this. I have a lot I downloaded also that tells me the same thing. Is this something new or is there something wrong with game and is there a way around it?
I am not a programmer or anything like that. I know a few basics that have helped me solve problems in the past and that is about it. I thought you might want some more feedback on this. I hope it helps.
Q.... How do I get the room markers to work...When I click or shift + click on them it tells me that I can't change them. I do have testingCheatsenabled turned on.

Thanks
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#122 Old 16th Jan 2011 at 3:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jamer007
IThis is what I found.
(Have not tried the new code just yet.)
No description

That's because you're using the old code I uploaded- which was ripped from Bridgeport. Try the new version instead, that just has the byte that is relevant changed and will not squash the world description.

I wanted to use some of the clubs in my world and since the lots are odd sizes I tried to add parking or put tiles up to the side walk and it tells me Homeowners assoiation rules do not allow this. I have a lot I downloaded also that tells me the same thing. Is this something new or is there something wrong with game and is there a way around it?

That's because if the building shells are used, the game automatically assumes that the building is an apartment and it prevents building. To get around that, turn on the testing cheats and then use this cheat:
restrictbuildbuyinbuildings false

Q.... How do I get the room markers to work...When I click or shift + click on them it tells me that I can't change them. I do have testingCheatsenabled turned on.

What are you trying to change on the room markers? I think the only room marker that has an option is the marker for the hidden rooms- that one allows you to adjust the ambient sounds. The others don't have any options. If you want to change the room marker, just delete it and get one of a different type from the buydebug catalog.

I thought you might want some more feedback on this. I hope it helps.

Thank you, yes it does help! It's good to know that you have made this work in your game.
Test Subject
#123 Old 17th Jan 2011 at 10:13 PM
Thanks for your help simsample.
I have added the new code now and will be trying it out for the next few days. I have other problems with the the game that I will be working on too since LN has come out. Not for this thread....sorry.
Thanks again....
Lab Assistant
#124 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 5:11 PM
Oh, lucky me! I managed to save my first "subdivision" of my world, then finished it, then played that version, then did a lot of edit town/ real estate, trying to come up with a decent starting point I could maybe add to Mediafire. Now, rather than screw with the version I'm actually playing, I can open the subdivision, and try tweaking stuff. I had no idea I was planning in advance for stuff like THIS, because my world was built before Ambitions came out! I just thought, leave a lot of extra room, because if Sims 1 and 2 are any guide, there's going to be about 7 expansions here, and Ambitions is only #2.

I wonder though... I was told if you were playing a world, and later changed stuff, you'd lose all the saved games in that world. And yet, I renamed mine, and ended up with 2 worlds, both playable. So, on that note, I'm off to tweak stuff!
Lab Assistant
#125 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 5:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
That's because you're using the old code I uploaded- which was ripped from Bridgeport. Try the new version instead, that just has the byte that is relevant changed and will not squash the world description.

That's because if the building shells are used, the game automatically assumes that the building is an apartment and it prevents building. To get around that, turn on the testing cheats and then use this cheat:
restrictbuildbuyinbuildings false

What are you trying to change on the room markers? I think the only room marker that has an option is the marker for the hidden rooms- that one allows you to adjust the ambient sounds. The others don't have any options. If you want to change the room marker, just delete it and get one of a different type from the buydebug catalog.

Thank you, yes it does help! It's good to know that you have made this work in your game.

It's a bug/ feature I found in my game too. I didn't even know about the restrict thing till today. I just thought okay, game is being weird. It's a COMMUNITY lot, what the heck is with this "homeowners rules" stuff? So, go back to edit town, see if it's set to residential or community, it's community, so what's going on here? Go back to build/ buy on lot. Seemed to "reset" something there. Apparently, it had "forgotten" that it was a community lot, and simply doing that had "reminded" it. *shrug*
Mad Poster
#126 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 5:45 PM
The hidden room markers also class a lot as unbuildable. I built an abandoned mine on a community lot and used the hidden room markers to black out areas I didn't want seen before I had finished only to find I couldn't continue building because of it. It notified me of residential building rules.
I didn't know about the rbbb cheat so couldn't remove the marker either. I bulldozed the lot and started again in the end.

Lab Assistant
#127 Old 24th Jan 2011 at 1:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Pyronium3
I can confirm that 01 00 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 adds fake taxis and makes the food trucks work! The city icon is also there, and the description remains intact.

Do you mean something other than the ambient sound produced by the shells? The downtown area of my city is full of city noise, which comes from the highrise shells!

I was also curious as to what would happen if I made the resource identical to the Egypt one (apart from the vacation destination option), and the results were quite interesting!

1. A special goods vendor appeared selling Egyptian visa-awards.

2. Household Sims would use a moped to move around opposed to a taxi.

3. Egyptian map music!

Especially #3 intrigues me, as I reaaaally want that in my custom world. The drawback is that nothing of these things appear without changing every byte (apart from the world category). There was also no world description.

