Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#76 Old 2nd Jun 2015 at 10:43 PM Last edited by Peni Griffin : 3rd Jun 2015 at 6:00 PM.
That's...very strange! Nobody else is having this problem, are they? Can you install other neighborhoods? Try Emerald Flats as a comparison. Maybe that will give you the clue you need.

You have all the necessary EPs, right? This neighborhood uses BG, University, and Nightlife.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#77 Old 3rd Jun 2015 at 6:00 PM
THE MODIFY TERRAIN CHEAT SUCKS!!!!!!!

I did the replacement. I took all the lots out of Bigg City and moved them to the lot bin, I put that copy into my full game, I turned on the cheat, I selected entire blocks at once and hit the \ key, I got every square inch of that map that anyone could possibly want to build on except the waterfront (which somebody might want to make into beach lots someday), I left the neighborhood, I came back, I replaced the AGS Bigg City with the full game Bigg City terrain, I start replacing the lots, beginning with the Enclave, and #9 won't place for love nor money. I have trouble placing the other lots in that block but futzing with the order I do them in clears that up; only #9 won't do it. I can place it across the street, and I can place a 3x3 lot in its original location, and when I go to look at that lot, the terrain is very clearly not flat!

What can I possibly be doing wrong here? I can see how highlighting half a block and then the other half could wind up with discontinuities, but how the hell does highlighting and leveling the whole block at once not work? It doesn't make any sense! What am I not understanding? The Enclave is the simplest block to select - if this is screwed up the entire rest of the map is probably screwed up and I am more frustrated right now than I've been since I quit the soul-sucking dayjob, I could break things!

Help?

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#78 Old 3rd Jun 2015 at 6:18 PM Last edited by marka93 : 3rd Jun 2015 at 7:21 PM.
Ok Peni I just found out that after using the Lot Adjuster to fixed the edges of any lot you must go in game and use the flatten tool (the one you set down and draw accross the whole lot) and this will (or it just did for me) fix the tears on your lots and other problems that may be wrong with the lots.

I will go test it out on the copy of your hood and see what happens.

1. go into the hood that you have not changed yet.
2. go into each lot and use the tool that you drag accross the lot to make it flat.
3. you should now be able to move any lot and place them back down.

If not then use the LA and uncheck the elevation and either smooth/flatten edges and then go into game and use the tool on each lot that you changed to flatten the whole lot by dragging it across the lot.(Not the one that does the whole lot at once but the one you have to drag.)

Lot Adjuster seems to make the adjustment but you must also do it in-game before the game will register the changes.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#79 Old 3rd Jun 2015 at 6:28 PM
But I've done all that! I did it over and over! And then I flattened the terrain and replaced it and the terrain is not flat! The blank lot I placed in that space is not flat.

The game crashed as I was quitting last night, so maybe that screwed something up. I've flattened it again (more than I wanted to - much less of a hill looming over Hillfoot now) and maybe now it'll take?

Mad Poster
#80 Old 3rd Jun 2015 at 7:20 PM
I hope you can get it fixed.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#81 Old 3rd Jun 2015 at 8:57 PM
Okay, the second try seems to have worked. I still don't have all flat edges in all lots but I haven't found any visible rips or tears, or wrinkly or editable roads, or any of the troublesome things that make flat edges desirable in the first place. I'm kind of wrung out and will do all that checking tomorrow. Having so much more flatness has enabled me to pack some of the lots more tightly, leaving more usable open space for the player, but everything's roughly back in its place. So if anybody's found issues unrelated to flatness, speak up and I'll take care of them at the same time, so the next version uploaded will be the final empty one (I hope). I also need to make a master list of lots.

Laura, you got it working yet?

Mad Poster
#82 Old 4th Jun 2015 at 9:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Laura, you got it working yet?

Yes! :-D Turns out I was somehow using an old version that I had from ages ago instead of the new one! Ooops!

I'm very excited about testing it out and visiting all of your lovely community lots. I've (mainly) only looked at it from neighbourhood view so far, as it was late and I was tired, but it looks amazing and I'm delighted that I have a day off today so I can play! Shame I'm not feeling well though, bah :-(
Mad Poster
#83 Old 5th Jun 2015 at 6:29 AM Last edited by Sunbee : 5th Jun 2015 at 7:30 AM.
**EDIT** It is a table on the outside of the men's door to the pool. (Amazing what you see when you have the sense to turn the lot around, Sunbee!)

Ginger Newson would like to inform you of a slight problem at the Municipal Pool: the men's room door to the pool is hidden by the wall mask (looks like it was placed with moveobjects on) and the idiot men from the garden club (no regular townies generated) cannot figure out how to use it to access the pool and are piling up telling dirty jokes at the ladies' room door. She will tell her brother to test it out later.

