Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Apr 2020 at 5:46 PM
Default Problems with Into the Future expansion...
So I just installed into the future expansion pack and broke my game lol...I'm dumb and put too many mods in my game but now I'm wondering if it wasn't just the expansion because I was googling my problem and found others had posted about getting stuck in an action when expecting the time portal...Anyways, my question is, is it normal when you click on the time portal and choose 'travel to the future' action, to not be able to delete the action from your queue? Like I mentioned, I ruined a saved game because after installing this expansion, it messed my save up probably because I had conflicting mods. The only thing I had that I wanted to save really was a decorated apartment building that was already in the game so I just copied that to the library and put it in a new game. So now I'm testing to make sure everything is working properly, since I took all the mods out and am on a new game but I see that the game is not letting me cancel the action of 'travel to future' if sim has that in their queue. Anyways, if this is normal can someone please let me know?
Advertisement
Undead Molten Llama
#3 Old 12th Apr 2020 at 10:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MissRobison
So now I'm testing to make sure everything is working properly, since I took all the mods out and am on a new game but I see that the game is not letting me cancel the action of 'travel to future' if sim has that in their queue. Anyways, if this is normal can someone please let me know?

If it's still doing it after you've removed all mods (and, I assume, cleared caches), then it doesn't seem like a mod conflict to me. If you didn't clear your caches, though, try that first. (In your Sims 3 folder in Documents, delete any files that have "Cache" in the file name. There should be five of them. They'll regenerate the next time you start the game. If you change your mods without deleting the one called scriptcache, in particular, things can be really messed up.) But assuming that's NOT the problem...

What ought to happen is, the first time you use the portal in a new save, the only option available on the thing, IIRC, is to "Inspect" the portal. When you do that, you ought to get the Time Traveler popping out of the thing and giving you the "Almanac of Time" and then a little opportunity chain to follow to make the portal available for traveling to the future. Did that scenario happen? If not, something's messed up somewhere. If you did go through that scenario and it's subsequent attempts to travel to the future that's a problem, then that's probably a different thing. So...more info?

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th Apr 2020 at 3:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
If it's still doing it after you've removed all mods (and, I assume, cleared caches), then it doesn't seem like a mod conflict to me. If you didn't clear your caches, though, try that first. (In your Sims 3 folder in Documents, delete any files that have "Cache" in the file name. There should be five of them. They'll regenerate the next time you start the game. If you change your mods without deleting the one called scriptcache, in particular, things can be really messed up.) But assuming that's NOT the problem...

What ought to happen is, the first time you use the portal in a new save, the only option available on the thing, IIRC, is to "Inspect" the portal. When you do that, you ought to get the Time Traveler popping out of the thing and giving you the "Almanac of Time" and then a little opportunity chain to follow to make the portal available for traveling to the future. Did that scenario happen? If not, something's messed up somewhere. If you did go through that scenario and it's subsequent attempts to travel to the future that's a problem, then that's probably a different thing. So...more info?

