Replies: 11960 (Who?), Viewed: 1479767 times.
Page 475 of 479
Mad Poster
#11851 Old 19th Jan 2020 at 1:33 AM
Seems like npc roomates have no awareness of their surroundings.

*stares judgingly as NPC roomates prepare food despise there already several cutting boards place on the countertops <_<*

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
#11852 Old 19th Jan 2020 at 1:29 PM
Sounds perfectly realistic then. Don't see your issue.

Hypocrisy is only okay if I do it.
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Theorist
#11853 Old 20th Jan 2020 at 1:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by igazor
... from up in space, we can see that there is land way out there beyond where regular public transportation can take us....
I was skeptical, but now I believe you because I checked. Oklahoma City is over 1500 square km, and there are several over 1000 square km. This suggests that many US cities have places in them that are over the horizon from other places in them. I wouldn't care to take a city bus on that long of a trip, even if any ran such a route.

Moral: be careful around Igazor. Among his many skills, he does what professional humorists call "kidding on the straight."

Ronnie de Noube - Comic and Blog; Twallan Sunset Valley National Laboratory and our Protein Folding Team (now in the top 1000 all-time contributors!)
@)->-----
Mad Poster
#11854 Old 20th Jan 2020 at 2:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_deNoube
Moral: be careful around Igazor. Among his many skills, he does what professional humorists call "kidding on the straight."

Had to think about this for a minute, but am choosing to take it as a compliment. I mean, as long as we aren't talking about giving directions to someone who is lost and frightened, taking someone into an area of their computer they have never seen before, or dispensing medical advice (which I wouldn't be qualified to do anyway), having to take some time to weed out the intentionally humorous nonsense from the real answers in responses to questions in less stress inducing environments should be par for the course. It takes us some time to come up with these answers, why shouldn't it take the reader some time to figure out which is the meaningful signal vs. the random or possibly only partially fact based noise included therein just for fun?

PS - Regarding the post this one was referencing, some of my best friends over the years could best be described as mutants even if they do prefer to call themselves commuters.
Mad Poster
#11855 Old 20th Jan 2020 at 2:11 PM Last edited by AGuyCalledPi : 20th Jan 2020 at 2:26 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_deNoube
I was skeptical, but now I believe you because I checked. Oklahoma City is over 1500 square km, and there are several over 1000 square km. This suggests that many US cities have places in them that are over the horizon from other places in them. I wouldn't care to take a city bus on that long of a trip, even if any ran such a route.

Meanwhile I rode a train last week that passes through 7 cities and 6 medium-sized towns in an hour and a half. In other countries that could pass for a bus line or maybe some fancy subway, but here we call it intercity rail. I live 10 minutes away from it, it's a big white building with a big hallway full of shops and a train stopping there every 10 minutes or so. Not to brag but....reclining leather seats with footrests, mood lighting, power sockets and on some routes, catering. So as much as I'd like to try and feel sorry for others, I can't help but feel that you were doomed from the start with population densities like that.

I can only wonder what sorts of options Sims have. Their world seems very much fixated on white picket fences, suburbs and private automobiles but I've also never seen a Sim city without at least some form of public transport. Then again from what I've been told, US public transport gets better the closer you are to the coast. I'm reading here that Oklahoma City has 22 bus lines, a modestly sized streetcar network, and a daily train. As in, it only runs once a day. Holy shit?

( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Lab Assistant
#11856 Old 20th Jan 2020 at 7:33 PM
Man, I feel so envious of you. Here where I live, 11 years ago, we had express buses to the region's capitol, which took that roughly 60 km route for about 65 minutes, coupled with slower stopping buses which took the same route in 80 minutes. The common interval between buses was about 15 minutes in the busiest parts of the day. This system worked so well, that more and more people left the comfort of their cars and started to use buses instead. However, as is common in my country, if something works well, it has to be destroyed. So, in December 2008 we've got got straight train line to the region's capitol with 60-120 minutes interval, with express buses cancelled and slower buses reduced to 60 minutes interval, with a few half-interval buses thrown in in the busiest times and artificially slowed down from 80 to 90 minutes thanks to new, useless stops outside of the main road. Another problem with the trains is, that our city does not have straight train track to the region's capitol, so it is 80 km on train as oppose to 60 km on the road. Still, the trains originally took the route at about the same time as the express buses and a few years ago, when new faster trains started to operate here, the time was reduced a little bellow an hour. However, many did not accept this new system and the number of cars between my city and the region's capitol started to increase again. Despite that, the region's government still stubbornly insists it's the best system we could get. Still, I guess, we are better with public transport than most of US is. Thank goodness that while playing Sims 3 I can leave all this political nonsenses with public transportation away, since my Sims have pretty much everything they need in their own town and what they don't have there they don't need
Mad Poster
#11857 Old 20th Jan 2020 at 8:29 PM
I'm not going to begin to address the various geographical, historical, and political reasons why we seem to be so far behind the rest of civilized society with our particular localized mass transit systems here in the US. But I will mention that in areas best served by buses, there is one thing we still can't seem to get right. When the intervals are meant to be 15 minutes, we will instead at some point get nothing for 59 minutes and then four identical buses in a row. It never fails and it never matters how well computerized or tracked the buses are along their routes, something always goes wrong (now with our apps we can just see that it's happening sooner than we could before). "Gee, four Number 7 buses all going to the same place. The third one looks prettier than the others, let's get on that one."
Mad Poster
#11858 Old 20th Jan 2020 at 8:43 PM Last edited by AGuyCalledPi : 20th Jan 2020 at 8:58 PM.
My local bus line runs every 15 minutes during the daytime but it's basically useless, because while the bus ride to the train station is about 5 minutes, the wait for the bus often makes the whole journey take longer than a 10 minute bike ride. The railways here are laid out pretty cleverly: every line runs twice an hour, but there's always overlap between the different lines so you can go from anywhere to anywhere every 15 minutes, or at least, in the denser parts of the country. So the Amsterdam-The Hague train runs twice-hourly, but then there's another train that partially runs along the same route. So you can reach both Amsterdam and The Hague every 15 minutes. And if you want to go to Rotterdam there's two different trains that share the same route along my portion of it. And in my case, they're all the same basic design as well. There's a bunch of different types, some single deck and other double deck or whatever, but the ones in my area just happen to all be from the same class and model. Some have recently been updated with a fancy new paint job and a modern interior with weird turd-shaped door handles (insert picture here) while others haven't, but they're all the same basic type.

Still, I recognize your issues with artifically slowed down lines @peno because "my" line used to be faster. Until about 10 years ago you could get to Rotterdam from Amsterdam in 50 minutes. But then they built the high-speed railway which goes straight from one to the other without intermediate stops. It's great for commuters on either end of it, because you can travel between Amsterdam and Rotterdam in as little as 30 minutes, but they added extra stops to all the trains on the old line. So those now take an hour and 15 minutes. And only 4 trains a day still run the old, fast schedule and they're all at super inconvenient times.

Either way, it's all fairly punctual and I've never had a bus show up more than 10 minutes late....usually 2 or 3, maybe 5 if it's bad. And everything's fitted with GPS and stuff. You can look up on your phone where it's at and how fast it's going. In the railway app you also get a page showing what type of train there will be on your journey, with the on-board facilities and indications of how busy each car is expected to be. It's a great system and it makes it extremely hard to justify owning a car.

....remind me to take a picture of the turd-shaped door handles. They're gold-coloured. I'm not kidding. They're golden turds.

Lab Assistant
#11859 Old 20th Jan 2020 at 11:59 PM
@igazor Oh, the magic of traffic jams. Trust me, we do know it here. In my region's capitol, Brno (sorry for forgetting to mention the name earlier) there are two infamous round lines (though basically they are one line, since each operates the same route at different direction) which are going around the broader city centre on some of the busiest roads in the city, so you can imagine that the 10 minutes interval on work days and even the 15 minutes interval on weekends and holidays, mentioned by timetable is as good as "we do promise you the bus will come eventually" saying from the city transport company So, if you are especially lucky (or unlucky, depending which time you are at the stop) you can go 40 minutes with no bus and then four buses will come right behind each other. Thankfully, we too have mobile app which will tell us where the bus is, so we can plan our trips accordingly and possibly choose a different route.

