Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#176 Old 21st May 2013 at 10:17 PM
Default Very odd CAW problem
I have a working CAW. Everything works. It is compatible to my games. The problem is
that I can't get to the bottom of the paint column. I can't get to the color box. Since I can't get to it, it remains at 0 and acts as an eraser. I need to move the color slider.

I have a Dell computer and phoned Dell. A worker worked on this problem for a long, long time with no results.

Is there another way to move the eraser function?

Thank you
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#177 Old 24th May 2013 at 4:49 AM
This is what I get when I open the terrain paint menu. What is different with yours? A picture like this would be great, I just used my snipping tool to capture it.

Screenshots
Scholar
#178 Old 21st Jun 2013 at 9:16 AM
Just to let to know all the CAW creators. EA finally released a new Patch 1.55, if you are in the middle of creating a world. You have no choice but to update your game and download the new CAW. I downloaded and installed the new CAW and has had no issues opening. Don't forget to back-up your Worlds and textures.

Sim Renders
www.ansettanimation.com

Ansett Animation Studios is a subsidiary of RomerJon17 Productions © 2019 - 2020
Instructor
#179 Old 9th Jul 2013 at 1:15 PM
What about the pause in EIG? Has anybody found any way to fix it?
Lab Assistant
#180 Old 30th Jul 2013 at 10:15 PM
OK think I need soome help or at least I'm sure I'm in need of help before i start to cry.

I have a world i have been working on it a lot of time because it is one thing my heart needed to do for sims, and everything worked well until tonight.

I just finished my "In Game" Styling time i finished a Vampire Lounge after 5 Hours working on it, and then i wanted to do some lots in the CAW itself, because I'm doing it the way i need it. (Before i did I made a new save, i'm doing 2 or 3 different saves at one day because i know about the crap that can happen with the damn CAW etc.) well when i was doing the Lots marking thing, it started to crash, i'd reload and made another new file after i finished the Lot thingy and then I wanted to have a look at in in the in game stuff. Yes I got an Error Message while loading it, only choice was to end it, then i reloaded the CAW and tried to load my world in and i got error message, i got error message with every file I tried to load, even with a clean folder without any DL's in it.

It's the same like mentoined in post 66 does anyone have a clue how i could fix it and to make CAW open my world again, i don't care if its opening the latest file, since i have some more i could use instead, but i don't want to loose it all in the end.

They tell us everything's alright and we just go along;
How can we fall asleep at night when something's clearly wrong?
When we can feed a starving world with what we throw away;
But all we serve are empty words that always tastes the same...

Nickelback - When We Stand Together
In the Arena
retired moderator
#181 Old 9th Dec 2013 at 4:18 PM
I found another cause of crashings and its solution.

So, I had the CAW Defogger overrride by auntielynds, and while working on Lunar Lakes, I had forgotten to remove the _INI resources that contain the Fog data, and I get this error:

Notice the error of "7" exceeding the Maximum while the Cloudiness slider is all the way to the right? That was my first clue that something is conflicting. After I remove all the _INI resources in the .world file that contains any mention of Fog data, the crashings went away.

Surprisingly this issue didn't affect the earlier worlds when I forgot to do the same thing (for Monte Vista and Sunlit Tides), but I did use a newly redownloaded version of Lunar Lakes. Maybe EA changed something...they do have the tendency of making changes and not advertising that fact, nor what exactly it was that was changed (or require fixing).
Screenshots
Test Subject
#182 Old 24th Dec 2013 at 4:56 AM
Hopefully I get a reply. CAW updated fine, and is working perfectly in the actual tool. But when I go to use Edit in Game, it loads through the first loading screen. Then the next one, that stupid new thing where you can find different items, loads just about all the way to the end with very little left to load. And just sits there. The finder game or whatever you want to call it, shuffles through from "puzzle to puzzle" and I can click on all the items. But it just won't load past that. Any one else having this problem?
In the Arena
retired moderator
#183 Old 24th Dec 2013 at 5:22 AM
Urm, turn it off?
You can do that manually via the Options.ini if the game cannot even load now. For a guide, see the Crashing Checklist in my signature. It has a section on editing Options.
Test Subject
#184 Old 30th Dec 2013 at 12:27 AM
I downloaded the Sims 3 CAW from the sims 3 website. I downloaded it just fine, but when I click it only the CAW loading screen appears for a second and nothing happens. It wont load at all. I tried uninstalling it and re-installing it but it does the same thing. CAW worked fine until I updated it and now it wont load. Any help would be appreciated. I do not get any error message or anything.
Test Subject
#185 Old 12th Feb 2014 at 3:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Aurora_Elizabeth24
I downloaded the Sims 3 CAW from the sims 3 website. I downloaded it just fine, but when I click it only the CAW loading screen appears for a second and nothing happens. It wont load at all. I tried uninstalling it and re-installing it but it does the same thing. CAW worked fine until I updated it and now it wont load. Any help would be appreciated. I do not get any error message or anything.

