Replies: 9873 (Who?), Viewed: 390833 times.
Page 390 of 395
Mad Poster
#9726 Old 5th Jul 2020 at 7:34 AM Last edited by HarVee : 5th Jul 2020 at 7:55 AM.
Did some compressorizing of my CC. Slimed down a gig. Hopefully it all works.

My Soundcloud, where I upload some things I make.
Theorist
#9727 Old 5th Jul 2020 at 10:14 PM
I was thinking about the way the TS2 community has its own myths now, like the EA fire that destroyed the first version of the game. Another one from the early days was the claim that Bella was in Strangetown because the developers put her there by accident, then they wrote a mystery around it because they didn't know how to put her back in Pleasantview.
#9728 Old 5th Jul 2020 at 10:55 PM
Wait, did the fire not actually happen?

I've got one or two things on MTS, but most of my stuff is on my main site here:
http://simcessories.blogspot.com/
(Now recruiting budding creators.)
Theorist
#9729 Old 5th Jul 2020 at 11:07 PM
Someone asked one of the SimGurus about it awhile back. They did recall a server fire, but they said they didn't have to rebuild the game, because they took precautions and had backed up all of their work.
Field Researcher
#9730 Old 5th Jul 2020 at 11:59 PM
Maybe the fire was the reason that made the game to eventually corrupt itself over time with the backup copies. Just a theory.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9731 Old 6th Jul 2020 at 12:53 AM
The fire was caused by a programmer with zero cooking skill trying to make a toaster pasty.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Mad Poster
#9732 Old 6th Jul 2020 at 3:09 AM

#9733 Old 6th Jul 2020 at 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugeLunatic
Weird, I don't have this issue.

Hmm, well I'll be! I went back into game and tried it again...and it worked just fine! I guess I can use TS3 roads in my game! Perhaps I had a mod conflict before.

You can call me Diddy (or Eve, if you want to go by my real name) :)
My Simblr is Forever-Evenfall. Come and join me there for a chat!
You can also find me on the MTS or PBK Discord servers under the name 'Evenfall'.
Want to know the latest news in Carregffynon? Click here!
Link Ninja
#9734 Old 6th Jul 2020 at 4:10 PM
If we had inventory pockets like the sims, all the moving companies would be out of business.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Scholar
#9735 Old 6th Jul 2020 at 4:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGloria
The fire was caused by a programmer with zero cooking skill trying to make a toaster pasty.

We had a RL fire in our building last week. I don't know what they were trying to cook, but it ended up with eight fire trucks, three police cars and a transit supervisor (because the buses had to be diverted), and everybody sitting outside for two hours. Unlike Sims, we didn't moth the fire, and people in the building behind ours lit up the emergency phone lines to report smoke coming out of the window before the bad cooks even realized they couldn't extinguish it themselves, so thankfully there were no casualties except the dinner. Apparently these particular people burn their dinner quite often, but went one further this time. They seriously need to improve their cooking skill!
#9736 Old 6th Jul 2020 at 6:17 PM
*sigh* I have got to read download instructions more carefully...I’ve been wondering why the heck Criquette’s lighting remedy hasn’t been working and then I noticed that I have to copy some script into a text file.

You can call me Diddy (or Eve, if you want to go by my real name) :)
My Simblr is Forever-Evenfall. Come and join me there for a chat!
You can also find me on the MTS or PBK Discord servers under the name 'Evenfall'.
Want to know the latest news in Carregffynon? Click here!
Mad Poster
#9737 Old 7th Jul 2020 at 3:43 AM Last edited by HarVee : 7th Jul 2020 at 7:13 AM.
Got the Disco and Zydeco stations from Castaway to work in regular TS2. I am one step closer to getting BAST (Better Audio and Soundtrack) complete. But there is so much more left to do and the game's audio engine, HitMan, is a real pain in the arse to deal with.

Inventor
#9738 Old 7th Jul 2020 at 6:17 AM
I built a school tonight!

It was a lot of fun. I'm so used to building residential lots and I don't even get to enjoy furnishing houses/apartments that much since I don't cheat for money in the game and so interior decorating is very slow moving in my town. However, I had no budget with the school since it's a community lot. I loved adding little details - notebooks, a school bus, chalk drawings on the concrete, and an animated flag pole I found here on MTS. It looks "lived in," like actual students and teachers go there. I love the feeling it adds to my hood.
Mad Poster
#9739 Old 7th Jul 2020 at 6:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyBoo8
I built a school tonight!

