Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Jan 2012 at 5:10 AM Last edited by Phaenoh : 11th Feb 2014 at 5:19 AM.
The apocalypse is over, Now What? (requires seasons & OFB)
Post-Apocalyptic Build a city challenge (Seasons and Open for Business required):
This is the first challenge I have made, so bear with me.

"The apocalypse is over. Now what?"

The Zombie/Nuclear/insert name here apocalypse has finally ended, and only a few sims have survived. They must now start to rebuild civilization from scratch.

Hacks you may find useful for this challenge:
No Maxis job wants by Phaenoh
Produce Packing Station from simwardrobe.com
Fish Packing Station from simwardrobe.com
MaryLou & Numenor's hacked coat hook or the wardrobe adjuster that comes with the insiminator.

Rules:
1. If you're starting fresh, be sure to use an emptied neighborhood template. You can get them at MATY.

2. If you haven't completed an apocalypse challenge, you should make your survivors in CAS. Their ages should be child-adult. You should only start with 8 (You may start with more if you have a hack that enables larger numbers of sims on a lot, but start with no more than 12 survivors).

3. All the survivors will start out on one lot, so you'll need to make one lot for your survivors to live on. You may choose to make a lot with one big house or a lot with several small houses. The lot may be any size and can be furnished any way you want.

4. Money cheats are allowed. This is only because this challenge takes place in a time where money is worthless. The cheat will only be needed at the beginning when you make your lot and when you create lots for sims who have started families.

5. When two survivors marry or get engaged, you must move them into their own lot. This will continue to happen until there are probably only two sims left on the original lot. These sims will have a choice to stay on that lot or move to another.

6. No Jobs!!! There is no need for money, so your survivors won't need jobs. There will be 3 types of sims: Farmers, Fishermen, and Crafters. These will be their vocations. I'm not that big on dice rolling, so I'll let you have the choice of which vocation your sim families will have. Please make sure that there is at least 1 family of each vocation, though. Families can have two vocations (i.e. farming/fishing). These are called combination families. There may be no more than 3 combination families in your new city. No family can be a combination of all vocations. No school for children and teens. You can use the education adjuster or the tool that you spawn with boolprop to set school to no school. They can use that time studying skills, learning the family vocation, or helping the family.

7. You may use one maxmotives cheat for each member of your family (i.e.: if you have 3 family members, you may only use maxmotives 3 times). No other cheats may be used, no boolprop, no motiveDecay off, no other cheats except for moveobjects on. When starting out, no maxmotives cheats are to be used. You can only use them when your sims move onto their own lot.

8. No subhoods! No university, no downtown, no shopping district, no exotic destinations. Everything but your main hood has been destroyed.

9. Reviving technology: No phones, No lights, no sanitation, and sewage facilities. What's a sim to do? Technology may be revived by certain sims who are proficient in certain skills.

* Phones: No phones in the sims' houses at the beginning. The phones can be fixed and implemented only when 3 sims in your new city have a logic skill of 5 or more. When your third sim gets their fifth logic skill, the phones are now fixed and can be used.
*Electricity: No lights, computers, electronics, or electrical appliances of any kind at the beginning. You may have a cheap refrigerator to act as sort of an icebox for getting snacks. The electricity can be fixed when 3 sims in your new city have a mechanical skill of 5 or more. When your third sim gets his/ her fifth mechanical skill point, the electricity is fixed, and your sims can have their electronics back.
*Sanitation and Sewage: Until sanitation and sewage are fixed, your sims must never flush toilets. They will be used more like a chamber pot that can't be emptied. They will also be unable to throw away garbage, so if you see your sims carrying a garbage bag, quickly cancel that action, and a pile of garbage will be dropped. You could also build a fence around your garbage can. Your sims' homes will be stinky and full of trash, but there is a way to fix the sanitation and sewage. It will be fixed when 3 sims in your new city have 5 or more cleaning skill points. When your third sim earns their fifth cleaning skill point, the sanitation and sewage will be fixed, and your sims' houses will be neat and stink-free again. * For those who feel that a stinky house full of trash may hinder your enjoyment of this challenge, you may use the home incinerator from simwardrobe.com to take care of the trash. You may also flush the toilet once every two days.

