Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
#9576 Old 4th Jun 2020 at 2:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
At the risk of sounding conceited, can I be the master chef who somehow makes delicious food with only like three ingredients, just to remind people that you don't need to fly halfway around the world to stock up on saffron and himalayan salt to cook well?

Depends on the three ingredients. If you pick walnuts, peanuts and almonds, your gonna find things awfully dry. I suggest you phone a friend to bring over some nice Devonshire cream and Madagascan vanilla to help you out.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#9577 Old 5th Jun 2020 at 2:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
@yavannatw
Oh! When did you stop playing your Veronaville families? And may I ask why? I recall you were still playing them very recently. I remember that you deleted the pre-mades years ago when you first started to play the 'hood, but you'd been playing it successfully for so long that I thought you'd got away with it. (Or did you kill them?)

I didn't delete or kill the pre-mades when I started to play Veronaville; I just ignored them. Which meant I could easily integrate them into my game later. I know I'll never be able to stop playing my favourite CAS families in Veronaville. If the 'hood ever becomes unplayable I'd have to re-create them. Or, more likely, I'd just restore from a fairly recent backup and keep on playing. I can't live without Andrew and Gloria; I'm emotionally dependent on them. :lovestruc

Good memory! I stopped playing Veronaville last year when my founding family had reached the 10th generation, mostly because it was taking a long time to do one rotation of the neighbourhood and attached sub-hoods. I created a new founder for Belladonna Cove and then stopped playing for a few months. It took a while to even find him when I started playing again.
Yes, I deleted the premades several years ago when first playing, but Veronaville survived (unlike Pleasantview which started glitching a lot and I hadn't deleted any premades there). Lucky I guess. So if it starts corrupting now if I go back to it, it's a had a good 10 years or so playing. You can't say that about many games, regardless.
Scholar
#9578 Old 5th Jun 2020 at 6:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Diovanlestat
Depends on the three ingredients. If you pick walnuts, peanuts and almonds, your gonna find things awfully dry. I suggest you phone a friend to bring over some nice Devonshire cream and Madagascan vanilla to help you out.

Pasta, pinto beans, and chilli powder make a pretty decent meal, although greatly improved by garlic, some form of tomatoes (including ketchup), and perhaps some onion.

I was expecting the wonders of modern technology to be added to Sim reproduction...not changelings! That mod is beyond anything I would have imagined, and it looks to be actually useful too. Now I know why I allowed all those odd-looking townies to spawn...
Forum Resident
#9579 Old 5th Jun 2020 at 7:20 AM Last edited by Diovanlestat : 5th Jun 2020 at 7:24 AM. Reason: Due to restrictions we can't afford additional unwanted grammar
After working hard all week, I finally found the source of my sims game crashing. Seems 17gb of downloads is all my computer (1Tb, muti-core i7, 2.50ghz,12288 Ram) can cope with. Now comes the hard part. I got to make HARD CHOICES. What gets dumped and what can stay? I could dress everyone like Maxis tramps and give them great new hairstyles. They can have a ton of furniture in only grey, recolours are forbidden. It's not fair... why am I being punished this way? Xmas has been cancelled forever because there ain't no space for celebrations in my game!
Alchemist
#9580 Old 5th Jun 2020 at 10:10 AM
After working hard all week, I finally found the source of my sims game crashing. Seems 17gb of downloads is all my computer (1Tb, muti-core i7, 2.50ghz,12288 Ram) can cope with. Now comes the hard part. I got to make HARD CHOICES. What gets dumped and what can stay? I could dress everyone like Maxis tramps and give them great new hairstyles. They can have a ton of furniture in only grey, recolours are forbidden. It's not fair... why am I being punished this way? Xmas has been cancelled forever because there ain't no space for celebrations in my game!

Huh, I have been viciously trimming my downloads folder to reduce loading time and catalogue cramp. I had around 6.5 gb. After compressing and removing stuff, (still in process, as it always is!) I have less than 5.5gb in my downloads folder. I happened to be in the mood for a cleanout, so I am dumping various things I have dithered about for ages and never used.

We obviously have different ideas about what cc is essentia! I'm sorry you are having to make hard choices.

