Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Mar 2021 at 5:35 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2
Default How do you force the game to show community lot items/objects in residential lots?
There is a circle sign I want for my residential lot, but it only shows up on community lots. A person told me to put the community items in a collections folder and convert it to resdeintial using SimPE, but I can't find the "collections" option anywhere in SimPE. Do you guys know any way to make a community lot object appear in the residential lots inventory?

By the way, the circle sign I want on my sim's lot is part of "Signs of Elliptical Joy" by Alexandra Workman.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 25th Mar 2021 at 12:45 PM
Nah, that person was wrong. If you put an item in collections and then enable that collection for residential and business, if the item itself isn't enabled for residential, the thumbnail will be there, but the actual item will just be grey and unclickable. You need to edit the Object Data in SimPE to actually change where it shows up (and for making a residential object available on community lots).

Now normally you'd just open the object mesh and edit it, but that sign is a game object, so you're gonna have to clone it and create an override. Open Object Workshop in SimPE and find the sign, but instead of choosing Recolour, choose Clone. Change nothing. Save your file. Then click on Object Data (OBJD), and in the Catalog Sort tab, put a tick in any of the Room Sort checkboxes. (To make something show up in Community, click on Raw Data, check Decimal, scroll down to 03. Catalog Sorting and put 132 in Community Sort). And then your object shows up in the catalogue. It's that easy!

However. This file will give your object a CC star... and the ability to delete it. This is fine if it actually is CC, but this sign is not. We don't want it marked as CC because if you do ever zone out and delete it, you'll delete a chunk of your game. So instead of saving the file in your Downloads folder, save it in the TSData\Res\Catalog\Bins folder of your highest EP. For me, that's Mansion and Gardens, if you have the Ultimate Collection, that'll be Fun With Pets/EP9.

Hope that helps!
Mad Poster
#3 Old 25th Mar 2021 at 1:39 PM
You have to untick all the boxes before making a clone of a maxis item that's going to work as a default/override (just so you're aware).

I think the override item still works if you delete all the resources except for the one you're changing the info for (the OBJD). That way, if you have any default replacement recolors and such, those will still work. This also creates smaller files (I have both types in my downloads folder, and the full clones are around 100-400 kb per object, the only-OBJDs are less than 10kb each even with multiple OBJDs, so it's more of a space-saver and probably faster for the game to read).
Mad Poster
#4 Old 25th Mar 2021 at 1:45 PM Last edited by sushigal007 : 25th Mar 2021 at 2:10 PM.
Ahh, OK, I'm afraid I wasn't sure exactly what to tinker with, and deleting everything except the OBJD gave me an icon with No Pic and the name wiped out, so in the end I gave up and left everything as it was. It showed up in residential with all the catalogue description and images and recolours, so I decided that was good enough for me! XD
Mad Poster
#5 Old 25th Mar 2021 at 1:50 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 25th Mar 2021 at 2:05 PM.
It is possible you have to extract the original OBJD with SimPE and put it in a new file. I was looking at items made by HugeLunatic and Shasta (which I know have kept their thumbnails, because I've used these items in my game for several years). It could be it varies which technique you can use, and that the "only OBJD" method only works in some cases, though - I had fewer examples than I thought I had (was almost sure I had community lot objects, too, but apparently not).
Mad Poster
#6 Old 25th Mar 2021 at 2:13 PM Last edited by sushigal007 : 25th Mar 2021 at 7:15 PM.
Yeah, I had a look at my ResiBusi bundle (was surprised to find the sign wasn't in there!), which only had the OBJD and a single text string, but I just couldn't get it to work unless I left everything alone. I might try just yoinking the OBJD from the Open For Business objects file and see what happens.

ETA: Nope, no picture and no catalogue description again. Ah well.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 25th Mar 2021 at 3:06 PM
(I knew I had one for objects, but looking for it in all the wrong places - of course it's in Bins...)

