Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#126 Old 27th Jan 2019 at 3:11 PM Last edited by AGuyCalledPi : 27th Jan 2019 at 3:29 PM.
No, I'm just saying. Your graphic design and everything is great, but I dread the thought of having to redo it all myself should I ever want to use footage of Boroughsburg in an episode. God knows how to horizontally mirror dozens of textures and models. I could just mirror the footage, of course, and have normal English text instead. It's a tradeoff I've already had to make with song lyrics.

I'd probably just build a city street set if not for the fact that your streets look considerably better than anything I could build on a singular lot. Maybe I'll have both.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#127 Old 27th Jan 2019 at 4:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AGuyCalledPi
No, I'm just saying. Your graphic design and everything is great, but I dread the thought of having to redo it all myself should I ever want to use footage of Boroughsburg in an episode. God knows how to horizontally mirror dozens of textures and models. I could just mirror the footage, of course, and have normal English text instead. It's a tradeoff I've already had to make with song lyrics.

I'd probably just build a city street set if not for the fact that your streets look considerably better than anything I could build on a singular lot. Maybe I'll have both.

It's a personal preference more than anything in my opinion, like how you keep saying that the world's too small for you among other things.

So keep that in mind that before you toss around words- there has been thought put into this and reasons have already been given as to why things are the way they are. Like what you say, if people want English text, they can flip their footage around as the false Simlish is consistent enough for that to work. Otherwise, worldbuilding (Simlish is largely unreadable) & meeting Simlish halfway there is superior to forcing simmers into an English-only world.
Alchemist
#129 Old 31st Jan 2019 at 9:37 AM
It looks amazing, but I have a very high-end PC and it still lags when you play huge worlds due to the game being 32-bit. I've just learned to play EA worlds and medium costume worlds. It drives me insane if there isn't a smooth flow in the game.

what does his name even mean?
Mad Poster
#130 Old 31st Jan 2019 at 2:30 PM
Like you said, meeting it halfway is ideal. I'll make sure to keep all the unimportant graphical details in my episodes in Simlish (even though they're supposed to be English speakers and writers) but when something needs to be understood I'll do it in English.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#131 Old 1st Feb 2019 at 12:16 AM Last edited by jje1000 : 19th Feb 2019 at 6:51 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by ZenGarden
It looks amazing, but I have a very high-end PC and it still lags when you play huge worlds due to the game being 32-bit. I've just learned to play EA worlds and medium costume worlds. It drives me insane if there isn't a smooth flow in the game.

Same here, lag drives me nuts and this is why Boroughsburg is a medium world.

Large, heavily-detailed worlds simply do not work in terms of long-term gameplay, and Boroughsburg is more detailed than most worlds.
Field Researcher
#132 Old 2nd Feb 2019 at 3:07 PM
Made one more apartment for Boroughsburg, you can find it here

https://simsmidgen.tumblr.com/post/...hotographer-sim

enjoy
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#133 Old 12th Feb 2019 at 2:38 PM
Every town needs a nerd shop, now Boroughsburg has one, too! This lot features space for your hobbies, a drawing table, a computer area, video gaming corner as well as some arcade games, a place to browse through your favourite comic books, and of course the hobby register. Next to it is a Billiard parlour and bar so that you won’t starve while having so much fun.

This lot was built for 8 Empire Street in Boroughsburg but of course can be placed everywhere else, too.

Download here: https://nornities.tumblr.com/post/1...reliable-source

Lab Assistant
#134 Old 13th Feb 2019 at 3:27 PM
Another lot done: this time is 1-23 Landgraab Ave.

DOWNLOAD the Memphis Arcade
Field Researcher
#135 Old 18th Feb 2019 at 11:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MW_thesism3
Working on MoSA South Side (art gallery)

The exterior is practically done, buy it really needs some interior decor

Lot is 22 South Side St.

How's the Art Gallery coming along? I'm reserving this space, waiting patiently.... :D
Lab Assistant
#136 Old 19th Feb 2019 at 2:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsmidgen
How's the Art Gallery coming along? I'm reserving this space, waiting patiently.... :D

I paused it due to the lack of ideas, and then I worked on other lots. I can pass the library file if U want
Field Researcher
#137 Old 19th Feb 2019 at 5:47 AM
I paused it due to the lack of ideas, and then I worked on other lots. I can pass the library file if U want

Yes please! I'll take it how ever it is and finish it myself if needed. I love the shell! thanks
Field Researcher
#138 Old 24th Feb 2019 at 11:15 PM
Here it is!
I've made it based on MoMA PS1 in Long Island. It's an experimental contemporay art museum

Thank you so much!
Mad Poster
#139 Old 3rd Mar 2019 at 7:37 PM Last edited by jje1000 : 3rd Mar 2019 at 8:13 PM.
Ok, starting to fill in the world- please let me know what lots are permissible to be used.

Just as a disclosure, there might be some small tweaks done to lots to help them fit into their surroundings a bit.

Below is a map of the lots, the black dots indicate lots that have been accounted for. White dots are lots that will be adjusted in size in the final build, so builds for those may have to happen later on.
Field Researcher
#140 Old 9th Mar 2019 at 7:45 AM Last edited by Kylaaab : 9th Mar 2019 at 7:40 PM.
Doing some more shell imitations :}

Field Researcher
#142 Old 9th Mar 2019 at 7:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
anyways, anyone taking 1-24 landgraab?

