Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Mar 2008 at 8:41 AM
Default Who's afraid of the big bad world?
There's something that's been confusing me ever since I saw the new pictures and the advance previews of the sims 3.
All the previews have done as they usually do, concentrate on one person and his family - but that leaves a question unanswered.

If you load up the entire neighbourhood, not individual houses, how easy is it to play multiple people? Multiple families!
If Mr Sim is all the way over town shopping for ingrediants and poor Mrs Sim is left at home can you control both at once? If the action back home DOESN't stop do you honestly trust Mrs sim to actually be able to take care of herself. OK it's no longer needs oriented but if she's going to attempt to 'follow her dreams' don't you want to make sure she's following the ones you want her to?

And what about Mr and Mrs Jones over the road, can you control them too? What happens to them while you're distracted with Mr and Mrs Sim (and the darling simlet )

What do other people think? Or can anyone reassure me here, because at the moment I AM scared of the big bad world...
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 20th Mar 2008 at 9:05 AM
I think it's like that when you've entered a house you can only control this house. I think it is like TS2 without loading times. I'm more scared of the addiction this game will cause (maybe it will be the next World of Warcraft???).
#3 Old 20th Mar 2008 at 9:20 AM
I thought Sims 2 beat WoW long time ago...
Instructor
#4 Old 20th Mar 2008 at 9:33 AM
Who's Scared Of The Big Bad World??

ME.

♣. Call Me Janne .♣
Looking for staff for a new sim magazine (based in S Korea)
Tweet Tumblr Coming Soon
Field Researcher
#5 Old 20th Mar 2008 at 10:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Emina

Not when it comes to being addicted. And now I'm saying ADDICTED (like drugs and alcohol). TS2 may be more popular and have more players worldwide and a lot more who buy the game than WOW but WOW has far more addicted players who have a really serious problem.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 20th Mar 2008 at 10:27 AM
Lol, I'm not scared! Can't wait to check it out! I wouldn't mind if sims took care of some of their needs and aspirations while I am not playing them because I like to see what they've been upto while I was away.
Test Subject
#7 Old 20th Mar 2008 at 11:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by The_Oceanborn
Not when it comes to being addicted. And now I'm saying ADDICTED (like drugs and alcohol). TS2 may be more popular and have more players worldwide and a lot more who buy the game than WOW but WOW has far more addicted players who have a really serious problem.

not to mention that WOW is the one used as an example of people being addicted to gaming. AS if it was the only game out there...

This thread is what i am worried about as well, I like knowing I have full control over the sims I am playing. I would hate to be out shopping with Mr. Smith and come home to find that mrs. Smith burned the house down. As the sims in both Ts1 and Ts2 are guilty of.
Instructor
#8 Old 20th Mar 2008 at 1:30 PM
I think that's where these moodlet/buff/debuff things and generally, the whole new needs/motives system will come in handy.

When Mr. Sim is across town buying ingredients and you're distracted by him, you'll be prompted with a moodlet that Mrs. Sim is hungry - which you can then address (and quickly zoom back into the household, if you wish to make sure things are ok). Or if she needs to pee, again, you'll be prompted. Or if there's an accident, she'll feel upset, you'll be alerted about it. Same would apply when you're at home with Mrs. Sim, and Mr. Sim is meeting new people at the park.

I'm not too worried about controlling a family that's spread out all over town right now, but I guess I can see where you're coming from - it could end up quite hectic.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 20th Mar 2008 at 1:50 PM
I'm afraid of it! I am far too addicted to control! D:
Scholar
#10 Old 20th Mar 2008 at 5:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by andru
I think that's where these moodlet/buff/debuff things and generally, the whole new needs/motives system will come in handy.

When Mr. Sim is across town buying ingredients and you're distracted by him, you'll be prompted with a moodlet that Mrs. Sim is hungry - which you can then address (and quickly zoom back into the household, if you wish to make sure things are ok). Or if she needs to pee, again, you'll be prompted. Or if there's an accident, she'll feel upset, you'll be alerted about it. Same would apply when you're at home with Mrs. Sim, and Mr. Sim is meeting new people at the park.

Bloody hell, that would annoy me. Imagine if you had a family of sims, and every minute you'd have to keep going back to the house because Junior wants to pee, or that Mrs Sim is hungry! It would take hours for poor old Mr. Sim to do the shopping.
Instructor
#11 Old 20th Mar 2008 at 5:48 PM

You're saying that like it's a good thing...???

I doubt it'll ever come to that w/ the sims. Most of us are regular people with social lives who don't feel compelled to spend 48hrs straight in a dingy basement staring at a computer screen b/c we maintain regular contact w/the outside world. As addicting as the sims can be, sims players in general just have more of a life.

Quote: Originally posted by Ferret II
Bloody hell, that would annoy me. Imagine if you had a family of sims, and every minute you'd have to keep going back to the house because Junior wants to pee, or that Mrs Sim is hungry! It would take hours for poor old Mr. Sim to do the shopping.

