Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#201 Old 18th Oct 2019 at 1:21 AM
Damn, I was about to use the subway station track pieces that come with the world when I noticed the scaling is all wrong. Common issue in video games, it seems, but the gauge of train tracks is always a lot wider than in real life. Can't use them now in my subway station because it looks disproportionate. Like the model, dislike the scaling. I'm from a railway background so it's something I notice easily and usually can't really ignore.

Edit: Thank you Wikipedia
Quote:
The vast majority of rapid transit systems use 1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) standard gauge.

In the game it's at least a full meter wider which could probably look okay from some angles, but not the one I need to view these track pieces at. Sims are North American and would almost certainly use a Western standard for something like this and before you ask, yes, I really do spend that much time nitpicking everything I do in my game. Just wait till you find out about how I feel about microwaves, newspapers or the weather.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#202 Old 18th Oct 2019 at 2:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AGuyCalledPi
IJust wait till you find out about how I feel about microwaves, newspapers or the weather.

So what's wrong with microwaves in TS3? Must-know question here lol
Mad Poster
#203 Old 18th Oct 2019 at 3:43 AM Last edited by AGuyCalledPi : 18th Oct 2019 at 4:10 AM.
Well for one, none of them look like actual microwaves that normal people have inside their houses. Between TS3's 11 expansion packs and 9 stuff packs you get 5 microwaves, 4 of which have some sort of themed design thing going on that no one asked for. And number 5 is the ultra-cheap plastic piece of garbage you know from every crappy break room ever.

For an actually decent-looking microwave, like the ones that came with TS2 by default, you'll have to use CC. I'm pretty sure I collected some real life examples while looking for interior design ideas both 80s and contemporary, and all of them look considerably better than what TS3 expects you to use. Even the supposedly crappy ones.

.....but ultimately I'm knowledgeable about trains, not microwaves or the weather. So that's what I'll have my issues with first.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Forum Resident
#204 Old 19th Oct 2019 at 9:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AGuyCalledPi
Well for one, none of them look like actual microwaves that normal people have inside their houses. Between TS3's 11 expansion packs and 9 stuff packs you get 5 microwaves, 4 of which have some sort of themed design thing going on that no one asked for. And number 5 is the ultra-cheap plastic piece of garbage you know from every crappy break room ever.

For an actually decent-looking microwave, like the ones that came with TS2 by default, you'll have to use CC. I'm pretty sure I collected some real life examples while looking for interior design ideas both 80s and contemporary, and all of them look considerably better than what TS3 expects you to use. Even the supposedly crappy ones.

.....but ultimately I'm knowledgeable about trains, not microwaves or the weather. So that's what I'll have my issues with first.

I really hate how you can't have microwaves that are built into the cabinets or what have you.
Mad Poster
#205 Old 20th Oct 2019 at 11:03 AM
I am installing this again and when go back home if I still have my old save anywhere will see if I have the building I did at lot 529.
Mad Poster
#206 Old 20th Oct 2019 at 5:45 PM
Some updates:

Police station:

Gentlemen's Club:

Laundromat:
Mad Poster
#207 Old 20th Oct 2019 at 6:02 PM Last edited by AGuyCalledPi : 20th Oct 2019 at 6:43 PM.
Very very handsome lots. Considerably better than what I would've settled for, had they been my own creations. Especially love the detailing on them, I see there's a lot of clever details in the wallpapers and that's just the sort of thing I personally get a kick out of. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the dirty wallpaper set from WA is probably the best in the entire franchise. And the police station, that's just art. It takes skill and experience to make a box-shaped building look that good.

Makes me wonder if I have anything I could throw into Boroughsburg and have it work as some sort of coherent style. I've gotten a hell of a lot of practice at facades over the past year and a bit.

insert signature here
Theorist
#208 Old 20th Oct 2019 at 8:20 PM
Those first two are very nice indeed.
Will be so much fun to be explore there...

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Scholar
#209 Old 20th Oct 2019 at 8:40 PM
Yes, I admire your skills on exteriors very much.
Question though, why is the billboard text backwards?

Wren-der Simblr // Sim Art // Pictures // Downloads // Random Nonsensical Rambling
Site Helper
#210 Old 21st Oct 2019 at 12:04 AM
Maybe because turning normal script backwards mimics Simlish? (Seriously: print out a screenshot of something in EA Simlish, then hold it up to a mirror and squint a little.)

