Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#126 Old 23rd Aug 2011 at 1:34 AM
Give me some time, its a bit raw as it started out as just a bit of fun.
I just grabbed an existing file from something else and edited it.
So its got a plugin that's largely pointless full of mapping routines that were fro something else.
basically its just an html page with javascript to roll out the hex as a text string
I just cut and paste it into HxD and it seems very happy to do all the hard work for me.
I'll try to tidy it up and detach it.

C'est la vie, they say, because they can't change their world, but, we can! That's why we have CAW! :rolleyes:
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#127 Old 23rd Aug 2011 at 1:56 AM
No hurry, I only asked because I thought you'd finished it!
Lab Assistant
#128 Old 23rd Aug 2011 at 3:12 AM
Mine works with out force one tile on but force one tile does seem to to work fine and force one tile lowers the file size a lot.

SandrineD may I look at your tool to see how you make group 1? Are you making it a spiral like EA's or a grid?

For everyone else does any one want custom shaped planes? I can make a tool to do it but it would be much more complex and unless planes are not clipping for you there is no use for it and they will not be as close to EA's as rectangle planes are.
Lab Assistant
#129 Old 23rd Aug 2011 at 8:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by buxcosim
which I renamed to 707...004 so it woudn't conflict with the other two I was using

Do you have a 000,001,002 and 003? There shouldn't be any spaces.
Lab Assistant
#130 Old 23rd Aug 2011 at 8:17 AM
in a way it is finished, its just untidy because it was just... <insert excuse here> ... something
chris, currently just used tiling for tiles as it appear to render well, however I have followed their pattern for the order of rendering of the four triangles in each tile [STWW] I am considering adding a sequencer to do it in their pattern [spiral] but I don't know if I'll bother.
I'd rather focus on trying to change other things like flow direction and water textures and what are those other things in the files

C'est la vie, they say, because they can't change their world, but, we can! That's why we have CAW! :rolleyes:
Lab Assistant
#131 Old 23rd Aug 2011 at 8:40 AM
I always do the 4 triangles same order as them. I set gird to the default and you only get a spiral if you check the box for it. Force one tile just uses 4 triangles that are stretched. I tried changing the 03000000 to 04000000 then edited group one to have only the 4 corners, but that didn't work.
Lab Assistant
#132 Old 23rd Aug 2011 at 10:19 AM
Just had to ad one more, back to bluewater, double digits [hex] number of water planes

Lab Assistant
#133 Old 23rd Aug 2011 at 11:17 AM
here it is with even more planes, zoomed in on the new ones
these are single tilers [added that option] and yes they appear to render just the same!
mainly this exp was to play with the 0101 00 00 values and it makes no difference at all
Couldn't resist intentionally misdrawing the triangles on the last one just to see it

Lab Assistant
#134 Old 23rd Aug 2011 at 11:37 AM
When you think about it you could probably do a custom shape water plane using single tile.
I wonder what would happen if you listed enough vertices for 5 triangles using only one tile!?
oh, and here's something new ... sorry for the mass pic posting

Lab Assistant
#135 Old 23rd Aug 2011 at 2:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by zaide_chris
For everyone else does any one want custom shaped planes? I can make a tool to do it but it would be much more complex and unless planes are not clipping for you there is no use for it and they will not be as close to EA's as rectangle planes are.

Quote: Originally posted by SandrineD
When you think about it you could probably do a custom shape water plane using single tile.
I wonder what would happen if you listed enough vertices for 5 triangles using only one tile!?

I was thinking a tool that let the user set the number of triangles then the X and Z for each
point then set X1 to the lowest X, X2 to the Highest X, then same for the Zs. I'm just iffy on group 2 should it be a rectangle or should it be more of a pixelated version of group 1? Also iffy on group 3 same thing comes up for it.
Lab Assistant
#136 Old 23rd Aug 2011 at 2:46 PM
changing the 03 00 00 00 to anything other than 00 00 00 00 or FF FF FF FF does nothing, choosing one of those two means it is not rendered.
also regarding the 0101 00 00 in D2 sections seems to do nothing except if you use 01 00 oddly enough 00 00 and 00 01 work fine.
Going to test some others...

Lab Assistant
#137 Old 23rd Aug 2011 at 2:51 PM
frankly chris i was thinking along the same lines as you can probably guess.
but, then, are we wasting time on a gimmick? I don't know!? since the terrain will trim them anyway.
still, it is interesting.
after all we currently have models that actually work an appear to render well, so....

I would like to know what the unknowns are and they seem unfathomable as yet
moreso, in practical terms, I would like to know how we can use diff textures instead of just the same one for all
also it would be good to control the flow dir/speed

Lab Assistant
#138 Old 23rd Aug 2011 at 5:15 PM Last edited by SandrineD : 23rd Aug 2011 at 10:43 PM.
Default More weirdness and BC 7F 04
testing the BC 7F 04 part of the vertices unknown since 80 FF 80 seems term.
from left to right
BC 7F 04
1. all changed to BC 7F 03
2. first tri [3v] changed to BC 7F 03
3. 2nd vert changed to BC 5F 04
4. last vert changed to BC 7F 03
5. first tri changed to BC 5F 04
nb-keep in mind the middle one was already pentagonal from my prev exp with 5 triangles.
Can anyone make any sense of that

Lab Assistant
#139 Old 23rd Aug 2011 at 10:42 PM
I happened to zoom out on this later to see how far the fourth one pointed out and discovered where the missing triangle went... see image
but just what is that new square tile?

Lab Assistant
#140 Old 24th Aug 2011 at 1:17 AM
testing the BC 7F 04 part of the vertices unknown since 80 FF 80 seems term.
from left to right
BC 7F 04
1. all changed to BC 7F 03
3. 2nd vert changed to BC 5F 04
4. last vert changed to BC 7F 03
5. first tri changed to BC 5F 04
nb-keep in mind the middle one was already pentagonal from my prev exp with 5 triangles.
Can anyone make any sense of that

I would say it looks like the 04 00 is the scale of the X and Z cords for the polys vs the scale the X1, Z1, X2 and Z2 use.
More tests are would be needed to test the idea.

Edit about the "new" tile you sure you didn't have 2 tiles right on top of each other? I've done that a few times while testing.
Lab Assistant
#141 Old 24th Aug 2011 at 3:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
buxcosim, try just a single 707 with the 906 from Twinbrook. That will tell you whether it's a problem with your 707 or with the 906!
That's what I was thinking of trying next. I spent last night working on lots, so I didn't actually get to test it. I'm so easily distracted...

Quote: Originally posted by simsample
I'm glad you remember the fishing working, I thought I was going mad!
I always used to send a Sim from a large household to fish by the drainpipes in Twinbrook's lake because there were too many people in that house to keep track of! I have another Sim who fishes in the highest raised lake in Bridgeport and who always comes home with a full inventory as well.

Do you have a 000,001,002 and 003? There shouldn't be any spaces.
That's weird, I'm actually using planes #3 and #5 from Bridgeport (and I didn't rename them), but not #1, 2, or 4, so I chose 004 because I knew it wouldn't conflict. Should I rename 003 and 005 as well so that 003, 004, and 005 become 000, 001, 002? Maybe that's the issue right there and I've just been lucky!
Lab Assistant
#142 Old 24th Aug 2011 at 6:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by buxcosim
That's weird, I'm actually using planes #3 and #5 from Bridgeport (and I didn't rename them), but not #1, 2, or 4, so I chose 004 because I knew it wouldn't conflict. Should I rename 003 and 005 as well so that 003, 004, and 005 become 000, 001, 002? Maybe that's the issue right there and I've just been lucky!

I would keep them in order with no spaces just to be safe.

If you don't get the first water plane you got working can you please upload it and tell me what settings you used (If there are bugs I want to kill them).
Lab Assistant
#143 Old 24th Aug 2011 at 9:18 AM Last edited by SandrineD : 24th Aug 2011 at 10:54 AM.
I would say it looks like the 04 00 is the scale of the X and Z cords for the polys vs the scale the X1, Z1, X2 and Z2 use.
More tests are would be needed to test the idea.

