Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Jun 2019 at 2:41 PM
Sims 4 makes my CPU hot?
Hey guys - I just got the complete game (up to the last patch) for my birthday, and was wondering why it makes my CPU (not my GPU) so dang hot. I have a quad core I7 Intel processor, so it should, in theory, be fine, right? Wrong. That heckin chonker of a game has me running at temps of 100c on all 4 cores, and that gives me much worry. The GPU (1060 3gb Nvidia GTX) doesn't even break a sweat.

What I am going to try: Lowering the graphics settings (no more ultra) - turning on vSync - I will report back/edit this post to let you all know if that works. I do have a bit of CC and mods, but I don't think those would affect the CPU - more like the GPU, correct?

I don't have this issue with Sims 3... weird. (I limit the FPS to 30 on that game, as I don't see the need for it to be any faster)

Besides what I listed above, is there anything different that I need to do/might be able to do to prevent the CPU from going "kerboom!" ?

Running Windows 10, just in case that's important.

Thank you!

Dead Ringers
Discord: RedBaroness13
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 21st Jun 2019 at 4:20 PM Last edited by HarVee : 21st Jun 2019 at 4:32 PM.
CPU overheat is typically caused by improper cooling not an application. Some applications tend to use the CPU cycles more than GPU, but even then a healthy CPU should stay within a safe range.

Here's four things that can be done. The first is, obviously, get a good quality CPU cooler or if you have one already make sure it's working correctly. The second is blow out the dust and dirt from your PC using an air can or air compressor. The third is to replace the thermal paste on your CPU. The fourth and the final thing to do is adjust your voltage via the BIOS. That last one should only done if you know what you're doing and if all else has failed.

There is nothing application-wise that you can do to fix CPU overheating.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Jun 2019 at 5:55 PM
Thanks, @HarVee - I did clean it out after I posted this question and it seems to be better. I have a good cooler, but perhaps it if tends to heat up again, I'll replace the thermal paste.

Thank you again!

Dead Ringers
Test Subject
#4 Old 30th Jun 2019 at 12:17 AM
I had this happen with my gaming computer has well. Sims 4 does run the computer energy causing it to get hot, but any high graphics game is going to do that. I had that with playing the witcher. But make sure also that the room you have the computer in is also cool or you will keep overheating. Since it is summer, a room with AC (if that is an option for you) is best for the computer to be in, something i learned. Once my room was cooler, it stopped happening. Nothing wrong with buying an additional cooler/fan though
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 30th Jun 2019 at 8:48 PM
I use my vacuum with the upholstery brush to remove any dust. It doesn't take much to mess up the ventilation system. For laptops you can buy a lap pad with a built in fan. Yes, the game will make the computer overheat. Try to not play it for more than an hour. If mine overheats then it will shut the game or shut the computer, without saving the game.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 4th Jul 2019 at 5:33 AM
It was dust, definitely dust. XD I got the comp all cleaned up and it's running nice and cool now. I have a wicked powerful gaming rig, but I honestly forgot to dust it. You would think, with 5 cats, a forced-air heating system and a dog, I'd remember. LOL

Dead Ringers
Forum Resident
#7 Old 4th Jul 2019 at 7:06 AM
In addition to the above, I have an external cooling pad that works well.