10. You will have to pay the bills, but you can cheat for money to pay for them since money is worthless. If you do not pay them on time, bandits (a.k.a repo men) will raid your house. If an object is taken that cannot be obtained by bartering, you will have to wait 3 sim days before buying it again in buy mode.

11. Bartering:
At the beginning of the challenge, everything that is farmed, caught, or made is for the good of the household. When the survivors start their own families, community lot businesses are allowed, but because of the worthlessness of money, bartering is the means in which you will acquire items. To achieve bartering, ensure that every item in the store is only 1 simolean. When you wish to barter, purchase the item like you would from any business, but you must give a gift of something of yours that can be bartered to a member of the family that runs the business. If your family owns a business, it may not hire any employees. Only family members may work there. There should be at least one business for every vocation. Also, family business should only barter things made, grown, or caught by means of the family vocation. Farmer families barter only produce. Fisher-families barter only fish. Crafter families barter only crafted items.

Things that can be bartered:
* Fruits & Veggies (using the produce packing station from SimWardrobe) For every crate of fruits and vegetables you receive through bartering, the household can make and eat 6 group vegetarian meals (meals with no meat.. i.e.: pancakes, mac & cheese, chef salad, any desert) If you do not have any fruits or veggies, your sims will have to survive on snacks from the icebox (fridge). Once the sixth meal is made, delete the crate from your inventory.
*Fish (using SimWardrobe's fish packing station) for every crate of fish you receive through bartering, your household can make and eat 6 group meals that have meat in them (i.e.: omelets, chili, and pork chops.) Once the sixth meal is made, delete the crate of fish from your inventory.
*Handmade sewn items (using freetime sewing machine) For every handmade sewn item you receive through bartering, you can buy one suit of clothes from a store or, preferably, by using a hacked object. Once you have the outfit, delete the sewn item from your inventory.
*Paintings can be bartered for any crafting station (as long as the sim who painted it has over 5 creativity skill points). The crafting stations you can get for your painting include: sewing machine, pottery wheel, toymaking station, robot making station, and flower arranging station. These may only be sold by crafter families.
*Pottery (using freetime pottery wheel) For every item of pottery you receive through bartering, you get to call the gardener for only 1 day's work or the exterminator to rid your house of vermin one time. When the day is over, you must fire the gardener. You must also delete the pottery after the exterminator or gardener leaves.
*Handmade toys (using OFB toy crafting machine) For every handmade toy you receive through bartering, you get to call a nanny for 1 day. When your day runs out, you must delete the toy.
*Flower arrangement (using OFB flower aranging station) For every flower arrangement you receive through bartering, you get to hire a maid, 1 arrangement = 1 day. When your day runs out, you must delete the arrangement.
*Robot (using OFB Robot station) For every robot you receive through bartering, you can hire a repairman to fix one thing. If you receive a servo through bartering, you can hire the repairman to fix 3 things. This is because crafting servos is so time consuming. You must delete the robot after the repairman is finished.

Scoring:
+10 for every new family (by marriage or engagement)
+20 for every new baby born.
+30 for every farmer family.
+30 for every fisherman family
+30 for every crafter family.
+50 for every combination family (ie: farmer/fisherman)
+25 if your city's population exceeds 50 sims
+75 if your city's population exceeds 100 sims.
+150 if your city's population exceeds 200 sims.

-10 for aspiration failure
-20 for sickness
-30 for social worker
-25 for death by flies
-50 for other unnatural death (i.e.: fire, lightning, drowning... NOT old age)

Win or lose? It's up to you.
You must choose how big you want you population goal to be before you begin the challenge. An easy challenge would be 50 sims. A moderate challenge would be 100, and a difficult challenge would be 200. When you reach your preset goal, you win!

You lose if everyone dies and no one remains. That is the end of the world.