Now, for our next trick, can we get say, Chinese visa awards, French map music, and Egyptian NPCs? Actually, could we get our own custom map music? Or would that change every other world we have?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#128 Old 24th Jan 2011 at 4:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sciffy Circo
Now, for our next trick, can we get say, Chinese visa awards, French map music, and Egyptian NPCs? Actually, could we get our own custom map music? Or would that change every other world we have?

No- see this post:
http://www.modthesims.info/showpost...03&postcount=92

Byte 06 controls the type of world- city, suburb, vacation etc.
The other bytes determine the locale- in other words, they define which EA world it is. You can either make it China, France or Egypt- not a bit of each.

Quote: Originally posted by Pyronium3
Regretfully, that means this file can't be used to make worlds that are neighborhoods with just no cars, or just location music. They'll always have all the location characteristics or none at all.

It may be possible to create an override for the map music, but to create a new category of map music would seemingly necessitate creating a new locale. If we could create a new locale then we could make Pyronium's Egyptian map music with normal car use, or have a world where everyone cycles with the suburb map music.
Lab Assistant
#129 Old 24th Jan 2011 at 4:25 AM
No- see this post:
http://www.modthesims.info/showpost...03&postcount=92

Byte 06 controls the type of world- city, suburb, vacation etc.
The other bytes determine the locale- in other words, they define which EA world it is. You can either make it China, France or Egypt- not a bit of each.

It may be possible to create an override for the map music, but to create a new category of map music would seemingly necessitate creating a new locale. If we could create a new locale then we could make Pyronium's Egyptian map music with normal car use, or have a world where everyone cycles with the suburb map music.

That's what I was wondering. If we could replace the map music with say, our own mp3 file, would that also change it for every other world? I don't think I would want to do that on EVERY world, but certainly on my own!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#130 Old 24th Jan 2011 at 10:06 AM
That's what I was wondering. If we could replace the map music with say, our own mp3 file, would that also change it for every other world? I don't think I would want to do that on EVERY world, but certainly on my own!

Let us know when you've discovered how!
Scholar
#131 Old 30th Jan 2011 at 1:03 PM
Menaceman. The cheat you're looking for is restrictbuildbuyinbuildings false or off, can't remember which. You can then remove those markers.

I need to read through what I've missed on this thread.
Lab Assistant
#132 Old 4th Feb 2011 at 10:03 PM
I feel like an idiot now. I made my town into a city, played with Create A world, changed the water and sky colors, making my new CAW town into France/ city but not vacation town, all that...

How the heck do I use the food truck and parking spot? Seriously, I've avoided all custom content. What program do I use to get it into my game? I've already downloaded it. Do I need to extract it somewhere? I couldn't even see the file till I wondered where it went, and it said I already had it.

Fluttereyes, and anyone else who would like to test, try this:
1) backup your files!
2) Install the world you want to test with, if it isn't already installed.
3) Go to Documents\ Electronic Arts\ The Sims 3\ Installed Worlds and find the world file for the world you want to test. Open it with S3Pe.
4) Download this: LINK
5) In S3pe, click Resource>Import>From File... and browse to the file you just downloaded. Click open, make sure 'replace duplicates' is selected and 'compress' is unselected. Click OK.
6) File> Save so that your modified world is saved.
7) Delete CASPartCache.package, compositorCache.package, scriptCache.package, simCompositorCache.package and the folder WorldCaches (if any of them exist) from Documents\ Electronic Arts\ The Sims 3.
8) Play the world! It's best if you can test without any mods installed (as certain mods like Awesome or Twallan's Overwatch can influence traffic). Also, make sure you have a backup of your valuable savegames, so that you won't lose anything if this explodes.
9) Please keep note of any glitches, broken things, odd things, good things that happen. You could also test some food trucks- download here if you don't already have them:
Truck
Parking Space
Both are in buydebug>Misc; you will probably have to place around 10-15 parking spaces with trucks on to be able to readily notice them driving around in your world.

tilarium, Bridgeport is a city and it has different ambient sounds, a different tooltip/ world type icon, traffic ('fake' taxis) and the food trucks drive around. In a suburb (or town, a non-city) the trucks do not drive around, there is no taxi traffic, the ambient sound is more country-like and the world type is 'suburb'. I haven't managed to figure out if the test above will give us the city ambient sounds yet, though.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#133 Old 4th Feb 2011 at 11:46 PM
I
How the heck do I use the food truck and parking spot? Seriously, I've avoided all custom content. What program do I use to get it into my game? I've already downloaded it. Do I need to extract it somewhere? I couldn't even see the file till I wondered where it went, and it said I already had it.

Better instructions and a link to the Wiki article on custom content here:
http://www.modthesims.info/showpost...100&postcount=3

They will be in the buydebug menu- use the following cheats:
testingcheatsenabled true
buydebug

And apparently you need to have at least three in your city for them to begin driving around.
Lab Assistant
#134 Old 5th Feb 2011 at 1:58 AM
I saw that page, but I'm still confused. Do I need to extract the file or something, and what program do I use to do that?

