Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Jul 2022 at 11:22 PM Last edited by chitownriverscum : 12th Jul 2022 at 4:51 AM. Reason: Clarity, plus additional info
Default SERIOUSLY old computer technology
Hiya. I need some old-timey computing equipment, to wit: any sort of tape-drive computers like you see in movies from the 60s... or was it the 70s? I think 60s might still have been punch-card computing. ANYhow...
I'd have to believe that it would not be functional, since I don't think Sims can use computers standing up, and in fact really wouldn't even have to be an actual 3D object at all... some wallpaper-type thing - perhaps a photomural - would suit me just fine. If actual earthbound antique computing technology is not to be found, I would accept sci-fi, as long as it was clunky-looking, as opposed to overly glitzy. Think Doctor Who from the 1970s, as opposed to that thing they call Doctor Who today.

Picture example below (which is obviously of the earthbound-type) ...
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 6th Jul 2022 at 11:36 PM
So this one? https://gardenofshadows.org.uk/gard...hp?topic=9861.0 Files look fine to me, maybe you can take a screenshot.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Jul 2022 at 2:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
So this one? https://gardenofshadows.org.uk/gard...hp?topic=9861.0 Files look fine to me, maybe you can take a screenshot.

That's the one, and it's in my downloads folder. I dunno, it's probably fine. I guess it might be a Mac thing: some package files have a gray "screen" icon, with the word "exec" written on them (indicating that they were intended for a Windows-based system?), and some just have the generic "paper file" icon. It probably doesn't actually make any difference... it's just that in my experience, the downloads that don't work mostly tend to have the generic icon... again, not that it's a direct correlation. ANYHOW, I cannot for the life of me find that terminal in my catalog. It's not with the computers, and it's not with the sculptures. I'll look again. I can't really recall whether it's actually supposed to function as a computer. Maybe it's really a table lamp or something.
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 7th Jul 2022 at 5:21 AM
@joandsarah77 - I think I know what the problem is: that fallout computer terminal object is only set to appear in residential lots, and I kind of want to use it in my public library, as a catalog computer. Growing up, my local library had a microfilm-based catalog, which was actually not as fast or easy to use as the plain old card system, and must've been a real pain in the neck to update, I'd imagine. Later on, we got some actual catalog computers, and they looked a little like the fallout terminal. I think it's odd that it's not community-lot approved, given the nature of some of the other stuff in that fallout collection. I don't have SimPE, or I'd try fiddling with it.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 7th Jul 2022 at 5:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by chitownriverscum
@joandsarah77 - I think I know what the problem is: that fallout computer terminal object is only set to appear in residential lots, and I kind of want to use it in my public library, as a catalog computer. Growing up, my local library had a microfilm-based catalog, which was actually not as fast or easy to use as the plain old card system, and must've been a real pain in the neck to update, I'd imagine. Later on, we got some actual catalog computers, and they looked a little like the fallout terminal. I think it's odd that it's not community-lot approved, given the nature of some of the other stuff in that fallout collection. I don't have SimPE, or I'd try fiddling with it.

Try this
Attached files:
File Type: rar  yuxi_obj-fallout3-terminalcomputer.rar (312.7 KB, 5 downloads)

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 7th Jul 2022 at 7:45 PM
Default Yay!
Try this

Thanks so much for that! This is just how I remember them. Still hoping someone will find me some more stuff like this. But I think they look pretty good.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 7th Jul 2022 at 11:22 PM
Only needed a number changing. Matches to the 4t2 cabinets well.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#9 Old 11th Jul 2022 at 9:51 PM
I've tested most of the download links as I wouldn't mind having computers that don't look so modern for my PEC and BACC.
Instructor
#10 Old 11th Jul 2022 at 10:33 PM
Instructor
Original Poster
#11 Old 12th Jul 2022 at 4:38 AM Last edited by chitownriverscum : 14th Jul 2022 at 1:57 AM.
Edit: the "Sinclair" computer from Numenor is indeed everything it claims to be. The Ghostbusters game even has 80s-style video game music. Very impressive, and totally plug-and-play. Unreal.