Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Jul 2021 at 9:20 PM Last edited by Naus Allien : 24th Jul 2021 at 10:13 PM.
Default The Sims 3: Smoothness Patch
PRESENTING: THE SIMS 3 SMOOTHNESS PATCH

Lazy Duchess made a patch to make the game's logic threads run faster. Default is 30 TPS (ticks per second) and she changed it to 1000 TPS.

It improves a lot of things. UI is much smoother, CAS items load faster, Create-A-Style loads faster and can be used without waiting for patterns to load, sliders are pretty smooth, etc.
Create A Sim loads faster as well. According to some tests, it loads 50% faster with this patch (time cut from 16 seconds to 8 seconds).

I recorded a quick video showing the loading of CAS items and Create-A-Style. I have every EP/SP and most of the Store content. Some categories load almost instantly (bottoms, shoes, accesories) and even the most bloated category (full outfits, aka 90% of the Store) loads in 10 seconds. If you don't have as much content as I do, it'll probably load faster. Create-A-Style runs even better now (it already ran pretty well on my PC).

DOWNLOAD HERE
Requires version 1.67 (Steam or retail). Not compatible with Origin games (1.69)
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#3 Old 23rd Jul 2021 at 10:08 PM
I just tried it out myself and... holy shit. IT ACTUALLY WORKS!

My game's already been pretty optimized for a while, as much as I could make it anyway, but this is amazing. Gonna keep playing with it for a while and see how this goes.

Thanks a bunch for sharing this info Naus.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 23rd Jul 2021 at 10:35 PM
I've been trying to find a way to use it with Origin, even tried Xenos Injector, nothing works. On 1.67, though, it's great! The feeling of "unstable" experience is finally gone!
Forum Resident
#5 Old 23rd Jul 2021 at 10:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mate54
I've been trying to find a way to use it with Origin, even tried Xenos Injector, nothing works. On 1.67, though, it's great! The feeling of "unstable" experience is finally gone!

According to LazyDuchess it won't work with Origin because it blocks dlls like this from working. Origin often has issues with any sort of thing like this.

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#7 Old 24th Jul 2021 at 1:12 AM
This mod is brilliant, I've been playing with it and it's so nice to be able to enter CASt without any lagging. Game running and loading more smoothly too. Slightly higher CPU temps, but I have an ancient CPU on this PC so your mileage may vary. Very cool, given the game a new lease of life!
Forum Resident
#9 Old 24th Jul 2021 at 1:50 AM Last edited by Jathom95 : 24th Jul 2021 at 2:52 AM.
I'm right there with you nitromon. This has been the best experience I've had playing in a loooong time. Someone needs to add a link to this to PCGamingWiki or SimsWiki or something. I consider it that essential now.

Too bad Pi hasn't been around lately. He'd love this if he were playing TS3 right now.

Edit: Seriously man, damn! Who would've thought this was all it took to iron out the worst hiccups of TS3 all this time?

Mad Poster
#10 Old 24th Jul 2021 at 4:18 AM
Thank you! I want to try this for sure. And this is another example of why I am so glad I stayed at 1.67.
Forum Resident
#11 Old 24th Jul 2021 at 4:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
Thank you! I want to try this for sure. And this is another example of why I am so glad I stayed at 1.67.

Same. Looks like keeping this disc install around had some merit after all!

Forum Resident
#13 Old 24th Jul 2021 at 4:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
I just refuse to give any company my personal information. They always want you to register the product, I'm like really? I never do that, even back in the days when I bought Sierra's King's Quest.

And besides that, there's just the ownership factor. People laugh at the concept of having physical media nowadays, but it's not so funny anymore once whatever service you're using stops selling or maintaining it. If you don't have a backup or it requires their service to run, you're SOL.

I've heard the spiel "Well it's not like physical lasts forever either..." No, but if you take care of your shit it will absolutely last as long as you need it to. I've never had any trouble keeping stuff running for years because I always take good care of whatever I buy.

Test Subject
#14 Old 24th Jul 2021 at 8:33 AM
I don't know if I am going crazy but I noticed a performance increase in simulation speed as well. It is not as noticeable as other areas, and the game still lags/pauses when it wants to lag, but when it doesn't want to lag, the third speed option is faster than I have ever seen it in my entire life for me.

One thing I am definitely sure of, is that this patch is fantastic!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#15 Old 24th Jul 2021 at 12:01 PM
@LazyDuchess We like this a lot!
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 24th Jul 2021 at 3:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
@LazyDuchess We like this a lot!

Thank you! Super happy to see it's improving the performance for everyone!
Top Secret Researcher
#17 Old 24th Jul 2021 at 6:00 PM
Wow, this is awesome. MY CAS seems a bit faster but it's never been much of a problem for me since I keep my CC there manageable. What I really love is that max speed is actually speedy! OMG, I might get more playing done in the little time I have.
Is it possible it would load a game faster? I noticed my third generation Riverview save with all my CC loaded in about 3 minutes. I don't usually check but it seemed at least a minute or two faster.
Texture loading seems faster too. Following a car around also. And OMG, reaction after clicking something is smooth all of a sudden. In my game, with older saves, I always have a small delay after I click something. All gone!
I have it set at 1000. My desktop build can handle a bit higher temps just fine.

Thank you @LazyDuchess! I can't tell you how much I appreciate this!

