Replies: 110 (Who?), Viewed: 17892 times.
Page 4 of 5
Top Secret Researcher
#76 Old 5th Jan 2013 at 2:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattShizzle
Really about the only decent templates without massively changing them - shrinking just about all the facial features and widening/shortening the jaw to get rid of the "pencil face" - are 1 and 2. I don't like them to be cartoony, I like them to look as much like actual people as possible.

But Template 1 and 2 are so boring! They're so overused and average! That's the other extreme. Exaggerated or entirely simplistic. Myself? I prefer my sims in the middle, leaning towards exaggerated.

Simblr.
Asks are always open, even to anons. I will always reply to asks, and I do my best to be cordial/less snarky than usual.
Banned
#77 Old 5th Jan 2013 at 2:59 AM Last edited by MattShizzle : 5th Jan 2013 at 3:12 AM.
As I said, I don't like ugly sims and I find anything other than 1 or 2 very ugly and even 1 and 2 need fixing - esp for the "pencil face" and too big of eyes. Usually even the others the nose is OK but the mouth is either too big or too small. As to those trying to "play the race card" I find it even more insulting that EAxis used those faces as representing black (or asian) people at all - that's straight out of the minstrel show caricatures. I myself (for whatever reason) have more squinty eyes than most Asian people even though I'm not Asian and the eyes that are supposed to be Asian are way too squinty for my simself (and are more like US WWII anti-Japanese propaganda or early 20th Century anti-Chinese.) And the supposed black faces are as I said straight out of the minstrel show and look nothing like any of my black friends (or relatives.)

When I make a Balck, Asian or whatever other ethnicity sim I try to make it look like a real person of that ethnicity looks like, not like what the asshole KKK or such portrays them. Someone tries to tell me my cousin or her daughter looks like that hideous # 18 face I'd want to beat their ass Detroit Style.
Field Researcher
#78 Old 5th Jan 2013 at 3:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivey
But Template 1 and 2 are so boring! They're so overused and average! That's the other extreme. Exaggerated or entirely simplistic. Myself? I prefer my sims in the middle, leaning towards exaggerated.
I do overuse 1 and 2, but I always do a bunch of tweaking to keep them different. One huge issue I have is, seeing as I find 1 and 2 the most attractive, I always have sims marry others with those templates.

Meh.
Top Secret Researcher
#79 Old 5th Jan 2013 at 3:31 AM
Quote:
As I said, I don't like ugly sims and I find anything other than 1 or 2 very ugly and even 1 and 2 need fixing - esp for the "pencil face" and too big of eyes. .

So this is ugly to you?

It's hard to say things are black and white - especially when there are so many gray areas.

Simblr.
Asks are always open, even to anons. I will always reply to asks, and I do my best to be cordial/less snarky than usual.
Mad Poster
#80 Old 5th Jan 2013 at 4:41 AM
Matt and Mozgun, you have face replacement templates? I use these: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=194488 by Ambular but there are about a zillion out there. If you don't like cartoony, don't put up with it!

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Banned
#81 Old 5th Jan 2013 at 7:20 PM
Just got it. Had a different one before but got rid of because they all looked the same and was hard to change at all - and some still were ugly. And yes, Fivey - that is ugly - not the shape but the marks all over the face.
Top Secret Researcher
#82 Old 5th Jan 2013 at 7:46 PM
Quote:
Just got it. Had a different one before but got rid of because they all looked the same and was hard to change at all - and some still were ugly. And yes, Fivey - that is ugly - not the shape but the marks all over the face.

Fair enough. I tend to abuse freckles and shit. Since she's a citizen of Strangetown, she's exposed to a lot of sun, which supports my reasoning for her having them. It kind of makes sense for someone so light skinned to develop freckles. But it's not clear skin, so I can see your issue.

Simblr.
Lab Assistant
#83 Old 5th Jan 2013 at 10:33 PM
Quote:

I think it's rather cute tbh, but that's just me. Different strokes and all.