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Mad Poster
#211 Old 21st Oct 2019 at 2:35 AM
Great lots! Hope they are on the site for us to download to add to the world.
Scholar
#212 Old 21st Oct 2019 at 4:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
Maybe because turning normal script backwards mimics Simlish? (Seriously: print out a screenshot of something in EA Simlish, then hold it up to a mirror and squint a little.)

Kinda, I guess. I use a lot of simlish fonts for posters and wall art in the game and while you could say each letter itself looks reversed, sorta, the word structure and sentence structure isn't. I just found in distracting for some reason.

Wren-der Simblr // Sim Art // Pictures // Downloads // Random Nonsensical Rambling
Mad Poster
#213 Old 21st Oct 2019 at 7:39 AM
What is nice is that the billboard is included and if we want to use it we can and if not we can delete it.
Mad Poster
#214 Old 21st Oct 2019 at 2:24 PM
Wonder how easy it is to get rid of those. I certainly don't want any backwards English in my game - either it's proper normal English, or it's full Simlish.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#215 Old 27th Nov 2019 at 2:27 PM
Getting close to a finished build, here's the current lot map- thanks again to all who built in the world.

Currently looking for some people to help finish lots in the yellow circled areas! Please let me know, and I'll add you to the Discord page for further discussion!

Forum Resident
#216 Old 27th Nov 2019 at 8:02 PM
Wow that police station is gorgeous !

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
InnaLisa Pose Archive
Test Subject
#217 Old 27th Nov 2019 at 10:09 PM
hi, this issome building that I made for Boroughsburg. the world itself is in Brooklyn, but these that i made is based in some buildings the exist in manhattan. I tried to create with only the game content, like the host from this world cause I super like the way he builds, but in a way, I kind used some CC just to give that Arts&Crafts look that many NYC buildings have from the late 19th century. anyway, I hope you enjoy and check my other works if you like.

https://talesgh.tumblr.com/post/189...ing-that-i-made
https://talesgh.tumblr.com/post/189..._related_post=1

Top Secret Researcher
#218 Old 27th Nov 2019 at 11:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lakme
I really hate how you can't have microwaves that are built into the cabinets or what have you.

Here's a couple built in microwaves, although not extremely pretty. (no offense)

https://www.thesimsresource.com/dow...-in/id/1187096/

https://thesimsresource.com/artists...V4xiyukgOrgz.32
Mad Poster
#219 Old 28th Nov 2019 at 4:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by taleshilaricki
hi, this issome building that I made for Boroughsburg. the world itself is in Brooklyn, but these that i made is based in some buildings the exist in manhattan. I tried to create with only the game content, like the host from this world cause I super like the way he builds, but in a way, I kind used some CC just to give that Arts&Crafts look that many NYC buildings have from the late 19th century. anyway, I hope you enjoy and check my other works if you like.

Those lots look wonderful- but unfortunately those lots are already filled!

If you can message me on Tumblr, I'll add you to the Discord page so that we can talk about what other lots could use those sorts of buildings!

Quote: Originally posted by KatyFernlily
Here's a couple built in microwaves, although not extremely pretty. (no offense)

https://www.thesimsresource.com/dow...-in/id/1187096/

https://thesimsresource.com/artists...V4xiyukgOrgz.32

Are they usable or just deco? I wonder if there's just a way to vertically offset the default microwave; the animations would probably be a bit warped, but that's just a small price to pay IMO.
Top Secret Researcher
#220 Old 28th Nov 2019 at 7:10 PM
They are usable!

I love this one but it's decor only - http://modthesims.info/d/519533/abo...-microwave.html
Test Subject
#221 Old 1st Dec 2019 at 10:28 PM
I can't see the moving train and the bridge traffic, any help please? Thank you.
Mad Poster
#222 Old 2nd Dec 2019 at 2:48 AM
For the train you will need World Adventures, bridge traffic requires Advanced Rendering to be enabled.
Test Subject
#223 Old 2nd Dec 2019 at 11:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
For the train you will need World Adventures, bridge traffic requires Advanced Rendering to be enabled.

Ok, resolved. I enabled Advanced Rendering and I could see the traffic. I already had World Adventures and couldn't see the train, the solution was to toggle Visual Effects to the middle. Thank you.
Mad Poster
#224 Old 2nd Dec 2019 at 12:45 PM
Definitely don't run this on lower settings. You'll get all sorts of issues at different points in the game if you do.

insert signature here
Instructor
#225 Old 2nd Dec 2019 at 6:29 PM
May I ask if you work on any new world, jje1000? Or at least do you have a plan for a new world in your mind?
Page 9 of 13