Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Oct 2019 at 12:10 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Sims 2 freezes and laptop shuts down
Hi everyone, I have problem. First, sorry for my bad english, I hope you can understand what i mean. I'm a huge sims 2 lover and plays it since the very beginning. Years ago we bought a compaq laptop and i played the sims 2 on it for many years (I have all the expansion packs and several stuff packs). 3 years ago that laptop crashed and we had to buy a newer one with windows 10. Unfortunately i couldn't play the sims 2 on it with the expansions because of the directX error and even when I downloaded something for that issue, it was very laggy and it flickered the whole time. It was not relaxing to play the game with that flickering. So i decided to buy the same old compaq laptop to play sims 2. It worked but when I play the game my game sometimes lags and then my screen goes back to my home screen and then goes back to the game. That's not a big problem, but after a while my game freezes and then my laptop have to shut down because i can't do anything. Even ctrl alt del doesnt work. It is so annoying because I miss the times where I could play for hours and nothing would happen.

Can someone please please help me. you would be my hero!!! <3
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 30th Oct 2019 at 1:26 PM
Sounds like a hardware problem in that its getting to hot and shutting down on you.

Sims 2 can and will burn up laptops that are not set up for gaming.

Compac's are not design to play very heavy graphic games on.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Nov 2019 at 8:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by marka93
Sounds like a hardware problem in that its getting to hot and shutting down on you.

Sims 2 can and will burn up laptops that are not set up for gaming.

Compac's are not design to play very heavy graphic games on.

Thanks for your answer. What do you advice me?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 6th Nov 2019 at 9:14 AM
See if you can buy a second-hand desktop, prefrably with windows 7. Use that for simming and your laptop for other things.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 6th Nov 2019 at 10:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
See if you can buy a second-hand desktop, prefrably with windows 7. Use that for simming and your laptop for other things.

And which one should i buy? I’m not good with these things. And I don’t want to make the same fault. (And also not too expansive)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 6th Nov 2019 at 1:17 PM
If it's a desktop with Win 7 it should be okay. Make sure to ask how much RAM and what graphic card it has. Laptops are the harder ones to buy as they often come with no proper graphic cards.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#7 Old 6th Nov 2019 at 6:14 PM
A quite good used machines are in 250-300 $ range, also laptops. Many of them will have dGPU alongside iGPU, most will have Broadwell CPUs at best.

There's also possibility that the laptop in question (the dead one) may be revived by sparing a few bucks for:
- reviewing internals (especially screen cable, in many cheaper models (or not cheap at all, hello MacBook!) they're not very hard to break;
- cleaning all the mess which accumulated through the years inside (I mean: all, the fan is obvious but after a few years in average laptop you have usually the whole internal Universe full of fantastic beasts of every kind)
- reapplying the thermal paste, reviewing in properlt mounting loose cables, or other internals, also checking the state of power supply and the battery (even if it;s not used sometimes it has to be connected and having working security chip).

Local computer technician should be at last able to diagnose device for free or some spare change if not restore it to the working condition in a few hours.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Staff - Moderator
staff: moderator
#8 Old 6th Nov 2019 at 7:22 PM
You might also get a cooling pad to place a laptop on to decrease heat.