Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Jan 2022 at 6:35 AM
Default Effects of Weather in FreeTime
I noticed that I hardly ever see effects from the weather in my game. Overheating of people characters never happens. I recall that when Seasons came out, my people would even burst into flames and often get the red heat overlay from doing common activities such as exercising or kissing. Rain and lightning do happen often. But there is never any snow. I've seen snow starting, my people got the reaction and memory of seeing it. But it stops soon. And I've never seen snow cover on the ground. It is enabled in my graphics settings.

I wonder if Weather has been accidentally or intentionally toned down in version 13.0.161? (I've ticked the boxes for Mansion & Apartments, but I don't play them because of compatibility.) Like they showed off the new content first, and then scaled it back.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 6th Jan 2022 at 7:10 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 6th Jan 2022 at 5:54 PM.
Since you mention compatibility, is it just that you don't have M&G and AL, and unticked it in the MTS settings for which games you have?

Have you maybe downloaded any mods to stop/reduce weather or seasons effects? That would be the first thing you should check. It's possible you have mods you're not fully aware of the effects of, if you've downloaded them a while ago. There's a few that reduce or stop temperature and weather effects.

If you have any aging mods that affect season length (or vice versa) making the seasons shorter, this could potentially also interfere with the seasons.

When you move in a new family, it can take a couple days for the weather to properly get going. Weather is seasonal, so you get more/less of some weather types in different seasons. Might want to check the seasons are set up the way you want them, too.

For snow, make sure you've enabled snow effects in the settings ("snow on ground" option, not the arrow/x-ray function) and that your computer is able to show the effects.

Bursting into flames is more likely to happen with hot tubs, because they're considered to be heated. I think that's the only time I've had a sim overheat to the point where they went up in flames (and I think I downloaded a mod to stop that from happening, because it's really annoying). The exercise bike can also be a cause of spontaneous combustion, beause sims don't get off it in time (you may need a mod to fix that issue, because it's not just a temperature problem). They usually get a sunburn only (?) when tanning, but can get a heatstroke if their temperature gets too high. If they overheat from other things, they tend to faint from heatstroke first, which is why you see the spontaneous combustion more often with the bike and hot tub, since they reach overheating before they react to it. Freezing takes a long time, and sims will have to first get the cold skin overlay, then after a while fall over frozen.

Lightning often seems to strike trees and objects more than it strikes sims. If you have OFB, there's an "evil kite" that sims can make (I think it's a "failed" version, it has evil eyes) - if they fly it, they'll get hit by lightning (not sure if rain is required). Sims in hot tubs also attract lightning during heavy rain/storms.

If you play with free will, sims often do things that control their temperature without you thinking about it. They go indoors, they take something to drink, they take a shower, they start a snowball/waterballoon fight, they dress in/out of outerwear, and other things that makes them warm or cool, so before they have time to spike, they drop down below critical.

The Seasons patch did make lightning a bit less deadly (according to the Wiki), and it is possible it did a few other changes to weather too.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 6th Jan 2022 at 1:59 PM
I have the ultimate collection and my sims pass out from the heat in the summer all the time. It was funny at first but I soon switched my hoods all to one season. Spring.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 6th Jan 2022 at 6:14 PM
I got really tired of my sims temp rising 2 minutes after getting in a hot tub. In my one hood there is only 2 summers and 2 springs (I live in Florida where it is only cold for 6 weeks in Jan and Feb.) I use the simblender to reset their temps. I have never seen a sims passout, let alone burst into flames. That might be cool, though. I need to check that out with some of the premades I don't like.
Theorist
#7 Old 6th Jan 2022 at 7:03 PM
I have the ultimate collection, and I usually have my neighbourhoods set to "Spring/Summer/Summer/Fall" (because I hate snow) and my do not Sims "pass out all the time" from heat. It happens on occasion, but really only if they spend too much time doing physical activities outside.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 6th Jan 2022 at 7:47 PM
There's a whole "chaos theory applies" element here. I get a lot of blue sims on the verge of freezing in Depression-Era Riverblossom, and I was constantly entering the lot to find people who were fine when I left on the verge of passing out in my Summer/Summer/Summer/Winter Strangetown, and as far as I could tell, it was because of things they did on lots where they were inactive - either hot tub sitting, bubble baths at parties, or just being out in the weather. Temperature effects act like relationships and aspiration, rather than like motives, and roll over from activity when the sims are uncontrollable. So your playstyle will affect how often you see them - short rotations, frequent community lot visits, and inviting sims over will give the sims more chances to make foolish weather-related choices and turn up on screen with a visible effect.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Forum Resident
#9 Old 6th Jan 2022 at 7:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Aspersim
It must whip up storms like crazy all the time in that hood if you set it to all Spring, does it storm quite often in that hood? Spring is the equivalent of the rainy season monsoons and stuff I think, but I could be wrong on that part

I have weather mods based on objects, mainly bushes and rocks and when placed can generate the kind of weather you want. A plant for clear skies, a shrub for rain and thunderstorms, rocks for light snow and hailstorms, I even have a fun one where it rains meteorites and molten lava down from the sky setting everything on fire and killing any sim that is unlucky enough to walk onto the lot.
I use clear skies for my home lots, light snow for ice skating and winter recreation, and rain for castles and haunted houses. So the weather is different on each lot depending on how I set it up.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 6th Jan 2022 at 8:51 PM
I thought the Seasons patch stopped the spontaneous combustion in hot tubs. After all it doesn't seem likely that you'd burst into flames when you sitting in a tub full of water, even if it is very warm! If it didn't fix it, it's even less likely that I'll ever get Seasons. I enjoy my game the way it is far too much for me to risk making changes like that.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 6th Jan 2022 at 8:58 PM
Unfortunately the patches always make it harder to die. :/ Personally, I enjoy the chaos. As it stands now, when I'm in an apartment, I'll see other Sims get heatstroke and even struck by lightning, but they never ever die from it. I hate that. I thought heat stroke in real life was a very serious thing, but not so in The Sims 2.

