Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#176 Old 24th Feb 2012 at 3:52 PM
Thanks Zokugai

Well, have started a family in AP. All went well until the babies, she had twins. One she can interact with fine, the other the actions drop out of the queue and the only work around is to reset the baby. I'd removed all mods except master controller, overwatch and error trap. I really can't see it being any of those but will remove those and see what happens. Im clearing my caches all the time too. Oh, and there is a problem where she can't use the cell phone, no menu appears.

Im going to keep trying and see if I can put up with the issues as im really enjoying the challenge otherwise and I want to see it through to the end.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#177 Old 24th Feb 2012 at 4:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by wolfsbayne
Thanks Zokugai

Well, have started a family in AP. All went well until the babies, she had twins. One she can interact with fine, the other the actions drop out of the queue and the only work around is to reset the baby. I'd removed all mods except master controller, overwatch and error trap. I really can't see it being any of those but will remove those and see what happens. Im clearing my caches all the time too. Oh, and there is a problem where she can't use the cell phone, no menu appears.

Im going to keep trying and see if I can put up with the issues as im really enjoying the challenge otherwise and I want to see it through to the end.

I had issues in Horsehead Island like this as well. I couldn't interact with the first 2 babies born in any other way than to have a sim 'Hold' Once they picked them up then I could have them feed or change the diaper whatever. I deleted the crib and bought a new one but it still acted up, so I reset the baby and that seemed to fix it. Then the next baby was born and it started again. I'm not at all sure why this was a problem there was plenty of room around the crib and I've never had a problem with babies before. The only CC I have is some hair files, I suppose one of them could cause issues, but I have trouble seeing the connection between a hair file and a baby glitch, you would think it would create a visual glitch and not a game glitch, but I know very little about how CC and the game react together and most often avoid third party CC. I just can't help but have pretty hair for my sims

Mathews Random Legacy (current Legacy)
Lab Assistant
#178 Old 24th Feb 2012 at 4:31 PM Last edited by wolfsbayne : 24th Feb 2012 at 5:36 PM.
I never had this problem with horse head island but every game ive played since then ive had the problem. Can installed worlds cause problems with other worlds? I don't have any CC installed (had some safe ones but have since deleted and still same problem) and im sure it isn't twallens mods. hmm. Will try uninstalling all user worlds and see what happens I guess.

Edit: It looks like it might have caused by a dodgy world, have played for a few minutes since uninstalling them and it seems fine again.

yay! back to the challenge.

Edit - now the game keeps crashing to desktop! Dodgy cc means game doesnt crash but can't play properly. Remove dodgy cc and game plays fine until it cuts out to desktop!

Honestly, I give up!
Test Subject
#179 Old 24th Feb 2012 at 6:49 PM Last edited by mirheart : 24th Feb 2012 at 9:50 PM. Reason: Additional Info added to previous post
@wolfsbayne - Have you already tried enabling DEP (Data Prevention Execution)? A lot of windows users have had to do that since Pets and the Pets patch.

Edit: Wanted to add you could also try the Crash Log Analyzer found here: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=416883
Test Subject
#180 Old 24th Feb 2012 at 7:37 PM Last edited by simbody872 : 24th Feb 2012 at 7:53 PM.
My daughters PC doesn't have any CC (well other than EA store stuff and a handful of worlds) and was working just fine until two weeks ago. Then it would CTD soon after starting a game live. I spent a few hours messing with it yesterday. Since I had already applied the file to DEP I couldn't figure out why the darn thing would still crash. Nothing new had been added to the game in quite a while so I'm wondering if it was a new windows update the caused the problems. DEP had already been applied long ago and the problem seemd to come from no where.

Unfortunately I'm not exactly sure what finally fixed it as the last time I did 2 things. Reset the DEP nx value and rebuilt a new document folder free of all saves and installed worlds. After it played for a sim day (rather than 3 seconds before crashing) and windows didn't shut it down because of DEP I reapplied the file to DEP but haven't tried the game to see if it would work with the old document folder. She's grounded from the computer for being disruptive in class, it's kind of a three strikes your out. She is in 4th grade and has a crush, unfortunately 3 weeks ago the teacher unknowingly moved them both into the same group of 4 desks and she sits right across from him. The face to face is too much for them to resit talking instead of working I'm not at all looking forward to high school, this is like boyfriend number 10 in 3 years!

Oops rambling. Anyway I will retest her saves and see if they are indeed fixed, or if it was simply rebuilding the sims 3 folder that was the fix.

http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...Prevention/TS3W

If you already have it set for DEP to ignore it you may need to reset the value, directions are all the way to the bottom.

ETA: Yes her old saves work now. I think that it was resetting the nx value that did it since it now plays like it should. I hope yours can be fixed as easily.

Lab Assistant
#181 Old 24th Feb 2012 at 10:35 PM
When Pets came out I did have to do DEP but then I got bored of playing the sims and removed it as it was interfering with other games which didn't need it. Since I started playing again about 10 days ago I haven't had any issues with crashing until today, so I think the latest patch fixed what was happening there.

I did do that crash analyzer thing and it came up with update game, it's fully updated.

Anyway. I deleted everything except for the world Avalon and my latest challenge save and *fingers crossed* it seems to have worked. Have played for a couple of hours straight with a little lag now and then but no crashing and no weird glitches/interaction problems.

Ive set twallens saver to every five minutes just in case but yep, seems to be working now so I think it must have been a corrupt save file that was causing the issue.
Scholar
#182 Old 24th Feb 2012 at 11:24 PM
I did do that crash analyzer thing and it came up with update game, it's fully updated.

Are you sure? If you update through the launcher, it only updates your basegame and the latest EP, not all the EPs in between. Try this: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=409829

Snickerson: a Random Legacy Challenge. There are zebras involved. Zebras.
Lab Assistant
#183 Old 25th Feb 2012 at 1:51 PM
Wow, thanks Zokugai. I never knew that, I assumed the launcher did indeed fully update the game. It appears that three of the packs needed updating, World Adventures from 2.00.86 to 2.17.2 (no wonder I had so many glitches with adventures!), High End Loft Stuff from 3.00.38 to 3.13.1 and Ambitions from 4.7.04 to 4.10.1.

Why don't they tell people that? Well, will see what happens with my game a little later now it really is fully updated!

And my sincerest apologies that I seemed to have turned this into a support thread, im really sorry, that was never my intention. Hopefully, all issues are over now and I can concentrate on the challenge.
Scholar
#184 Old 25th Feb 2012 at 3:32 PM
Why don't they tell people that? Uhm, because they're EA, and EA is an idiot.

I only know about it because I had massive crashes with Pets and it turned out to be that my copy of Late Night was so old it had witnessed the invention of the wheel.

Lab Assistant
#185 Old 25th Feb 2012 at 3:42 PM Last edited by wolfsbayne : 25th Feb 2012 at 3:56 PM.
Well, it has crashed just now and it says custom content so it must be the world as that's all im using at the moment but it was after an hour or bit less so I dont mind that so much. I had just added my military based in edit town so that probably had something to do with it. I've also turned all the graphics options down to medium or low, can't tell with most things and it should help even if its just in a small way.

Ok, now it's just turned the pc off after a few seconds of restarting game.

This really sucks. Was hoping to really throw myself into the challenge today.
Test Subject
#186 Old 25th Feb 2012 at 6:24 PM
Well, it has crashed just now and it says custom content so it must be the world as that's all im using at the moment but it was after an hour or bit less so I dont mind that so much. I had just added my military based in edit town so that probably had something to do with it. I've also turned all the graphics options down to medium or low, can't tell with most things and it should help even if its just in a small way.

Ok, now it's just turned the pc off after a few seconds of restarting game.

This really sucks. Was hoping to really throw myself into the challenge today.

That really does stink, sometimes the computer shutting down is hardware or an overheating issues.

Last night my other game save shut down after a few sim hours. I had just added 5 new hair files and as soon as I took them out it ran fine again. I have heard that the world editor can cause routing issues when you add or remove lots, especially on mid to low end computers. A friend on the exchange has been having a lot of issues with worlds since Pets and found out that her 3 yr old MAC book is actually programs with 5 yr old hardware and software, so was out of date for TS3 before she even started using it. Adding pets too it taxes the system too much and routing issues are increased and causing crashes.

Update on my Challenge

Rider is now a YA, he's working towards the police station. Gabriella has learned how to make the imaginary friend potion, so as soon as I split the families I can make the If's real.

