Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator
#26 Old 7th May 2015 at 6:44 PM
My sim went to Sing for Your Supper because he had the want to eat at the restaurant. Then, I noticed a wrongly-placed chair.
Screenshots

Catalogue of Custom Neighborhoods for TS2
All Hood Building Group neighborhoods are available here
Want to get rid of EA's sims in neighborhoods? Check out my Clean and Empty Steatlh Hoods and Clean and Empty Neighborhood Templates
My Simblr
Advertisement
Trainee Moderator
#27 Old 7th May 2015 at 7:22 PM
I'm sorry to double post but I found two issues on the Up-and-Down Club lot.

One chair needs to be moved next to the table.
Upstairs, the DJ booth needs to be moved. Because the DJ NPC can't use the booth.
Screenshots

Want to get rid of EA's sims in neighborhoods? Check out my Clean and Empty Steatlh Hoods and Clean and Empty Neighborhood Templates
My Simblr
Trainee Moderator
#28 Old 8th May 2015 at 8:41 PM Last edited by Jawusa : 8th May 2015 at 9:00 PM.
I know, triple post... I'm sorry.

Anyway, I visited all of the community lots and found some issues. Most of the community lots are OK, though.

Dive 'n' Dive: There are missing wallpapers. (See picture below)

CJ Peggey's: There aren't any issues but there are more than 3 cashier registers. I wouldn't place more than 3 cashier registers because the game generates a new NPC for each cashier register. But you can leave the lot as it is if you don't want to remove one of the cashier register.

The Game Room: There are no lights. A billiard table would be cool as well.

Silver's Gym: There aren't any issues but a barista bar would be cool. You know, just to raise the Energy need.

The Green Belt: There is a uneven road. Is this intended to be an uneven road?

1 Market Street: There's no cashier register. The sims can't buy the clothes.

Pool Hall: There are some barstools which are facing to the wrong side.

Weddings on The Green: Lovely lot but there's no toilet.

(The Corner Store: This lot itself is OK but in the name of the lot, there's a extra space between "Corner" and "Store"... ) --- not really a bug.

Spa (I can't remember the name of the lot): There are some missing floor tiles. (See pictures below)

Enclave Shopping Center: The fence blocks the cashier register. The sims can't buy groceries because of this.

Oh and most of the lots have blue tears/gaps on the edges. I believe it's because the neighborhood terrain is not completely flat. You can fix this by creating a new concrete neighborhood using the same SC4 file and flatten out certain areas using the "modifyNeighborhoodTerrain on" cheat. Then, you can use Mootilda's HoodReplace to copy the terrain over and replace it with Bigg City's current terrain and fix the lots' elevation as well. Then, all of the blue tears/gaps should be closed. If not, then the lot itself also needs to be flatten out. You can do this by using Mootilda's LotAdjuster.

My Simblr
Mad Poster
#29 Old 9th May 2015 at 12:34 PM Last edited by M.M.A.A. : 9th May 2015 at 1:32 PM.
I didn't realize how many lots there were until I actuall went around checking things here and there, so, bravo, Peni! Great work!

Now, what I first did was a "Structural check" and I found a few issues here and there. I've uploaded the pictures, and if you click on each of them, you'll find the issue written as part of the name of the pic. Some issues are not as serious as others, but I just thought I'd mention them just in case.

I'll have to move in a Sim to do a thorough routing check of the community lots later.
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 9th May 2015 at 2:20 PM
When I playtested and moved in a sim I did not see any problems in the house or the community lots I went to. I'll update when I play test again. So far very good!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#31 Old 9th May 2015 at 7:57 PM
Keep 'em coming. The plan is to make a bunch of updates this afternoon and, if I'm not too strung out from smoothing out the gaps, load it into my full game to test apartment conversions with Family Bin sims. I don't expect to have a corrected version ready for upload in the next few days, so just keep pounding away at what you've got and if there's duplicate notices at least they're less likely to get caught in the cracks. The wrinkly roads are my biggest concern, because they can screw up portals and trap sims on the lot. I'm not too surprised I left lights out a time or two - it looks like the Pool Hall could use a few more, too! That's the kind of thing that happens when you start getting anxious for feedback and start unconsciously hurrying.

