Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Apr 2019 at 8:53 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Is it possible to input a command in your .bat file to start TS2 muted/no sound?
My game takes 20 minutes to load and it drives me crazy listening to the loading screen music. Id have to mute my computer so i don't hear it. Problem is that i watch a video while i wait and is muted too.

What i'm looking for is a command that i can input in my .batch file that will start up the sims in silent mode. Is this possible?
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 23rd Apr 2019 at 9:08 PM
I usually just use the volume controller (Idk what it's called exaclty in English) and drag the volume for ts2 all the way down, like this:

I'm on Windows 10 but I know I've done this when I had Windows 7 too
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#3 Old 23rd Apr 2019 at 9:08 PM
What I did was to replace the sound that plays upon startup with 1 hour of silence.

You could try my file out if you like; put it in your latest EP TSData/ Res/ Sound folder. If you have all EPs and SPs, it goes in the Apartment Life Sound folder.
https://simfileshare.net/download/1022823/
Alchemist
#4 Old 23rd Apr 2019 at 9:13 PM
after game is loaded, sound settings can be changed through options panel.

not entirely sure, but sound settings might also be control-able through cheat file. not sure what lines would work.
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 23rd Apr 2019 at 10:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
What I did was to replace the sound that plays upon startup with 1 hour of silence.

You could try my file out if you like; put it in your latest EP TSData/ Res/ Sound folder. If you have all EPs and SPs, it goes in the Apartment Life Sound folder.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but if i have all eps and i launch my game from "mansions and gardens"...shouldn't i put this in mansions and gardens sound folder? (just trying to be sure!)
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6 Old 23rd Apr 2019 at 11:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by labellavienna
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but if i have all eps and i launch my game from "mansions and gardens"...shouldn't i put this in mansions and gardens sound folder? (just trying to be sure!)

Not a dumb question; M&G does not have a splash! file of its own, so uses your last installed EP sound.
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 23rd Apr 2019 at 11:26 PM
Not a dumb question; M&G does not have a splash! file of its own, so uses your last installed EP sound.

I'll give this a try, thank you so much! I think this is exactly what i was looking for
Mad Poster
#8 Old 23rd Apr 2019 at 11:33 PM

How funny is that right? Because when the game start it is the Splash! screen of M&G I see. Well..it was called Splash screens in Sims 1...
Oh and @vegan_kaktus it is Open Volume Mixer I use that too at times, especially when testing stuff...so I can continue laughing at my stand up comic/humorists videos.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Forum Resident
#9 Old 24th Apr 2019 at 6:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
Oh and @vegan_kaktus it is Open Volume Mixer I use that too at times, especially when testing stuff...so I can continue laughing at my stand up comic/humorists videos.

Aahh that makes sense, thank you for telling me! :^D
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10 Old 24th Apr 2019 at 1:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
How funny is that right? Because when the game start it is the Splash! screen of M&G I see. Well..it was called Splash screens in Sims 1...

The splash screen image is contained in the UI.package files, and the scrolling text is in the UItext packages. The Splash.package in the sound folder only contains the start screen music. The Sps don't seem to have their own start screen music, so use the previous EPs music.
Alchemist
#11 Old 24th Apr 2019 at 2:28 PM

Also, possibly a dumb question, but why an hour?
Mad Poster
#12 Old 24th Apr 2019 at 2:31 PM
Oh I do hope this is not the time SimSample's game takes to load....lol (this is NOT funny...)

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#13 Old 24th Apr 2019 at 3:37 PM
Hehe, no it doesn't take that long! I just happened to have an MP3 of an hour of silence (no idea why) and I thought that would be good as there's no way anyone's game would take longer than that, so it wouldn't have to loop.
Alchemist
#14 Old 24th Apr 2019 at 8:37 PM Last edited by mdsb759 : 24th Apr 2019 at 8:52 PM.
any PACKAGE file seems to also work in Downloads folder.
only exception seems to be if the PACKAGE file has a different name than the installation file it is to replace.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#15 Old 24th Apr 2019 at 8:56 PM
S'true, but it seems a bit redundant to me to have the game read a file twice on loading, which is why I would replace the original after backing it up. Not sure the splash would work in the downloads folder anyway, as it is read on game startup.