@AGuyCalledPi Oh, I recognise the long wait for bus on a train station too well too. Fortunately, since they sped the trains to Brno, the waiting times are better. The problem, however, will arisen if the train is delayed, which, unfortunately, is not as unusual as I would like, since then it's better to walk home than wait for another bus since the intervals of my home city line are 20-30 minutes and in some cases even 60 minutes, while walking distance from train station to where I live (which, ironically, is a route around the train track, for most parts) is about 15 minutes. Even less if I'll get someone with a car take me or if I am wise enough to use bike, for whom they recently built a big bike parking house, which is quite cheap, at the local train station. Hopefully, they will not close it because it's not as used as they hoped it will be, before they opened it in fall 2018.
Mad Poster
#11860 Old 22nd Jan 2020 at 4:03 PM
The backbenchers in the lectures will grab the food from the buffet table that's been served.

Instructor
#11861 Old 23rd Jan 2020 at 9:03 PM
I just noticed yesterday while moving the camera around one of my sims that their eyes actually move back and forth while they're reading.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Mad Poster
#11862 Old 23rd Jan 2020 at 11:10 PM
I was joking about the buffet table thing; not sure if they do or don't. Though Sims can "Talk about burglary" after it occured and will do so in dramatical gestures autonomously.

(not Sims, but) Upon accidentally clicking disagree on a comment, I found out you can rate it to agree and disagree with it

Test Subject
#11863 Old 23rd Jan 2020 at 11:42 PM
That Unicorns have a shiny cloud above them that you can see from map view
Also that if you look at horses from a ways zoomed out, they move around without animating, just gliding with straight legs :D
Lab Assistant
#11864 Old 25th Jan 2020 at 12:02 AM
I've found out that Surf’s Up Sun & Fun Wave Station from The Sims 3 Store could be placed on lakes, including those on residential lots. Finally the lake on my Sims' garden has some other use than fishing and skating. Speaking of skating, Sims simply ignore the existence of surf station and skate right through it. And if that is not weird enough, the surf station can also be used on solid frozen lake. So, when you send one Sim surfing and another skating it could produce interesting results
Mad Poster
#11865 Old 25th Jan 2020 at 12:12 AM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 31st Jan 2020 at 5:48 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peno
And if that is not weird enough, the surf station can also be used on solid frozen lake.

Katara: ackchyually, it's nath magic, itz waterbending!

Actually, what's funny that the next line is followed by:

Sokka: Yeah, yeah, "an ancient art unique to our culture", blah, blah, blah. Look, I'm just saying that if I had weird powers, I'd keep my weirdness to myself.

It's so fitting even more. Really wouldn't have known if I didn't checked it. Just the first bit came to my mind

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Apparently, you can't play sports with the stadium&annex in normal world like sunset valley (unless 7 am is too early?). So I guess having the government put it down there in the 15 Summer Hill Court pretty stupid decision just to appease the demand of an ex-llama mascot of a wish that I promised of hers. I do wonder now if other UNI-related RH function are useful and function fully outside of university. I might need the one that holds street art classes.

You can't swipe a swing (or perhaps my Sim couldn't do the connected one).

Appearantly, my Sim rode a jetpack autonomously while having the game running in the background. Could been probably due to having max advance technology skill, other than the fact it was a plumbot who used it.

Scholar
#11866 Old 4th Feb 2020 at 3:02 AM
I thought tabletop shuffleboard was something the sims team made up, but no. TIL, tabletop shuffleboard is a thing in meatspace and it'll cost you $7500 at Pottery Barn. I don't know what I expected when I clicked "game tables," but this was not it.

The Mayflies Legacy- a Random Legacy Story
Mad Poster
#11867 Old 4th Feb 2020 at 3:43 AM
That's strange, because I had one of those as a kid and it was probably like €20. It's a big slab of wood with boxes in it and a bunch of pucks you need to slide into said boxes. How much could it cost? To be fair, maybe shuffleboard isn't as common in the US as it is here. It's very much the sort of light entertainment we would enjoy in this pragmatic, boring, protestant country. Anyone fancy a cup of watery lemonade and a single, dry cookie?

Scholar
#11868 Old 4th Feb 2020 at 4:07 AM
I've only known shuffleboard as something that you did while standing. There's shuffleboard courts in a lot of senior living facilities and also cruise ships. I don't think I've ever seen anyone play it ever.