If love is what saves all the creatures then why can't I hear them howl?
New Livejournal
EX:pondefloor
Mad Poster
#84 Old 5th Jan 2013 at 10:36 PM Last edited by gazania : 5th Jan 2013 at 10:54 PM.
I like my Sims to be semi-realistic, if that makes sense. Not overly realistic (I don't need to see every pore), but defintiely not Maxis, thank you very much. Think more of a realistic manga look ...

To achieve this end, I've replaced all but about five templates, using templates from about five or six different creators. It's been quite a journey of mixing and matching ... and I'm probably not done yet. And yes, certain ethnic faces have been the hardest challenge. I wouldn't have minded if EA included one realistic and one exaggerated, but certain ethnic types really are over-caricatured. No matter how I tried to change them, the Sims still looked ugly to me. I found myself staring at people to see if any of them actually LOOKED like their EA "type" (and probably got a few of the real-life counterparts questioning my sanity!) and haven't found anyone.

While I have not replaced EA's 1 and 2 because I didn't think those were too bad, I like to use nosemasks with them. The #1's nose seems a little too ... can't really describe it. Pinched?

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#85 Old 5th Jan 2013 at 11:29 PM Last edited by maxon : 5th Jan 2013 at 11:40 PM.
Quote:
Fair enough. I tend to abuse freckles and shit. Since she's a citizen of Strangetown, she's exposed to a lot of sun, which supports my reasoning for her having them. It kind of makes sense for someone so light skinned to develop freckles. But it's not clear skin, so I can see your issue.

Nice freckles - bit OTT but as you say, Strangetown. Are they on the skintone or an overlay (linky?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazania
I like my Sims to be semi-realistic, if that makes sense. Not overly realistic (I don't need to see every pore), but defintiely not Maxis, thank you very much. Think more of a realistic manga look ...

Well, that made me laugh. Do 'realistic' and 'manga' belong in the same sentence?

Actually, your comments about nose masks interested me. Again, do you have any links to look at? I ask because one of my biggest bugbears is with the 'poofy lips, boiled sweet eyes and pencil nose' look you see with a lot of sims for DL. I also use some default replacements for the face templates but have deleted many over the years for committing these crimes. I think the overlarge eyes are the worst thing (influence of manga right there - custom eyes with sclera make the boiled sweet eyes thing much, much worse) but the pencil noses also get me ranting and pulling my hair out. It makes me think 'mouth breather' because you surely couldn't get anything, including air, through those nostrils.

tflc is my tumblr with uploads not uploaded here: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/tflc
and my site, tflc: https://littlecarping.com/mybb/

Polgannon: Who Murdered Blaise Penhaligan?
(3rd ed. neighbourhood now available with corrections). Poll: http://strawpoll.me/6689876
Top Secret Researcher
#86 Old 6th Jan 2013 at 12:22 AM Last edited by Fivey : 6th Jan 2013 at 12:51 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxon
Nice freckles - bit OTT but as you say, Strangetown. Are they on the skintone or an overlay (linky?).

It looks strong due to how I edited the image. This is how it looks without the excessive contrast.

The freckles are neither, it's layerable makeup. There's a variety of styles everywhere, though I tend to use these.

GoS and a select number of LJs have quite good material. Especially since the Advent calendars have finished up. Plenty of new downloads!

Simblr.
Field Researcher
#87 Old 6th Jan 2013 at 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The SimWhisperer
Or you get the face of number 2, with number 1's nose. And then they look like pigs, in my opinion.