* Thanks to moonlight_frog for fixing all errors & typos

Visit my simblr for sims 4 mods and more &
My simstagram =(^_^)=
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 25th Jan 2012 at 4:46 AM
Pretty cool challenge; 50 sims is a lot, though, isn't it? Sounds a bit daunting. :s

So I assume you can use this challenge as an aftermath for the Apocalypse Challenge, correct?

Please check out my Challenge Blog: http://thesimmingfrog.blogspot.com/

Ongoing Challenges: Test of Time (TOT), Post-Apocalyptic BACC (PABACC)
Finished Challenges: Bachelor, Try to Survive

Check out my TOT Family Trees!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th Jan 2012 at 5:11 AM Last edited by MimiSim : 25th Jan 2012 at 5:24 AM.
I'm glad you like my challenge. Many people find it too difficult.

Actually, you should only start out with no more than 12 sims on a lot at the beginning. Most people start out with 8 or less. When your survivors get engaged or married, they move into their own lots.
The population numbers are a count of all the sims in the whole neighborhood. You could use this in conjunction with the Apocalypse challenge if you like, but you could use it for any other challenge, too. For example, I normally take it when I finish the zombie apocalypse challenge. Of course you could also just play this one with a fresh neighborhood and new sims.

I hope you'll try it, and if you do decide to try the challenge, please let me know if you think of any ways to improve it.

My simstagram =(^_^)=
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 28th Jan 2012 at 1:28 AM Last edited by moonlight_frog : 28th Jan 2012 at 6:39 AM.
Then, I guess I'll try to play the Apocalypse challenge as a prequel to this challenge.

The Apocalypse challenge sure seems long, though; anyone have a more recent version of Pinstar's challenge?

These are the links for the Apocalypse Challenge that I've found, but I'm sure there should be other versions:

