Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Recoloured chimneys (EP-ready)

by Numenor Posted 23rd Jan 2005 at 1:32 AM - Updated 11th Oct 2005 at 7:03 PM by Numenor : Converted packages to EP-ready format

77 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 75 Feedback Posts, 1 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 3 of 4
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#51 Old 12th Mar 2005 at 12:42 PM
I'm not that clever with transparent floors and roofs. We should ask RGiles. Anyway, the roof texture is very complex: a lot of pieces used by the game for each part of the roof, it's like a puzzle. So I think that a *framed* glass roof it's impossible. Maybe a *completely* glass roof...
Test Subject
#52 Old 14th Mar 2005 at 5:50 PM
SWEET!!! Thank you!
Field Researcher
#53 Old 31st Jul 2005 at 11:36 PM
Thanx love the glass one!
Lab Assistant
#54 Old 10th Nov 2005 at 8:37 PM
Thank you thank you thank you! I've been waiting FOREVER for this!

Scientists say 1 out of every 4 people is crazy. Check 3 friends - if they are okay, you're it!
Lab Assistant
#55 Old 1st Jan 2006 at 9:03 PM
Woohoo!
Thank you so much!

From all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most
Test Subject
#56 Old 12th Mar 2006 at 5:11 PM
When I tried to recolor the chimney, in buy mode, it says "This object is not designable." I have the latest CEP and OFB. I used to be able to change the chimneys, and I am not sure if my problem is OFB or the CEP, or neither. I realized I didn't have the latest version of CEP, so I downloaded it and then noticed I couldn't recolor. But I also just installed OFB, so I can't figure out what my problem might be. Do I need to redownload all of your recolors, Numenor? To make them work with OFB?
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#57 Old 12th Mar 2006 at 5:32 PM Last edited by Numenor : 12th Mar 2006 at 6:49 PM.
Let me check...

EDIT:
I've checked in my game (all EPs including OFB).
I had no problems in recolouring the chimneys, EXCEPT in this only case:
when the fireplace is put in open space (i.e. not inside a house), I couldn't recolour the chimney cap (all the other sections of the chimney were correctly recoloured, one by one, as usual).

When the fireplace is put into a house, I could recolour all the chimney sections.

I wonder what it's happening, because another user told me that some *custom* fireplaces (that were cloned with the CEP, and thus they *were* recolourable), now aren't recolourable any more...

If I understand what is the problem (and why in my game I can't replicate it...), I'll post here the news.

P.S. Do you have custom fireplaces in the Downloads?

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Test Subject
#58 Old 12th Mar 2006 at 7:36 PM Last edited by Arielle : 12th Mar 2006 at 10:30 PM. Reason: some more things I tried
Yes, I have some custom fireplaces, although the one I was trying to recolor was a Maxis fireplace.

Oh, I forgot, at one point I couldn't recolor the chimney cap either, then it started working again, and then stopped altogether. Very strange.

Edit: I was looking through my custom fireplaces, and there is one particular one that still says Gentrific, but when I put it in the house, there is no chimney. I do know that several other items from this particular site totally overwrote some of my Maxis files and I deleted them, but I forgot about getting this fireplace from there. I will shut down my game, disable this fireplace, then see if I still have the problem. I doubt Buntah's fireplace is the culprit, and my others are not working fireplaces, for the most part, just facades and such.

It's going to take a bit, though - takes forever to shut down and restart with my gazillion downloads!

Edit 2: I disabled/deleted ANY and ALL custom fireplaces/stoves that had the option to "light" - Buntah's modern fireplace, BobL's gas fireplace, somebody else's potbellied stove (can't remember whose, sorry), and I still get the message that "This object is not designable."
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#59 Old 13th Mar 2006 at 1:04 AM
Arielle, thanks for your accurate report; but I don't know how to help you
Have you tried moving the not-recolourable fireplaces out of the house and then back in? This will force the redrawing of the chimneys, and possibly solve the problem. All the chimneys I tested were obviously freshly taken from the catalog: maybe this is the difference?

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Test Subject
#60 Old 14th Mar 2006 at 12:23 AM
I did some more testing and got some really strange results. The problem must lie with something in my game.

I have only have one business district, Bluewater Village, which is associated with the neighborhood, Paradise Island.

In Bluewater Village, existing chimneys (that came with the neighborhood, such as Malcolm Landgraab IV) of all types can be recolored, but no new chimneys of any type can be recolored. Malcolm's is a Gentrific, and if I take the existing fireplace out, and put a new one in, the chimney loses its recolorability.

In all my other regular neighborhoods, pre-existing chimneys of all types can still be recolored. Gentrific (most expensive) only cannot be recolored when put in as new. All other fireplace/chimney types can be recolored when put in new.

I'll figure out why eventually!
Test Subject
#61 Old 31st May 2006 at 12:15 AM
I am also having the problem with the most expensive fireplace chimney not being recolorable. The other 2 fireplace styles recolor with no problems. Has anyone figured out what's up with this? I don't have OFB and I have the latest CEP.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Test Subject
#62 Old 23rd Jun 2006 at 10:42 PM
Great - thank you. However, the chimney cap part doesn't work with the design tool.