I'm afraid the holes in the downstairs under the hot tubs at The Tap Room are an inevitable consequence of having hot tubs upstairs. Moving them would involve a major redesign, and in the version of Widespot that has the smaller first draft of Bigg City attached it hasn't caused a problem. If the consensus is that it'll be a problem for a lot of people, though, I can do a major redesign. I'm telling you, the city looks great from that upstairs hot tub deck, though!

I've never used the Change Neighborhood Terrain cheat or the Hood Replacer before, so, wish me luck.

For future reference, would it have been easier, or involved fewer gaps, if I'd used the button that levels the entire lot? I have an impression that it's not a good idea to use that, but I can't remember where the impression comes from.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#32 Old 9th May 2015 at 8:26 PM Last edited by M.M.A.A. : 9th May 2015 at 8:45 PM.
Peni, I don't think you need a "major redesign". I think the simplest thing to do is cover the hot-tubs from the top, expanding the roof over them. That should cover the areas that are non-weather proof underneath the tubs.

The in-game button that levels the whole lot doesn't level the edges of the lot, only the tiles within the lot, so the edges will remain as they are, it's just the tiles that will be leveled. You'll have to use the LotAdjustor for that, I believe. I noticed certain lots even had uneven roads as well, not sure how that affects car movements. :/

A simple method to make sure that a lot is completely flat is to first place the lot on the non-level terrain, then remove it, and you'll notice the ground automatically flattens out. Then place a new lot over the same area.

Also, before starting a major project like this, to make sure that all lots are leveled next to each other, use the Terrain cheat to level the ground at all the areas near the roads, that will make sure that they're all flat as well.

And, good luck with the whatever tools you're using!
Trainee Moderator
#33 Old 10th May 2015 at 9:25 AM
Don't worry about the gaps, Peni. It's easy to fix them.

Even EA is not perfect with this. If you haven't noticed yet, the Grunt house in Strangetown also has a blue gap on the lot edge.

Anyway, I wish you good luck!

My Simblr
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#34 Old 11th May 2015 at 6:11 PM
I tried the ModifyNeighborhoodTerrain cheat, and it doesn't take. When I looked it up in the cheat FAQ, I found it's a Freetime cheat. I'll need something that works with Nightlife and below. (At least I should be able to do some site engineering in Drama Acres.)

I guess I'll try flattening the edges of every single lot with the Lot Adjuster. See if that helps.

The big houses on Domestic Drive take about 15 minutes to transform into crappy duplexes! Probably less now I know what does and doesn't fit in the dirt around the perimeter that the landlord calls a "yard" (with airquotes). Take out one arch, place two apartment doors, build one kitchen which can just be eye-droppered over, plop a chess board and a grill outside, and it's good to go. And the best part is, not one bedroom shares a wall with the other apartment! They're still a bit more expensive than I'd hoped - a little over a thousand dollars - but I bet the right grungy custom content would fix that.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Trainee Moderator
#35 Old 11th May 2015 at 8:04 PM
Peni, you can edit the neighborhood in your full game and copy the neighborhood terrain using Moo's HoodReplace. It won't require the EPs. The HoodReplace does not copy the EP requirement over. Just create a new neighborhood in your full game using the same SC4 file on a concrete terrain and flatten out the areas where the lots are. After you're done, you can quit your game and use HoodReplace to copy the terrain over. Trust me, Bigg City will still be Uni/NL only.

As for the apartment lots, you could also upload them in the download page comments. For those who have AL can download the AL version of the lots and replace the lots themselves.

My Simblr
Trainee Moderator
#36 Old 12th May 2015 at 10:24 PM
I found some issues on 8 The Enclave lot.

The sims can't use the bath tub upstairs. (See picture 1)

The pathway at the front is not complete. (See picture 2)

And this lot also has an uneven road. The carpools are all there but it would look better if the road would be flat.
You can use Mootilda's LotAdjuster to make the roads flat.
Screenshots

My Simblr
Scholar
#37 Old 13th May 2015 at 11:59 AM
Remember how I said I would playtest it over the weekend? Health crap happened

Hopefully tonight. I'll be playtesting it with a younger version of a family I'm thinking of putting into Widespot.

My CC creations, updated April 21, 2015.