http://boolprop.prophpbb.com/topic541.html
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...57613#msg157613

~~~ I have an idea

Could you add a 4th family type called the Foragers/ Scavengers/ Diggers? I went onto simwardrobe.com and found a very cool Business Facilitator that assigned employees to dig holes and find buried treasure (only with Bon Voyage).

I have a question about potential marriage/ mating material; can your sims interact with, move in, marry, and have kids with Townies?

I've never played a BACC before, so I have some unanswered questions.

Lab Assistant
#5 Old 28th Jan 2012 at 1:48 AM Last edited by moonlight_frog : 28th Jan 2012 at 3:06 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by MimiSim
The population numbers are a count of all the sims in the whole neighborhood. You could use this in conjunction with the Apocalypse challenge if you like, but you could use it for any other challenge, too. For example, I normally take it when I finish the zombie apocalypse challenge. Of course you could also just play this one with a fresh neighborhood and new sims.

I can't do the zombie apocalypse challenge because I haven't installed Uni onto this computer (I never really liked zombies, anyway).

Actually, I don't think I want to use the Apocalypse challenge as a prequel; it seems too lengthy and hard... Maybe I'll just directly go into your challenge from CAS.

Question: Besides the technological restrictions, are there any items that my sims cannot have?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Additionally, I fixed some of the typos/ spelling errors/ grammatical stuff:

Post-Apocalyptic Build a city challenge (Seasons and Open for Business required):
This is the first challenge I have made, so bear with me.

"The apocalypse is over. Now what?"

The Zombie/Nuclear/insert name here apocalypse has finally ended, and only a few sims have survived. They must now start to rebuild civilization from scratch.

Hacks you may find useful for this challenge:
No Maxis Jobs wants by Phaenoh
Produce Packing Station from simwardrobe.com
Fish Packing Station from simwardrobe.com
MaryLou & Numenor's hacked coat rack or the wardrobe adjuster that comes with the insiminator.

Rules:
1. If you're starting fresh, be sure to use an emptied neighborhood template. You can get them at MATY.

2. If you haven't completed an apocalypse challenge, you should make your survivors in CAS. Their ages should be child-adult. You should only start with 8 (You may start with more if you have a hack that enables larger numbers of sims on a lot, but start with no more than 12 survivors).

3. All the survivors will start out on one lot, so you'll need to make one lot for your survivors to live on. You may choose to make a lot with one big house or a lot with several small houses. The lot may be any size and can be furnished any way you want.

4. Money cheats are allowed. This is only because this challenge takes place in a time where money is worthless. The cheat will only be needed at the beginning when you make your lot and when you create lots for sims who have started families.

5. When two survivors marry or get engaged, you must move them into their own lot. This will continue to happen until there are probably only two sims left on the original lot. These sims will have a choice to stay on that lot or move to another.

6. No Jobs!!! There is no need for money, so your survivors won't need jobs. There will be 3 types of sims: Farmers, Fishermen, and Crafters. These will be their vocations. I'm not that big on dice rolling, so I'll let you have the choice of which vocation your sim families will have. Please make sure that there is at least 1 family of each vocation, though. Families can have two vocations (i.e. farming/fishing). These are called combination families. There may be no more than 3 combination families in your new city. No family can be a combination of all vocations. No school for children and teens. You can use the education adjuster or the tool that you spawn with boolprop to set school to no school. They can use that time studying skills, learning the family vocation, or helping the family.

7. You may use one maxmotives cheat for each member of your family (i.e.: if you have 3 family members, you may only use maxmotives 3 times). No other cheats may be used, no boolprop, no motiveDecay off, no other cheats except for moveobjects on. When starting out, no maxmotives cheats are to be used. You can only use them when your sims move onto their own lot.

8. No subhoods! No university, no downtown, no shopping district, no exotic destinations. Everything but your main hood has been destroyed.

9. Reviving technology: No phones, No lights, no sanitation, and sewage facilities. What's a sim to do? Technology may be revived by certain sims who are proficient in certain skills.

* Phones: No phones in the sims' houses at the beginning. The phones can be fixed and implemented only when 3 sims in your new city have a logic skill of 5 or more. When your third sim gets their fifth logic skill, the phones are now fixed and can be used.
*Electricity: No lights, computers, electronics, or electrical appliances of any kind at the beginning. You may have a cheap refrigerator to act as sort of an icebox for getting snacks. The electricity can be fixed when 3 sims in your new city have a mechanical skill of 5 or more. When your third sim gets his/ her fifth mechanical skill point, the electricity is fixed, and your sims can have their electronics back.
