Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Oct 2011 at 12:13 AM Last edited by Anniemaniac : 15th Oct 2011 at 1:39 AM.
Default Possibly my first upload - Feedback Please (updated)
I've built a house that I want to upload but I've never uploaded anything before and I'm quite nervous of having my house rejected so I'd like some feedback first.

I'm not altogether satisfied with the exterior and the gardens (I'm pretty terrible at doing gardens) so I'd love some tips to improve them because they just don't look right to me.

Here's some pics (I hope they show up they're not appearing when I 'preview' my thread...). I forgot to remove gridlines and the red pause frame - I hope that's okay for this thread. If I do end up uploading this house I will go back and take better pics.

Also, the floor plan pic is 'upside down', meaning that the front of the house is at the top and the back is at the bottom not the other way around as you might expect.

ETA: Finally(!) got the pics to show up.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 12th Oct 2011 at 6:39 PM
The exterior isn't too bad. I would get rid of the fence though. Maybe add some terrain paint to give off the forrest cabin feel or even add more bushes. I love the inside of the house. Nice and cozy for a couple.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 12th Oct 2011 at 6:55 PM
Which fence should I get rid of? The wooden one or the stone one, the one in the front or the one in the back?

I've also just realised that I've put a swing in the garden which, seeing as there's no room for a child, is pretty pointless... don't know why I didn't realise that sooner. Any ideas what I can put in it's place? A hot tub, perhaps?
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#4 Old 13th Oct 2011 at 12:31 AM
Cute house. I would get rid of the fence in front, and use just the stone fence in back. Leave the space where the swingset is open for gardening or put some garden plots in if you have seasons. And terrain paint! It's free. =) And the trees really need a bit of dirt/mulch under them.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 13th Oct 2011 at 3:53 AM
Pretty much what HL said.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 14th Oct 2011 at 6:06 AM
That is a nice looking house. I agree with HL as well. In addition, I'd move the trees around a little bit so they're not in rows. Small groupings in odd numbers look good too. This goes for just about anything, not just the trees.

Inspire. Dream. Hope. Believe. Imagine. Create.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 14th Oct 2011 at 11:41 AM Last edited by Anniemaniac : 15th Oct 2011 at 1:38 AM.
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll work on it a bit later tonight when I get home and try and get more pics up tomorrow.

Edit: Okay, I've been working on it for a few hours now and it's improved but I'm still not sure if it looks good. In my opinion, the front looks a bit bare and I'm not sure if that greenhouse makes the back seem over-crowded. I just don't know what else to fill the space with, but I've been trying so many different things that I can't even tell what looks good anymore so I need a second opinion or two.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 15th Oct 2011 at 4:09 AM
Its looking better. I'd download it as is, but maybe add a gate in the back yard? If you add some terrain paint to the entire yard, not just inside the fenced area it'd make it look less bare. You could try experimenting with some small hills/humps. I'm not sure if they'd work for this lot.

Test Subject
#9 Old 15th Oct 2011 at 4:20 AM
I've added some suggestions.

The bed spread and dust ruffle. If it's a separate piece of custom content, I suggest you take it off, and link to it if you really like it, or change the bed. There's some clipping that looks unnatural.

Okay, so the chairs. You've already got a table and chairs on the patio. I suggest either a bench, or maybe a lady bug house in that corner. Maybe some nice bushes or flowers.

Try some small raises in the terrain where I've marked? The trees look fine, but they'd look better on some little hills.

Maybe one, two, maybe three clicks in some places?

Overall, it's a very cute house. I would definitely download it, even as is.
Screenshots

I love turtles.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 15th Oct 2011 at 5:27 AM
Hmm. I think it needs more terrain paint of different variety. Try out the different grass paints. For the backyard, I would use some other type of flooring like stone or brick. A bit of some flower bushes in the front. I would take off the bedding; it looks off to me. I agree that a bench in the back is better since you already have a table and some chairs there.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 16th Oct 2011 at 12:07 AM
Ok, I've been playing around with terrain paint for at least 3 hours and I just can't get it to look good. It always looks messy. I just don't have the eye or skill to make it look nice.

I put some little hills in and put a bit more dirt under the trees but that's literally the best I can do and the front lawn still looks empty. I tried putting a pond in but it always ended up either too big or too boxy. I've tried putting more plants in but couldn't find a way of placing them that wasn't symmetrical or that I was happy with... *frustrated*.

I've also removed the wooden table and chairs and put some more plants in their place.
Screenshots
Test Subject
#12 Old 16th Oct 2011 at 2:23 AM
WOW!!

Definitely a great improvement.
I would totally download it.

I love turtles.
Instructor
#13 Old 16th Oct 2011 at 2:49 AM
Well plants are never symmetrical . Naturally (IRL) they will grow how they want to grow . Try arranging some bushes on the hills using cheats and try plotless flowers and rocks too if you have any

List of cheats to try:
Move_objects on (if you want you can use another set of flowers on the back to give a bit more color to the back garden)
SetQuarterTilePlacement On ( only works for M&G users use Control-F to use it )
Boolprop allow45degreeangleofrotation True ( I set my game to have this cheat on by default )
Boolprop Snapobjectstogrid False

The key is to be a bit random with the planting and gardening , but not too random and not too boring

(◐ω◑)
What kind of Sim loves like this?
(◐ω◑)
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 16th Oct 2011 at 3:45 PM
The fence-in backyard looks great. I would still try out some of the grass terrain paint and post a picture. The hills under the pine trees look great along with the dirt under them. I say that you're almost done with this lot.
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#15 Old 16th Oct 2011 at 10:25 PM
I think you did a really good job with the house. Nice roof. I like the interior color sets. The only thing that is missing there are some wall hangings/pictures/paintings, etc. Some kitchen clutter would be good also. At least a bowl of fruit or paper towel roll, etc. If you have problems with the terrain paints, you can use moveobjects on and put some low shrubbery under the trees.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 16th Oct 2011 at 10:34 PM
This looks great!

A hint on the terrain paints, start with a base grass over all of it (if you don't stay with what's there), then set your brush at an appropriate size (small lot, I'd use med or small) and at a medium to light strength. Try short sweeping clicks. (think Nike swoop). You don't need a lot, just a few splashes.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 17th Oct 2011 at 4:40 PM
Ok, I've added a few plants around the tree and put a bit more dirt under the fir trees and I've also changed the grass from the default one to something a little greener/slightly flowery... but I'm at a point now where it feels like the more I mess with it, the worse it gets. I've tried my best with terrain paint but I really feel like this is the best I can achieve at the point.
Screenshots
Test Subject
#18 Old 17th Oct 2011 at 4:45 PM
This house is so cute Something id want to download for sure, love the crazy paving path and the neat look of the place.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 17th Oct 2011 at 7:15 PM
Very nice! I think it looks great.

Lab Assistant
#20 Old 17th Oct 2011 at 8:19 PM
I think it looks great with the different grass paints and flowers. I would however make where the lot ends look like the default grass paint and what you use blend in more naturally instead of it being one paint and then it being another next to it. That's all I think you need to fix. Try uploading after the next edit you do.
Instructor
#21 Old 18th Oct 2011 at 3:42 AM
The terrain paint doesnt look bad . You might want to take the smallest brush and remoge a bit between the trees and add a bit of ight dirt between them instead , but thats an option .

(◐ω◑)
What kind of Sim loves like this?
(◐ω◑)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#22 Old 18th Oct 2011 at 6:04 PM
Thanks for all the help and advice guys!

I'm busy with uni now for the rest of the week so I won't be able to fix/upload anything until next week.
Locked thread | Locked by: Yogi-Tea Reason: do not delete - contains useful tips for noob lot builders