My new downloads are on my Pillowfort
Forum Resident
#9581 Old 5th Jun 2020 at 10:32 AM
Thanks @aelflaed, I'm so stupidly irritated at the moment that I forgot about compression. Thank you for your kind words and wise help, I'll go try some of that.
Forum Resident
#9582 Old 5th Jun 2020 at 1:05 PM
All this discussion about 40gb CC this and 17gb CC that made me curious as to how much CC *I* have in my game.

...432mb. Huh. I wonder how custom y'all's game is that you have so much CC.
Forum Resident
#9583 Old 5th Jun 2020 at 1:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sugoisama
All this discussion about 40gb CC this and 17gb CC that made me curious as to how much CC *I* have in my game.

Indeed, I'm just greedy and I see that now. My game is totally customised and I should be thankful at that. Even with no cc at all, Sims 2 is great and totally playable. Ir's just after playing daily for 16 years you get tempted by the new. Most stuff is little changes to gameplay, additional gameplay that we should have had (dog shows, pkb animals) new clothes and hair, and furniture that I couldn't resist. onversions from other sims games (castaway rafts and climable trees). Just a few pieces here and there. :p
Mad Poster
#9584 Old 5th Jun 2020 at 4:03 PM
I forgot that rugs were flammable and put one right in front of the fireplace...

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Forum Resident
#9585 Old 5th Jun 2020 at 4:05 PM

My game now is about the Sims in it. Lots of hair, hundreds of skintones, more than forty different body shapes, and oodles and oodles of clothing to make them as individual as possible. I also have quite a bit of deco so not all families have the same floors, wall coverings, tables, appliances, beds and other home decor.

Back in the glory days of the game, I used to enter photo contests and having a variety of custom content was essential for scoring well in those competitions. I wrote stories as well so I needed CC for decorating sets (lots) to be hospitals, airports, businesses, downtown streets, etc. I still have all that CC clutter in my game from back then.

All of my Conversions, Creations and Stories may be found here:
HobbesED's Conversions and Creations

My most recently shared items (with pictures) may also be found here:
HobbesED's Dreamwidth

Mad Poster
#9586 Old 5th Jun 2020 at 7:36 PM

Before you start dumping everything, give this tutorial a try https://withlovefromsimtown.tumblr....ts2-cc-hoarders

My computer informs me that I have just over 3GB in my TS2 Downloads folder.

Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
I forgot that rugs were flammable and put one right in front of the fireplace...

You know those are flammable irl too, right?
Forum Resident
#9587 Old 5th Jun 2020 at 10:29 PM
Thanks Rosawyn, more help ideas are great. They even spelt my name right "DiovanLestat a TS2 CC-hoarder" :p

@aelflaed - just remembered, it was all that glorious useable food/toiletry/petstuff that finally done me in, and I'm refusing to get rid of any of them.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9588 Old 5th Jun 2020 at 10:53 PM

There's a long running thread (started by discordkitty) about how much CC we have. I've just revived it so you can all post in it.

------------------------------------- 00000000000000000000000000 -------------------------------------

You don't need to hire a maid if you've got a Virgo child in your household. Scot Philippine's little face lit up when he saw this filthy toilet to clean!
Screenshots

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Top Secret Researcher
#9589 Old 6th Jun 2020 at 2:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre

I lost the house guest and almost the mother and child because of that!

Omnia - Fantasy / Mythological / Medieval Hood
Ephemera MoreColorful - SimpleSkin Recolors
Alchemist
#9590 Old 6th Jun 2020 at 4:23 AM
All this discussion about 40gb CC this and 17gb CC that made me curious as to how much CC *I* have in my game. ...432mb. Huh. I wonder how custom y'all's game is that you have so much CC.

....What... What is this? Surely a typo? Sorcery?

