Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

HomeworkSometimesFasterFun

by Jenflower Posted 15th Dec 2004 at 10:57 PM - Updated 19th Mar 2009 at 7:11 AM by Jenflower : Apartment Life version uploaded again after server crash

243 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 237 Feedback Posts, 5 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 4 of 10
Test Subject
#76 Old 23rd Dec 2004 at 12:03 PM
This works great and I use it in my game. Though, when I was at school I hated homework, my fun bar always dropped into the deep red, so, the way maxis had it was more realistic. But the game's supposed to be fun so thank you!
#77 Old 23rd Dec 2004 at 3:19 PM
Il'd Just Like To Put a shout out to all the people here who love turtles, real or mutant, and thanks for the great hack
Test Subject
#78 Old 24th Dec 2004 at 10:57 AM
This hack is great and works like a charm... I love the no homework message...too kewl
Test Subject
#79 Old 26th Dec 2004 at 9:06 PM
I love this hack, and it seems to work perfectly.
Lab Assistant
#80 Old 27th Dec 2004 at 8:02 PM
I hated having my kids do homework especially my poor little ones with low grades this is going to make the little tikes sigh with relief (hmm me too.)
Thanks, your hard work is appreciated.
Test Subject
#81 Old 28th Dec 2004 at 2:30 AM
I understand that there is no homework sometimes, can you make the same hack, but with homework all the time. I think I'll feel like cheating if they don't have homework everyday. besides, they don't get any one sat. and sun.
Forum Resident
#82 Old 28th Dec 2004 at 7:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AnastasiaRenai
I understand that there is no homework sometimes, can you make the same hack, but with homework all the time. I think I'll feel like cheating if they don't have homework everyday. besides, they don't get any one sat. and sun.

Anastasia have you reread your question? Jen worked very hard on this (BTW have I remembered Jen to tell you how perfectly this is working in my game?). If you want to have your kids still need to do their daily homework then just don't use this hack. I don't understand what kind of adjustment Jen would have to do for you. Having HW every day would defeat the purpose of this hack. If you want you kids to enjoy HW then just add Merola's painting to your object mix. The purpose of the hack is to make homework less of a chore for the kids. And kids don't get writing assignments every night. In fact, my Sim kids did not get homework every night before Jen's hack. Now at least I get a warning that there is no homework so I don't have to play at being psycho control freak player to make certain the kid just didn't hide the homework.

Sorry for being so short and snide. But geesh!
Field Researcher
#83 Old 28th Dec 2004 at 11:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jinyc
Anastasia have you reread your question? Jen worked very hard on this (BTW have I remembered Jen to tell you how perfectly this is working in my game?). If you want to have your kids still need to do their daily homework then just don't use this hack. I don't understand what kind of adjustment Jen would have to do for you. Having HW every day would defeat the purpose of this hack. If you want you kids to enjoy HW then just add Merola's painting to your object mix. The purpose of the hack is to make homework less of a chore for the kids. And kids don't get writing assignments every night. In fact, my Sim kids did not get homework every night before Jen's hack. Now at least I get a warning that there is no homework so I don't have to play at being psycho control freak player to make certain the kid just didn't hide the homework.

What is Merola's painting? I guess I should look for that. I would infer that this person probably wants the other benefits of Jen's mod, such as speeding up homework AND making it slightly fun (and thus more realistic). But also prefers that the kids always have homework or have homework more than usual.

As for Your sims not having homework every night Before Jen's hack??? Has that always been the case? Before I started using Any hacks, my kids Always had homework, M-F, for Both teens AND kids (well, whatever they are called after toddler, but before teen). I can sort of see wanting kids to have homework all the time because, well, when I was in school, I typically had homework practically every day. I mean, you would usually have homework everyday, at least from Different classes. It would be pretty rare to have No homework at all from All of your classes.

But... for my purposes, as far as the sims go, I kinda like that homework is Not as frequent as before. It's such a timeburner and I actually have my teens work too, which also takes up their time. So I totally love this mod!
Test Subject
#84 Old 28th Dec 2004 at 1:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jinyc

It's ok, I understand. The hack is great, and I already downloaded. I honestly did not mean it as criticism, just a suggestion.
Test Subject
#85 Old 28th Dec 2004 at 1:40 PM
[QUOTE=syberspunk]I would infer that this person probably wants the other benefits of Jen's mod, such as speeding up homework AND making it slightly fun (and thus more realistic). But also prefers that the kids always have homework or have homework more than usual.[QUOTE]

Your inference was correct. Thanks for understanding.
Forum Resident
#86 Old 28th Dec 2004 at 2:01 PM Last edited by jinyc : 28th Dec 2004 at 2:08 PM.
The mod like its creator is absolute inspired perfection.

Yes, before the mod I had days when kids and teens had no HW. That was when I became the HW Nazi. If the kid did not head straight for the PC I would go on a mad search to see where he/she had hidden it. I was still mistrusting even though I could not find the HW folder anywhere on the lot. Jen's mod makes it much easier not to be the HW Nazi. I would say 9 out of 10 times now (and I bet it's 100% if was paying attention at 1 and 3 PM) Jen's HW mod let's me know to go easy on the whipper-snappers.

The painting is by Jerry (with help from the divine Merola...sorry about the misinformation). You can find it here in post #29:

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthre...06&page=2&pp=25

It is awesome and multifunctional. Before Jen's mod for HW I used to use the painting to increase the fun needs of the kids and teens so they would quickly get their HW out of the way. There were times in the past when a kid would come home fun drained and then get increasingly tired and when his or fun was at an acceptible level all I would see was a pixilated pixie whining that he/she would do their HW later, over and over all the time crying softly. How many times did I start removing doors to rooms or simply build a wall around the offending child?????? Ah the control issue in reverse!

One other feature of this painting that I love is its decrease needs. How many times have any of your Sims inadvertently gotten up at an odd hour. They won't go back to sleep and they will be worthless the following day for lack of it. Well, now I can drain their energy instantly and then send them back to bed. (I sound like an infomercial)

I too have loads of teens with after school jobs. It's so much nicer for them to have their HW finished before being picked up by the car pool (Jen's mod has helped enormously with this).

I understand what the person is asking but I would like to think that Jen has bigger fish to fry.

I just read Anastasia's posts and still want to apologize for being so gruff.

Famous quote: Ethel Merman once asked George Gershwin if she should take voice lessons and Gerswhin replied: If it ain't broke don't fix it!

I feel the same way about this hack.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#87 Old 29th Dec 2004 at 12:33 AM
Well, I avoided answering Anastasia's request because I honestly wanted to see if anyone else felt the same way about it. We all probably have a few different opinions on how homework should be handled in the game, but I tried to keep it fair without being completely outrageous.

As far as 'homework sometimes' goes....my daughter has a teacher this year who doesn't give homework on Fridays and never on days before holidays, etc. That is what I was trying to embrace with this hack. Homework sometimes.
Then, of course, I wanted to add a little bit of realism for us school nerds who actually enjoyed school by letting the fun bar not drop so rapidly during the school day. Also, those of us with good grades probably find that we understand the work a little better and we can therefore finish our homework a little bit faster.
And, it gives the C students something to work towards.

Thank you, jinyc :hi: - you understand the purpose of this hack perfectly.
I guess at this point I could consider this hack to be complete. No errors have arisen and most seem to be satisfied with it.
When I finally get around to actually playing Sims 2 again, I might come up with another idea or two to add to this, but for now, I think I'll leave it as it is. Thanks all!
Test Subject
#88 Old 29th Dec 2004 at 12:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Miss Puff
I like this idea, I didn't want to go so far as getting rid of the homework, but this seems a lot more realistic than what the poor kids have to go through now and you still have to work for many of the benefits.

This is what I love about Jenflower's hacks. Her hacks are REALISTIC. Her hacks are not like the other hacks which allow your sims to totally get rid of tedious things in life like homework, or the need to take a shower, etc. Instead her hacks simply make things a *little* less tedious for the sims. In real life, very few teenagers ever get assigned homework that they spend 3 hours on. This is what Jen's hack seems to accomplish.... it makes the effort by the sims more consistent with what we normally get in real life.... I remember that when I was in high school, I always finished my Math homework in about 30 minutes, sometimes a little less or a little longer. Never 3 hours like Maxis would do to torture the simlings.

keep up the good work Jen!
Lab Assistant
#89 Old 29th Dec 2004 at 9:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gali
J.M., DON'T take the 'nohomework' out!!!

