Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#51 Old 15th Apr 2007 at 1:38 AM
Great article. I've just made my first straight/diagonal curtain thanks to it (and a little help from Inge and Ignorant Bliss).

But I just thought I'd let you know that the downloadable PDF file still has the old screenshots from SimPE and not the new ones. Like a couple of other posters I was stumped when I couldn't copy the GUIDs in Object Data.
Advertisement
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#52 Old 15th Apr 2007 at 4:21 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I've updated the PDF now.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Field Researcher
#53 Old 28th Aug 2007 at 1:00 PM
Very Big Thank You For This Tutorial
big and bold THANK YOU for a big and bold person who willingly share his knowledges

Marjorie Dawes: Dust. Anybody? No? High in fat, low in fat? Dust. Anybody? No? Dust.
Anybody? No? Dust. Anybody? No? Dust. Anybody? No? Dust. Anybody? No? Dust. It's actually very low in fat. You can have as much dust as you like.
Sims Love to Run with Scissors, Simmers Love to Download.
Instructor
#54 Old 5th Oct 2007 at 11:17 PM
I have made it to this step so far in the tutorial:

"Now open the diagonal package and select the GMND; from the Blocklist, choose the "tsMaterialsMeshName" block. Select in turn each line of the Items list and paste the CRES reference into the "String" field. Commit each time."

My diagonal package and SimPE version are not showing "tsMaterialsMeshName" or a string field where I can insert the CRES reference. My blocklist has a drop down arrow and shows 0x1: glass, 0x2: tsNoShadow, 0x3: tsDesignModeEnabled, and 0x4: window. In the bottom right corner of the screen (when I select each of these) is another drop down arrow that has "Array" and an assorted list including "String" there, but there is no box. How do I enter the CRES reference name to link my textures for my diagonal window with my straight one?

By the way, I cloned the storybook single tile window for this project.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#55 Old 6th Oct 2007 at 3:42 AM
Wndy26 - Maxis never ceases to puzzle me... They "forgot" to set the diagonal window to take the colours from the straight one (like all the other windows).
You are not blind ; the tsMaterial block does NOT exist, so you have two options:
1) choose another window set and start anew;
2) or adding yourself the missing block (which is faster, in my opinion).
Read about adding that block to the GMND HERE (part B, steps 3, 4 and 5)

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Instructor
#56 Old 6th Oct 2007 at 3:14 PM
Thanks Numenor...I was sent by another member tho to MaryLou's window templates and they worked perfectly. All I had to do was import my meshes. No big deal. Using her templates though, it looks as though I could clone any window then extract the mesh and alter it some (since I am not too great at unique meshing, yet) - place it back into her templates and have a working window. Her template tutorial was basically the same as yours - just a dumbed down version (no hunting and pecking) LOL. I am still amazed at everything I seem to find on MTS2!
Instructor
#57 Old 15th Dec 2007 at 9:52 AM
Numenor, first of all, thank you so much for posting this! I wanted to add a little bit of information that I learned about when something didn't go right.

I cloned one of the basegame double doors (that contained a recolorable window) for my object and then used this tutorial to make it link to a diagonal for the recolors. In game I noticed that all of the frame/door recolors worked at both straight and diagonal but that the window recolors were only available in the straight mode. If I recolored the door while straight and then turned it diagonal the window would take the right recolor, but it just wasn't available to be changed while diagonal.

I mentioned this in the create chat and JasanaBugbreeder (my hero) told me to check the GMND and see if both the frame and the window were mentioned in tsDesignModeEnabled. I found that the window was NOT mentioned there, so I added it. Jasana also told me to check tsMaterialsMeshname to make sure it was linking to the right thing and I saw that the String for the window was not there, so I added it. Now all of the diagonal recolors show up. :-)
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#58 Old 16th Dec 2007 at 10:59 AM
Thanks for the useful specifications

Lab Assistant
#59 Old 2nd Sep 2008 at 2:02 PM
I have a question about the Quaint 2 tile curtains. I cloned the straight curtains, made my own mesh etc and they work fine in game. Note that they have 3 guids - the main guid and then 1 for part A and 1 for part B. Then I went to cloning the diagonal Quaint 2 tile curtains and notice that they have 5 guids. A main guid and then 2 guids for each tile - all in all it has 5. How do I link these up then? Or can't it be done at all and I would have to use a totally different diagonal 2 tile curtain? Would that even work? Thanks for any help.=)
Lab Assistant
#60 Old 3rd Sep 2008 at 7:57 AM
I figured it out myself late last night after opening the originals and comparing them. I thought I'd try the curtains in the game after swapping only the main guids around and they work fine. I initially thought that all tiles needed their guids swapped but that's not the case.
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#61 Old 5th Nov 2008 at 8:52 PM
yet another great tutorial, however, I have made a window that is basically taking all its textures from original game, - is it maybe an idea to mention in the tutorial that therefore you just need to add the refs to the game articles? (In the interest of tidy files as you explained to me yesterday evening?)

PS where is the Thanks button for the tutorial?
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#62 Old 5th Nov 2008 at 9:26 PM
I remember your window; but I don't understand (or don't remember) the "need to add the refs to the game articles". Basically, for your package, I suggested to remove things (subsets in the GMND and useless wallmasks), not to add anything; and we were not talking about linking straight and diagonal meshes...
Besides, your window was particularly complex, being it slave of two different external objects, so it's not a typical application of this tutorial.

Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#63 Old 5th Nov 2008 at 10:13 PM
Hi

I know you told me to take things out - and I did - but if I had not had the "experience" of being stuck and getting your help I might have done a lot of extra steps in the diagonalising (is that a word) of the windows, when indeed the diagonal also can link to the game objects (textures etc) directly from within the diagonal package, but I agree that maybe my window was a bit of an odd one. Maybe most people are creative enough to make their own textures but I am just BAD at textures so I pinch Maxis ones.
Page 3 of 3