I have the exact same problem and it's really annoying! I've tried everything but nothing works -.-'
Test Subject
#186 Old 16th May 2014 at 11:33 PM
i can download and install just fine but when i cl;ick the icon it just says sims 3 create a world is not responding ive tried waitiong it out and nothing im on a windows 7 my sims games work just fine i have BG, WA, GN, SUP, LN AND all but aurora skies in the worlds
Test Subject
#187 Old 20th Sep 2014 at 6:52 PM Last edited by Shia Pólux : 21st Sep 2014 at 1:48 PM.
I have a problem that I think is not listed (Or maybe yes, I'm spanish and I may have don't recall it).

When I open Edit in Game a black screen appears and my mouse changes to the 'wainting' mode. After like 30 minutes (if the "sims 3 has stoped working" menssage doesn't appear) it shows the usual Sims 3 screen of charge, then that new charge screen where you have to found the things the say (maybe 20 minutes together) and then it appears another black screen with a normal mouse. After a lot of time the life mode appears (sometimes it goes back to the black screen without letting me do nothing), I select the 'edit world' option and it goes back to the frst black screen with the 'wainting' mouse. I have tried a docen of times, and always happens one of these.

I have the lattest patch and the lattest version, windows 8 and (i think) the graphics set on 'high resolution'. I'm dessesperate. I have waited two moths in order to have a new computer and continue with my custom world, but it seens like I won't be abble. I want to cry.

Edit:

Ok, now it doesn't even past that first black screen, exactly half an hour after opening it the "sims 3 has stoped working" menssage appears.

Even my game... It keep that screen for hours, without showing the intro. Maybe is the resolution? There is any way to change it without entering the game?
Test Subject
#188 Old 17th Mar 2016 at 12:17 AM
Default Have followed all steps. Still no go.
CAW was working fine. Then quit for the night, came back 3 nights later. Try to launch CAW. Get clueless error that CAW has unexpectedly quit. Have added nothing to game or CAW. Fully updated. Version #'s match in both default ini's. Have deleted all caches, including world cache. Game is running fine. Took the Sims 3 folder from documents and moved to desktop. Launched Sims 3 and reset the options. This was done to remove any and all custom content and packages. Game loaded and ran fine. Then tried CAW. No go. Get error just as the CAW splash comes up. Again. Followed all info for correcting. Nothing works. Very weird, since it was working fine. Then this. Using 1.67 version, which is game version.
Caw default ini:
GameVersion = 1.19.6.024037
CompatVersion = 24
WorldBuilderCompatibilityVersion = 21
Base game default ini:
GameVersion = 1.67.2.024017
CompatVersion = 24
WorldBuilderCompatibilityVersion = 21
Also did try changing the CAW game version to 1.67.2.024017 as base is. Still get crash.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Just got back into Sims 3 after a year away. Have about 12 hrs of work into a custom world.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#189 Old 17th Mar 2016 at 11:10 PM
First test I would try would be to run with a fresh set of CAW userdata (assuming you haven't already).

So, drag the Documents\ Electronic Arts\ The Sims 3 Create A World Tool folder to the desktop (or another safe place) and run CAW.

If that does not work, also test this fresh set of userdata with your CAW CC removed (as well as the game CC removed).

Have you installed anything in the last three days on your computer? Windows updates, antivirus updates? Do you have CAW installed to the default location (Program Files/ Electronic Arts)? If so then your installation will be virtualised, so try clearing the virtual store:
C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts.