K, now that I got the jokes out of my system, let's see... My downloads are back to over 20 GB, currently at 21.2 GB. My clothes folders are about 7 GB (6.81 to be exact). Hair folders are just over 3 GB--and this is after spending a considerable amount of time working on it, mind you. I've spent months renaming, previewing, and finding the right colors for the stuff in there. I could probably cut this down if I cut out Pooklet hairs, but every now and then I like a sim to have a Pooklet blonde or red hair. I could also bundle, compress, and slave some things, especially the clothes, but I'm nowhere near that stage in my download clean up. Plus I don't really like slaving clothes. Though I do probably have some things I can get rid of. Clothes that I just don't use anymore, or clothes that I like, but don't use because I hate the shoes. (I have an irrational hatred for flats. Maybe cuz I don't really wear them irl, idk. In any case, I keep downloading things with them, but then never let my sims wear them. I seriously need to learn how to shoe swap.)

My buy mode stuff--furniture, deco, etc., is another 6-7 GB. I'm currently working on cutting this stuff down--not just cuz I can't bear to part with some older clothes still laying around in my folder --but also because as I'm building more, I'm noticing that 1. There's a ton of stuff in the catalog that I never ever use and 2. There's a ton of stuff in the catalog I'd like to use, but I can't ever find, cuz so much other crap is in the way. Then I've probably got another GB each for recolors and build mode stuff--again working on cutting these down for the catalog factor. I've too many wallpapers that I've only used once, if at all over the years, or too many of the same thing (how many siding recolors does a simmer really need, you know?), or too many colors--(I can't possible need all of the Pooklet and Anna recolors of an item, right?? There's only so many greens and blues and purples you need! Plus it takes forever to scroll through! ).

That Lifa tutorial was interesting; I don't have too much trouble with crashing because of conflicts--it's more long load times and crashing because of too much cc (or too much high poly cc). Anyway, I started sorting my mods by categories. Ex: Visitors-Walkbys, Money-Finances-Jobs, School-Grades, Aspirations-Rewards-Wants-Memories, etc. That makes it a bit easier to spot conflicts because when I install a new mod I can double check the category of mod to see if there's anything that looks like it might touch the same resources. It's not 100% perfect (I probably need more categories and some time to get used to the new system) but it helps a bunch.

Another tip, though, is to get the Renamer. I learned about it from Peppermint-Ginger and it is awesome. I used to use Bulk Utility Renamer (and still do sometimes, for quick inserts), but Renamer is much better if you're serious about renaming your files. It lets you create rules and then save presets. :lovestruc I cannot stress to you all how amazing that is. I love it so much I bought the full version. You don't have to, as you can create some pretty long rules, but I did. It's worth it, imo. So for example, I have a generic preset that I set up to separate all capitalized words and then insert dashes, change underscores and spaces to dashes, change common terms to my preferred abbreviations (like changing 3to2, TS3toTS2, etc. to 3t2 or recolor to RC), style certain words (so like making sure "mesh", "slave", "master", and "collection" are all always uppercase or colors are always capitalized), and trim/delete special characters, to name a few things. It makes cleaning up files from creators I download from frequently a breeze and I don't have to manually type in all the little things I do all the time. It's just, well, awesome. At this point, the only thing Bulk Utility has going for it is that it lets you preview files as you do things like insertions or move things, while with Renamer you create rules in a separate window. Sometimes I want to do things like move the word mesh to the end or move a creator's name to the beginning or middle of a file name and it's just easier to visualize those things with Bulk Utility. But for like 80-90% of things, Renamer = .

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Forum Resident
#9591 Old 7th Jun 2020 at 11:55 AM
My ears want financial compensation.
Screenshots
Scholar
#9592 Old 7th Jun 2020 at 3:17 PM
Random thought... My popularity sims seem to excel at woohooing multiple people and my romance sims seem to have oodles of friends. Hmm.
Top Secret Researcher
#9593 Old 7th Jun 2020 at 5:07 PM
My ears want financial compensation.

Have you tried leaving a toddler in the high chair? That scream gives you nightmares.

Top Secret Researcher
#9594 Old 9th Jun 2020 at 8:59 PM
Crashed 8 seconds before saving time... Love you too sims... (I'm missing a certain finger emoji here)

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9595 Old 10th Jun 2020 at 1:09 PM Last edited by AndrewGloria : 10th Jun 2020 at 7:01 PM.
My hair is now longer than Andrew's!