The Mayflies Legacy- a Random Legacy Story
Mad Poster
#11869 Old 7th Feb 2020 at 6:10 AM
I found out that if you have a Sim in the medical career, and they go to a community lot, a random Sim might start doubling over and calling for a doctor. Happened to me twice so far. The first time it was his older sister (see my screenshot). Other Sims will gather around and look all worried. Your medical Sim will then do an examination similar to the Sims 2 shrink.
Screenshots

Who is Q? qanon.pub
Mad Poster
#11870 Old 7th Feb 2020 at 6:43 PM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 15th Feb 2020 at 3:46 PM.
disc1: All other Sims seem to be able to hold game designer/art appraiser/sport agent careers only after once my Sim received the offers to join them. I can assume and conclude that's what triggers them into getting those jobs; with the position being open once the respective one is unlocked for an active Sim.
disc2: As I was rearranging books from the bookshelves that I bought from the blueprint (just to categorize entertainment ones from skill builders), duplicate entertaintments books that came with them either got change from the spot or when I stuffed all of them into one book shelve. I notice these when I tried stacking the books with the same cover, only to notice that their titles are completely different.
disc3: apparently, bonehilda is classified as a human because plumbots with fear of humans trait will shit the ground when seeing her.

Field Researcher
#11871 Old 17th Feb 2020 at 12:28 AM
This is mod-related but for awhile I've been upset because my female musician could not play for tips because of pregnancy. Did you know that pregnant Sims can't get their face painted at the festival either? It's just really illogical decisions that makes me question who decided what pregnant Sims should and should not do and why. But it's okay for pregnant Sims to drink "nectar". Not that it matters because there is not any feature in place for such consequences in the first place. Back to the main point, I'm currently playing with my pregnant singer who also cannot play for tips.

I've been watching Ani's Sims let's plays and one of the videos she enables NRass Retuner to appear on objects and Sims via the pie menu. This option brings up different options that I could not find otherwise. I had to pause the video and rewind because I saw it at a glance an option for 'Allow Pregnant Sims' and 'Play for Tips'. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WcVNKrjH3o [11:15]) So I tried this out in my game. I enabled "Show Object Menu" in the Retuner settings and what do you know, finally I am able to enable pregnant Sims to do anything or restrict anything. I've been playing with pregnancies at 6,574 Sim hours which estimates to around 9 months in relation to my 365 days/year. So this is a huge help.

Because I'm Fragile...but I'm not "that" fragile.
Top Secret Researcher
#11872 Old 19th Feb 2020 at 2:35 AM
I didn't discover this myself, but found out from some fellow world testers that seahorses can woo hoo in a tank, resulting in an insta-baby. So naturally I had to try it for myself. Yup, hearts and everything.

Screenshots

Need help building? Mentoring4Builders: Click Here
What's new at Simszoo?
Scholar
#11873 Old 19th Feb 2020 at 2:53 AM
I didn't know child sims could ride the jet skis, but I've just see one do it...

When you consider all the perfectly harmless things they can't do by default, it seems odd that they can go speeding around on these things.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Lab Assistant
#11874 Old 19th Feb 2020 at 4:10 PM Last edited by peno : 19th Feb 2020 at 5:27 PM.
AFAIK, children can ride any boat that came with IP (with exceptions to houseboats), which I always found weird, to be honest. Why do we even have paddleboats, which are obviously designed for children to use as water version of bikes, when they will still take the fastest boat in the household anyway? Maxis logic anyone?

Edit: OK, so, I was wrong that children can use any boat. They can only use paddleboats, rowboat and the abovementioned jet sledges. Sorry for any possible confusion. Still weird though.
Field Researcher
#11875 Old 19th Feb 2020 at 8:25 PM
The way to get rid of those occasional missing tiles on upper floors was so simple I wish I could go back in time and kick myself for all the times I've covered holes with rugs and roof deco. You know the ones - where there's just no grid and no matter how many times you flatten, cfe all levels, demolish and rebuild it you're still left with a hole. Turns out you can fix it with stairs From the level below to the level with hole, said hole just needs to be somewhere in the middle of the stairs footprint and it will regenerate the grid. Better finding out late than never, I suppose.
Page 475 of 479