I would always recopmmend to install both CAW and Sims 3 to a custom location (for example, C:\Games) to avoid virtualisation.
Test Subject
#190 Old 18th Mar 2016 at 1:09 AM
Thanks for very fast reply.
1) Already did a move of my Sims 3 folder in documents to desktop. Started sims launcher. Loaded game. Set options for sound and video. Closed the game. Did not start a game. Just to point where you chose. Then tried CAW. Same error.
2) Did a clean install of CAW. After uninstall made sure that all Caw data was gone from computer. My userdata folder was backed to another location. Also checked AppData and ProgramData for anything CAW related and deleted. Also checked registery to make sure keys gone. Then did a clean install. Have not put my backed up UserData in yet. So doing a clean start.
As for separate locations. I have 2 standard hard drives and 1 SSD. My system is installed to SSD. And I have "D" drive set as the default program install. Then I have all static items, documents, video, music, pics, etc. going to "B" drive by default. All defaults set at system level. So "C" drive has only the windows folder on it. Also set CAW to require admin. And ran the large memory aware on CAW.
System info: Win 7 x64, AMD quad 4.3, 16gb DDR3, 4gb DDR5 Nvidea.
Have neither added to or removed anything from game or CAW. The only thing that changed was an Nvidea driver update. But that shouldn't be the issue. Since game still works fine. I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but this has me really confused. Which is actually a normal state of mind for me. ;}
Test Subject
#191 Old 19th Mar 2016 at 12:56 AM
Ok I have a question and you may have answered it but I missed it.

If I uninstall CAW, will that damage my current sims 3 game the same way uninstalling a stuff pack will?
Test Subject
#192 Old 19th Mar 2016 at 1:22 AM
I can answer that. No it will have no effect on your game. I have had to uninstall CAW several times and it never affected the game. As I have posted here. My game is working fine. It's CAW that isn't working.

Quote: Originally posted by sweetpoyzin
Ok I have a question and you may have answered it but I missed it.

If I uninstall CAW, will that damage my current sims 3 game the same way uninstalling a stuff pack will?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#193 Old 19th Mar 2016 at 6:56 PM
@sweetpoyzin I agree with what TwistedMaster said.

@TwistedMaster
So you have definitely eliminated the cause of this as being userdata, which is a good start.
Quote: Originally posted by TwistedMaster
As for separate locations. I have 2 standard hard drives and 1 SSD. My system is installed to SSD. And I have "D" drive set as the default program install.

So your CAW is installed to the D drive? Is that a UAC protected location? I'm trying to rule that out.
Test Subject
#194 Old 20th Mar 2016 at 9:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
@sweetpoyzin I agree with what TwistedMaster said.

@TwistedMaster
So you have definitely eliminated the cause of this as being userdata, which is a good start.

So your CAW is installed to the D drive? Is that a UAC protected location? I'm trying to rule that out.

No UAC on "D". But, I have gone to properties and set program to run as admn.
Also just did a roll back of system to point before Nvidia update. Still no go. This is becoming really, really confusing.
How can something work, then just decide not to. Have had no Windows updates lately. Firefox updated a few days ago. Nothing else has updated.
Didn't make any changes to game or CAW. The world I'm creating has been working. But since I have done a clean installed and ran with only default UserData. And TS3 documents has only the default folders\files. And the default ini files of CAW and S3 match. Did LMA on CAW. This has me really scratching my head, can make no sense of it. Note: I did check AppData\virtual store. There is no folder\file associated with CAW or S3 in there. Also did a manual update check of game, though it is set to auto update. Says game fully up to date. Using the 1.67 version of CAW. I'm now leaving this in your hands. Your knowledge is obviously greater than mine. So if you can't figure this, then it ain't gonna get fixed. Makes me a little mad. Been working on building a custom map and city. Got about 20hrs into it. And all I got now is the incomplete test export to play with. Anyway, thanks again for any and all help you can provide.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#195 Old 21st Mar 2016 at 10:30 PM
What exactly does the error message say? Could you post a screenshot? I must admit I'm out of ideas too- if a full clean reinstall didn't work then something on your computer must be preventing the launch, for example a recent windows update or antivirus/security program.
Test Subject
#196 Old 22nd Mar 2016 at 1:27 AM Last edited by TwistedMaster : 22nd Mar 2016 at 4:50 PM.
Better than tell. Here's a screenshot. With this message in background.
https://mega.nz/#!CxkBVbbL!aVlDD4sIoWzTHbGcvdZgxFIIynzd5Ho7rZHItd8nROQ
The message is what I call a dead end message.

Edit: Have checked system update. The last windows update was 4 days prior to this problem. Checked anti-virus no updates. Added this program location as an exception. So it won't scan CAW install folder. Then ran installer and did a repair. Just in case the anti-virus didn't allow something earlier. Seeing no added files or folder in CAW install folder. Nvida did an update. So did a system rollback to prior point. Get same error. I admit that I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. But this makes little to no sense. I agree, it's probably something other than CAW causing issue. But what it is, is the BIG ?.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#197 Old 22nd Mar 2016 at 9:24 PM
I wonder if it's something to do with your game install? After all, CAW does read the Sims 3 install files. Might be an idea to try reinstalling that if you can't think of anything else to try. Do you have any game mods that involve changing the game install files, or maybe any CC files installed the old way?