Better instructions and a link to the Wiki article on custom content here:
http://www.modthesims.info/showpost...100&postcount=3

They will be in the buydebug menu- use the following cheats:
testingcheatsenabled true
buydebug

And apparently you need to have at least three in your city for them to begin driving around.
Lab Assistant
#135 Old 5th Feb 2011 at 2:51 AM
Re-downloaded the food truck & parking spot, extracted them to the Packages folder, have the Resource.cfg in the Mods folder. But I must have missed a step. Do I need to extract the Resource file, and if so, my message says the file is incomplete or corrupted. When I go to the Game Launcher, the items are not there to install in my game.

I saw that page, but I'm still confused. Do I need to extract the file or something, and what program do I use to do that?

I do feel like an idiot here. I tweaked my whole world, but I can't figure out custom content.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#136 Old 5th Feb 2011 at 3:23 AM
The link in the download thread is what I wanted you to read- there are detailed instructions on installing package files:
http://www.simswiki.info/wiki.php?t...3_Package_Files
Mad Poster
#137 Old 5th Feb 2011 at 3:23 PM
Custom content like this isn't installed using the Launcher.

Scholar
#138 Old 6th Feb 2011 at 8:21 AM
Open the package in workshop, import it in and change it to a sims3.pack. That's what we do, our food truck and parking space is a Sims3.pack, which installs with the launcher, and it's deletable.
Test Subject
#139 Old 20th Feb 2011 at 8:47 PM
Well, I'm not sure whether that flag is the only thing marking a world as a city. As mentioned, I haven't had any luck making the food trucks work in Sunset or a custom world, it seems that I must be missing some kind of spawner or perhaps another flag/ resource for that. Shame, as the food trucks were what I was trying to fix!

Also, as Jasumi said, the WDDT string doesn't display correctly in a custom world with this resource added. You can see that on my first image above- the 'Jericho' world has a descripton which doesn't display, although it is there in the WDDT:

The WDDT for Sunset does display correctly though, even if I add the 'city' resource. The WDDT however takes a different form to that of a custom world, referencing something in the game files, or perhaps elsewhere in the World file, instead:

Bridgeport is similar to Sunset, having a reference instead of a text string:

All I know at this time is that the resource I isolated adds city traffic (those fake taxis with no driver), adds the city icon in the world selection screen (as well as the 'this is a late night city' tooltip) and breaks a custom world WDDT. More research is needed, as I'm not sure what else is different in a city to a suburb!

So, if any of you would like to add this file to Sunset, Twinbrook or a custom world and see what happens, or if you can get food trucks to work, please do! I could use some help!

(Food truck and parking space available here. )

Where we can change that ? I have download the ressource but it's not okay it'is not a city
Test Subject
#140 Old 20th Feb 2011 at 9:12 PM
Can you help me ? I can't change my world into a city ! I have do all it's explain but it's not ok ! could you make the change from the suburbs to the city for me?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#141 Old 20th Feb 2011 at 11:59 PM
Mad Poster
#142 Old 21st Feb 2011 at 12:07 AM
Have you used S3PE before? You will need to know how to use it to do this.

Test Subject
#143 Old 21st Feb 2011 at 4:18 PM
watthieu, try again- full instructions here:
http://www.modthesims.info/showpost...92&postcount=80

Very good, thank you I managed
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#144 Old 21st Feb 2011 at 4:58 PM
Well done, I'm glad you sorted it!
Test Subject
#145 Old 4th Mar 2011 at 8:09 AM
Hi now I have a problem when I play with my world ! The action hangs, and I can't do something just quit the game and restart ! Do you have a solution ? Thanks
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#146 Old 5th Mar 2011 at 3:39 PM
It's most likely to be a routing problem, check your lot designs and make sure any inaccessible lots are marked as 'no visitors'. If you still have problems with that then start another thread with some more detail about the world, as it's outside the scope of this thread.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#147 Old 12th Mar 2011 at 2:03 AM
For anyone interested in enabling the traffic (and food trucks) in their world without making the world into a city, Twallan has made a mod to enable the Traffic Manager:
http://www.the-isz.com/nraas/index.php?topic=446.0
This will not flag the world as a city, but you will have the taxis and food trucks driving around.
Lab Assistant
#148 Old 14th Mar 2011 at 2:07 AM
Would anyone mind telling me what else cities provide, other than traffic and food trucks? Because I'm debating whether to change my town to a city, or just download Twallan's mod.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#149 Old 15th Mar 2011 at 3:11 AM
Megshush, as far as i can tell the only difference between a city and a suburb apart from the traffic is the little symbol you get when selecting a world. If you click to start a new game you'll see that bridgeport has a different symbol to Sunset and custom worlds. The main reason I was looking into this was to get the traffic manager working, which twallan's mod now does. There may be differences I'm not aware of (perhaps with the opportunities), so maybe someone will post with information. But if you just want the traffic, try twallan's mod.
Mad Poster
#150 Old 15th Mar 2011 at 9:22 PM
I think I'll stick with turning my custom world into a city as I don't want the city traffic in my existing, non-city games.
If the designation as a city does affect opportunities though then that may cause an issue for inventor Sims as I have seen it listed in many places that inventors cannot build Simbots in Bridgeport. Hopefully that is just something bugged with Bridgeport and not the city classification.

Locked thread
Page 3 of 5