Noel has maxed painting, but I need them to make more money to buy an art gallery. It seems silly to buy an Art Gallery so soon but I hate wasting the skills she has earned. The next generation will be earning a police station and hospital, Gabriella has already maxed logic and is 3 days from teen stage.

I'm thinking of moving the kids out once the two youngest reach teen and leaving the adults behind, since they have already unlocked their community lots.

Lab Assistant
#187 Old 25th Feb 2012 at 6:40 PM
Well, played again for a couple of hours fine until I edited town and then returned to game and it crashed to desktop. So it does appear to be routing/edit town issues causing the problem. My pc is two and a half years old but its quad core with a decent graphics card so I wouldn't really call it low spec. As im not able to work I have no idea if/when i'll be able to get a new one but that is my aim.

My challenge family are the Lloyd-Evans's

Emily Lloyd-Evans was the founder and she wanted to join the military and marry a farmer. She found a paparazzi called Altman Rush who she convinced to marry her, they had fun making twins Angelica and Benjamin. Altman was already an elder when he married Emily so he mastered fishing and gave the world a fishing spot whilst Emily worked hard raising her children and her skills, eventually getting a military base on the world where she quickly enlisted.

Angelica wants to be a rock star so she is working hard towards getting a theatre. She has mastered guitar and logic already and has just become a young adult. She has lofty ambitions of discovering all potions and in the process discovered how to make her imaginary friend, Cosmo, real. She then found out that Cosmo was actually a girl! Angelica wants to raise two children and another young female in the household will be too much competition so she's kicked Cosmo out. (it was placing a home for Cosmo that caused the game to crash).

Benjamin loves nature and animals so he got to work mastering gardening so he can sell his produce at the supermarket. His best friend is his dog Brooks who is very handy at finding rare gems that increases the money the family has to spend.
Test Subject
#188 Old 25th Feb 2012 at 7:34 PM
A couple of hours of play is good though. Even though it's redundant, I've learned to save before entering Edit town and when exiting just in case it crashes on me.

Hopefully you can work past all the glitches and make progress instead of getting stuck. If it weren't for Twallan's mods I wouldn't be able to play even though I have a gaming computer. I can play any graphics intensive game out there yet I have to baby TS3. It's very frustrating that EA hasn't done more to stabilize the core programing of their game before adding in more memory leaks.

Lab Assistant
#189 Old 25th Feb 2012 at 8:42 PM
just played a few more hours and yep, crashed a few minutes after editing town. I don't mind if I know the reason for it which I do now and like you said, a couple of hours is pretty decent really. I live alone so I would probably spend all day on it so I suppose it forces me to take a break!
Test Subject
#190 Old 25th Feb 2012 at 9:41 PM
just played a few more hours and yep, crashed a few minutes after editing town. I don't mind if I know the reason for it which I do now and like you said, a couple of hours is pretty decent really. I live alone so I would probably spend all day on it so I suppose it forces me to take a break!

LOL, I have been known to sit here for 4 or 5 hours without a break without realizing it!

I'm getting some errors that cause crashing periodically as well. The error text the game creates mentions the TS3W.exe file. I use a No CD mod and run from a shortcut to the TS3W file to bypass the launcher, so I'm trying the game in Administrator Mode. (right click the icon and choose 'Run as Administrator" I changed the saver mod time to 10 min instead of every 30.

If it continues I may be looking at a un-install and install of the game So not looking forward to that. Good thing I don't have anything important to do today and the girls are happy playing in their room. We are getting snow, nothing that is sticking, but the wind is too bad for them to play outside.

Scholar
#191 Old 25th Feb 2012 at 9:42 PM
Wolf, if your game has more than I think ten pieces of CC the crash log analyzer will always report CC as being the problem, because it assumes that if you're troubleshooting a crash you've already done the basic steps of removing all CC, etc. If you pull them out and reanalyze the log, then add them back in, it should change its answer without you needing to go back in and get a "new" crash log.

If you've managed to get it to a couple hours of play at a time, use http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Saver By default it prompts for autosave every 30min, even if you're paused, in map view, etc.

Lab Assistant
#192 Old 25th Feb 2012 at 10:48 PM
Zokugai - the only cc I have installed is the world Avalon which is a blank world. Ive been into the folders and manually deleted everything. The crash only occurs when ive placed a new lot in edit world and then go back into the game so probably routing issues like someone else has said or similar.