The reason isn't hard to find. Due to the lockdown it hasn't been cut since February. In some ways Sims are lucky that their hair doesn't grow. Mine is not only long, but is getting to be uncomfortable. And unmanageable -- I'm having a succession of bad hair days. It's getting into my eyes at the side, which irritates me. (Maybe a punishment for giving some of my Sims long hair that must get into their eyes.) I wonder if my Sims can see what a mess I look. It's longer now than it's been at any time since I was in my late teens / early twenties -- which wasn't yesterday. I'm more than a little envious of Andrew, whose hair is always just right. And Julian's Hanui CC hair is even better. I'd be happy enough to have mine like Andrew's - a Maxis style.

Since I'm at fairly high risk of Covid-19, I don't see any prospect of my hairdresser cutting it for the foreseeable future. Even if I could go to Miriam Hunter in Bluewater, I don't know if I'd trust her with my hair. She's still learning her trade! I generally discourage my would-be hairdressers from charging customers until they've got at least a bronze cosmetology badge. Of course there's Aidan Jamieson in New Desconia; he's got a silver cosmetology badge. But he's never actually cut anybody's hair -- he's too busy working as the rather popular DJ at his boyfriend's nightclub!

So, do you think I should reach for the time-honoured method, get out the kitchen bowl, and ask my aged mother to cut my hair round it? Come to think of it, this base game Maxis style looks as if it might be a bowl haircut:
Only boys (children and teens) seem to be able to get it. This one is Scot Philippine, a Veronaville townie, but he's likely to become a playable soon -- his teenage sister Nancy has already become playable, and she's trying to persuade him to move in. (I quite often create relationships between townies with the same surname.) Actually I don't think his hair looks too bad at all. But would the style suit me? After all, I am a little bit older than Scot!

Apologies for my incoherent musings!

[EDIT] Andrew has pointed out one advantage which I undoubtedly do have over him -- I'm old enough not to be bothered by acne. So my hair may be a total unmanageable mess, but at least I don't have huge ugly plooks appearing on my face!
Screenshots

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Mad Poster
#9596 Old 10th Jun 2020 at 4:27 PM
Now I got curious because you did not add an image of a hair and I opened Body Shop. The base game hair what Andrew wears is available for all ages but the other one "pot hair" has tag of University EP and is available for YA and above http://prntscr.com/sxaze0 Now I wonder if it is possible to make YA hair be available for adults or maybe even for elders if someone makes gray recolor.
Mad Poster
#9597 Old 10th Jun 2020 at 4:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Annaminna
Now I got curious because you did not add an image of a hair and I opened Body Shop. The base game hair what Andrew wears is available for all ages but the other one "pot hair" has tag of University EP and is available for YA and above http://prntscr.com/sxaze0 Now I wonder if it is possible to make YA hair be available for adults or maybe even for elders if someone makes gray recolor.

The image 404'd: https://thumbs2.modthesims2.com/img/...HaircutBoy2.jpg

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9598 Old 10th Jun 2020 at 7:28 PM
Sorry about my picture not showing up. I originally attached it to the post, but I "sat on" the half-written post for a couple of days, repeatedly clicking on the Refresh Preview button. When I finally posted, the picture wasn't showing below the post as an attachment, but it was showing for me in the body of the post behind the spoiler tags. So I presumed it must be on the MTS server somewhere and everyone would be able to see it.

I only realised there was a problem when I saw your posts.

I've now re-uploaded it (with a new URL) and attached it so I think it's ok now. The only reason I could still see it was that my computer must have had it cached somewhere. Please let me know if you still can't see it.

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Mad Poster
#9599 Old 10th Jun 2020 at 10:05 PM
AndrewGloria, with all respect I suggest you raid your mom's stuff and see if she's got some hair bands or something you can use to pull your hair back. Long hair may not be your thing, but unless she's got some experience cutting hair, the chances of bad results are quite high.

Of course, I do think long hair can look quite dignified if well cared for on a man.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Mad Poster
#9600 Old 10th Jun 2020 at 10:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
(I quite often create relationships between townies with the same surname.)

I do this too. If two sims in my hood have the same last name, they're related! That's the rule!
Page 384 of 516