It was a lot of fun. I'm so used to building residential lots and I don't even get to enjoy furnishing houses/apartments that much since I don't cheat for money in the game and so interior decorating is very slow moving in my town. However, I had no budget with the school since it's a community lot. I loved adding little details - notebooks, a school bus, chalk drawings on the concrete, and an animated flag pole I found here on MTS. It looks "lived in," like actual students and teachers go there. I love the feeling it adds to my hood.

I had very much the same feeling with some of my lots that aren't necessarily "useful," but are just places that exist and are used in the real world, and thus I wan them in my game... when I was working on my hospital lot, I found myself a lot of the same things you seem to have liked with your school. *wanders off wondering about making a school again*

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9740 Old 7th Jul 2020 at 11:08 AM Last edited by AndrewGloria : 7th Jul 2020 at 1:03 PM.
I wish I was more disciplined about writing up what my Sims have been doing using the storytelling feature.

In theory I play one day rotations, take pictures during the day, and then add captions when I save the game at (or about) 6 a.m. the next morning. The saved date of the household's Storytelling XML file tells me which family I should be playing next. But in practice it all goes to pieces. I play with aging off, with my story progressing very slowly, so I don't have to stick to my rotation order. And, if I'm enjoying playing a family, or something very interesting is happening, I just go on playing them for another day. Or the Real Life time is 2:30 a.m. and I'm too tired to write up the storytelling, so I just save and quit; I can write up the story later. Or some Real Life matter intervenes, and I have to leave the game till later. One way or another, I put off writing up the story. I can do it later.

When I do come back to the game I'd rather play than write up what happened in the last session. "I'll play for another few hours before I write it up," I tell myself. "I'll be able to remember what happened when I look at the pictures." This can go on for days.

So now I've got six Sim days in the Paton household in Downtown Veronaville to write up -- from Friday morning till Thursday morning the next week. I've to do this by adding captions to the 31 pictures I've taken. But I've been very unsystematic about taking those pictures - taking several pictures of various trivial happenings, while taking none of some major events -- like Nancy's little brother Scot moving in. I've got one of a meal out at Gaia. Scot is there. So are Julian Moltke and Regan Capp. But was that before or after Scot moved in? And was it Sunday night? . . . or Monday night? Although this represents only 6 days in-game, I actually played these events over several weeks in June. (I can tell by the dates of the picture files.) It would have been quite easy to write this up if I'd done it at the end of each play session. Or even at the beginning of the next one. But now it's become a chore -- both boring and difficult! If I don't do it, I can be pretty sure that I won't have a clue what the pictures are when I next play the family -- which could be four years from now at the rate I play Veronaville (which has 40+ households and growing). Why oh why can I not discipline myself to do my storytelling timeously?

Are other people so undisciplined? I'm pretty sure Peni isn't.

[I've accidentally posted this before I was finished it. Rather than delete it and repost, I'll just go on editing it and keep saving. So if you're reading this, please come back and read it again in an hour or two's time, 'cause there'll be more of it then! ] [DONE IT! ]

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Top Secret Researcher
#9741 Old 7th Jul 2020 at 1:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGloria
I wish I was more disciplined about writing up what my Sims have been doing using the storytelling feature.

In theory I play one day rotations, take pictures during the day, and then add captions when I save the game at (or about) 6 a.m. the next morning. The saved date of the household's Storytelling XML file tells me which family I should be playing next. But in practice it all goes to pieces. I play with aging off, with my story progressing very slowly, so I don't have to stick to my rotation order. And, if I'm enjoying playing a family, or something very interesting is happening, I just go on playing them for another day. Or the Real Life time is 2:30 a.m. and I'm too tired to write up the storytelling, so I just save and quit; I can write up the story later. Or some Real Life matter intervenes, and I have to leave the game till later. One way or another, I put off writing up the story. I can do it later.

When I do come back to the game I'd rather play than write up what happened in the last session. "I'll play for another few hours before I write it up," I tell myself. "I'll be able to remember what happened when I look at the pictures." This can go on for days.

So now I've got six Sim days in the Paton household in Downtown Veronaville to write up -- from Friday morning till Thursday morning the next week. I've to do this by adding captions to the 31 pictures I've taken. But I've been very unsystematic about taking those pictures - taking several pictures of various trivial happenings, while taking none of some major events -- like Nancy's little brother Scot moving in. I've got one of a meal out at Gaia. Scot is there. So are Julian Moltke and Regan Capp. But was that before or after Scot moved in? And was it Sunday night? . . . or Monday night? Although this represents only 6 days in-game, I actually played these events over several weeks in June. (I can tell by the dates of the picture files.) It would have been quite easy to write this up if I'd done it at the end of each play session. Or even at the beginning of the next one. But now it's become a chore -- both boring and difficult! If I don't do it, I can be pretty sure that I won't have a clue what the pictures are when I next play the family -- which could be four years from now at the rate I play Veronaville (which has 40+ households and growing). Why oh why can I not discipline myself to do my storytelling timeously?