But they do say that sims will be more capable of taking care of themselves. So I'm sure if sims are idle with nothing queued up to do and they're hungry, they will now feed themselves as opposed to whining at you w/ their arms flailing about in the air.
#12 Old 20th Mar 2008 at 6:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Emina

it didn't beat it in sales

actually i'm scared about lag but, i'm soon gonna buy a new machine, but the game will be released early 2009(rumors) when my new PC will be average compared to the more high-end PCs(very probable)... but it's still early 2008... shouldn't care about the future now 0.0

about the seamless hood, i'm not afraid of it, but also not too fond of it... only if the AI proves to be smart(like a random chance of an AI controlled sim to cheat on my sim, or something alike)... i don't like to have my sims controlled by a poor AI(habbit like stupid townies)... also, i'l study the Spore AI when it comes out to have a better view about the sims 3 AI
for ppl who don't know, AI=artifficial inteligence
Field Researcher
#13 Old 20th Mar 2008 at 9:56 PM
You're saying that like it's a good thing...???

No. I am saying it as a bad thing. I am scared of the eventual addiction the game will bring. Not for me (because I have too much of a life) but maybe for others. The "more life" thing is also only a present time thing. The game will maybe attract new gamers who will become addicted. You cannot look away from that. And to say that most simmers are normal people with a life, do you know all simmers? Maybe the ones here at the forums. There are thousands of game addicted teens in the world. I am sure there are some who are addicted to The Sims too. If a game becomes more and more complicated it may be much easier to become addicted. Especially for young people.
Forum Resident
#14 Old 21st Mar 2008 at 12:08 AM
I don't think you give most people enough credit. The vast majority of people in the world do not get addicted to games, even ones they love. Some people do, of course, but they really are the teensiest minority. And people can become addicted to anything - you can't take everything out of the world.
Test Subject
#15 Old 21st Mar 2008 at 6:07 AM
I can't wait for the big bad world - The only downside I can see is that I would spend the majority of my time looking around and seeing what my families have been up to, rather than actually playing. To me this is the feature I'm looking forward to the most.

Also, how long have people been nagging to be able to visit other sims at home? I think this alone will be enough to keep a lot of people happy.

I wonder if we'll be able to actually drive cars around the hood?
#16 Old 21st Mar 2008 at 1:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tzigone
I don't think you give most people enough credit. The vast majority of people in the world do not get addicted to games, even ones they love. Some people do, of course, but they really are the teensiest minority. And people can become addicted to anything - you can't take everything out of the world.

the thing you said here reminds me of maplestory...

well, i can't say that they are addictions witch affect you in a positive way... even cleaning addiction, it's very annoying to others T.T(make 2 showers per day wtf?)

oh, and about the sims addiction, if sims 3 will be really that good as we hear, we might see the first death because of sims(well, 2-3 ppl have died because of WoW...)
#17 Old 21st Mar 2008 at 8:17 PM
How does Death by Sims happen?
#18 Old 21st Mar 2008 at 9:00 PM
Field Researcher
#19 Old 21st Mar 2008 at 11:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Shard
I would hate to be out shopping with Mr. Smith and come home to find that mrs. Smith burned the house down. As the sims in both Ts1 and Ts2 are guilty of.

If we MUST leave the Sims we are not currently controlling all by themselves, they are better be FAR more intelligent than they are now, and with much more "neutral" actions (that wouldn't lead to romance or long term memories that could mess the life you might had planned for them). Not to mention they are better also study, learn skills and do useful stuff, or we could play some time in a family and then, when going to play another, find out they are still the dumb, poor and unorganized little fellows you left, but with a bunch of simultaneous love affairs, enemies and burned furniture (perhaps the entire house will be on fire, omg guess I'll be going from one family to the other all the time just to be sure...). :disagree:

BTW, I have been seriously addicted to some games, to the point of missing school (when I was still in high school) and even stopping to eat because I had to use my hands to play. But, when such thing happens, it only lasts about two weeks or so, then I have some good months before getting addicted again to any game. It's... groovy.
Scholar
#20 Old 22nd Mar 2008 at 4:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ChaoticNeutral

BTW, I have been seriously addicted to some games, to the point of missing school (when I was still in high school) and even stopping to eat because I had to use my hands to play. But, when such thing happens, it only lasts about two weeks or so, then I have some good months before getting addicted again to any game. It's... groovy.

Oh dear Lord. You need help! :screwy:
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 25th Mar 2008 at 3:07 AM
I'm -definitely- concerned about the whole seamless neighborhood thing. I'm not entirely sure I would find that enjoyable. But we also don't know a whole lot about the game right now so I don't want to make a big pronouncement about how great or awful it will be before seeing a little more. I will say I'm nervous about it, though. I can see the game becoming quite limiting if you had to control all your families at the same time. Nightmare! I'm hoping that even though the neighborhood is seamless you don't have to control all the families at once.
Field Researcher
#22 Old 28th Mar 2008 at 12:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Faithlove13xxx
My addiction to TS2 in it's peak far surpassed WOW.

I can't even get my STUPID swift land mount in WOW and I'm level 62. *pouts*

I never actually tried WOW. I'm scared of it. We had so many WOW addicts at my school and I'm sure there are Sims addicts too. I've heard that they exist. A survey done here in Norway showed that 20% of youths were addicted to PC gaming.
But are there any Ludo addicts in the world?
Test Subject
#23 Old 25th Jun 2008 at 10:47 AM
I think it's like that when you've entered a house you can only control this house. I think it is like TS2 without loading times. I'm more scared of the addiction this game will cause (maybe it will be the next World of Warcraft???).

LOL! yeah .........