Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Jul 2020 at 8:28 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Micromanaging apartment residency using simPE
Hi! So given my situation, apartment residency mods for townies/NPCs simply don’t work. Basically they get populated by vacation townies and NPCs, or for some reason, despite having “townie apartment residents” mods, new townies get generated to populate the apartments (not sure why, have a lot of mods, don’t wanna find out lol).

Having said all this, since I don’t have tons of townies, is it possible to micromanage apartment residencies using simPE? Just choose which townies and downtownies to put in empty units?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 11th Jul 2020 at 5:02 AM
It's possible that you might've put a random townies as neighbors hack in along with a no townie neighbors hack at the same time or just gotten glitched downloads.I use the no townie neighbors one myself and don't use that other option because I like putting my own sims into apartments and haven't had the ransom townies work out very well in apartments because they always ended up brawling in the hallways.You'll have to find out why those aren't working and track down the conflicts to solve the issue.I'd start with checking that one to generate random townies isn't in there with that townie neighbor disabling one and if that's the case remove the random townies one and keep the no townie neighbors one in and test to see if that works.I've only got no townie neighbors and it works because other apartments remain empty unless I move my own families into them.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Jul 2020 at 6:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TadOlson
It's possible that you might've put a random townies as neighbors hack in along with a no townie neighbors hack at the same time or just gotten glitched downloads.I use the no townie neighbors one myself and don't use that other option because I like putting my own sims into apartments and haven't had the ransom townies work out very well in apartments because they always ended up brawling in the hallways.You'll have to find out why those aren't working and track down the conflicts to solve the issue.I'd start with checking that one to generate random townies isn't in there with that townie neighbor disabling one and if that's the case remove the random townies one and keep the no townie neighbors one in and test to see if that works.I've only got no townie neighbors and it works because other apartments remain empty unless I move my own families into them.

The issue is that I *want* townies to move into my apartments, just townies I’ve created, not the ones from vacation neighborhoods, or college dormies, etc. My question is if it’s possible to directly assign townies to apartment units using simPE.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 11th Jul 2020 at 10:18 AM
Sim Blender.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th Jul 2020 at 6:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pianogrinder
Sim Blender.

Sim Blender doesn’t do that though? Lol.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 11th Jul 2020 at 7:15 PM
I used to want townies in my apartments and it's actually possible to move in playable townies and have those ones living in my apartments with that no random townies Mod which only stops random NPCs from being moved in and startin gfights with each other.I had to make that tough choice once in the past and chose to remove random NPCs being moved into apartments and just create my own townies and move them in as playable households.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 11th Jul 2020 at 9:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TadOlson
I used to want townies in my apartments and it's actually possible to move in playable townies and have those ones living in my apartments with that no random townies Mod which only stops random NPCs from being moved in and startin gfights with each other.I had to make that tough choice once in the past and chose to remove random NPCs being moved into apartments and just create my own townies and move them in as playable households.

The issue is that having only playable sims occupy apartments restricts me to having apartments that have only 4 units. Having non-playable townies is actually part of my gameplay (I don’t wanna play dozens of families, but I also don’t want my town to be sparsely populated, this is how I do it). For now I keep my apartments empty, but I really want to just assign specific townies to apartments. The mods that are available simply don’t work, so I just wanna assign townies to apartments using simPE. Because the data for which townie lives in which apartments seems to be stored somewhere and is possibly accessible using SimPE.
Alchemist
#8 Old 11th Jul 2020 at 11:58 PM
@Mercaptan, from the little you describe, I'm thinking you have a mod conflict, too. Vacation townies shouldn't ever be picked for apartment neighbors, unless the game was trying to avoid spawning more sims at all. So tell us a bit more about what's going on. Which mods exactly have you been trying out? List them and maybe we can see if you're using duplicate mods that are trying to do the same thing. The npc part sounds correct, if you installed a mod that lets you have npc and townies as neighbors. In fact, all of the behaviors you describe can be correct mod behavior--depending on what mod you're using. So tell us which mods you're experimenting with, and we might be able to better help you.