But on the upside, I did see a visiting townie get scared to death by a ghost. That was pretty funny.
Inventor
Original Poster
#12 Old 6th Jan 2022 at 10:02 PM
When I played Seasons, it didn't have any patch, so it is possible that heat was reduced back then. I have the standard 4 day season cycle in my neighborhood. It's worth a try to have two winters in a row!

No, I don't use mods that change weather, nor the reward object. I only have a thermometer that reads the temperature, and a mod that automatically applies outerwear when going through doors (in a slightly more intelligent way than originally). I think I've been spending most of the time under a roof. It's unintuitive to always find neutral temperature indoors in summer, and without paying for gas. It does get cold, but snow doesn't fall. Just recently a poor cheerleader invited herself to my lot, and kept doing homework outside the fence until she turned white. But the weather was a high pressure area without any precipitation.

Would the time spent on a lot continuously without closing the game or travelling to a community lot make a difference? I do enjoy time alone and escape to a commlot often.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 6th Jan 2022 at 10:41 PM
The patch stopped people from catching fire in hot tubs, but they should still have a chance of overheating to the point of passing out in the summer.

If I understand correctly, weather is randomized with the chances of any kind of weather affected by the season or possibly the day previous? So you'll sometimes get a late snow in spring, a spring effect in summer, etc. This would explain why I have so much overheating in a three-summer Strangetown and chilling in two-winter no-summer Riverblossom; the effects accumulate. In a four-season town I sometimes don't get deep snow until the last day of winter; but you should get snow accumulating on the ground someday or sometime. I suspect a mod conflict, but it'll be a bitch to test for given that weather is randomized and it's impossible to set up a point at which you know, for a fact, that snow ought to be accumulating.

Oh! I know. You have the batbox? Get a batbox, real name the ffs lotdebugger. http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...topic,72.0.html There's a "MOAR SNOW" option on that, which creates deep snow on a lot. And anything that conflicts with the batbox isn't worth having. Ignore all the scary verbiage - that's just Pescado's sense of humor. Don't click anything you don't understand and you'll be fine. If you put it on a lot and click on the batbox, one of the options that comes up should be Weather... and clicking that should get you the MOAR SNOW option. If you don't get snow, you know there's something wrong, and this should allow you to troubleshoot for a mod conflict.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Inventor
Original Poster
#14 Old 8th Jan 2022 at 3:27 AM
I got snow after invoking that command twice.

Sunburn and Overheat overlays are different. I believe you can only get sunburn on vacation, where I've never been, and couldn't have seen it. A long time ago I remember losing my portrait through overheating often, and then had to spend an hour at the mirror to get it back. (Yes, I know now you can refresh it with a lua.)

1. Sunburn: https://i.imgur.com/dvPB87L.jpg
2. Overheat: https://i.imgur.com/IFtjseq.jpg

I have a mini ice age with two winters now.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 8th Jan 2022 at 4:25 AM
^ Forgot there's a BV overlay (sunburn), too... If I remember correctly, it looks like the sim has worn a bikini or shorts in the sun for a little too long.

But yeah, there's a frozen and overheat overlay for Seasons that covers more of the body.

Not a big fan of the overlays, honestly - they used to slow down my game when applying or going away (either slow down or full stop for anything from a few seconds to several minutes, depending on which computer I used), and it annoyed me so much I modded out the temperature effects for sims to get rid of it.
Inventor
Original Poster
#16 Old 9th Jan 2022 at 8:29 AM
First natural snow in Pleasantview. Global warming has been mitigated.

Nina Caliente had five portions of elixir of life with 2,4-Dinitrophenol activated by woohoo this morning and can't be touched by cold.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 9th Jan 2022 at 10:18 AM
I usually have my neighborhoods set to Spring/Summer/Fall/Spring because I can't personally stand winter..but the effects of summer are pretty dire, so I've put in air conditioning into all the houses, especially one by Raynuss that allows pixels to directly cool off. Without it a lot of them would have passed out from heat stroke. Still have to take care when there's a hottub, because you know how pixels love to linger in there-usually they'll get overheated or sunburned and then go home if there's no air-conditioning.
I should actually have a 'cooling' station community lot for those who need it.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Inventor
Original Poster
#18 Old 14th Jan 2022 at 12:42 AM
Don't sims behave as if they implicitly had air conditioning (cooling) indoors? They start cooling off just by stepping inside; maybe not particularly quickly.

I still see snow disappearing from the ground for seemingly no reason, while the temperature remained strongly in the negative. In reality, sublimation of snow would be very slow and only melt above district heating lines.

Also it seems that on community lots temperature rises to 0 over time. The current seasonal conditions are set upon entering, but then it inevitably warms up.
Field Researcher
#19 Old 14th Jan 2022 at 12:52 AM
I got lucky with this house, but most of the time when my sims sleep upstairs in the summer, I need an air conditioner object or else they will overheat in their sleep (I think this can trigger the social worker if they're children). Rebuilding the roof doesn't seem to help.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 14th Jan 2022 at 1:41 AM
Quote:
"Don't sims behave as if they implicitly had air conditioning (cooling) indoors? They start cooling off just by stepping inside; maybe not particularly quickly."

Except the sunburned ones in danger of overheating and dying of heat stroke. In summer, there are those pixels who insist on sitting in the hottub in the 90 degree weather and get overheated, sunburned and pass out. First you have wake them up, cool them off and then bring them inside to keep cooling off. I've never had one die on me, but I wouldn't chance it. I don't even know if one can die of overheating...

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles