Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Altered default NPC and townie names

by jordi Posted 12th Dec 2005 at 7:43 PM - Updated 10th Aug 2007 at 1:35 PM by jordi : instructions edited.

72 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 69 Feedback Posts, 2 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 3
Field Researcher
#26 Old 20th Feb 2006 at 12:11 PM
Default Thanks!!
This is such a great mod! I was so tired of trying to figure out which "Phoenix" or "Abjieet" any particular Sim spoke to while downtown. Soooo annoying!

Thanks bunches! :monkey:
Simjunkie99
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 1st Apr 2006 at 4:03 PM
I soooo need this! I'm wondering if this works with OFB though? I'll try testing it out and see what happens. ^_^

<33 A
Instructor
Original Poster
#28 Old 3rd Apr 2006 at 2:11 PM
OFB didn't change the name files at all, so this mod works without problems in any expansion pack. The only time the name lists changed was with EP1 (University), but it is backwards compatible with the original (unexpanded) game.
Test Subject
#29 Old 23rd Apr 2006 at 9:40 AM
what happens to special characters like Mrs. Crumplebottom and the vampires when you do deleteAllCharacters?
Instructor
Original Poster
#30 Old 23rd Apr 2006 at 12:23 PM
Real NPCs such as Mrs. Crumplebottom and the Grim Reaper are recreated the first time you load the neighbourhood or any lot.
Vampires are "special downtownies" and will be spawned by the game in the course of playing as part of the normal downtownie spawning process.
Service NPCs such as the maid are created as they are needed.
Test Subject
#31 Old 23rd Apr 2006 at 12:51 PM
Will the vamps be given names from this list?
Instructor
Original Poster
#32 Old 23rd Apr 2006 at 1:17 PM
Yes, prefixed with "count" or "countess".
Test Subject
#33 Old 12th Jun 2006 at 12:43 AM
Perfect. I once had a sim that married the adult Ivy Copur and their grandson, saw another Ivy Copur walk by and I was like "How did she suddenly be ressurected as ateen?"
Test Subject
#34 Old 16th Jun 2006 at 5:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by rickymouse
Perfect. I once had a sim that married the adult Ivy Copur and their grandson, saw another Ivy Copur walk by and I was like "How did she suddenly be ressurected as ateen?"

There are two Ivy Copurs. At least, there are in my game, and it's sounding like everyone has the same set of default townies. One Ivy is white and a teen, and the other one is black. I'm not sure if the black Ivy is a teen or an adult. I tend to avoid contact with townies, mostly because they don't age, but I've recently found a workaround to change that if necessary. (Marsha Bruenig is now a teen with wild-style hair and makeup, hehe!)

Anyway, I renamed my Live.package as townienames.package so I know what it is if I start having problems and need to find which download is causing trouble. I hope it works that way.

Vid the Kid
a.k.a. Bír'd'in
a.k.a. David "Smith"
My Sims 2 Page

Does this font make me look fat?
Instructor
Original Poster
#35 Old 16th Jun 2006 at 11:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Vid the Kid
Anyway, I renamed my Live.package as townienames.package so I know what it is if I start having problems and need to find which download is causing trouble. I hope it works that way.

Renamed it works for some, not for others.
Test Subject
#36 Old 27th Jul 2006 at 4:46 PM
This sounds like a great idea. I hate how some names keep repeating, so it's hard to remember which is the family friend to invite to the wedding, and which is the furious ex-fiancee. And what really drives me nuts is all the misspelled names. I know Sims don't really care about names, and they'd be just as happy if called Pigstick Fungusface, but I cringe for them when I see things like Aiden - the one thing Sims aren't supposed to be is illiterate.
Test Subject
#37 Old 16th Sep 2006 at 2:49 AM
Default New hood question
Hi Jordi

New hoods - what's the deal with deleteallchars - does it still leave dangling SWAFs? I also heard that the letterbox was now buggy for re-creating the hood characters.