Go graab that land! (I'm not funny omg)

I don't have any plans with it though, just letting you know-- but even if I did, I'd say build on! Variety is always good, so it wouldn't be an issue if a few lots have more than one creator.
Mad Poster
#143 Old 9th Mar 2019 at 9:04 PM
These shell imitations are pretty cool but it makes me think, why not cut the doors and windows out of these shell meshes and place them over actual lots? That way they look like realistic shells from afar, and when the lot is loaded you can hide the shell to look inside.....when you zoom out, you can page up and make the shell visible, but you can still look inside.

It's an idea I've explored earlier with building a subway train. Sooner or later I'll need a subway train lot and while it looks half decent on the interior, the Build Mode tools could never create a believable exterior. So I'd measure the dimensions of the fake subway interior and mesh a car body around it. Or better yet, make it modular (like in actual IRL vehicle bodies) and have door and window meshes that replace entire wall segments with some curved, detailed body panel. But that's a vehicle thing and we're talking about buildings with entirely vertical walls here.

insert signature here
Field Researcher
#144 Old 9th Mar 2019 at 9:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AGuyCalledPi
These shell imitations are pretty cool but it makes me think, why not cut the doors and windows out of these shell meshes and place them over actual lots? That way they look like realistic shells from afar, and when the lot is loaded you can hide the shell to look inside.....when you zoom out, you can page up and make the shell visible, but you can still look inside.

I completely agree, but I wouldn't have an idea of how to go about accomplishing that. I haven't seen any downloadable shells that allow sims to pass through them before, but it's got to be possible considering EA's skyscraper objects.. I tried briefly to change the flags of a non-Boroughsburg building object, but since I have no knowledge of mesh editing and assigning entrances, I wasn't able to get anywhere with that.

Though, if anyone figures it out and makes some of these Boroughsburg shells rout-able, I'd definitely find good use for them. I could probably even place them over some of my existing lots (If they cover the building up entirely, if even by a thread, that is).
Mad Poster
#145 Old 9th Mar 2019 at 9:52 PM
Pretty sure you can quite easily remove an object's hitbox and make it no-clip......don't ask me how, though. Personally I'd clone like a floor plant and replace the mesh with the building shell so it only takes up one tile.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#146 Old 11th Mar 2019 at 4:27 AM
TBH turning the deco buildings into shells didn't happen because a lot of them are less detailed than what they needed to be for close-up gameplay, and often times they don't really line up with the grid (which makes matching windows impossible)- it would be too much work vs starting over. Furthermore, no one has really cracked the shell code, as it's quite complex, unfortunately.

However, there has been some experimentation on alternatives.

As part of initial experimentation, this building is comprised of individual 'shell' pieces that are placed side-by-side to form a building. The best option for a realistic facade, but not very flexible:

There also has been some experimentation with shell 'windows' (only the windows & matches up with that one University sash window) that are very low-poly, reflective, recolorable, and light up at night:

I strongly believe this option is the solution to the shell issue, combined with the prudent use of CAST (which is surprisingly flexible).

The main issue with LOD lot imposters is the awful quality of the windows- if the majority of non-usable windows can be be replaced with these (which look great over LOD lot imposters, and also light up at night), I think it offers the most flexibility in terms of building creation and aesthetic concerns. There are two updates that need to be gotten through first, but there should be more experiments with these in the coming months.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#147 Old 11th Mar 2019 at 4:41 AM
I think that's absolutely the way to go, and using shell meshes for wall and window pieces also allows for details that would normally be impossible to create.....bumps, ledges, slants, angles, non-repeating imperfections.....

insert signature here
Test Subject
#148 Old 15th Mar 2019 at 3:42 PM
Hi guys I have a question about cc conflicts. I download and play this map and I love it so much! However, the train and the moving vehicles on the bridge are not there...I delete all my ccs and leave only files of the map and reload the game. This time the train shows up but the moving vehicles are still missing.
is there anyone having the same problem? And do you have any suggestions?
Thank you very much!!
Mad Poster
#149 Old 15th Mar 2019 at 4:34 PM
Dumb question but do you have World Adventures? Both objects were cloned from it, I believe, to varying degrees and it may be required to support them.

insert signature here
Test Subject
#150 Old 15th Mar 2019 at 4:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
Ok, starting to fill in the world- please let me know what lots are permissible to be used.

Just as a disclosure, there might be some small tweaks done to lots to help them fit into their surroundings a bit.

Below is a map of the lots, the black dots indicate lots that have been accounted for. White dots are lots that will be adjusted in size in the final build, so builds for those may have to happen later on.

Hey, I'm new here, but I've been researching Boroughsburg since January - it's really nice and it's probably my favorite Sims 3 world!
Referencing this map, I noticed a lot of these lots could be filled up with Mspoodle's lots.

I know you're collaborating with @mspoodle1, but I just want to make sure these beautiful lots find their way into your Boroughsburg fill-in - I noticed you hadn't marked them as "accounted for".

Mspoodle's lots:
http://mspoodleplus.tumblr.com/post...-bundle-of-lots
http://mspoodleplus.tumblr.com/post...dle-of-lots-for

Also, these are some lots houseof84sims has furnished, but they use a lot of cc - might be useful for anyone who wants to redo with TS3 furnishing:
http://houseof84sims.tumblr.com/tagged/boroughsbur

Lastly, you might find this thread useful - it explains how to add functional subway stations (the ones used in Bridgeport) to an existing town. But I understand you may not want these, as you already have the main subway station:
https://forums.thesims.com/en_us/di...o-sunset-valley
Page 6 of 13