*Sanitation and Sewage: Until sanitation and sewage are fixed, your sims must never flush toilets. They will be used more like a chamber pot that can't be emptied. They will also be unable to throw away garbage, so if you see your sims carrying a garbage bag, quickly cancel that action, and a pile of garbage will be dropped. You could also build a fence around your garbage can. Your sims' homes will be stinky and full of trash, but there is a way to fix the sanitation and sewage. It will be fixed when 3 sims in your new city have 5 or more cleaning skill points. When your third sim earns their fifth cleaning skill point, the sanitation and sewage will be fixed, and your sims' houses will be neat and stink-free again. * For those who feel that a stinky house full of trash may hinder your enjoyment of this challenge, you may use the home incinerator from simwardrobe.com to take care of the trash. You may also flush the toilet once every two days.

10. You will have to pay the bills, but you can cheat for money to pay for them since money is worthless. If you do not pay them on time, bandits (a.k.a repo men) will raid your house. If an object is taken that cannot be obtained by bartering, you will have to wait 3 sim days before buying it again in buy mode.

11. Bartering:
At the beginning of the challenge, everything that is farmed, caught, or made is for the good of the household. When the survivors start their own families, community lot businesses are allowed, but because of the worthlessness of money, bartering is the means in which you will acquire items. To achieve bartering, ensure that every item in the store is only 1 simolean. When you wish to barter, purchase the item like you would from any business, but you must give a gift of something of yours that can be bartered to a member of the family that runs the business. If your family owns a business, it may not hire any employees. Only family members may work there. There should be at least one business for every vocation. Also, family business should only barter things made, grown, or caught by means of the family vocation. Farmer families barter only produce. Fisher-families barter only fish. Crafter families barter only crafted items.

* Fruits & Veggies (using the produce packing station from SimWardrobe) For every crate of fruits and vegetables you receive through bartering, the household can make and eat 6 group vegetarian meals (meals with no meat.. i.e.: pancakes, mac & cheese, chef salad, any desert) If you do not have any fruits or veggies, your sims will have to survive on snacks from the icebox (fridge). Once the sixth meal is made, delete the crate from your inventory.
*Fish (using SimWardrobe's fish packing station) for every crate of fish you receive through bartering, your household can make and eat 6 group meals that have meat in them (i.e.: omelets, chili, and pork chops.) Once the sixth meal is made, delete the crate of fish from your inventory.
*Handmade sewn items (using freetime sewing machine) For every handmade sewn item you receive through bartering, you can buy one suit of clothes from a store or, preferably, by using a hacked object. Once you have the outfit, delete the sewn item from your inventory.
*Paintings can be bartered for any crafting station (as long as the sim who painted it has over 5 creativity skill points). The crafting stations you can get for your painting include: sewing machine, pottery wheel, toymaking station, robot making station, and flower arranging station. These may only be sold by crafter families.
*Pottery (using freetime pottery wheel) For every item of pottery you receive through bartering, you get to call the gardener for only 1 day's work or the exterminator to rid your house of vermin one time. When the day is over, you must fire the gardener. You must also delete the pottery after the exterminator or gardener leaves.
*Handmade toys (using OFB toy crafting machine) For every handmade toy you receive through bartering, you get to call a nanny for 1 day. When your day runs out, you must delete the toy.
*Flower arrangement (using OFB flower aranging station) For every flower arrangement you receive through bartering, you get to hire a maid, 1 arrangement = 1 day. When your day runs out, you must delete the arrangement.
*Robot (using OFB Robot station) For every robot you receive through bartering, you can hire a repairman to fix one thing. If you receive a servo through bartering, you can hire the repairman to fix 3 things. This is because crafting servos is so time consuming. You must delete the robot after the repairman is finished.

Scoring:
+10 for every new family (by marriage or engagement)
+20 for every new baby born.
+30 for every farmer family.
+30 for every fisherman family
+30 for every crafter family.
+50 for every combination family (ie: farmer/fisherman)
+25 if your city's population exceeds 50 sims
+75 if your city's population exceeds 100 sims.
+150 if your city's population exceeds 200 sims.
-10 for aspiration failure
-20 for sickness
-30 for social worker
-25 for death by flies
-50 for other unnatural death (i.e.: fire, lightning, drowning... NOT old age)

Win or lose? It's up to you.