My Simblr
Scholar
#38 Old 14th May 2015 at 6:55 AM
I took a night off of work and need to stay off of my feet, so I've started playtesting

First off, the new houses are excellent. The color schemes in the low-rent sections are wonderfully tacky, though I'm surprised you didn't make use of the stained/peeling wallpapers (the floral and the beachy keen) that came with Uni? Those could be used in place of the sheetrock/bare wood in some of the houses. I also like the addition of the little 9000~ simoleon shacks, especially the little green gnome out front of one of them! And the symmetry of some of the larger houses in the working-class section give the impression of having been duplexes or apartments once upon a time. (Maybe you could give one two kitchens for that added effect? Or just some tile in the corresponding area? Some CC knocked-down walls/wall holes could complete the look in a played game!)

I love Bar Soon, with its oh-so-fitting space theme! I know this sounds really stupid, but the way you did the bathroom was a great touch: the lack of stalls and the urinal give it a sort of "boy's club" feel to it. Garden club lady Allyn walked into the bathroom, took one look at it, and walked swiftly out. I don't blame her! I doubt that toilet's ever been cleaned. (I really like all the mismatched seating in both it and the converted house lot, too!)

The library is a sucess! Not only were sims able to check out periodicals, kids were able to be read to by their parents! I love it.

Even though I was trying to go in alphabetical order, I couldn't resist a trip to the Seedy Bowl. It's even skeevier than before, and that missing lane definitely has a story to it... as does the lack of panelling behind the other lanes (and the photo booth). I also like the missing tiles nearby, as well as the mismatched tiles in the bar. This place makes me want to figure out how to make a deco tv with only static on the screen! It's a shame that the stained carpet from one of the Stories games isn't available in the catalogue; a few applications of that would help sell the permanently sticky floor. My only suggestion is to add a jukebox. Y'know, one that can be turned up loud when the situation warrents it.

The Cherry Bowl is nice and colorful, and the presence of the swingset in the back give it a wholesome feel. It screams "This is a family establishment!" ... much like Crumplebottom would -- minus the purse-beating punctuation -- if this were still a downtown.

I'll root around some moar in it later :D

My Simblr
Trainee Moderator
#39 Old 16th May 2015 at 10:08 PM
Peni, were you able to fix the blue gaps?
I think, you'll have to use Mootilda's LotAdjuster as well to fix the blue gaps on uneven roads.

My Simblr
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#40 Old 16th May 2015 at 11:15 PM
I think I've got them all fixed now. Or mostly fixed. I had already used Lot Adjuster to flatten all the edges, then used the modify hood terrain cheat and the hood replacer, then went into each lot and smoothed things out. One or two of them seem to have a little thread of a gap I can't get rid of, but it's so small it could be an optical illusion.

Never, ever again do I do this without flattening the buildable areas first!

Trainee Moderator
#41 Old 17th May 2015 at 6:57 AM
I think, you can completely fix the gaps if you select a lot and place it back in the neighborhood without changing its location.

My Simblr
Scholar
#42 Old 17th May 2015 at 1:29 PM
Some moar community lot testings:

The outside wedding chapel was a hit: it quickly became a site of much boot-catching and Shelby Barrett's piano apocalypse:

The DJ at the Up&Down Club can't reach their booth:

And as for the Wreck Center? (Love the name!) :

And, just because, here's Allyn's "Nope. Nope nope nope." assessment of the Bar Soon bathroom:

My Simblr
Mad Poster
#43 Old 17th May 2015 at 2:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
I think I've got them all fixed now. Or mostly fixed. I had already used Lot Adjuster to flatten all the edges, then used the modify hood terrain cheat and the hood replacer, then went into each lot and smoothed things out. One or two of them seem to have a little thread of a gap I can't get rid of, but it's so small it could be an optical illusion.

Never, ever again do I do this without flattening the buildable areas first!

This was the main problem with Riverside and is why I had to redo the hood.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Trainee Moderator
#44 Old 17th May 2015 at 4:54 PM Last edited by Jawusa : 17th May 2015 at 9:30 PM.
I can't remember the name of the lot but there's an extra floor tile on the pink starter lot, near The Enclave... Hillford Street?

