Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Napping Mat

by Arsil Posted 13th Apr 2017 at 11:50 PM - Updated 11th May 2017 at 4:01 PM by Arsil : No more clipping

104 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 43 Feedback Posts, 60 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 5
Inventor
THANKS POST
#26 Old 15th Apr 2017 at 3:51 PM
Thank you very much for your response!!!! Yes, I see that the two mods do different tasks, thank you!!!
Inventor
Original Poster
#27 Old 15th Apr 2017 at 10:52 PM Last edited by Arsil : 1st May 2017 at 12:02 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by beebeefrogs
However it glitches through the floor constantly and sometimes just has chinks of it missing no matter what surface its on.

Yep, I noticed that today for the first time, never saw it before.
EDIT: Nope, I wastalking about something else, not about the clipping.
I saw a toddler constantly using the lying down animation even after waking up.
Didn't happen again, but there might still be a bug somewhere.
Inventor
Original Poster
#28 Old 16th Apr 2017 at 8:10 AM
I'm too distracted by other mods ATM, so I wasn't able to check the code.
I briefly tried in game to reproduce the steps that lead to the glitch, but no dice so far.

This bug is a mystery, so my prime suspect is the butler.
Barring that, I have an hunch: try removing the _Animations package and see if it keeps happening.

One last thing: does a ResetSim (from the console or one of NRaas mods) fix a glitching Toddler?
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#29 Old 16th Apr 2017 at 6:31 PM
I've been wanting something like this!
Inventor
Original Poster
#30 Old 17th Apr 2017 at 7:53 AM Last edited by Arsil : 21st Apr 2017 at 7:28 AM.
So, I got an idea for a "tuck in" interaction that child+ Sims could perform on a toddler sleeping on the mat.

But I'd like some help.

The idea is to use 2 geostates for the mesh: the first one called "default", the second one "tucked".
I think the best way to do this is what peter9g explained HERE.
Basically you add a second (of third, counting the shadow? not sure if rugs have it) group to the mesh,
this second group will be invisible/hidden with the default geostate and fully visible using the "tucked"
geostate. This group of the mesh should be shaped as a loose blanket that covers the toddler,
(toddlers sleeping with a weird orientation may be a problem).
Using the first or second geostate for the first group won't affect the way it looks
(both geostates will show all polygons of that group).
EDIT: the first group probably doesn't even need to have geostates, if that is possible
(I'm almost sure that swapping the geostate won't cause any problem if the whole mesh - or
like in this case, a single group - doesn't have any).

If someone is interested in this, clone my mat, follow the specifications and I'll take care of the coding
(that part should be trivial) to make this work. I'll only take into consideration contributions with a policy
that allows to freely re-use/modify the mesh without strings attached, I'll credit the author but I want the
object to be easily re-meshable by other creators.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#31 Old 17th Apr 2017 at 3:13 PM
More much needed stuff for the toddlers ;) I missed the option to have the toddler to sleep in the dog bed from TS2, and this is a great alternative :D Would love if you could raise the mat to fit in the dog-bed than with MoveObjects-on this would be perfect ;) Thank you for all the great mods you make for this game :D
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#32 Old 18th Apr 2017 at 2:32 AM
This is the mod I ever wanted!
It's very annoying when toddlers wakes up with all motives full, but cries all night long for being stuck in the crib

A big "thank you" from Brazil!
Mad Poster
#33 Old 18th Apr 2017 at 5:58 AM
This looks like it should help with making the toddlers more independant and keep them from being a problem with waking other sims up crying to get out of the crib.
Icy Spicy
#34 Old 20th Apr 2017 at 8:50 AM Last edited by icemunmun : 20th Apr 2017 at 11:25 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Arsil
So, I got an idea for a "tuck in" interaction that child+ Sims could perform on a toddler sleeping on the mat.

But I'd like some help.

The idea is to use 2 geostates for the mesh: the first one called "default", the second one "tucked".
I think the best way to do this is what peter9g explained HERE.
Basically you add a second (of third, counting the shadow? not sure if rugs have it) group to the mesh,
this second group will be invisible/hidden with the default geostate and fully visible using the "tucked"
geostate. This group of the mesh should be shaped as a loose blanket that covers the toddler,
(toddlers sleeping with a weird orientation may be a problem).
Using the first or second geostate for the first group won't affect the way it looks
(both geostates will show all polygons of that group).

If someone is interested in this, clone my mat, follow the specifications and I'll take care of the coding
(that part should be trivial) to make this work. I'll only take into consideration contributions with a policy
that allows to freely re-use/modify the mesh without strings attached, I'll credit the author but I want the
object to be easily re-meshable by other creators.

Rugs have only one group (no shadow mesh). So basically I need to add a mesh group to the rug object ( from your package) and make the Group 0 = Base Napping Mat and Group 1 = Loose Blanket ? I am going to try it with TSRW and see whether adding a mesh group does the trick! ( I have successfully added mesh groups using TSRW before but sometimes TSRW throws a fit!). Or do I need to start with an object with geostates as a base ? ( I have worked with TSRW geostates before but never with s3pe).

Edit : In a mesh which already has geostates, changing them or duplicating them is easy enough in TSRW but for meshes ( without geostates), I dont see any way to add geostates to a mesh group ( group 0, group 1) . So I guess I will need S3PE to add geostate capability to a specific mesh group ?

Edit 2 : I added a Mesh group (Group 1) to your rug which has 2 geostates named (fnv32 hash) "default" and "tucked" . Now the Default = Base mat and Tucked = Blanket...right ? I will go mesh the object now!