Lately, a lot of game changing mods/tools have come out and this is in excellent company.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 24th Jul 2021 at 11:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Just from a few tests, the performance increase is not linear and it tapers off the higher it goes. For example, the performance increase between 500 and 1000 is negligible, yet the CPU/heat increase were about the same. 1000 is still faster and smoother, but not by much. However, the performance increase between 30 (vanilla) and 60 is dramatic. This is why I commented earlier this mod is a necessity. All the basic increase, such as menu transition, map and camera movement, etc... benefit early. The higher the TPS goes then helps with hiccups and overall gameplay performance.

I'm doing longer test runs now, to get a more accurate feel of the performance. I can say on my system, 120 TPS is running extremely well with virtually no CPU/heat increase, at least very negligible. Yet the performance increase from 60 TPS to 120 TPS is dramatic in smoothing out hiccups. I think sometimes next week I'll double it to 240 and see if the performance increase is worth the CPU/heat increase, but for now 120 is quite good in performance/cpu balance on my system. Again, it will vary from system to system. I'm on a 9 yr old i7. But I strongly recommend people who monitor their systems to take advantage of the customization. The harder your CPU/GPU work and the more heat it generates, the shorter the life of the hardware system. Sims is not a normal game, as I think many runs it for hours on end.

Thanks again, Duchess, for making this and also making it customizable. :lovestruc

No problem! <3

Yeah it's true that the difference is not that massive between 500 and 1000 although, on my system at least, it is actually pretty noticeable so I've stuck with 1000 TPS.

It does vary quite a lot from system to system, some friends of mine with low end computers actually had the game run worse than vanilla at 1000 and once they lowered it to 500 it worked great, so you're 100% right about 500 being a good balance. Since then the default TPS in the configuration file is 500 and I've been modifying the comments on the file a little bit to make sure people can get the most out of the game

Quote: Originally posted by 310175
Wow, this is awesome. MY CAS seems a bit faster but it's never been much of a problem for me since I keep my CC there manageable. What I really love is that max speed is actually speedy! OMG, I might get more playing done in the little time I have.
Is it possible it would load a game faster? I noticed my third generation Riverview save with all my CC loaded in about 3 minutes. I don't usually check but it seemed at least a minute or two faster.
Texture loading seems faster too. Following a car around also. And OMG, reaction after clicking something is smooth all of a sudden. In my game, with older saves, I always have a small delay after I click something. All gone!
I have it set at 1000. My desktop build can handle a bit higher temps just fine.

Thank you @LazyDuchess! I can't tell you how much I appreciate this!

Lately, a lot of game changing mods/tools have come out and this is in excellent company.

You're welcome!

And yeah, the good thing about this mod is that it seems that almost all of the game's systems and resource logic is handicapped by default (Because EAxis), so using it does cut down on loading times and improves performance across the board.
Test Subject
#20 Old 25th Jul 2021 at 7:05 AM
Thanks @LazyDuchess, works wonderfully -- I'd love to know *how* it works too
Just tried this on my system (i7-10850H, GTX2070 Super Max-Q, 32gb RAM, SSD).

Game load time improved from 53s to 41s.
Save load time was unchanged at 1m04s.
In CAS switching clothes is now about 0.25s vs about 0.75s - 1.5s before.

One thing to note. If you get an error about failing to load the ASI (error 126), make sure you have the VC2015 redistributable installed.
Instructor
#21 Old 25th Jul 2021 at 7:16 AM
... And you are working on a Sims 2 Story Progression mod, too?!?! Wow. Wow. This is a game changer for Sims 2. I must investigate!
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 25th Jul 2021 at 8:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by epochtimestamp
Thanks @LazyDuchess, works wonderfully -- I'd love to know *how* it works too
Just tried this on my system (i7-10850H, GTX2070 Super Max-Q, 32gb RAM, SSD).

Game load time improved from 53s to 41s.
Save load time was unchanged at 1m04s.
In CAS switching clothes is now about 0.25s vs about 0.75s - 1.5s before.

One thing to note. If you get an error about failing to load the ASI (error 126), make sure you have the VC2015 redistributable installed.

That's great to know! Thank you!

The source code is available on Github if anyone's curious, it simply hooks the function the game's threads call to "sleep" and run at a low, fixed rate and instead forces the sleep time to be 1000 divided by the TPS, which returns the appropriate millisecond sleep time for the desired TPS.
Scholar
#23 Old 25th Jul 2021 at 4:58 PM
Blah, now I have to buy the game on Steam too. Well, or I suppose I could install it from the retail CDs, but I'm too lazy :p
Scholar
#24 Old 25th Jul 2021 at 5:12 PM
Anyone know if the Steam version at least uses the same directories under the documents folder? I'd rather not reinstall everything.
Test Subject
#25 Old 25th Jul 2021 at 5:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by epochtimestamp

HI there! And first, thank you Lazyduchess for a mod that appears to be the most awesome sims 3 mod since Nraas and AwesomeMod!

Unfortunately, I DO have the "Unable to load TS3Patch.asi. Error: 126" message. I fisrt tried removing 3booter and FPS limiter since I thought it might be that, and then installing the VC2015 redistributable. Nothing works. I am on patch 1.67.
Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? I so desperately want to try out this patch!
Page 1 of 7