Gosh, I hate when that happens! And it always happens when you mix genes between a Sim with a small face and one with a longer face. I'm actually having that problem in my game right now - I have a gorgeous female Sim from Yuxi who has a three-bolter for a very hunky elf, but no matter what I do, their kids always get an awful face structure. It's either a ridiculously square chin, or an itsy-bitsy piggy nose that doesn't even cover 1/4 of the area where it is supposed to be. And if there's one thing I hate more than having a Sim with a fugly big nose, it's having one with a fugly small nose. And, call me cruel, but I just can't bring myself to play a Sim like that; it's just too big of a disappointment when the heir of my favorite Sim couple doesn't live up to their parent's unique beauty.

Picture proof coming later!
Lab Assistant
#88 Old 7th Jan 2013 at 1:17 AM
Beau Broke, once he's an adult, is pretty handsome, but he could poke someone's eye out with his cheekbones.

And the male Secret Society townie from Academie le Tour with the short brown hair parted down the middle...wheeeeew. He's never getting played.
Scholar
#89 Old 7th Jan 2013 at 1:43 AM
Quote:
Fair enough. I tend to abuse freckles and shit.
I love freckles too, although I tend to be a little more subtle... I do love that sim you pictured though (she's totally adorable in my opinion).

I have various freckles as make-up in my game, but I also picked up freckled skintones for a bit of variety (okay, so I wanted a chance for my sims to inherit them!). I had to re-geneticise them myself, but it was well worth the hassle.

No need to use my full name, "Selly" will do just fine.

My MTS Yearbook 2014 page
Mad Poster
#90 Old 7th Jan 2013 at 9:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxon

Actually, your comments about nose masks interested me. Again, do you have any links to look at? I ask because one of my biggest bugbears is with the 'poofy lips, boiled sweet eyes and pencil nose' look you see with a lot of sims for DL. I also use some default replacements for the face templates but have deleted many over the years for committing these crimes. I think the overlarge eyes are the worst thing (influence of manga right there - custom eyes with sclera make the boiled sweet eyes thing much, much worse) but the pencil noses also get me ranting and pulling my hair out. It makes me think 'mouth breather' because you surely couldn't get anything, including air, through those nostrils.

I use quite a few from the old Sirona Sims site ... it's in the Graveyard.

http://sims2graveyard.com/download.html

And a jpg of the noses:

Many of those work fine with the Maxis skintones, as well as a few customs. Some met my needs much better than others ... I picked and chose.

GOS has lots of nose masks as well, but many correspond to certain skintones, such as Trapping's. Great if you have those skintones (and I do have several of them ) , perhaps not-so-good if you don't. But they may work on other custom skins. It's a matter of trial and error. I've had to delete a few because some don't quite fit with the skintones I'm using.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Mad Poster
#91 Old 7th Jan 2013 at 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazania
I use quite a few from the old Sirona Sims site ... it's in the Graveyard.

And a jpg of the noses:

Psst... your links are both the same and take me to the graveyard's main page.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#92 Old 7th Jan 2013 at 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushigal007
Psst... your links are both the same and take me to the graveyard's main page.

See if this works:
http://files.sims2graveyard.com/sir...D_nosemasks.jpg

tflc is my tumblr with uploads not uploaded here: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/tflc
and my site, tflc: https://littlecarping.com/mybb/

Polgannon: Who Murdered Blaise Penhaligan?
(3rd ed. neighbourhood now available with corrections). Poll: http://strawpoll.me/6689876
Mad Poster
#93 Old 7th Jan 2013 at 1:25 PM
Ah yup, that worked! :D
Lab Assistant
#94 Old 30th Apr 2020 at 1:43 AM
Not ugly exactly but Kristen and Erin always looked way too generic to me. Same with Opal Contrary and Issac Bell.
Consort always looks like angry which is weird.
Scholar
#95 Old 4th May 2020 at 9:41 AM
I really cannot stand the guerilla face ones especially when it spawns with that permanent makeup mask thing (the super red lips and dark rouge). For some reason face #1 never spawns in my game, but the guerilla one is everywhere. I immediately give it plastic surgery.
Mad Poster
#96 Old 4th May 2020 at 12:39 PM
@labellavienna : I think you mean "gorilla"! Guerrillas are like unofficial solders (fighters) who aren't enlisted in a formal army.