Also can you give me an idea about how high should the blanket be placed to avoid clipping with the toddler ?
I made a prototype in blender ...is this what you had in mind ? (Ofcourse its just a blender render image with solid colours and no textures...it will have proper textures and stencils at the end) (See attached image)
Screenshots
Inventor
Original Poster
#35 Old 20th Apr 2017 at 4:19 PM Last edited by Arsil : 20th Apr 2017 at 4:34 PM.
Dear icemunmun,
First of all, thanks a bunch ^^

Quote: Originally posted by icemunmun
Also can you give me an idea about how high should the blanket be placed to avoid clipping with the toddler ?

EDIT: Blender (with the right plugins) should allow you to import the toddler mesh + the sleeping animation,
called p2o_crib_sleep_loop_y, AND the mat mesh (using "Load Prop" who let's you choose a .package
file). That way you should easily be able to see how high it should go.

If you are not familiar with those tools, then I can only suggest to make a quick mesh not too
much refined and check in game how it looks (make the blanket visible by default for the test).

I already know it will be very hard to make the blanket look good if toddlers sleep facing a non
default direction (based on traits), but I'm ready to get rid of that feature (or simply make the
mat not tuckable in that case) if this blanket think works and looks good.

Question: isn't your mat too high? A bit of clipping (hands and feet sinking in it) shouldn't be a
big deal, but you better try it in game before putting too much work on the mesh.
Icy Spicy
#36 Old 20th Apr 2017 at 5:38 PM Last edited by icemunmun : 22nd Apr 2017 at 6:43 PM.
Dear icemunmun,
First of all, thanks a bunch ^^

EDIT: Blender (with the right plugins) should allow you to import the toddler mesh + the sleeping animation,
called p2o_crib_sleep_loop_y, AND the mat mesh (using "Load Prop" who let's you choose a .package
file). That way you should easily be able to see how high it should go.

If you are not familiar with those tools, then I can only suggest to make a quick mesh not too
much refined and check in game how it looks (make the blanket visible by default for the test).

I already know it will be very hard to make the blanket look good if toddlers sleep facing a non
default direction (based on traits), but I'm ready to get rid of that feature (or simply make the
mat not tuckable in that case) if this blanket think works and looks good.

Question: isn't your mat too high? A bit of clipping (hands and feet sinking in it) shouldn't be a
big deal, but you better try it in game before putting too much work on the mesh.

Ah...I could never get the blender plugins for poses (s3pe in general) to work properly before (guess did not have any motivation earlier!) Now I have got it all set up and ready to adjust the mesh!
The mat is just a protype and it is huge! I need to at least scale it down to 0.2 times its original size! Will get back to you after modification!

Edit : Scale is about right ? (picture attached)

Also , Default geostate = mat and Tucked geostate = only blanket or blanket+mat ? I have attached a prelim package with only one preset. Tell me if it works or not? If there is too much clipping, any texture issues ?
Screenshots
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#37 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 12:30 AM
Thank you for the wonderful mod can't wait to try it.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#38 Old 22nd Apr 2017 at 9:55 PM
THANK YOU
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#39 Old 23rd Apr 2017 at 6:29 PM
Love this!! Sometimes I would push their sleep bar down just so they would fall asleep from exhaustion where they were instead of interrupting their parents to sleep in their crib. So happy I will no longer need to do that anymore they can just wander over to their mat and take a nap. Thank you!!
Scholar
#40 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 10:46 PM
The napping mat works great! I have had absolutely no problem with it. The only minor annoyance is the napping map clips horribly into the ground, but that is rectified by using moveobjects and placing a 'real' rug underneath to stop that. The toddlers sleep on it and can easily get off if they want to; no more need to have the older sims wake up at odd hours to let them out!
Inventor
Original Poster
#41 Old 25th Apr 2017 at 9:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CatMuto
The only minor annoyance is the napping map clips horribly into the ground, but that is rectified by using moveobjects and placing a 'real' rug underneath to stop that

How you do that? moveobjects on or off, I can only put the rug above the mat, not underneath it.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#42 Old 1st May 2017 at 2:13 PM
Great to see new objects for sims 3
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#43 Old 2nd May 2017 at 2:01 AM
Thank you both (Arsil and Icemunmun) for this update. Love the look of this and my toddlers are superhappy :D
Scholar
#44 Old 2nd May 2017 at 5:51 PM
How you do that? moveobjects on or off, I can only put the rug above the mat, not underneath it.

I was wrong, the rug ends up above the mat - and it doesn't require moveobjects at all. The only issue I see with this is that you can't really click on the mat itself, but toddlers autonomously sleep on it, anyway. Even if I click on the 'sleepy' moodlet, they usually choose to head for the mat. (Or fall asleep where they are sitting) I'll see how the new mesh works and all.
Inventor
THANKS POST
#45 Old 2nd May 2017 at 11:15 PM
Arsil, thank you again for your efforts to make this mod even better!!! Thank you Icemunmun for the new mesh!! It is wonderful!!!!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#46 Old 2nd May 2017 at 11:41 PM
So cute!!! Thank you!
Test Subject
#47 Old 4th May 2017 at 12:57 AM
The mat works fine however, it shows up like this in my game. Does anyone know why?
Screenshots
Scholar
THANKS POST
#48 Old 5th May 2017 at 10:06 PM
Thank you for the update and the new mat by IceMunMun, it's so cute!
Top Secret Researcher
THANKS POST
#49 Old 6th May 2017 at 1:49 PM
This is so cute and useful! I used to abuse the floor mattress thing in Sims 2 so the trend can continue! And that tuck in option is perfect!! Love it!
Top Secret Researcher
THANKS POST
#50 Old 6th May 2017 at 2:25 PM
Thanks so much for the update Arsil and love the new mats IceMunMun has shared.
Page 2 of 5