Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th May 2008 at 7:20 PM
Default Roads in Sims 3
Something that has always annoyed me in Sims 2, is that you can't place roads in the game itself. No maxis hood is shaped on a way that I like it, and when downloading hoods it's also rare to find one that is exactly like I want it.

Do you think that Sims 3 will give the ability to place (and remove) roads within the game and maybe even choose what textures the road has (concrete and gobble for example)

It would give players more freedom in creating a little town
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 30th May 2008 at 7:47 PM
I would like it more if we could build the roads as we go. I hate starting with a couple of houses and see all those empty roads around, or decide halfway throught he neighbourhood decoration that it woul have been better to have a road in a certain spot. Most annoying when it happens and there's nothing you can do about it. Also, it would be much easier to shape the neighbourhood any way we want to. And different textures for different roads inside the same neighbourhood is something I've been wanting for a long time.
Test Subject
#3 Old 30th May 2008 at 8:04 PM
Oh, I would be SO happy if we could place the roads wherever and make them ourselves! I always get so mad when I have an empty spot in my neighborhoods and I want to put more houses there and such. And definitely different textures! And being able to decide if cars can drive or not (though there's probably already a hack for that but I don't like using hacks, so...)
Scholar
#4 Old 30th May 2008 at 8:37 PM
I don't think you will be able to place them. Maxis have already said that you can't choose where the houses are going to go.

I'm supporting the Optimist Camp for the Sims 4.

Test Subject
#5 Old 30th May 2008 at 10:55 PM
i'd like to be able to paint the roads, like some parts of the city could have cobble stone and other parts with dirt. etc etc

^_Q
Forum Resident
#6 Old 30th May 2008 at 11:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Figgi
Maxis have already said that you can't choose where the houses are going to go.

Have they really said that? Oh my god that sucks! I thought they wanted us to be totally free with everything, not limit our creativity by locking lots to certain sizes and locations.
Scholar
#7 Old 31st May 2008 at 1:02 PM
Yeah I know it really sucks! Sims2 limited you more than Sims1 (in some respects) and of course, now Sims3 is limiting us more than Sims2. Maxis always follow the same pattern.

Forum Resident
#8 Old 31st May 2008 at 9:06 PM
I can understand why they might not let us make neighborhoods of our own at first in the game, since it has to be done in such a way that allows sims to go anywhere and such, but locking houses and community lots into places just sucks. Could at least give a selection of possible placements, surely?
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 1st Jun 2008 at 8:12 AM
IMO the lack of freedom of placing houses is one of the three big problems with TS3

-No need bars

-Can't build neighbourhoods/place houses

-Families play by themselves

I think that it will most likely turn out ok though, I mean EAxis are trying to make a better game, and if they think it helps.... I guess I will wait until it comes out and see how it all works. But the ability to place roads would be a MIRACLE!
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 1st Jun 2008 at 11:03 AM
I don't think you will be able to place them. Maxis have already said that you can't choose where the houses are going to go.

What? When did they say that? Is that something they actually said, or something you are assuming from something else they said?

That goes against them saying they would be releasing tools so we can build out own neighborhoods.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 2nd Jun 2008 at 8:35 PM

I have read all the Sims 3 articles that I found have never read that we could not choose where the houses are going to go. Are you sure about this? It just seems rather silly for them to do this. I understand about limitations but this is different. We have always been able to place homes in different spots, even in Sims 1.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 3rd Jun 2008 at 1:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by frankie
I have read all the Sims 3 articles that I found have never read that we could not choose where the houses are going to go. Are you sure about this? It just seems rather silly for them to do this. I understand about limitations but this is different. We have always been able to place homes in different spots, even in Sims 1.

I've read all the articles available too. I think some are assuming if we can't build our own neighborhoods it follows that we can't build houses. If that's their assumption, I understand their thinking, but I think it's a bad assumption in light of what else EA has said.

Here's what the Sims 3 site says about building houses.

New Unlimited Customization - Everyone can customize everything!
Build your dream house or design the ultimate home. Customize everything from floors to flowers, shirts to sofas, wallpaper to window shades. It’s fun and easy to change colors and patterns giving you endless personalization options. Or you can populate your Sims’ neighborhood with pre-designed buildings and furnishings. Which of your Sims will live in high-end mansions, cool bachelor pads, ultimate dream homes or low-cost cottage?
Mad Poster
#13 Old 5th Jun 2008 at 3:15 AM
Yes, so with that being stated, it would only make sense to place lots anywhere. I don't see why they can't. It's one of those things that make no sense if not.
Scholar
#14 Old 6th Jun 2008 at 11:20 AM
Actually they have said that you won't be able to pick where the roads are, if you looked into it a little.

Quote: Originally posted by Will Galen
I just read this at Snooty sims;

http://www.snootysims.com/thesims3i...hp?id=interview

This answer is from Sims 3 producer Lindsay Pearson.

Q]Will The Sims 3 contain multiple Nhoods?

A]No, there's only 1 Nhood, but then it's extremely large - More then 90 houses, each inhabited by a Simfamily. But you can save the Nhood into different slots so that you can create multiple storylines.Probably later, we will make tools available so you can create your own Nhood, but at release, your stuck with just one Nhood.

So obviously, if they're saying that there are going to be 90 houses they must be in set places (or at least the lots will be anyway) so you won't be able to build roads.

Also, there are (apparently) not going to be many loading screens. I don't know much about computers but I'm guessing that it will be pretty hard to make a seamless neigbhourhood if you didn't put the houses/lots/roads in set places to begin with.

Lab Assistant
#15 Old 6th Jun 2008 at 8:28 PM
we can get custom roads in ts2, so why can't we do this in sims 3???

as for placing, it sounds plausible to me, but maybe after we will be able to make new hoods
Mad Poster
#16 Old 7th Jun 2008 at 7:33 PM
Well, whatever the case may be, I will be highly upset if we cannot place lots anywhere like we already can in Sims 2. That would be stupid! Plus, what about pre-made homes in the lot bin? I want some in Sims 3.