I'm clutching at straws though- I'm hoping someone else reading this might have a suggestion! :o
Test Subject
#198 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 2:40 AM Last edited by TwistedMaster : 25th Mar 2016 at 11:28 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
I wonder if it's something to do with your game install? After all, CAW does read the Sims 3 install files. Might be an idea to try reinstalling that if you can't think of anything else to try. Do you have any game mods that involve changing the game install files, or maybe any CC files installed the old way?

I'm clutching at straws though- I'm hoping someone else reading this might have a suggestion! :o

Since were both grasping at straws. I'm going to do a clean game install. This will probably take a long time. Though it doesn't seem that this is the issue. Since nothing changed in CAW or game. Was working on a custom map. Had even exported it to test my progress. The export installed fine. And is still working in game.
Was working on map in CAW, quit for night. Came back 2 days later. Tried to launch CAW. Got the error. No changes made to CAW or game.
Is there a location in a file in CAW where logging can be enabled. Would be nice to know a little more than the windows error gives.
Already checked all config files within CAW install folder. Found nothing in them.
Give me a couple of days. I'll have everything reinstalled by then. Only have a couple of hours each night to do this. Will let you know results.
Edit: Quick off topic ?. What is a Dev gift. Saw this in a ini file and always wondered what it is. Hope you can tell me. Thanks.

Update 3\25\2016: Have totally uninstalled Sims 3 base game. Including making sure all traces were removed. Have downloaded through Origin. Reinstalled. Did file verification through Origin. Did update check through Sims launcher. This includes setting my Sims 3 documents folder outside documents. Ran game redid options for game. Loaded game. All running fine. No mods or custom content installed. Running "in to the future DLC". Then did a clean install of CAW. Also removed all residual files and checked registry. Reinstalled CAW. Checked both CAW and Sims "default.ini", versions match. No CAW folder in documents. Did the memory fix. Launched CAW. SAME DAMNED ERROR!!!
I'm not one for giving up on things. But unless someone can come up with ideas. I have no choice, because this makes 0 sense. And, without a log file, there's no way of finding a solution.
Test Subject
#199 Old 3rd Apr 2016 at 11:42 AM
Default A kind of error not mentioned
I have encountered an error in the CAW, concering the Edit-in-Game tool, that I can't find any information on in this thread.

When I try to start the Edit-in-Game I get an error message that says a serious error has occured and that I am recommended to restart the CAW. Then the game loading bar pops up and I get to the main menu, the screen where you select your World or save game, with Sunset Valley (I have no EP:s installed right now) as the only option and no way to get to to the Edit-in-Game mode. I have tried using the batch file made by Zaide_Chris that Simsample refers to in the first post of this thread, but exactly the same thing happens if I do. The link to the fix by SimAd, mentioned in the same post, is broken.

I run the CAW with the 1.69 version of the CAW and the latest game patch 1.69.43.024017. It is impossible for me to use any other game patch (or CAW patch) than 1.69. As far as I can tell that is because of the known issue that digital downloads purchased after a certain date in 2012 can't be "down-patched". If you have such a digital version the game updates at install, so you will always have the latest version when you first start the game, even if you disable game updates in Origin. It can't be solved using the Super patch, I have tried. I have found information that you can solve this problem by purchasing a pre-2012 disc version of the base game. This is not an option for me since I run the CAW on a Mac with Bootcamp and Windows 10, and my computer has no built in CD-player.

I have no mods installed and I haven't got the final EP or SP (In to the Future and Movie Stuff). I might consider getting them (even if I normally wouldn't) just to use the CAW, since that might help according to the first post in this thread, but I'm uncertain if this will help me, since my problem might be another than the problem of getting to the launcher when you start the Edit-in-Game mode. Any advice?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#200 Old 3rd Apr 2016 at 9:48 PM
@TwistedMaster One thing I can think of to try that you may not have already is to add all of your Sims 3 installation files to your antivirus exception locations. I know you mentioned that you added CAW to this list. Apart from that, you could try running Windows in safe mode and test CAW then. Or alternatively reboot windows into a diagnostic mode, or with all startup programs disabled (you can do this through task manager in Win 10 I think). This could tell us something.

@Hjommd I've heard others with the 1.69 CAW complaining that EIG will not work. I'm hoping someone who has some ideas will speak up, because I'm not sure what to advise you here. Sorry.
Page 8 of 9