Also, since the mods are causing problems, I would suggest trying them in a new, completely empty hood. Just the essential mods you need to test that everything is working. If townies move in like they're supposed to in that clean cc set up, then you know you have a conflict and will need to do a 50/50 to figure out why it's not working in your main folder.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 12th Jul 2020 at 5:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Phantomknight
@Mercaptan, from the little you describe, I'm thinking you have a mod conflict, too. Vacation townies shouldn't ever be picked for apartment neighbors, unless the game was trying to avoid spawning more sims at all. So tell us a bit more about what's going on. Which mods exactly have you been trying out? List them and maybe we can see if you're using duplicate mods that are trying to do the same thing. The npc part sounds correct, if you installed a mod that lets you have npc and townies as neighbors. In fact, all of the behaviors you describe can be correct mod behavior--depending on what mod you're using. So tell us which mods you're experimenting with, and we might be able to better help you.

Also, since the mods are causing problems, I would suggest trying them in a new, completely empty hood. Just the essential mods you need to test that everything is working. If townies move in like they're supposed to in that clean cc set up, then you know you have a conflict and will need to do a 50/50 to figure out why it's not working in your main folder.

Right now I'm only using the "No Townie Apartment Resident " mod now (because no neighbors is better than spawned ones. Before that, I was running CJ's "Townie Apaprtment Residents mod, which, I just checked again, and it simply doesn't work. New townies get generated.

I downloaded Delphy's Download Organizer , because I'm a mess, and the mods that I have currently are these (the list is long, but I'm not smar enough to know which ones could be relevant so, sorry):

1. Monique's hacked computer
2. WooHoo.package : Don't know what it is, I assume related to ACR? (I have ACR, will be listed below)
3. Sleep in your own bed
4. Squinge's selectable NPC mod
5. This Vampire Mod
6. Spectral cat variety
7. This midgethetree Spell Mod
8. vampire bats turn into sentrybots for servos and plantsims to fairies
9. plantsims chnage hair
10. pick your wand/broom
11. ask before promotion (just the first one)
12. watch tv from all angles
13. smart-light-nl
14. no death type loss
15. simsky's faster university mod
16. numenor's sleep on community lots
17. no unlink on deleting tombstones or urns
18. university careers LTW
19. Marriage Post Mortum mod. Allows for the spouse relationships to show up on the family tree after death. Apparently it can be found here , though one has to dig.
20. creature fixes
21. Gaining skills on community lots, found here (comm-skilling or whatever)
22. bug collection fix
23. Park Cars in community lots
24. Community time
25. notownieregen, nossrespwan, nodormieregen, CJ's townie apartment residents, antiredundancy
26. townie memory preservation
27. Chris Hatch's "visit other sims" mod
28. multip PT
29. ACR
30. more easels
31. Marvine's spiral staircase animation

I've also included the full file list for mods in some captures
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#10 Old 12th Jul 2020 at 5:39 AM
That no townie neighbors is exactly the Mod I started using to get rid of the NPC townies and I just move in playables if I want neighbors and havine vacant apartments is realistic because the building might be new and not many have moved in or apartments come availble becuase a tenant moves out.
@Mercaptan -That no townies Mod you linked to is confirmed to be working 100% for me and it fixes the issues of getting NPCs moving in and starting to behave badly towards each other like fighting in hallways.I had that happen a few too many times and put that Mod in to stop it from ever happening again.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 12th Jul 2020 at 6:06 AM
You haven't listed any mods that pertain to how apartment neighbors are chosen, aside from the one that disables them entirely, so no one can tell you anything. We're not psychic and able to tell what set of mods you were using before that you think wasn't working.

Also, there's no file called "Woohoo.package" in ACR. I have no idea what that is.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 12th Jul 2020 at 6:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
You haven't listed any mods that pertain to how apartment neighbors are chosen, aside from the one that disables them entirely, so no one can tell you anything. We're not psychic and able to tell what set of mods you were using before that you think wasn't working.