She had no trouble getting served at the Bar Soon (I love the name) in spite of being significantly underage after she and Matthew Smith trounced Armando Whatsisname and Joe Whateverhisnamewas at pool, but she declined to play cards with the Unsavory Charlatan and Armando (may have just broken the game?), and was able to get a plate of spaghetti and use the restroom at the Lunch Counter. She showered at the pool and is napping on the lounge chair as I post.

I put the Newsons in the warehouse and they seem to like it just fine. There has been a lot of juvenile delinquency taking place, but that's only to be expected.

One more stop on the way home: Turquoise Strip, where Ginger bought a new dress, changed appearance in the mirror, and socialized.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Scholar
#84 Old 5th Jun 2015 at 3:25 PM
I've had a bit of time to playtest today, so playtest I did!

This time, I decided to unleash War and Famine upon Bigg City. Pestilence would have come along as well, but there was some kerfluffle about him violating all of the city's health ordinances just by being there (also, I'm still frankensteining up his body mesh).

After Famine changed into something less likely to melt my computer's graphics card (so. many. polygons. in. the. cage.), I sent them to the San Simeon Chapel. The chapel's lacking a description, but I love the two wedding arches. It gives it a "assembly line weddings" feel to it. The pink stucco outside is also wonderful. The payphone outside is also turned to the side -- was that intentional?

This little detail outside Silver's Gym tickled me:

And the Rock & Roll Diner is so utterly tacky, it's glorious. It also had a lot of room for fights.

I'll try and playtest more later :D

My CC creations, updated April 21, 2015.

My Simblr
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#85 Old 6th Jun 2015 at 4:58 AM
That's weird about the champagne! Anybody else getting that? Is it that way at Wedding on the Go, too? I was in both those lots today checking the edges and the bottle was on the counter in both.

San Simeon Chapel doesn't have a description because it'll have to be a residential lot in the populated hood, but I do have a description written. I'm putting together the master lot lists and it's proving a bit hard to organize because there's so many logical ways to do it, not one of which will fit all purposes.

Though in populated hood I'll probably have the Firewall Gang living there (it's that or 26 Front), I did make sure that the Abandoned Warehouse had a price tag that would suit the Newsons.

That's embarrassing about the Municipal Pool I must've forgotten to turn move objects off after placing that double street light at the corner.

I may have to take pictures of 7 The Enclave and rebuild it from scratch. So far (I'm three-quarters of the way through the whole hood) it's the only one that still has rips in it. If a third time through the lot adjuster, with level lots on all sides, doesn't fix it I don't see an alternative.

What style would a realtor call #13? I'm writing real estate listings for all the residences as part of the Master Lot List - prices, bed/bath numbers, and so on - and that style has me stumped. It ought to have a name, though.

Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator
#86 Old 6th Jun 2015 at 7:41 AM
Peni, was it 7 The Enclave that didn't want to be placed back in the neighborhood, after you flattened out the neighborhood?
LotAdjuster should be able to make it flat.

It's such a gorgeous lot. I like all of the Enclave houses.

Catalogue of Custom Neighborhoods for TS2
All Hood Building Group neighborhoods are available here
Want to get rid of EA's sims in neighborhoods? Check out my Clean and Empty Steatlh Hoods and Clean and Empty Neighborhood Templates
My Simblr
Field Researcher
#87 Old 6th Jun 2015 at 7:55 AM
Peni - I don't know if anyone's already said this, or if it's even still like that in the current version, because I'm still using the old one, but there's one window at the front of the No Tell Motel, which is between two rooms rather than between the room and outside, IYSWIM. I didn't manage to get a picture, but once you know it's there, it's fairly easy to spot because the rest of the windows are in a regular pattern and so there's a gap where this one should be.

Also, in some of the more run down lots, I love the touches of graffiti from the Firewall gang!

♫Cuz I don't have a home in this life, I have to roam. Got nowhere to lay my head, so I'll follow you instead, and set my gaze on the place I'm going to. Til then I'm homeless, but I'll roam with you...♫

My Simblr: http://natteryaktoad.tumblr.com
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#88 Old 6th Jun 2015 at 4:22 PM
Window between two rooms? KInky...but hardly conducive to confidence that you won't be blackmailed! I'll check that out today. It sounds exactly like the kind of thing that's always happening to me, the wrong wall grabbing something flat so I don't notice.

