Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Jun 2020 at 11:04 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Extended roof eave causing porch roof not to render flush with second floor wall
Hi all, can anyone help me with a glitch/build mode problem? Wonder if there's a solution because it'd be a real shame if there's not at least one possible fix. I've built this lovely craftsman style home, very faithful to the real-life example and I'm really pleased with it. Just like the real example home, there is a design feature where there's a very large eave that overextends the walls of the second floor. I will attach images to show my problem. Below I want to add a porch roof over the columns, but the roof does not render flush with the wall because of the overhanging eaves that extend by one tile. This is a characteristic that really gives the house some character like the real example. I don't want to remove it. I'm so close to building the house fully, it's just the silly porch roof. grrr... The roof renders just fine when I click and drag it which makes it all the more frustrating. The porch roof renders fine in the neighbourhood though, so it could be a decoration piece, but I really would like the house to be functional because it looks so nice...

Any help is greatly appreciated, see the attached images below:

Screenshots
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 16th Jun 2020 at 11:21 AM
I don’t think there’s a way around this, I’ve had the same problem. The game just hides roof areas when that part is covered by a higher roof. Unless someone else has some suggestions?

My new downloads are on my Pillowfort
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Jun 2020 at 11:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by aelflaed
I don’t think there’s a way around this, I’ve had the same problem. The game just hides roof areas when that part is covered by a higher roof. Unless someone else has some suggestions?

I wanna cry lolll
Forum Resident
#4 Old 16th Jun 2020 at 11:47 AM
I think you could try putting roof deco over that part. I feel like I've seen "roof pieces" as deco out there. I don't have any links though, but Google is your friend!
Alchemist
#5 Old 17th Jun 2020 at 2:56 AM
In the past, I have been able to ignore such gappy rooves - it you don't look at the gap from above, it often isn't very visible. Or, as vegan_kaktus says, you may be able to find some deco pieces to hide it.

You could put a halfwall at the open ends, and make it match the roof or the house walls so there isn't actually a hole from the side. That's the biggest barrier I see to just ignoring the gap.

You could also make the roof of the verandah out of floor tiles - it won't be sloped like a real roof, but it also won't have a hole in it. Depends what looks best to you.

Hope that is some help!

Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 17th Jun 2020 at 12:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aelflaed
In the past, I have been able to ignore such gappy rooves - it you don't look at the gap from above, it often isn't very visible. Or, as vegan_kaktus says, you may be able to find some deco pieces to hide it.

You could put a halfwall at the open ends, and make it match the roof or the house walls so there isn't actually a hole from the side. That's the biggest barrier I see to just ignoring the gap.

You could also make the roof of the verandah out of floor tiles - it won't be sloped like a real roof, but it also won't have a hole in it. Depends what looks best to you.

Hope that is some help!

I was thinking someone could literally just make a deco piece/object out of the actual roof. Would that be possible?
Alchemist
#7 Old 19th Jun 2020 at 11:45 AM
I expect it would be possible, but I’m no mesher, so can’t help you with that.

Alchemist
#8 Old 19th Jun 2020 at 4:28 PM
This might be silly/unhelpful, but the other day in some thread we were talking about building covered porches like in a Maxis farmhouse and basically, the trick was you build the roof first, then the do the walls of the second floor. The inner roof walls get deleted when you build a roof. Did you try that already, @zeddman123? Also, you may need to do a full wrap around porch and extend the porch another tile or two on the other side of the house.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#9 Old 19th Jun 2020 at 6:06 PM
The reason is because you have added floor tiles on the square roof atop to make it overhang farther and the game interprets that as part of the interior, so it cuts out the roof.  If you build the roof just the same size as the room and use the smaller overhanging roof, the lower roofs do not cut out.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 21st Jun 2020 at 11:00 PM
Generally, I think at this point, I'd make a balcony and call it a day.