Also, there's no file called "Woohoo.package" in ACR. I have no idea what that is.

I mean, I listed all the mods that I was using. What I was using, as it pertains to apartment residencies, was “townie apartment residents” by CJ. Once that failed, I started using no townie apartment residents.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 12th Jul 2020 at 6:49 AM
That one works fine, I use it myself. Are you sure you weren't using any other apartment resident mods?
Alchemist
#14 Old 12th Jul 2020 at 8:47 AM
@Mercaptan, I agree with Kestrellyn; ACR's files are all labeled ACR, so that's not related to it. I'd open it up in SimPE and try to figure out what it is. Next, run the Hack Conflict Detection Utility to see if there's something you missed conflicting with CJ's mod. (If you don't already have the HCDU, Paladin's archive is available here: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87829/ thanks to Bulbizarre. You can find the Hack Conflict Detection Utility under programs.)

Because you're using CJ's mod, I will ask you to check if you also installed Smarter EP Check, which is often required for CJ's mods. It can't hurt to put it in if you don't already have it installed. And again, I'll recommend that you try the mod in a clean set up. (If you don't already know, you can rename your TS2 folder to something like "Regular" and start the game; the game will generate a new folder and you can use that to test your mods. You can switch back to the old one at anytime by renaming it back to "The Sims 2" and renaming the test folder or deleting it. I use "Reg" and "Tester" myself. Also, if you have the Ultimate Collection, I believe you need to make sure the "TM" part is there when you switch back.)

If the mod still doesn't work for you in a clean install, then we know it's the mod. If it does work, you can try CJ's mod in your regular folder again and change the load order (renaming CJ's file or folder so that it loads first or last) and see if that helps. Or you can try a different mod.

Some things to keep in mind:
1. Make sure that when you're testing CJ's Townie Apartment Residents, you have removed Nysha's No Townie Neighbours.
2. Consider how many apartments you've set up. It's unlikely that you've set up so many apartments that the game has used all of the townie pool, but I suppose it is possible, so I'm mentioning it. If townies have already moved in elsewhere (or you have none), then yes, the game will generate some, even with mods installed, because it needs them to populate the apartment. Which leads me to...
3.Make sure you're not confusing townie groups. Again, unlikely that you are doing so, but just in case, townies are the sims generated with the main hood and are not the same as downtownies (non-playables associated with downtown), bluewater townies (non playables associated with your shopping district), or dormies (non-playable YAs associated with university hoods) or AL's socialite townies. So if you don't have any townies, or don't have enough townies, then yes, I would assume that CJ's mod would generate sims for you to move in, rather than using any other existing group. Because the mod is replacing AL socialites with the main hood townies. I don't believe CJ's mod allows for any other group to be used, either.

So, basically what I'm trying to say is that if you've created a clean custom hood with no, or very little townies, for example, the game might need to generate more to fill your apartments, depending on how many units your lots have. Also, the game will not reuse sims if there's a playable household occupying the apartment. So if you only have 6 townies, but two 8-unit apartment lots, when you move a household into the second apartment lot, the game would need to generate more townies to fill up the extra units because the townies you do have were already assigned to live in the first apartment when you moved a household in there.

Finally, you can try other mods (remember to take out both CJ's and Nysha's first); sometimes some mods do stop working or don't work for some people. There's More Random Apartment Neighbours by Piqiwi and Apartment Residents Mod by MidgeTheTree. You should be able to configure Midge's mod to get the exact groups you want, if you can't get CJ's mod working.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Scholar
#15 Old 12th Jul 2020 at 11:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mercaptan
is it possible to micromanage apartment residencies using simPE? Just choose which townies and downtownies to put in empty units?

Probably not, once an apartment resident has been chosen they are set by a pair of tokens, one token on the apartment base lot holds which sims belong in which apartment and one on the sim to set that this sim has been assigned to an apartment at this building. You would need to be able to add/remove or alter both tokens to be able to change the resident.