I already use the saver mod and currently have it set to every 5 mins, I use most of twallens mods. Im also using the no cd mod as I did have an issue launching from disk earlier today.

Im able to progress with the challenge and I know to be prepared for a crash when I edit town so I can live with that. It's probably my fault for using a custom world.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#193 Old 26th Feb 2012 at 1:22 AM
Hey guys! Wanted to pop in and tell everyone that I should be back in a few days with rule updates. I got the Generations and Pets expansions a couple of days ago, and once I'm done getting over the AWESOME and playtest some things I'll be able to solidify the rules regarding those expansions.
Test Subject
#194 Old 26th Feb 2012 at 1:22 AM
I started this about a week ago and I'm really enjoying it! I started in an emptied out Hidden Springs with a male sim who I named Lane Moonbeam. I decided to unlock the bookstore first because I figured it would be hard to skill without the skill books. It turned out it was not that hard. He married the mail-woman, Shavonne who has a green thumb and she is now lvl 10 gardening and lvl 6 cooking all without skill books. Lane is slightly less than halfway through adulthood and I just put in the bookstore. Grocery store going up next time I play. Lane and Shavonne had 5 kids and I took the PP's idea of naming them all for the spouse who is marrying in to the family so the are Shawn and Shade(shuh-day), who are twins, Shiloh, Shea and Shoshana. Shawn and Shade are oldest and just became teens. Shawn is lvl 7 in logic so he will likely unlock the police department. Shade is an angler and she'll unlock the fishing spot.
Scholar
#195 Old 26th Feb 2012 at 3:03 AM
Update!

Ch. 6 - Marry Me http://evansimslegacy.blogspot.com/...6-marry-me.html

One more lot, a handful of age-ups, and a cute lil wedding.

The Love Legacy A Random Legacy Challenge Blog - Currently in Progress
Scholar
#196 Old 26th Feb 2012 at 3:09 AM
Avalikia: WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE GO CHASE UNICORNS AND COLLECT SNAKES.

Mad Poster
#197 Old 26th Feb 2012 at 3:17 AM
And chipmunks! (I have a soft spot for the chipmunks) :-)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#198 Old 26th Feb 2012 at 3:41 AM
I'm finishing reading ReyaD's Sabo story, actually. It's almost as good as chipmunks!
Scholar
#199 Old 26th Feb 2012 at 3:52 AM
Nothing is as good as chipmunks.

(except Rainy.)

I'm being horribly misbehaving and not taking my screenshots for my next chapters like I intended. Bella Goth is buried in Lunar Lakes so I'm moving a YA Mortimer, plus Cassandra and Alexander, to LL, and rezzing her. Because I got that idea at 2am last night and it's stuck in my head.

Alchemist
#200 Old 26th Feb 2012 at 4:03 AM
I decided to give this challenge a go. I emptied out The Winchester Farming Community world by My Sim Realty.
My founder, Mystery Sim (Sims 2 players might get the reference) married a paparazzi. I've had her gardening, planning to max that skill and unlock the grocery store. Her husband maxed sculpture and unlocked the consignment store first. That was pretty costly, actually. It cost around 51k, and when I purchased it, the game told me I needed a lot value of 27k, and that I was just under 2k short of that. So, I added 2k more in decor, but the game credits you for roughly half the value of stuff you buy for the lot, I ended up having to pump in 3k worth of stuff to make the 2k difference to met the minimum requirements.
But I think it will be worth it in the long run to pull in profits from the store, as well as the extra money you get for selling stuff at the consignment shop over just selling from inventory.
Anyway, Mystery and Rory have two sons now and Mystery is pregnant with a third. She's level 9 in Gardening, but it might be some time before I add a grocery. Mystery befriended the first consignment cashier, Angel Fox (I didn't name her that, I swear), and asked her to move in. I'm not using Angel to unlock any lots, I'm planning on moving her out as soon as she marries Bubba Vick, a paparazzi who stalks Mystery's husband, who has one celebrity star because of his sculpting skill.
So that's where I'm at. I'm just happy to be able to play without freezes all the time, which have plagued me in every neighborhood I've played since Pets came out. I can't even bear playing my random legacy lately, and I'd just about given up on Sims altogether.
Page 8 of 39