I have one by Phaenoh that recategorizes Maxis items into different categories in the catalog, and it's only OBJDs. The items work fine and I've never noticed any thumbnail problems with them. I don't seem to have any for the community lot items, though (probably should have - my old method for using them by first setting the lots as community then as residential was pretty lousy... But that's years ago now)
Mad Poster
#8 Old 25th Mar 2021 at 7:17 PM
Yeah, I don't know why it's not showing with the picture or anything, I'm literally just overriding that one resource. Well, the full clone works, if anyone smarter than me can explain how to whittle it down to just the OBJD, please tell me your secrets!
Mad Poster
#9 Old 25th Mar 2021 at 10:20 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 25th Mar 2021 at 10:44 PM.
There could be instances where the only-OBJD method doesn't work. This could be one of them, although the mod below does seem to suggest the method works. It's based on only-OBJDs, and unlocks some of the community lot objects.

https://modthesims.info/d/138575/up...ts-for-ofb.html

Just be warned, it's an old one - not sure if it still works all that well up to M&G - Comments seem to suggest it still works, but there could be issues with actually getting the items to work, as they'll only properly work as intended on community lots. Restaurant items will cause some issues on residential lots, spawning in workers - which can be quite annoying. You may want to use most of them as deco, and some may work for OFB businesses, but you won't be able to buy food, items or clothes from home with them).

(It does seem the "NoPic" thumbnail does show for some objects, although I'm not sure which ones are the objects in the picture)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 26th Mar 2021 at 12:59 AM
I tried it, but the sign is no where in my residential lot inventory. I put it in the TSData\Res\Catalog\Bins folder. I even unticked everything before cloning and saving it.
Kinda wish there was a mod that can give me access to those signs for BOTH community and residential lots.

Are there other methods? I'll admit, this is confusing to me.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 26th Mar 2021 at 2:07 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 26th Mar 2021 at 2:45 AM.
We're talking about the elliptical signs here: https://modthesims.info/d/282900/6-...-lit-unlit.html right?

EDIT: The "elliptical" sign appears to be a lamp.

(I hardly ever use these signs...)
Mad Poster
#12 Old 26th Mar 2021 at 2:16 AM Last edited by sushigal007 : 26th Mar 2021 at 2:37 AM.
Try putting it in your Downloads folder first, just to check it shows up? I hide all my CC from the main catalogue so just having the one thing with a CC star on it made it stand out for me.

ETA: Here's a screencap of my clone in Deco/Misc on a residential lot, first in Downloads, then in Bins. All I did was clone it without any changes and tick Misc. in Room Sort.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 26th Mar 2021 at 5:14 AM Last edited by Simsfan2021 : 26th Mar 2021 at 5:40 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
We're talking about the elliptical signs here: https://modthesims.info/d/282900/6-...-lit-unlit.html right?

EDIT: The "elliptical" sign appears to be a lamp.

(I hardly ever use these signs...)

Yeah, those are the ones.

Quote: Originally posted by sushigal007
Try putting it in your Downloads folder first, just to check it shows up? I hide all my CC from the main catalogue so just having the one thing with a CC star on it made it stand out for me.

ETA: Here's a screencap of my clone in Deco/Misc on a residential lot, first in Downloads, then in Bins. All I did was clone it without any changes and tick Misc. in Room Sort.

IT WORKED!! THANK YOU SO MUCH, GUYS!!
I just forgot to put a check in the Room Sort checkboxes. Thank you, guys!
Mad Poster
#14 Old 26th Mar 2021 at 11:00 AM
Wonderful, glad you got it working!
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#15 Old 26th Mar 2021 at 12:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sushigal007

I've moved these to Lighting/Misc by editing the OBJD and they show fine on residential lots.  The only time I have had issues editing the OBJDs is with multi tile ones, sometimes you need to edit both the first and second ones. Usually the lead object is the second, so instances 16807 and 16808,