It works so great, that I don't want to use another hack, no matter what it suggests....

It's quite a while that I can relax and no worry about home works, but take care of the training the teens skills, and find them jobs, to become "overachievers".

If somebody wants to waste time over home works - he will choose to download this hack. But many of us are fully contentented with the "nohomework" hack!...

Yeah some of us do want to "waste time" doing homework, homework is part of school (and realistic). Great hack Jen.....
Test Subject
#90 Old 30th Dec 2004 at 12:56 AM
I'm with you, Jen. School and homework rank really high among the most satisfying and enjoyable experiences of my life. And, fwiw, the work I've done in my career.

Activities don't need to be a complete waste of time to be enjoyable. Both school and your career *should* be something you enjoy. If that's not the case, rethink what you are doing with your life!

I think the time spent doing homework is one of the major blunders EA made with the game. In real life a couple of hours isn't too unreasonable, but in real life it doesn't take a half hour to walk across the living room! In real life not everyone gets an A+; but then, not everyone aspires to get the top grades, either.

I'll try this one as soon as I've rebuilt my neighborhood. It sounds like a real winner!

Greg
Instructor
#91 Old 30th Dec 2004 at 2:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by rolandus
In real life, very few teenagers ever get assigned homework that they spend 3 hours on. This is what Jen's hack seems to accomplish.... it makes the effort by the sims more consistent with what we normally get in real life.... I remember that when I was in high school, I always finished my Math homework in about 30 minutes, sometimes a little less or a little longer. Never 3 hours like Maxis would do to torture the simlings.

*raises hand*

I generally had a total of about 2 hours of homework a night as a teenager, counting all subjects. Sometimes a lot more. My teachers always gave far more homework over weekends, and as for winter break, what break? A+s were also impossible at my school; 100% counted as an "A". I don't like the "get A+" wants because they seem so silly to me. A is plenty. The "A+" wants remind me of my friend who cried because she got a B+ on one quiz in calculus the second semester of senior year.

I would also like homework every day, including Fridays, for my teen Sims, because that's what my experience was. However, children generally get less homework, or should, so this hack is perfect in that area.
Test Subject
#92 Old 30th Dec 2004 at 3:13 PM
Yea..
That is sooo true! Good job, you lil turtle freak you ! My self, I am more of a rubber duck person
Test Subject
#93 Old 30th Dec 2004 at 4:55 PM
Jenflower,

I hope you do not mind but I have been reviewing your hack in SimPE as part of my learning process for modding. I am trying to understand the Random Number instruction and it's operands. For you hack, what are the odds for having HW?
#94 Old 30th Dec 2004 at 8:54 PM
Default Small change
I would suggest that different grades give different boosts. A+ = 9 and F = -5?

TomWolf
Lab Assistant
#95 Old 1st Jan 2005 at 4:27 AM
Great hack this will make the school part of my sims so much less of a chore. Two thumbs up AAA+
Test Subject
#96 Old 1st Jan 2005 at 4:45 AM
This is one of my favorite hacks... Jenflwr you did a great Job!!!
Test Subject
#97 Old 1st Jan 2005 at 8:28 PM
Mod works great in my game. Thanks.
Test Subject
#98 Old 2nd Jan 2005 at 11:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Jenflower

But, thinking about it now, I think my problem is that I never really tested it with a child who has been taught how to study (+3 boost) and is being helped (+3 boost), which would give the student a final boost of 14 ... ack!
So if I do test it and see that it is ridiculously fast, I will definitely lower it.

has this been changed? :-)
Test Subject
#99 Old 3rd Jan 2005 at 6:20 PM
I had originally installed the noschoolhack because of all the various reasons previously posted. Anyway, I took that hack out , rebooted & installed this and it doesn't work for either new or existing sims. Very disappointed...but of course if I ever have it work I'll love it!
#100 Old 5th Jan 2005 at 7:17 PM
Great Mod!
I downloaded this a few days ago, and it's great! The best part about it is that my teen Sims' fun level doesn't drop as much while they're IN school. It sucked to have them come home, watch TV to raise fun, do homework while starving to death, have them eat while they're filthy, take a shower with a full bladder, and finally send them to bed without talking to a soul all day!
Thank you!
Also, I've had no ill effects AT ALL with this mod!
Page 4 of 10