Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Oct 2022 at 9:27 PM Last edited by lucy kemnitzer : 11th Oct 2022 at 9:56 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default A problem I made myself, moving documents folder (solved)
Please have patience with the backstory. It's necessary background to the question. TL/DR: I moved my documents folder and now I think I need to know how to create a new path for it to the game.

I have a new install on a new windows 10 computer. Unlike my last (laptop) windows 10 computer, this (desktop) windows 10 computer shoved everything into OneDrive without my noticing (I mean that OneDrive was not set as a folder that everything had a pointer to, it was on top of the whole hierarchy for the computer, containing literally everything) . I panicked when I did notice that all my downloads were going into OneDrive, but I didn't notice how very weird the setup was. I moved the folders that I could see out of OneDrive and into the user directory, and deleted OneDrive.

Yes, it was a big error, as I discovered when I saw that all the desktop icons were gone. I found the recycle bin in the file explorer and restored OneDrive so that the desktop now works, so that I think that attempt worked. Not wanting to deal with OneDrive on a regular basis, I didn't put the documents folder back there. But I forgot all about the game's path! It's taken me some days to figure out why my Sims 3 documents folder isn't updating with cache files and my mods framework isn't having any effect. The game is saving, though, so I figure a new documents folder must have been generated...but I can't find the OneDrive folder to see if it is there. I did see OneDrive after I restored it. I did see the effect of restoring it (my desktop returned to functionality). The (un-modifiable) link to the default Documents folder in the left panel of the File Explorer window still leads to an error message that the folder can't be found. The game is functioning normally and saving properly, I just can't access my mods except for the few I installed as Sims3Packs (counters mainly). Playing without Nraas is especially weird.

My goal: make my computer operate normally, without using OneDrive.

My questions are: 1. How do I create a pathway for the game to the Documents folder that I want it to use?
2. What steps should I have taken instead to remove all my files from OneDrive?
3. Any tips for finding the place where the game is currently saving things?

EDIT:
I have my answer for 1 and 3. The computer created a new directory I had never seen before, Users/Public/ Public Documents/Electronic Arts. I can use that. Maybe I don't need the answer to 2, since I have a usable directory that I can find.