9 was the one I couldn't place no matter what I did and that didn't get flattened in the first hood replacement, but having been through all The Enclave lots now I'm sure that 7 was the main problem all along. Its position in the block makes its borders relevant to every one of the lots that gave me trouble, and the border with #9 is the lumpiest. I have Domestic Drive and about four community lots to check today and then I'll run Lot Adjuster on all the lots that still have bumps on the edges, and we shall see what we shall see. If I have to rebuild it I will, because I really like that one, too. The only one of the Enclave lots I'm not satisfied with is that Tudor. It looks fine outside but I'm not sure the floorplan is really playable.

However, I was playing GS Veronaville yesterday and the day before, and after having had to deal with Veronaville Market and the Summerdream House (which I just bulldozed because that damn dry moat!) I feel like a pretty clever builder. I recommend that as a reality check to anybody who feels inadequate. The worst thing you ever built is probably better than Veronaville Market.

Mad Poster
#89 Old 6th Jun 2015 at 8:10 PM
I seem to be having issues with Bigg City (again) :-( I created a few households in CAS (they are genderswapped versions of a few of the bin households, I'm not sure if that's relevant). I've been setting up the families and I've moved them all into their houses in Bigg City.

But when I open Bigg City in SimPE they don't show up. Their character files are in the Characters folder in the neighbourhood folder in My Documents, but SimPE doesn't seem to see them. In my other three 'hoods (Widespot and two test neighbourhoods) all of the character files load when I open each neighbourhood in SimPE, but not in Bigg City. The characters folder contains 24 files, but only 6 charcters show up in SimPE, and they're all the universal/every neighbourhood ones like Pollination Technician, Grim Reaper etc.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Has anyone had similar issues with Bigg City (or any other neighbourhood)?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#90 Old 6th Jun 2015 at 10:03 PM
What the hell, Laura? Your game is so mean to you!

Are you sure you're looking in the right copy of Bigg City? If you have SimPE closed and click on the neighborhood package file, do you get a different result than if you open SimPE first and navigate to it?

Dang, I got all the lots checked and ready for lot adjuster today and forgot to fix that window in the Notell Motel. I have got to write this stuff down.

Mad Poster
#91 Old 6th Jun 2015 at 10:18 PM
What the hell, Laura? Your game is so mean to you!

Are you sure you're looking in the right copy of Bigg City? If you have SimPE closed and click on the neighborhood package file, do you get a different result than if you open SimPE first and navigate to it?

It's definitely the correct copy of Bigg City. I get the same result whichever way I try to open it (though I didn't know that it was possible to open a 'hood like that in SimPE until now!).

Hopefully somebody here on or Tumblr will be able to tell me what's going on....
Trainee Moderator
#92 Old 7th Jun 2015 at 7:22 AM
I remember that someone had issues with Meadow Creek because she didn't extract is using 7zip. I'm not sure whether this matters at all or not but it solved her problems. So, you could try redownloading and extracting it with 7zip instead of rar or zip.
Bigg City in my game works great and I can load all of the lots.

Want to get rid of EA's sims in neighborhoods? Check out my Clean and Empty Steatlh Hoods and Clean and Empty Neighborhood Templates
My Simblr
Mad Poster
#93 Old 7th Jun 2015 at 2:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jawusa
I remember that someone had issues with Meadow Creek because she didn't extract is using 7zip. I'm not sure whether this matters at all or not but it solved her problems. So, you could try redownloading and extracting it with 7zip instead of rar or zip.
Bigg City in my game works great and I can load all of the lots.

I can load all of the lots now, but I still can't get SimPE to show the character files when I load the neighbourhood through Neighbourhood Browser (or by opening it in SimPE).

I’ve also just noticed that Bigg City is also missing a bunch of universal sim files - it has the Grim Reaper, but I started a new Bigg City (after extracting it with 7zip) and there were only 6 character files visible in SimPE, but in a new random test ‘hood there were twenty-something, even before I’d created any sims. And when I created two sims in each ‘hood there were still only 6 files in Bigg City, but two extras were added in the test ‘hood and I can edit them in SimPE. It seems that perhaps it isn’t initialising properly when I load it for the first time, but I don’t know why!

Everyone else who's play-testing Bigg City can see the sims that they've created in SimPE, right? I can see them in-game, just not in SimPE when I load the 'hood.
Trainee Moderator
#94 Old 7th Jun 2015 at 4:13 PM
Bigg City's neighborhood ID number is 1. Pleasantview's neighborhood ID is 1, too.

Maybe, the game did not fix that conflict and added the SimDescription files in Pleasantview, rather than in Bigg City. When I installed, Bigg City, the first thing to do was changing the neighborhoodID number to an unused number.
Sometimes, the game does not fix the conflicting neighborhood IDs.