Have I done something wrong?

lulu
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#63 Old 24th Jun 2006 at 3:14 PM
The chimneys are not "perfectly recolourable" objects; up to UNI they worked fine, but the newer EPs must have changed the managament of the chimneys, I'm not sure. What I know for sure is that with NL, OFB or FFS the chimneys can become partly not-recolourable, or anyway unstable.

It's not your fault, then; but I don't know how to fix them anyway...

Test Subject
#64 Old 4th Sep 2006 at 6:24 AM Last edited by KatrinaBrinckman : 9th Nov 2006 at 5:16 AM. Reason: found download causing problem
I have never had any problem with the recolors until now. I have Uni, NL, OFB and FFS and I did not have problems with them. I got the GLS and now they do not work. Houses that I had recolored the chimneys are still recolored but now I can not change the color. I also can not change the color anymore on new chimneys. Just thought I would let you know....I finally figured out what when wrong...I deleted a fireplace recolor and they worked again.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#65 Old 3rd Oct 2006 at 1:59 AM
Attention, creators of custom fireplaces!

From now on, your job will be easier, if you use the Enhanced Templates for custom fireplaces with working chimneys.

Whoever has already created a custom fireplace is strongly adviced to read that thread too, because many existing custom fireplaces are known to cause problems to the users' games.

As for the problem of the recolours being unstable, in most cases this is due to a (bad) custom fireplace you have installed. Try removing all the custom fireplaces, and see if the recolouring problems are gone.

The only exception is when the fireplace is placed on the ground, in the open air (outdoors): in this only case, the top section (cap) of the chimneys is not recolourable, and this is not caused by custom fireplaces; it must be a bug or limit of the game itself.

Lab Assistant
#66 Old 7th Nov 2006 at 2:28 AM
Ty TY Ty :D
Lab Assistant
#67 Old 7th Nov 2006 at 10:10 PM Last edited by GracieSimll : 26th Nov 2006 at 3:39 AM. Reason: forgot to update
Numenor , I am having a problem..may not be you, but seems to be related to your recolor. My game is crashing everytime I recolor the fireplace and enter build mode after leaving or try to change while right after the recolour..I went to another lot and did not apply the recolour and the game was fine. I have all EP's including Pets and Stuff packs FFS,GLS.
I do have one custom fireplace that is in my downloads, but was not applied to this lot.
**note I am not having a problem with the recolour itself..that works like a charm/ just the game after the recolour

**** ISSUE RESOLVED ****
Lab Assistant
#68 Old 6th Mar 2007 at 1:32 AM
Not sure if it's just my game or not or w/e but the recolourable chimneys isn't working since Seasons O.o
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#69 Old 6th Mar 2007 at 12:24 PM
I haven't tested them in Seasons, yet; but - as said earlier - the recolourable chimneys are quite unstable since Nightlife came out.

Lab Assistant
#70 Old 7th Mar 2007 at 11:07 AM
It's been oki for me since I had nightlife. Every EP I've installed htis has worked wi... But now the chimneys aren't even clickable for recolouring.
Kinda puzzled me for a bit til I realised it was a download that allowed me to do it before.
Test Subject
#71 Old 20th Mar 2007 at 11:40 PM
I'm having the same problem as Nallis, I think it is Seasons affecting the way the fireplaces work. To pinpoint it more closely, the chimneys I put into lots BEFORE installing Seasons are still recolourable in Seasons, but any new ones I have added since then are not. I had no problem with previous expansion or stuff packs, incl. FFS and OFB.

Annoying, but there you go....
Could this be fixed by using the BGS?

Julie
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#72 Old 22nd Mar 2007 at 9:53 PM
I don't think so. Or better, probably the chimneys would be recolourable in a pre-NL game created with the BGS, but when you move the lot into your seasons game, you will probably experience the same problems, and the chimneys might revert to the default colour.

Lab Assistant
#73 Old 16th May 2007 at 8:26 AM Last edited by Nallis : 19th May 2007 at 3:22 PM.
Strangely enough when I ran the sims yesterday, the recolouring chimneys worked, and t'was in a brand new lot I'd created, so I guess it just works sometimes and sometimes doesn't. O.o
Hmm, I think it might have been since Celebrations has bin installed that it works again now actually. Not sure tho ofcourse.
Field Researcher
#74 Old 8th Aug 2007 at 3:52 AM
this is quite exquiset. theres incredible modders like you, and incedible morons, like me.

my personal life can be supported by veiwing this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n2z-Q6x6eU and others on my youtube page. I believe there's a few building tutorials there aswell. I create rather sporadically, so excuse me if I'm gone from this website for months or years at a time.
Test Subject
#75 Old 21st Oct 2007 at 3:11 PM
They don't work I still have the old chimney???
Page 3 of 4