Edit about the "new" tile you sure you didn't have 2 tiles right on top of each other? I've done that a few times while testing.

That's the first thing I thought so I did a quick visual recount of the MANY WP's.
Guess I must have been too tired ? or forgot computers count from 0 or something.
dblchecked everything and lo behold Ox11 and 0x12 were the same [before edits]
still, at least that means observ are consistent. So a few more with diff edits...

BC 7F 04
1. all changed to BC 7F 05
2. first tri [3v] changed to BC 7F 05
3. 2nd vert changed to BC 1F 04
4. last vert changed to BC 7F 05
5. first tri changed to BC 1F 04
6. first vert changed to BC 1F 04
#6 added since I 'found' the new one!

Lab Assistant
#144 Old 24th Aug 2011 at 10:03 AM Last edited by zaide_chris : 24th Aug 2011 at 10:25 AM.
BC 7F when set to FF FF makes the tiles go transparent. But sadly it seems to have no effect in EIG mode.

Also I edited my tool to let you set BC 7F 04 00 to what ever you want for all the points. Just one or a few would take more coding then I'm willing to do at this time.
Unknown 1: BC,Unknown 2: 7F,Unknown 3: 04,Unknown 4: 00 note my page takes int not hex.

Edit:
Quote:

Did you change it to 03 or 05 if you set it to 03 the results are not consistent with your other changes in that post nor are they consistent with your first post of editing BC 7F 03 also don't forget the 00 right after those 3 it may do some thing too, but i agree the 80ff80 kind of looks like a that's just a spacer.
Lab Assistant
#145 Old 24th Aug 2011 at 10:29 AM
goodness we are so blind! of course we already knew what the 04 was!
remember the triangle vertices, we had to multiply by 4 to get the same numbers they used?
get it now?
It all makes sense.
as for BC 7F I swear that's just a marker
I've seen it before I think, or was that just the opening tag to a VSS password file !? :?

Lab Assistant
#146 Old 24th Aug 2011 at 10:33 AM
Just noticed you replied in the meanwhile.
the first time I changed 04 to 05 and everything moved down and left
second time I changed 04 to 03 and everything moved up and right
I see now I mistyped the list in too much hurry to post
I was about to test BC 7F, I see you made a start... so its opacity?
more to come

Lab Assistant
#147 Old 24th Aug 2011 at 10:37 AM
I put up the idea the 04 was for the scale of the X and Z of the cords in post 141 and you even quoted it in 144
Lab Assistant
#148 Old 24th Aug 2011 at 10:47 AM
Just noticed you replied in the meanwhile.
the first time I changed 04 to 05 and everything moved down and left
second time I changed 04 to 03 and everything moved up and right
I see now I mistyped the list in too much hurry to post
I was about to test BC 7F, I see you made a start... so its opacity?
more to come

Ok this is crazy i set the BC 7F values of 16 tiles to 11 11, 22 22,.... ee ee, ff ff
loaded them in to a map. 11 11 to 88 88 where normal 99 99 to ff ff transparent but after loading them in EIG then Saveing in EIG when i load CAW they are all normal. I will rip the files out and check later but it's late here and my classes just started this week and well sadly no one is dragging my sleep bar up for me.
Lab Assistant
#149 Old 24th Aug 2011 at 10:51 AM
how did that line go again!?

"I guess we must just be too highly tuned"

by the way that's 03 is down left 05 is up right
a mistype of a mistype, must be some kind of record

ps - if we were really smart we would have seen it earlier
pps - In the best of traditions I corrected the original typo in post 144... now where do I get my manila envelope

Lab Assistant
#150 Old 24th Aug 2011 at 10:58 AM
I couldn't resist taking quick peek even tho I really need to sleep. The files looks like EIG "Fixed" them or something I attached both the before and after files.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  WaterPlanes.zip (11.1 KB, 32 downloads) - View custom content
Description: testing of the BC 7F unknowns
Page 6 of 9