This is exactly what I did. I was playing in Bridgeport, the highrise apartment with the vampire and three girls, that was already in the game. I'm just now playing the sims 3 really. I've ordered all the expansions and just waiting for them to come day by day lol. Anyways, so for right now, I just have been messing around in CAS and seeing what all comes in the games as I get them and so I decided to just play that one apartment that I mentioned (and when I say play, I mean spend all night decorating the apartment to my liking until it's now 5am and I have to go to bed lol). At this point I had a bunch of mods from this site and the nraas mods. I tried to be careful and not have ones installed that would conflict. The majority were just scripting mods so I thought nothing too terrible would happen and if something did happen, I thought I'd just take the mod out....oh no...and up until this point, all I had done was browse through CAS, maybe make a sim or two and I did happen to play an already made family in maybe the main neighborhood, or riverview and not have any issues but I don't think I had that many mods in my folder at that point....So back to now. After i finish decorating that apartment, I start playing and I have into the future installed and the portal arrives in the game and I make vampire sim go check it out. Well the time travel guy is there and vampire dude gets there and then he seems to get stuck in an action with time travel guy and I can't click the action away. After a while though I guess the time travel guy gives him some knowledge book because I can now discuss this with him but if you were supposed to get a challenge or something as you mentioned, then this never happened here. I go to time travel through the portal and then my game is just stuck in the loading screen. So now I know I have issues with the mods because there's no way that should have happened. I wait and wait and nothing and my computer is brand new and lightning fast. After this, it's just a downward spiral into chaos. I go back into game try and get my guy to time travel again and still stuck on loading screen. After I this I take out the mods and delete caches. Go back to game....this seemed to make it worst. Still no time travel and whenever I made any of the sims from that lot try and interact with the portal the action would just go away. So at this point I'm sad and freaking out 'cause I've just spent all this time decorating this apartment so beautifully and still can't play the damn game! So I put the nraas mod back in folder and reset town. The save game is basically screwed at this point. Even after resetting, still getting stuck in action with time travel guy, and evidentaly not getting any challenge that you mentioned, not being able to save, having to end task from program manager etc etc. So after calming down I realize I can just save the lot to library without the family since that's all I care about anyways. So I take all mods out of my folder. There are no mods at all in folder besides a few cc for CAS and some mod for placing objects in places they won't go without mod. I have started a new save game in bridgeport, evicted the same family i was playing in the corrupt savegame, deleted the apartment and placed the copy I had decorated and saved to library from corrupt savegame. Everything seems to be working normally. I'm able to save just fine and time travel just fine. However, the first time the portal appears in the game and I make vampire guy go check it out, he seems to be stuck in action with time travel guy and I cannot click it away and make him do something else but after a while, they both snap out of it and I can travel through the portal. This would be the time, according to you, when I should have gotten some dialogue and a challenge but I did not get this. The only other strange thing happening is, the reason for this post, I make one of the girl roommates travel through the portal just to make sure the actions sticks and doesn't disappear and it does but it would not let me cancel the action. If this is not normal, then I have no idea what to do. Like I said there are no absolutely no mods in my folder that alter the game and I have deleted caches and am playing from a new savegame. The only thing I can think of is A) it's normal and maybe a glitch or B) copying the apartment from the bad save has somehow glitched my new save game but idk. Anyways, just feeling frustrated lol. Thanks for helping.
Undead Molten Llama
#6 Old 16th Apr 2020 at 2:44 AM
If you're not getting the scenario that truly opens the portal for time traveling, that's probably the root of the issue that you're having. I can't imagine that it would have anything to do with a lot, even if the lot is corrupted. But to test that, you could start a new save, open up any other household, wait for the portal to arrive and then try to travel. What ought to happen is:

You have a Sim "Inspect" the portal
The Time Traveler comes out of the portal, talks to your Sim, and gives you the "Almanac of Time." This adds that item to the inventory of every Sim in town, not just the "inspector." This item is not in the regular inventory menu, but there should be an icon for it next to the icon for your Sims' cellphones.
After that, a scenario should be triggered where you have to collect five power cells for the time portal. They'll have been spread around outside on the lot you're playing. You collect them and give them to the Time Traveler.
The Time Traveler spends a little time repairing the portal and when he's done, he jumps back in it and goes on his way. Once he's gone, you can then use the portal to send any Sim (not just the "inspector) to the future.
Once you send a Sim through the portal the first time, the Time Traveler should greet him/her on "the other side" and then offer you the first of another chain of opportunities. He gives you a free jetpack (which goes into your inventory in the usual place, and you get to keep it) and instructs you to use it to fly around. The purpose of this opportunity chain is to introduce you to the new things you can do in the future. Following that chain is optional, but they should be offered to you when playing the first Sim you send through the portal in any save.

If all of that isn't happening and you are absolutely certain you have no mods at all and have properly cleared your caches, then I'm lead to believe that there's something wrong with your install of Into the Future. I'm assuming you're running through Origin because it sounds like you've bought disks. I'm pretty sure that any disks you buy these days will have to be registered in Origin and your game subsequently run through that using patch 1.69. If this is the case, try repairing your game in Origin.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Alchemist
#7 Old 16th Apr 2020 at 4:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MissRobison
At this point I had a bunch of mods from this site and the nraas mods.

I wouldn't dare to travel anywhere in Sims 3 without having Nraas Traveller mod in place. It fixes so many travel problems. You probably have that already but if not, you could try it.