You must choose how big you want you population goal to be before you begin the challenge. An easy challenge would be 50 sims. A moderate challenge would be 100, and a difficult challenge would be 200. When you reach your preset goal, you win!

You lose if everyone dies and no one remains. That is the end of the world.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 28th Jan 2012 at 1:57 PM Last edited by MimiSim : 28th Jan 2012 at 2:08 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by moonlight_frog
I can't do the zombie apocalypse challenge because I haven't installed Uni onto this computer (I never really liked zombies, anyway).

Actually, I don't think I want to use the Apocalypse challenge as a prequel; it seems too lengthy and hard... Maybe I'll just directly go into your challenge from CAS.

Question: Besides the technological restrictions, are there any items that my sims cannot have?

I was going to make a no cars rule, but some people don't have bon voyage or any later expansions which make walking possible. If you do have the ability to walk to a lot in your game, you should not have any cars. As far as the technology at the beginning, you should only have a fridge (icebox) for getting snacks. After the phones, power, and sewage and sanitation is fixed, you can have anything you want.

Also, having a foraging family would be a good idea if you have bon voyage and can dig for treasure. You can set up your own bartering rules for foraged items. Since I don't dig for treasure much I really don't know what can be foraged.

As far as people marrying townies, the neighborhood you start in should be empty which means no townies. You can bend the rules a little if you prefer to play the challenge in a neighborhood with townies, but your population count should not include the townies though, not even the townies your survivors choose to marry.

BTW: Thanks for fixing all the errors and typos. I wrote the challenge on wordpad which doesn't have any spell or grammar check.

My simstagram =(^_^)=
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 28th Jan 2012 at 6:14 PM
Okay; I think I'll make a foraging/ fishing family later.

So, townies don't count towards the 50 sims, but if my sims have kids with townies, would those kids count?

I'm a bit confused about bartering:

In the beginning of the challenge with only my starter lot, should I be able to have access to any crafts/ plants/ fishing spots, or should I only choose one or two vocations for that starter family? Later in the game, can I buy anything from the Buy Catalog that pertains to the offshoot families' vocations? If so, then why would a Crafter family barter paintings for a crafting station? Can't I just get a crafting station from the buy catalog? Additionally, do you count painting as part of the crafting trade, or can any family paint? Who exactly can barter paintings? Are any families allowed to have the chess set?

Example of what I'm talking about:

My CAS family consists of 6 sims. I move them onto a starting lot; on this starting lot, can this family have access to all of the Crafting items (i.e. painting, pottery, sewing machine, toymaking station, robotmaking station, and flower arranging station)?.
Mary and Joseph marry and get moved to their own lot. I decide that Mary and Joseph will be a Crafter family. Can Mary and Joseph have all of the above crafting items?

This is so confusing. :P

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 29th Jan 2012 at 12:10 AM
Yes, the kids are included in the population count, just not the townies.
At the beginning, there is no bartering because everyone is on one lot. So, on your starter lot you can have any kind of vocational objects or all of them. The bartering and vocations begin when your sims move onto separate lots.
Anyone can paint and barter paintings to get the crafting stations. Since crafting families already have crafting stations, they shouldn't barter any paintings. They should only barter for things they need.
If bartering paintings doesn't work for you, you don't have to barter them. I just put that item to barter because some families that aren't crafters would like to craft things not to barter, but to use in the house like making pottery for decoration and toy robots for the kids to play with.
All families are allowed to have the chess set and anything else than cannot be acquired through bartering.

Pertaining to your example:
Yes Mary and Joseph can have all their crafting items, but they must take them with them. If you have already moved them out, just re-buy the items and delete the ones they had in the starter lot.

I'm sorry you find this challenge so confusing. If you have any more questions, do not hesitate to ask me.

PS: I'm glad you're trying out the challenge.

My simstagram =(^_^)=
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 29th Jan 2012 at 2:50 AM
Awesome, that clears up a lot of questions I had. Thanks!

I already made my sims yesterday, but I have yet to start the challenge. Mary and Joseph were just an example (lol, I just noticed that I used Jesus's parents as an example- must've been subconscious); my actual challenge sims have different names.

When I start this challenge, I'll post my progress in my blog @ www.thesimmingfrog.blogspot.com, which is in my signature down below (the only post I have about this challenge so far is a confirmation that I'm going to try it out).

