Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Jun 2021 at 1:46 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Glowing/Bright Sims in CAS, userstartup.cheat doesn't seem to work...?????
Hello, I have recently redownloaded the base game onto my Windows 10 again. I noticed when in CAS a really bright hue goes over the sims. Looks strange. I took help from these two things. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rl...ab_channel=Pixu and this forum https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Game_g...erstartup.cheat

I wanted to know what I was doing wrong?? I made the userstartup.cheat in the notebook part in Config like both had stated yet nothing has changed. The brightness still stays the same and the start up cheats do not work. I noticed some people stating this glow happens from the newest Win10 update.

Any advice would surely help if there are other methods! I just learned how to use userstartup.cheat and I wanted advice how to get that working if there is a way! Thank you! If this needs anymore detail let me know!
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 28th Jun 2021 at 2:50 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 28th Jun 2021 at 3:02 AM.
boolprop useshaders true
in your userstartup file should fix the issue.

If not, Ladyduchess' new fix: https://lazyduchess.tumblr.com/post...-bright-cas-fix
may be of help.

You'll probably want to use both if the above cheat doesn't help, or if you still get individual items showing up bright, as the fix is also meant to help for items that have a particular problem in the mesh file.

---

If your userstartup file doesn't seem to work, it's possible you've put something into it the file doesn't like, which cuts it off. It's also possible the file has been saved with the wrong file extension (the file should open in notepad, but be a ".cheat" file).

You can copy and paste the entire text of your userstartup into a post below, so we can take a look at it. Chances are there's just a character wrong somewhere, or a cheat you've put as "always active" that the file doesn't like (some cheats only work as aliases), or something like that.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Jun 2021 at 3:39 AM
Default ???? Shaders fixed????
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
boolprop useshaders true
in your userstartup file should fix the issue.

If not, Ladyduchess' new fix: https://lazyduchess.tumblr.com/post...-bright-cas-fix
may be of help.

You'll probably want to use both if the above cheat doesn't help, or if you still get individual items showing up bright, as the fix is also meant to help for items that have a particular problem in the mesh file.

---

If your userstartup file doesn't seem to work, it's possible you've put something into it the file doesn't like, which cuts it off. It's also possible the file has been saved with the wrong file extension (the file should open in notepad, but be a ".cheat" file).

You can copy and paste the entire text of your userstartup into a post below, so we can take a look at it. Chances are there's just a character wrong somewhere, or a cheat you've put as "always active" that the file doesn't like (some cheats only work as aliases), or something like that.

Okay, so really weird, I went ahead and installed the rest of my expansions to see if that would fix it, and when I got to NL, the bright glow went away and hasn't shown up on the rest????? Very strange. Would it be good to have the mod anyways to prevent it from happening with other mods in the game? I'll attach what I had written in the Notepad. I was following Pixu tutorial and once the game loaded everything was just back to normal. The cheats didn't activate.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#4 Old 28th Jun 2021 at 6:52 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 28th Jun 2021 at 7:19 AM.
You should remove "moveobjects on" from the second line, that cheat doesn't work as always on. It does work as an alias, though. You may want to add the cheat to turn it off.

Also, you can shorten down the alias even further if you want (I like to keep the ones I use a lot to 2-3 characters - the less typing I have to do ingame, the better).

-----------------------------------------

I suggest to add these, or the ones you want/need anyway, to the "always on" part -

This adds 45 degree angles to your furniture if you use the , . keys. No need to have it as an alias, as it's easy to control whether to use it or not. Not entirely sure if you need an EP for this one (if so it's probably Uni or NL).
boolProp allow45DegreeAngleOfRotation true

These two if you have Pets (lets you control household pets and cancel actions like for sims)
boolprop controlpets true
boolprop petactioncancel true

If you want testingcheats always on
boolProp testingCheatsEnabled true

boolProp QuarterTilePlacementEnabled true (but ONLY if you have M&G - this one is a bit special, and is activated with Ctrl+F ingame)

I suggest to add the ones below to the alias part (you can change the alias, make sure they're different for all the cheats, but keep them short and easy to remember so you don't have to type too much - that's what the alias is for, after all)

These for building/decorating (and yes, you need the ones to turn them off, or you'll find yourself typing them in full, which is annoying)
alias mn "moveObjects on"
alias mf "moveObjects off"
alias sn "boolProp snapObjectsToGrid false"
alias sf "boolProp snapObjectsToGrid true"

(These if you'd rather have the above pet cheats as aliases and not as always on - ONLY if you have Pets)
alias peton "boolProp controlpets on" "makes pets controllable"
alias petoff "boolProp controlpets off"
alias petcancel "boolprop PetActionCancel true" "cancels actions"
alias petcancelof "boolprop PetActionCancel false"

(This one if you'd rather turn Testingcheats on and off)
alias ton "boolProp testingCheatsEnabled true"
alias tof "boolProp testingCheatsEnabled false"