You can fix it by using the "Make Unique" button in SimPE but you can also type in anything between 1-999. I suggest you high numbers (e.g 877 or 658 or 914)

In my game, Bigg City works just fine and all of the characters are properly linked to Bigg City and I can edit them in SimPE.

My Simblr
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#95 Old 7th Jun 2015 at 5:35 PM
Sounds like I need to go in and do that unique number thing ASAP. I hadn't realized I'd overlooked doing it to start.

Mad Poster
#96 Old 8th Jun 2015 at 5:24 PM Last edited by lauratje86 : 8th Jun 2015 at 6:13 PM.
Sounds like I need to go in and do that unique number thing ASAP. I hadn't realized I'd overlooked doing it to start.

It's a useful thing to do as it may help others, but sadly it didn't solve my problem - I didn't even have a #1 neighbourhood, as it turned out! So I still don't know what the problem is.

I downloaded and added a populated user-made neighbourhood yesterday (Mark's Four Corners) and that worked fine in SimPE. I'm about to try an unpopulated user-made neighbourhood, like Bigg City, to see if that is the problem or if it really is something specific to Bigg City....

**ETA** It seems that it is specific to Bigg City - I tried Plasticbox's Middleground and was able to view all of the sim's files in SimPE - all of the universal/NPC-type sims and also two CAS sims. I wonder why Bigg City isn't cooperating?!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#97 Old 8th Jun 2015 at 10:00 PM Last edited by Peni Griffin : 9th Jun 2015 at 2:34 PM.
That is very strange indeed and I am at a standstill. Try the flattened one attached to this post, though I can't think why it would be any different in this regard. If nobody else is getting this problem it has to be something unique to your setup - but if you're not having this problem with other people's hoods it has to be something unique to Bigg City - argh!-

Also, I can't get the window with the unique ID field to open. I never did this step with Widespot - it isn't in the tutorial - just the renaming, and all the interior files are renamed. So I'm not worrying about that at this time, though I wonder why the plug-in won't open the field.

(Dealt with; see post after next).

Trainee Moderator
#98 Old 9th Jun 2015 at 11:39 AM
Peni, the "Make Unique" button randomly gives you a ID number. But you can do it manually. You can type in anything between 1-999. I would choose a neighborhood number that is high (e.g 598 or 772)

Anyway, I'll download your latest version.

Widespot has #10, so it doesn't conflict with Pleasantview/Strangetown/Veronaville...
Maybe, while populating Bigg City as a downtown, the game added the SimDNA, Descriptions, Wants and Fears, etc. into your Pleasantview (in Program Files) rather than into Bigg City. That may be the reason why your previous Bigg City got corrupted...

Your previous Bigg City also had #1. Maybe, it's not because it was a downtown, maybe it was because it had #1...

I will create a new downtown neighborhood, create some random sims and look whether the characters get saved or not. Maybe, populating a standalone downtown subhood doesn't corrupt the game.
But maybe, I'm totally wrong. Mootilda would know it for sure.

My Simblr
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#99 Old 9th Jun 2015 at 2:33 PM Last edited by Peni Griffin : 23rd Jul 2015 at 1:58 AM. Reason: removing the superseded copies; see end of thread
Aha! It occurred to me that the problem (which was that the ID field wouldn't open at all - both the plug-in view and the field on the right remained stubbornly blank no matter how often I clicked the IDNO line) might be down to the wonky way SimPE works on my Windows 7 machine. I opened the neighborhood in SimPE on my XP machine, and it worked fine.

The "make unique" field gave me a "2," which didn't strike me as an improvement, so I rolled a set of polyhedral dice, added the result, and changed the number to 90.

I just realized I forgot to change the lot zoning on San Simeon Chapel for this iteration. (My latest working copy always needs to have it residential so I'll have it to make typed deaths on.) Oh, well. I'm hoping this is the last draft before I start making characters. I'm uneasy about moving on to that step without understanding Laura's problem - but it may take experimentation on my part to understand Laura's problem anyway.

Trainee Moderator
#100 Old 10th Jun 2015 at 9:14 PM
OK, I just went checking. While playing Bigg City, the game generated 19 characters and I can edit all of those sims in SimPE. They all show up, so I don't have any problems with Bigg City.

I'm not sure why it didn't work for you, Laura. As you see above, "Make Unique" on Bigg City generates the number 2 which will conflict with Strangetown. Maybe, it didn't work for you because you got the number 2. And even if you have deleted your Strangetown, there's still one in your install location.

Download the latest version which should not conflict with any of your neighborhoods and test it again. Maybe, it will work then.

My Simblr
Page 4 of 9