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 29th Jan 2012 at 10:42 PM Last edited by MimiSim : 4th Mar 2012 at 8:32 PM. Reason: missing pic
Update
I'm glad that helped. Great blog, BTW

---------------------------------------------------------------
Challenge Pics:

I just finished the Zombie Apocalypse Challenge, and I'll be starting on this one later on tonight or tomorrow. For now, Here are some pictures of my survivors. I have 10 in all, and I'm setting my population goal to 100.

My main character, Milena Loxley:

Sebastian Wharton:

Lavian Hollis and her daughter Katie:

Jonathan Millender and his son Joey:

Ginger Newson:

Isaiah Gavigan, Penny Thayer, and Tommy Ottamas:

This is my starter lot, a boarding school that the survivors used as a base during the zombie apocalypse.

I'll post more pics as I progress through the challenge.

My simstagram =(^_^)=
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 30th Jan 2012 at 4:47 AM Last edited by MimiSim : 4th Mar 2012 at 8:36 PM.
Quick Update
Quick update:

Since I started the challenge, life at the survivors' house has calmed down.
They can concentrate more on their skills instead of always having to fight zombies.
So far, I have two sims with over five logic skills, so it won't be long until they can have their phones back.

Also, the first couple got married and moved into their own house.

Lavian and Johnathan moved into a small house. Joey moved out with his dad, but Katie wanted to stay and be on her own.
The Millender family decided that their family vocation will be crafting, so Lavian packed up all their crafting things and moved them into their new home.

That's all for now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update Edit:

One of the survivors is pregnant, but it isn't who you'd think it is.
The survivors were surprised today when Penny Thayer announced
that she was having a baby. Risky woohoo strikes again!

Now I guess we know how Isaiah and Penny were keeping warm on those cool fall nights.
Lavian and Jonathan have been trying to have a baby, but it looks like the teenagers beat them to it.

My simstagram =(^_^)=
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 11th Feb 2012 at 7:07 AM
I like how you're doing you're own challenge! Most people (myself included) are hypocrites and never attempt their own challenges. XD

I haven't played the Sims for almost a month, so I haven't really done anything with your challenge. I plan to make a dent in this challenge by the end of February, though.

Yay for InTeen. :3 I hope the kid looks more like Isaiah- he's one of my favorite Maxis sims.

Instructor
#13 Old 13th Feb 2012 at 11:08 PM
Hey,this really is a fun challenge! I'm addicted.

I really like these sparse, limited-resources, build-your-stuff challege. Right now the eight inhabitants in my first household are busily building relationships, knowledge and skills. (Fishing, gardening, sewing, pottery, you name it.)

So far I've come up with a few twists on my own:

Digging for treasure is basically unearthing old stuff; anything that was lost or thrown away. Your basic archeology. In a post-apocalyptic world, that means all the stuff us modern people are throwing away or leave lying around when we're busy being eaten by zombies. So now, all those things are being unearthed, cleaned and repaired to be used again.

So a treasure digger who's good at mechanics, logic and / or creativity can restore broken things, even electronics if she's good. What she can get from this depends on what she finds and on the treasure hunter's skills. My idea goes like this:

Findings worth 100 or less and mechanical skills from 3 to 5: can turn found treasure into furniture worth up to 200 §.
Findings worth 100 to 500 and mechanical skills from 5 to 7: can turn found treasure into furniture worth up to 1000 §.
Findings worth 500 to 1000 and mechanical skills from 7 to 9: can turn found treasure into furniture worth up to 2000 §.
Findings worth above 1000 and mechanical skills maxed out: furniture worth as much as the catalogue offers.

Manufacturing electronics takes additional logic skills. Manufacturing decorative stuff could be done with minimum mechanical, but high creative skills.

Sounds complicated and I guess anyone could simplify to their taste,but I like it this way because it seems to make sense. One way or the other, science Sims will be in high demand.

I'm also assuming that for the moment, my survivors are lone. Means the second generation will have a limited choice of spouses. I'm curious how many generations I can make it before they _have_ to look for other survivors.

Does anyone has an idea about what sort of skills it could take to build a hothouse?
Instructor
#14 Old 13th Feb 2012 at 11:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MimiSim

I like the idea bartering fruits and veggies for whatever other Sims have to "sell" in their shops, but why the switch? I find it easier to simply empty a fridge (have sims start to cook meals, stop them and clean away the tray until the fridge is empty) and then load the fridge with the produce and/or fish the traded with other Sims.

This challenge really, really wants me to try and make some new crafting stations. Which I know I don't have the time for even if I knew how it can be done.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 14th Feb 2012 at 4:06 AM
I'm glad you're enjoying the challenge.

