Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#51 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 12:08 AM
I'd love to make a mod that enables all Sims to have "Go to Library" on their menu the way that Bookworms do. Nothing I've tried has worked, is this even possible with xml tuning?
Advertisement
1978 gallons of pancake batter
#52 Old 10th Jun 2010 at 4:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pearlbh
I'd love to make a mod that enables all Sims to have "Go to Library" on their menu the way that Bookworms do. Nothing I've tried has worked, is this even possible with xml tuning?
No, it's not. The check for the bookworm trait is hardcoded directly in the Test() method of the GoToLibrary interaction. You'd have to clone the whole interaction with a scripting mod.

If gotcha is all you’ve got, then you’ve got nothing. - Paul Krugman
Lab Assistant
#53 Old 10th Jun 2010 at 10:33 PM
Thanks, Buzzler! I can give up now trying to do the impossible.
Test Subject
#54 Old 21st Jun 2010 at 11:30 PM
OK, I'm a rank n00b, so I likely did not get this right the first time. I got the gameplay.package, opened it up in S3PE, and found the XML that addresses the Opportunities that are offered. I opened the XML up, and deleted all opportunities that offer only Simoleans as the benefit. The reason is that I am playing an uber-wealthy family, and all the Simolean opportunities are merely a distraction at this point. I then placed the revised XML back in S3PE and made a package of just that XML file, and put it in my Mods > Packages folder with all my other packages. My sim just got offered the "Adonis" opportunity (money for working out at the Gym). I looked back in my files and this opportunity had been deleted. Is there another file I have to alter, or is there something I have to do to tell the program to use my XML list of opportunities instead of those embedded in gameplay.package?

Thanks so much for your kind consideration of my question.

SQ
Test Subject
#55 Old 23rd Jun 2010 at 12:47 PM
ok so what do i do if Game\Bin\Gameplay doesnt show up in the sims3 files?
Test Subject
#56 Old 24th Jun 2010 at 1:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sammie1731
ok so what do i do if Game\Bin\Gameplay doesnt show up in the sims3 files?

On what platform, Mac or PC?
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
Test Subject
#58 Old 26th Jun 2010 at 2:36 AM
What is framework exactly do you refer to Windows framework or a skeleton framework of directory structure (Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\(Mods))?

Also is there a way to force the game into reading packages apposed to just putting in my document.....\Mods\

What exactly changed with all the expansion packs and the way the game has to be modded(there is talk of old way and new way)
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
Lab Assistant
#60 Old 23rd Aug 2010 at 4:58 AM
How do I search for specific instance without searching for the name or at least it matched the instance that I'm looking for? I tried searching for one specific name but with no result but I did found the name in _KEY (for example "Diner_0x***). I tried checking from the _KEY (example I search for Cobbler) and it matched but when I tried searching for others nothing appear. Any idea how can I do this?
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#61 Old 23rd Aug 2010 at 10:19 AM
hatosan - What I did was extract ALL the XML to a folder, and then use a program like Notepad++ (which is free) to search within all the files in that folder.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
#62 Old 27th Aug 2010 at 10:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
hatosan - What I did was extract ALL the XML to a folder, and then use a program like Notepad++ (which is free) to search within all the files in that folder.

Extract ALL? Are you serious? lol.. sorry for my manner.. but I don't have the ample time to do so.. due to my commitments to my "beloved" work. Normally I just do my own "trial and error" XML modding during my spare time and just for fun. But I will take it into consideration.

BTW I am using Notepad++ but consider this, will I be able to locate the specific string/instance name if I choose to extract all according to your suggestion? Because right now I'm stumped.
Lab Assistant
#63 Old 6th Sep 2010 at 8:21 PM
Does anyone know what XML I need to edit? I want to change the skills so that They are instantly gained. (no mod out there has worked for me so I thought I'd make my own). Thanks
Field Researcher
#64 Old 8th Sep 2010 at 6:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by shareallicu3
Does anyone know what XML I need to edit? I want to change the skills so that They are instantly gained. (no mod out there has worked for me so I thought I'd make my own). Thanks

It will most likely be in the GamePlayData package with the other XML files, so you can start from their and in S3PE start a search for things with motive in it and go from there.
Test Subject
#65 Old 17th Sep 2010 at 2:56 AM
WTF?

I downloaded S3PE & loaded the Gamedata, but it doesn't have the line for 'Sort' or 'Display User Name'. Is this a glitch or did they change it?
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#66 Old 17th Sep 2010 at 3:06 AM
You may need to drag the lower panel up to see them.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Test Subject
#67 Old 17th Sep 2010 at 3:15 AM
now i really feel stupid. TY cmomoney for the help.
Test Subject
#68 Old 7th Oct 2010 at 4:17 PM Last edited by deckete : 7th Oct 2010 at 4:36 PM.
Hysterical, How do I do to make a ghost to kill a sim, or through fright or something else? It also functions with the ghosts that ghost hunters rush to exterminate them.
Test Subject
#69 Old 31st Oct 2010 at 11:39 AM
Alright well, I managed to find what I was looking for, although I had to extract GameplayData.package in order to be able to find that one as a single XML file.

How can I get this changed XML file into a package now ? There is no option within S3PE to import an XML file..

Also, do I have to dig into every single file if I'm looking for something specific or is there an easier way ? Just asking.
Test Subject
#70 Old 2nd Nov 2010 at 1:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Odistant
It will most likely be in the GamePlayData package with the other XML files, so you can start from their and in S3PE start a search for things with motive in it and go from there.

but how do i know which values to change to give me the result? And also how do i make all fish and fruits buyable in the game?
retired moderator
Original Poster
#71 Old 2nd Nov 2010 at 1:48 PM
Kojin - Make a new file, and you should be able to import using the Resource menu. For info on finding stuff, see my reply to antey2008 below...

antey2008 - That's the tricky part. You have to look around to try to find what values might do what you want. One of the things I did to help was to extract ALL the XML files to a folder, so that I could search them with a program called Notepad++. You can use the "find" function similar to the "find and replace" in any program, only you can set it to search a particular folder.

All fruit and fish buyable should be pretty easy. You just need to find the XMLs that define the parameters for the fruits and fish and there should be one parameter in each of them that's something like "Buyable = True" or "Buyable = False". Might not be called "buyable" - possibly "ShowsInStore" or something like that, but it should be pretty obvious what it is when you look at it.

Finding stuff really is the hardest part of this, but once you get a good system to search, it's not too bad.
Test Subject
#72 Old 2nd Nov 2010 at 2:17 PM
can you show me how to exact all the xml files to a folder please?
retired moderator
Original Poster
#73 Old 2nd Nov 2010 at 2:24 PM
Just select the entire list of XML files (it may seem like S3PE has frozen for a few minutes while it's busy trying to select everything) and then export them all to a new folder. Again, it may seem like it's frozen, but eventually it'll finish exporting and then you can search the files in that folder using Notepad++.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Theorist
#74 Old 2nd Nov 2010 at 3:36 PM
S3PE has a search function, no?
retired moderator
Original Poster
#75 Old 2nd Nov 2010 at 3:39 PM
Does it? I've... never actually used it. Most things in S3PE tend to be a bit sluggish for me, and I use Notepad++ to edit things anyway, so this method is easiest for me.

Page 3 of 8