You might be interested in SleepyTabby's Subtlety default replacement face templates. They're basically slightly toned down versions of the Maxis templates. I've been using them for several years now. I'm usually not a great fan of default replacements, but default replacing the face templates doesn't affect any existing Sims: these just ensure that Sims that generate in the future are a little bit more muted in appearance.

To be honest I can't think of any Maxis Sims that I find unacceptably ugly. True, Mercutio Monty has rather a big nose, but quite a few real people have big noses too. Real peoples faces vary a lot, and I sometimes see people with faces that I'd think were "unrealistic" if I saw them on a Sim. We're not all Venuses and Adonises. The only "pre-made" Sim who bothers me a little is Peni's Hi Thyme at Land Grant University. I really would start to worry if I looked in the mirror and saw a face like that! (I know Peni intentionally makes her Sims exaggerated, but Hi is the only one I can think of that I find just a little too extreme to be credible.)

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Scholar
#97 Old 5th May 2020 at 12:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGloria
@labellavienna : I think you mean "gorilla"! Guerrillas are like unofficial solders (fighters) who aren't enlisted in a formal army.

You might be interested in SleepyTabby's Subtlety default replacement face templates. They're basically slightly toned down versions of the Maxis templates. I've been using them for several years now. I'm usually not a great fan of default replacements, but default replacing the face templates doesn't affect any existing Sims: these just ensure that Sims that generate in the future are a little bit more muted in appearance.

To be honest I can't think of any Maxis Sims that I find unacceptably ugly. True, Mercutio Monty has rather a big nose, but quite a few real people have big noses too. Real peoples faces vary a lot, and I sometimes see people with faces that I'd think were "unrealistic" if I saw them on a Sim. We're not all Venuses and Adonises. The only "pre-made" Sim who bothers me a little is Peni's Hi Thyme at Land Grant University. I really would start to worry if I looked in the mirror and saw a face like that! (I know Peni intentionally makes her Sims exaggerated, but Hi is the only one I can think of that I find just a little too extreme to be credible.)

Thank you for correcting my mistake! I dont know why I spelled it the way i did, but i did mean "gorilla". I do a lot of default replacements and that link looks very tempting actually. Thanks again <3
Forum Resident
#98 Old 5th May 2020 at 5:05 AM
Well of course Loki Beaker and Nervous Subject (now renamed Logan) get a makeover asap....

" Inama Nushif "
Lab Assistant
#99 Old 5th May 2020 at 12:55 PM
@AndrewGloria, I use the Subtlety templates too and they've been so perfect for me that I haven't wanted to change them in years.

Isaiah Gavigan grew into a teen in my game and I was unprepared for the ski-jump nose and big, upturned mouth. He always looks so vacant - I think his eyebrows are also unusually high, and along with his big dopey grin, he often looks like he's never been troubled by many thoughts. I'm not sure there's any makeover that can help him, poor boy.
Forum Resident
#100 Old 6th May 2020 at 6:15 PM Last edited by terula8 : 6th May 2020 at 6:40 PM.
I find most of the sims in my game - with two exceptions - are perfectly decent looking, despite keeping the Maxis townies. The two exceptions are David and Sharla Ottomas. They have THE most unfortunate genetics I've ever seen in sims, which is bizarre because their parents are perfectly decent looking.

I've said in other threads that I really like to mix Maxis townies with my default replacement faces. I went through and created a set of templates that I felt were representative of just a little bit of the beauty of human diversity across all seven continents, and to me they make every sim beautiful (and reasonably realistic looking). To combat this weird over-prettying of the population, I like to have Maxis sims to breed some of their exaggerated features in. My preferred scenario is a maxis townie with one of my pretty made-over townies. The children are always so interesting, and super distinct!
Page 4 of 5