You can do the fridge your way if you like. I didn't know if you could use the crates from the produce packing stations in the fridge. I tried to make this challenge pretty flexible, so you can play any way you like.

Your survivors are supposed to be lone. That's why I would advise an equal amount of men and women. The main goal of this challenge is repopulating the town, so any extra survivors you'd introduce wouldn't count towards your population. It's best to start out with as many survivors that you need at the beginning of the challenge. You can introduce new survivors if you like, but they wouldn't count toward the population. Their children would, but they won't. The only survivors that will count will be the ones you have at the beginning.

About the hothouse, I would guess mechanical and body skills would be needed. Mechanical would be needed to design it, and body would be needed for the heavy lifting it would take to build it.

I like your approach on treasure hunting, I considered adding it, but I never use it in game and am not familiar of the things you can dig up. Plus, people who don't have bon voyage wouldn't be able to try the challenge.

It would be awesome if we had more crafting stations. I know of a pottery station you can get from here for people who don't have freetime. There's also a sculpture station on this site that could take the place of sewn items for people who don't have freetime.

Anyway, thanks for trying the challenge. I hope you have fun with it.

My simstagram =(^_^)=
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 18th Feb 2012 at 3:24 AM
After I got past the long rules list, this challenge sounds cool. I like how money is worthless and you have to trade for things. I'm going to put this on my to-do list. I'll prob start it later when I have plenty of time. Oooh and where did you get that cool looking gazeebo in the wedding shot? :D

Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you.
Simblr
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 18th Feb 2012 at 3:07 PM Last edited by MimiSim : 4th Mar 2012 at 8:26 PM.
I hope you try it. It does take a lot of time. You could set your population goal to 50 to make it shorter. I wish I could remember where I downloaded that gazebo. It's not actually a gazebo, though. It's a sculpture made to look like one.

Edit:
I just posted updates on my blog if anyone is following this challenge.

My simstagram =(^_^)=
Test Subject
#18 Old 21st Feb 2012 at 12:14 AM
are animals like cats and dogs allowed?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 22nd Feb 2012 at 12:33 AM Last edited by MimiSim : 22nd Feb 2012 at 12:44 AM.
Sure. You can have cats or dogs or any other animal if you like.

My simstagram =(^_^)=
Test Subject
#20 Old 24th Feb 2012 at 3:14 AM
i have an idea for if you have like dogs and cats breeding because think about how devastated the animal population was during the zombie/radiation apocalypse so how about having breeding be a vocation
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#21 Old 25th Feb 2012 at 2:54 AM Last edited by MimiSim : 11th Apr 2012 at 12:57 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by legodoom
i have an idea for if you have like dogs and cats breeding because think about how devastated the animal population was during the zombie/radiation apocalypse so how about having breeding be a vocation

That would be fine. I never play much with pets, and there are lots of people who don't have the pets expansion. That is why I left animals out of the challenge. If you wish to barter pets, you can make up your own bartering rules for what they can be exchanged for.

My simstagram =(^_^)=
Test Subject
#22 Old 25th Feb 2012 at 3:06 AM
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 20th Mar 2012 at 10:35 PM
Sorry for necroposting :X, but I just wanted to let anyone who is watching this thread know that I finally started this challenge.

Check out my first post here: http://thesimmingfrog.blogspot.com/...rmath.html#more

Thanks!

Instructor
#24 Old 10th Apr 2012 at 11:18 PM
Thanks for necroposting, moonlight_frog! I love apocalypse stuff, and this challenge looks about my speed!

Contemplating making Golden Sun stuff for TS2.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#25 Old 12th Apr 2012 at 6:33 AM Last edited by MimiSim : 12th Apr 2012 at 7:03 AM.
Update

New births:

Abigail Gavigan, the first post-apocalypse baby. She's a toddler now and looks just like her mom.

Twins Bella & Byron Millender. They are also toddlers now. They have their mom's skin color and their dad's hair and eyes.

Sabrina Wharton. She's a toddler and looks just like her dad. They have another baby on the way.

Adam Ottomas was born two days ago and looks just like his dad, Tommy.

Lily Millender was just born today. She looks just like her dad, Joey.

Wheew! Hope that isn't too many pics.
Sorry it took so long for an update. I got my skyrim game back from my nephew and have been playing nonstop.
So, my total population count so far is 16. I have a long way to go if I'm going to meet my goal of 100. I think rotations are the key.

~Edit~
Proxian_Girl, I hope you'll try the challenge. It may be a bit hard at first, but it does get easier. My town has recently gotten their phones and electronics back. It won't be long until they get their sewage and sanitation back.

My simstagram =(^_^)=