Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Apr 2022 at 5:06 AM
Default Location of Sims 2 Utilities and Programs
Where do you put your Sims 2 utilities and programs such as SimPE or Hood Checker? I tend to put them in the documents folder because it is easier for me to remember and I send a shortcut to desktop.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 14th Apr 2022 at 7:10 AM
I have a Workshop folder with a shortcut on my desktop. This contains, - or contains shortcuts to - all the Sims 2 utilities I have, also Blender, Paint.net etc. that I use for creating. It also contains my Projects folder (with subfolders for each project) a Tutorials folder with downloaded or copy/pasted tuts, a Pictures folder with the screenshots I took for upload and a Completed Projects folder with the compressorised and zipped final versions.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 14th Apr 2022 at 12:46 PM
I put them in the documents folder, but a Workshop folder sounds like a better idea, especially since I occasionally play and tune Sims 3 as well. My documents folder is definitely looking a bit untidy since I reinstalled both games.

I've been on this site since 10/10/10? I really ought to post more often.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 14th Apr 2022 at 9:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by othiym28
I put them in the documents folder, but a Workshop folder sounds like a better idea, especially since I occasionally play and tune Sims 3 as well. My documents folder is definitely looking a bit untidy since I reinstalled both games.

I only have Sims 2 on my laptop. I would have Sims 3 on my laptop but don't want to kill my poor laptop
Mad Poster
#5 Old 14th Apr 2022 at 10:09 PM
I have them in a Folder called Sims 2 Utilities in the root directory of my C: drive (i.e. C:\Sims 2 Utilities). Within my Sims 2 Utilities I have a subfolder for each creator, and then within that a subfolder for each utility. At the moment I only have utilities by Mootilda installed on my new computer, but used to have others on my old computer, and I'll eventually have them all on the new computer too. The ones I have so far are C:\Sims 2 Utilities\Mootilda\Hoodchecker and C:\Sims 2 Utilities\Mootilda\LotAdjuster.

It would probably make more sense to have put the Sims 2 Utilities folder in Documents, but I've been using PCs for a long time now, and I remember that in DOS and early Windows days the standard was to create a folder in the root of the C: drive for each program, and put both the program files and the documents for that program in that folder (the documents preferably in appropriately named subfolders). Of course in DOS days we didn't call them Folders: we called them Directories. (On my first PC I didn't even have a C: drive -- I only had A: and B: floppy drives, and the executable for any program I wanted to run had to be in one of them! Oh happy days!!)

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 15th Apr 2022 at 1:09 AM
I have most of my games installed in a top-level "Video Games" folder on my C: drive (so C:\Video Games), and I put various utilities for them - including Sims games - in a "Tools" folder under that, with shortcuts in relevant places.

WARNING: Professional Lurker Alert!
Quote:
"Ew, trees [WooHoo-ing]."

-- "Oral Pollination", Not Always Right