Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Custom Walls Repository & Index

by Numenor Posted 28th Apr 2005 at 5:06 PM - Updated 21st Mar 2017 at 8:48 PM by Numenor : Updated list of assigned ID's

373 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 356 Feedback Posts, 16 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 3 of 15
Test Subject
#51 Old 12th May 2005 at 9:50 AM
1000000000000000000000 times thanks
Test Subject
#52 Old 12th May 2005 at 10:04 AM
I have 1 other thing to say: THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS DOWNLOAD (I think it was an other file, sorry for the post!)
Lab Assistant
#53 Old 14th May 2005 at 8:42 AM
Hey I'm reporting back and I used the lite version and the game is still crashing. But when I lower the graphics settings it doesnt crash so maybe its not the walls. One thing I wanted to ask is if I upload a house with these windows and I use the invisible wall, what will happen if a person who downloads the home doesnt have this custom walls.txt?
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#54 Old 14th May 2005 at 2:52 PM Last edited by Numenor : 14th May 2005 at 2:55 PM.
The game replaces the "unknown" custom wall with another wall or fence, so your lot would be all messed up.
I made this mistake, once, and I had to rebuild the house from scratch: all my "unleveled" walls were replaced by iron fences!

The best you can do is placing the windows without a supporting wall (using the move_object cheat), so the users don't have to install the invisible wall.
Or you should alert the users that the lot needs the custom walls to be correctly displayed.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Test Subject
#55 Old 18th May 2005 at 9:28 PM
I had already modified walls.txt so that I could attach objects to foundation walls (which makes basements much more useful), so I just appended your definitions of custom walls to my existing walls.txt.

No problems found so far! :D
Lab Assistant
#56 Old 19th May 2005 at 9:06 AM
Is there any chance of them both being zip
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#57 Old 19th May 2005 at 9:15 AM
No, sorry; the downloads server is already under great stress, duplicating the attachments is not a good idea.

But read this very useful info:
http://forums.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=62041
Lab Assistant
#58 Old 19th May 2005 at 9:47 AM
Thanks Sorry if that was stupid Question
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#59 Old 19th May 2005 at 10:55 AM
Not at all. You may have read this from me many times: "There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers"
Lab Assistant
#60 Old 19th May 2005 at 1:45 PM
Thanks where do i thank you for your post
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#61 Old 19th May 2005 at 2:07 PM
Actually, I had to ask the Admins, to know about this new "Thank You" feature... LOL!
Anyway, there should be a "Thank You" button at the very end of the first post.
Lab Assistant
#62 Old 20th May 2005 at 3:48 PM
There are much difficult words! can someone make a dutch version for me, please???????
Lab Assistant
#63 Old 20th May 2005 at 3:49 PM
and from the "Wall-Window" glass set: Window/Door/Double Door (UPD 08-MAY) thread too?
Lab Assistant
#64 Old 20th May 2005 at 11:24 PM
Numeror:

I've just released my Build Tutorial, and the first part of it requires that users change requiresFlatTop and requiresFlatBottom to false on the normal walls. I've been using that tweak for months...

I don't think that's going to be a conflict with your post, however, since it's a tweak on the normal wall. It's useful for me to have as a builder, but people downloading my lots don't need it.

But I just thought I'd let you know! And... I have a hunch that it might cause issues? Haven't seen any yet though.

For reference, my Ultimate Architecture Tutorial can be found here.

And my old pagoda tutorial, which mentionned the same tweak, can be found in this thread
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#65 Old 21st May 2005 at 12:45 AM
Thanks for letting me know, though - like you say - there's absolutely no conflict with my custom walls. My "full" pack includes a custom "unleveled" wall, that uses those tweaks, but I decided to release a "light" wall pack without them, because some users experienced some (rare) crashes.

I guess that you've never experienced crashes due to the requiresFlatTop/Bottom tweak, since you use so extensively....

Thanks for the links, your tuts are always very interesting and useful.
#66 Old 21st May 2005 at 4:28 AM
I do not have the [gamedir]/TsData/Res/Config/Scripts.
I found that on the disk, and so I assume that the game runs from that, but I was wondering if anyone had any idea's on how I can fix this problem, so that I can replace the walls.txt file for the custom walls. any help would be appreciated.
Field Researcher
#67 Old 21st May 2005 at 7:12 AM
thanks so much :clap:
Forum Resident
#68 Old 21st May 2005 at 9:41 AM
do not look into your my documents folder, but into the directory you installed sims2.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#69 Old 21st May 2005 at 9:49 AM
Spaz-o-matic: I'm sure you have't looked in the right place; the came simply can't run without a "script" folder.

In a standard installation the path should be:
C:\Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\Catalog\Scripts

If you can't find it, perform a search (with Windows) for the file "walls.txt" in the whole C:\ disk (in case you have a custom installation and you don't know).
#70 Old 21st May 2005 at 1:29 PM
I did a search on my entire computer, and still no luck. it has to be running off the walls.txt that is on the disk. I know I did not do a custom install.
Lab Assistant
#71 Old 21st May 2005 at 4:33 PM
Is there anybody who can translate this all!
Lab Assistant
#72 Old 21st May 2005 at 4:34 PM
from those threads???
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#73 Old 21st May 2005 at 10:08 PM
FLYINGDUTCHMAN: sorry, I don't speak Dutch... Actually, I thought that English was a widely known language in the Netherlands...

SPAZ-O-MATIC: this is extremely odd! Try this:
1) Right-click on the Sims2 icon (the one that you use to start the game), choose "Properties" and then "Find destination": a window will open up;
2) go up level twice;
3) open the folder "The sims 2", then the folder "TSData", then "Res", then "Catalog" and finally "Scripts"
4) now check if there is a "walls.txt" (or simply "walls").

If you don't find it, you shouldn't be able to build any wall (when you select the wall tool, from the build menu, you aren't given any wall type to choose from).
In other words, the game can't work correctly without that file.
#74 Old 22nd May 2005 at 5:28 AM
I think what the problem is, is that my game is running off the walls.txt that is on the disk, because that dir is not on my comp at all (TSData\Res\Catalog\Scripts) I get to the sims2 folder but the rest is not there at all...but it is on the disk. I need to figure out a way to get everything off the disk onto my comp and then make the game run from my comp without the disk. I have been searching for a "no-disk" patch, but with no success as of late.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#75 Old 22nd May 2005 at 8:45 AM
When I installed the game, it didn't give me the option to run from disk: it automatically installed *all* the contents onto the hard disk.
Obviously, the game needs the CD inserted, in order to run, but only for protection, not to read system files.

If I were you, I'd reinstall the game: if you are given any option, choose to install everything on the hard disk: the game will load and run much faster, and you'll find the needed files to edit, when you need them.

There's no need to have no-disk patch (and remember that this subject is strictly forbidden here on MTS2, even if you are not going to commit any piracy).
Page 3 of 15