Anyway, I like the most expensive house in this neighborhood. (8 The Enclave) My sim is an elder now but fortunately she can afford the house. She has kids so the kids can inherit that lot.
I'm just wondering, is "8 The Enclave" Pearl's house?
Screenshots

My Simblr
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#45 Old 18th May 2015 at 3:15 AM
Pearl Diver? No, Pearl will start out as a ghost. #8 is intended to be the home of the Bigg family: Max III (Treys) and Bertha, their children Mayor Max IV and Ivy and Max's wife Delia; and the youngest generation, Quinten (Max V), Chance, and Fanny. (I think Fanny should hate her parents, don't you?) The original Max and his wife Minnie, and the second gen, Max Jr. and LIl, will all be ghosts at San Simeon Chapel. Ideally. This is like the anti-Widespot - absurdly big and complicated! That's one reason it's taking so long. I'm really pushing my comfort zone here.

You encourage me greatly. I've been afraid that #8 would playtest badly and I'd have to start over with the Ostentatious Palace of Conspicuous Consumption.

I don't know why I didn't think of putting a juke box in the seedy bowl! And you're right, Aega - there is no way so much flooring has gone unscathed and/or replaced in kind at the Wreck Center! If I want it to look wrecked I have to patch some stuff.

Quick poll: Should I put toilets on Stage Fright? When I built it I was thinking it was the ideal place for portapotties or that toilet bush, but I can't put either of them in with this combination, so I just left them out. But I could put up a wall along the rear property line with a urinal and a cheap toilet, and look about as seedy...

Trainee Moderator
#46 Old 18th May 2015 at 11:25 AM
I can't remember her surname. I've seen her when I extracted the sims. But yes, I meant her. The one who does have sagging cheeks. I love her unique face.

Anyway, there's no need to rebuild 8 The Enclave. There are some issues on this lot but they are all fixable. (See post #36 of this thread) I noticed that the school bus can't leave the lot because of the uneven road. The school bus disappears from the lot after a while but I think all of the other carpools are OK.

My sim had to sell 5 businesses (all level 10) in order to move in there. One of her businesses was the Stage Fright venue. The first thing I did after purchasing that lot was to put an electrono-ticket-machine. But after a while, the customers had bladder failures and complained about their own pee. That's why I placed toilets and sinks there...

In my opinion, there should be toilets (at least one toilet). Then, the sims can stay a bit longer there without having bladder failures.

My Simblr
Scholar
#47 Old 18th May 2015 at 11:34 AM
I don't think you should add a bathroom for the as-shipped Stage Fright: the presence of punch means a continual flow of tippers as sims leave to, um, flow elsewhere. Players can add outhouses or port-o-johns as they want.

And Fanny definitely needs to hate her parents. That name's just plain bad

(Also, Jawusa, how were you able to extract sims from the original Bigg City downtown? I tried and Bad Things happened.)

My Simblr
Trainee Moderator
#48 Old 18th May 2015 at 6:31 PM
There's a trick, even though SimPE can't read the sims in the neighborhood. But the sim descriptions are all blank then. But I could use SimSurgery to extract the sims. Then, I cloned the sims in BodyShop and uploaded the cloned sims.

Peni, do you still need the cloned sims? I'll remove the file if you don't need them anymore.

My Simblr
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#49 Old 18th May 2015 at 9:56 PM
I have them safe, thank you very much! I figure I will probably have much better descriptions the second time around anyway. I wish I'd made notes on their personalities, but since they're ghosts and will have no direct part in the story it won't matter much. I really did want to keep some of those faces though - I'd never be able to replicate Pearl in a million years.

Straight-up tie on the restrooms; I hope someone comes along with a tie-breaker!

Field Researcher
#50 Old 19th May 2015 at 5:20 PM
Hi Peni, playtesting Bigg City with some of my Patience Island clones sounds like something I'd like to do - is there an upcoming new version of the hood I should wait for, or should I download the one already on this thread?

♫Cuz I don't have a home in this life, I have to roam. Got nowhere to lay my head, so I'll follow you instead, and set my gaze on the place I'm going to. Til then I'm homeless, but I'll roam with you...♫

My Simblr: http://natteryaktoad.tumblr.com
Page 2 of 9