I want to use your name list, but don't want even the original set of Maxis names. Is it safe to get rid of all Maxis characters then re-create them with new names, supposing that works?

cheers
witch

Kia Ora from Aotearoa
Instructor
Original Poster
#38 Old 24th Sep 2006 at 6:53 PM
Deleteallcharacters is still not fixed by Maxis, and since OFB the NPC/townie generator can't do batch runs anymore.
You can still use it to generate one townie at a time, or just let the game generate new townies (or downtownies, or dormies) on demand.

There are still ways to safely clean out a 'hood, but they require some SimPE experience.
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 28th Sep 2006 at 3:02 AM
Default Thanks!!
I've been looking for this and am grateful you've made it!
Instructor
Original Poster
#40 Old 12th Oct 2006 at 8:43 PM
Uploaded an updated version.

File size has been drastically decreased.
I have also removed some typos and female-style "male" first names (apologies to anyone who actually has such a first name!)

Lastname list for females was re-sorted to hopefully allow for even more difference in Sim names.

Download counter was at 3,115.
Instructor
#41 Old 15th Oct 2006 at 12:02 AM
I finally broke down and downloaded this, I am SO sick of all the Dagmars, etc. I like foreign names, but I can edit sims names for that. This is a good way to start. I'm moving all ym sims to a new neighborhood, re-creating it, and making all the townies with new default faces and names.
Sockpuppet
#42 Old 11th Nov 2006 at 1:16 PM
Thank you, jordi !

Now can you do an European version of it please ?
Instructor
Original Poster
#43 Old 12th Nov 2006 at 12:02 PM
Kabuto: if you can provide a name list with enough items, sure. At minimum about 150 first names for either gender, and about the same number of last names…

I have/had one for German names, but other countries either don't do demographics, or don't publish their results where I can find them.
Sockpuppet
#44 Old 12th Nov 2006 at 5:22 PM
Ok, I will find a list and I will submit it to you !
Instructor
Original Poster
#45 Old 5th Dec 2006 at 6:15 PM
Just an FYI, any future updates to this will go in this mod. I'm leaving this one up for those without Pets and those who don't want new Sim names, but do want new Pet names.
Instructor
Original Poster
#46 Old 10th Dec 2006 at 1:09 PM Last edited by jordi : 11th Dec 2006 at 10:33 AM.
moonluck @ MATY reported a problem with this mod,where the "about" text somehow ended up in the aspiration text field.
I can't see how this happened, but have changed the mod so this should now become even more impossible (about text has been removed).

Even if you did not encounter this problem yet, please redownload it (or the Pets version) just in case.
Test Subject
#47 Old 12th Dec 2006 at 1:34 AM
You R the greatest.................

Quote:
Never stop enjoying life
Forum Resident
#48 Old 30th Dec 2006 at 3:06 AM
Thanks!, very useful...

To all, of the very talented MTS-2 creative types - my sincere thanks for taking the time to create/upload/share...
Test Subject
#49 Old 16th Mar 2007 at 9:23 AM Last edited by sashimidragon : 16th Mar 2007 at 9:24 AM. Reason: typo
Okay, so did I miss something?

I deleted all the townies, and I reloaded the game, but they aren't regenerating. Is there something else I have to do? Or is there an easy way to create a whole new set of townies to replace them? That would be nice, because most of them were ugly in addition to having stupid names.

Hopefully you can help me. If not, thanks anyway for making such an awesome mod.
Instructor
Original Poster
#50 Old 16th Mar 2007 at 2:02 PM
Townies will regenerate at one lot load per time until the limit (~20 until OFB, ~30 as of Pets) is reached.

You can speed this up by enabling the testing cheats, and shift-clicking the mailbox. There should be an option there called *DBG - FORCE Create Townies (as of Pets, this is in the Neighbourhood submenu I believe). Select "Townies" again, and a full set of townies will be spawned. Save after it's complete and you have a full set again.

As of OFB and up, ignore the thumbnails it displays — it will show multiple identical twins, but the actual townies should look normal.
Page 2 of 3