Are other people so undisciplined? I'm pretty sure Peni isn't.

[I've accidentally posted this before I was finished it. Rather than delete it and repost, I'll just go on editing it and keep saving. So if you're reading this, please come back and read it again in an hour or two's time, 'cause there'll be more of it then! ] [DONE IT! ]

Yes, I've done this, taken pictures to write about later, then life got in the way and I forgot. When I returned I'd forgotten the circumstances surrounding the pictures. Which reminds me, I must check if I'm up to date...
Lab Assistant
#9742 Old 7th Jul 2020 at 2:13 PM
Well, I even forget to take the pictures...
Mad Poster
#9743 Old 7th Jul 2020 at 2:28 PM
The neighborhood camera makes you feel god-like. Especially when it drifts.

Alchemist
#9744 Old 7th Jul 2020 at 2:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarVee
The neighborhood camera makes you feel god-like. Especially when it drifts.

I like to zoom in and follow cars with neighborhood camera.
Inventor
#9745 Old 7th Jul 2020 at 4:13 PM
@AndrewGloria I'm right there with you in the sense that I've fallen behind. I just made my first post about my Romana couple on my Simblr. It's so boring. The pictures dates back to when they first moved in and had no children. In my game now they have 8 children, so a lot of time has passed. Also my laptop broke and I was taking organic chemistry online, so I spent a month not touching the game. I'm really good at sticking to my rotation and remembering to take photos, but I got sucked in to playing my game instead of writing things down. Now I find myself going back to make posts to catch up to speed. I'm basically just summarizing everything, but so much good stuff happened I can't remember! I'm not allowing myself to play any households until I summarize all four of my families and get up to speed. If I want to play the game, I have to build something. Luckily I only have four families, forty sounds hectic to catch up with. Good luck!
Mad Poster
#9746 Old 7th Jul 2020 at 4:33 PM
Usually, yes, I am a bit more disciplined than that, but for the past couple of years I've alternated between being unable to sleep at all and crashing without notice. If you're crashing you can't write coherently! So, since all my pictures are taken with the storytelling album, I don't shut down the household without adding all the pictures I've taken (except the obviously terrible ones, where a passing townie blocked the shot at the last moment etc.) into the album. I can then use the wonderfully handy Sims 2 Storyteller utility, which allows editing of the album without opening the game, to write up the session next day during an alert period. Any pictures I decide I don't need I can skip over and delete next time I'm in the game. If the game is one I'm documenting on tumblr or otherwise want to share, I can copy/paste text from the album with the utility.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Top Secret Researcher
#9747 Old 7th Jul 2020 at 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by enebya
Well, I even forget to take the pictures...

That too.
Lab Assistant
#9748 Old 8th Jul 2020 at 12:47 AM
I heard that The Sims 2 has alternate voices for adult Sims, including the voice actors from The Sims 1. I've never noticed it in-game. It'd be great if I could find a video comparing the different voice actors. For example, The Sims Wiki says Strangetown Bella Goth has a different voiceset than the one that was in Pleasantview.
Mad Poster
#9749 Old 8th Jul 2020 at 1:40 AM
There are 6 different voice types. You can hear them if you extract the 6 voice#.packages. Interestingly though not all EPs added voices for each type. M&G only adds sfx for voice types 1,2 and 6.

Field Researcher
#9750 Old 8th Jul 2020 at 9:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverwinter_Knight77
I heard that The Sims 2 has alternate voices for adult Sims, including the voice actors from The Sims 1. I've never noticed it in-game. It'd be great if I could find a video comparing the different voice actors. For example, The Sims Wiki says Strangetown Bella Goth has a different voiceset than the one that was in Pleasantview.

I think if you boot up Pleasantview, the two Caliente sisters have different voices, and maybe another comparison could be between Jennifer Burb and Brandi Broke. It's easiest to tell (at least with female sims) during the birth cutscene, since they say different things depending on the voice. For male sims, I think maybe John Burb and Darren Dreamer have different voices, though don't quote me on that.

If you just want a snippet of the difference between the two female voices, one of Marticore's videos on youtube has a part on comparing the different female voices.
Page 390 of 395