Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

[OUTDATED] BaseGameStarter Pro v.2.5

by Numenor Posted 5th Nov 2006 at 2:29 PM - Updated 27th Nov 2013 at 9:16 PM by Nysha

Closed Thread Locked by: Numenor Reason: Get the new AGS at [url]http://www.modthesims2.com/download.php?t=250555[/url]
332 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 331 Feedback Posts
Page 13 of 14
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#301 Old 31st Oct 2008 at 9:25 AM
Thanks for the additional info; I'm going to reply by PM, because this doesn't seem a problem strictly related by the BGS, and anyway I start feeling silly going on talking in English between us

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Instructor
#302 Old 31st Oct 2008 at 4:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
But then, when you run the full game and there are no neighborhoods, this can only mean that the game looks for the neighborhoods in a different folder, not C:\Users\XYZ\Documenti\EA Games, But WHERE? When the full game runs, it must create at least a Config folder somewhere: I'd like to know where...

Might look in C:Documents and settings/All Users/Shared Documents for an EA Games folder.

I had some difficulty with my desktop icon last week and kept starting a default game that had only the Maxis hoods and none of my custom ones. I have only one account and could not imagine why my neighborhoods disappeared. I found the second game in the above location.

Did you miss my problem in post 298?
Test Subject
#303 Old 2nd Nov 2008 at 11:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
... First off, I noticed a bug (my fault) in the "Up to FT" game: please don't use it until I update the BGS. ...

Probably my bad, but I haven't seen anything saying if this bug was fixed or not.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#304 Old 3rd Nov 2008 at 8:19 AM Last edited by Numenor : 3rd Nov 2008 at 8:45 AM.
hedgekat - Yes, I missed your post, sorry.
Multi-account installation are hard to deal with, because some elements (of the game and the BGS) are shared between all the users, and some other are stored in the "personal" folders.
The game, for example, is installed in the Program Files folder, that is shared; and the Registry keys used by the game are in the Local Machine section, thus shared. But the save-game folder is personal, being it stored in the specific user Documents.
As for the BGS, the situation is similar: all the mini-games are saved in the personal Documents folder, but the Registry keys (temporarily modified in order to play the mini-games) are in the Local Machine registry.

I really can't guess what happens to a neighborhood when you install a new EP using a different account... In your previous installation (before the crash), you installed BV in one account, and then played an "Up to SSN" game with the second account; my guess is that the second game was updated to BV, too, the first time you played it.

Another thing that I can't know is whether you have correctly used the BGS in your dual-account environment. The BGS installer must be run on both accounts at the same time, and it must be run again on both accounts when a new EP is added: did you do that?

Apart from the hypotesys of a corruption of the backup, I do think that the crashing neighborhood is to be considered a "Bon Voyage" neighborhood, because you played it at least once after installing BV on the other account.

Ancienthighway - Thanks for reminding me! No, the "Up2FT" mini-game is still buggy. I've already prepared an update, and I will post it soon. In the meantime, using the BGS is safe, as long as you don't run the Up2FT game.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Field Researcher
#305 Old 8th Nov 2008 at 7:24 AM
--------------------Help!----------------

What is wrong? I have Windows XP. But can´t get Basegame Starter to run the base game. Start fullgame doesen´t work at all. I have tryed inserting the base game cd and pets. No change. I allways get message I have the wrong cd.

I have the basegame (ofcourse), family fun, open for business and pets.

Just tryed agen and I get the following message:

C:\Progra~1~Eagame~1\Thesim~1\Sim2EP4.exe

File can´t be found or it´s corrupted.

...I haven´t totally messedupp my game, have I? What´s wrong and how do I fix it?
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#306 Old 8th Nov 2008 at 10:03 AM
Please post here your (zipped) AppFiles folder. You can find it in (Documents)\BaseGameStarter.

Field Researcher
#307 Old 8th Nov 2008 at 2:14 PM Last edited by Aucaria : 8th Nov 2008 at 2:27 PM.
Did you ment: C:\Documents...? The Basegamestarter seems to be in My documents folder! (But so is my Sims2!) I did not do enything unusuall while installin the basegamestarter. I did not change eny of the ready choocen options! Should I have?

Here is the App...
Attachments Pending Approval
File Type: rar AppFiles.rar
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#308 Old 8th Nov 2008 at 3:00 PM Last edited by Numenor : 8th Nov 2008 at 3:21 PM.
Thanks for the AppFiles; let me check it.

I said "(Documents)" instead of "C:\Documents..." because each user and each Windows version may have a different path to the Documents folder.

EDIT:
The fact that the path to your "My Documents" folder contains a dot may cause some problems.
However, try the attached file, to see if the BGS works fine: download the attached zip and unpack it to your AppFiles folder, overwriting the existing file.
Then try running both the base-game and the Full game, and tell me what happens.
NOTE: if you see an error message, please copy it exactly: the message
"C:\Progra~1~Eagame~1\Thesim~1\Sim2EP4.exe
File can´t be found or it´s corrupted
."
can't be exact, you must have made a mistake while copying it.
File Type: zip For_Aucaria.zip

Field Researcher
#309 Old 8th Nov 2008 at 5:17 PM
Thank you. I will try.
P.S I had to translate the error message from finish to english.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#310 Old 8th Nov 2008 at 5:47 PM
As for the message, I meant the part: "C:\Progra~1~Eagame~1\Thesim~1\Sim2EP4.exe"

Between "Progra~1" and "Eagame~1" there should be a "\" instead instead of a "~"; and the number after "Thesim~" should be 3, not 1: are you sure it's 1? I ask because in the AppFiles you sent me, the path is perfectly correct:
"C:\Progra~1\Eagame~1\Thesim~3\Sim2EP4.exe"

In any case, if the game still doesn't work, please post again the AppFiles.

Field Researcher
#311 Old 9th Nov 2008 at 1:03 PM Last edited by Aucaria : 9th Nov 2008 at 1:16 PM.
I´m pretty sure it was "\Thesim~1" not "\Thesim~3". Because I wrote it down on paper. But it´s always possible I just made a mistake. After installing the stuff you gave me, everything works fine!

Tryed just the basegame and also the fullgame option. No problems enymore!

Thank you so much for helping a dumb novise and so soon too. <3

((((( a very big hug to you and kisses)))) ...pusi, pus * :lovestruc
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#312 Old 9th Nov 2008 at 5:09 PM
OK, problem solved then. Just remember to keep a copy of the special file I gave you in a safe place: whenever you use the AGS installer, that file will be overwritten with the one that doesn't work for you, and you have to copy it again in the AppFiles folder.

Instructor
#313 Old 16th Nov 2008 at 7:03 PM
Hi!
First of all I think I should not forget to tell you what an outstanding idea and result you're offering here. The BGS is one of the most useful tools for the Sims 2 I know

Unfortunately I had a problem with it today. It loaded as always but then when I came in the Mini Game neighbourhood view my screen went dark and then my computer told me that it detected an error and restarts to prevent sytyem damage ...
It worked well before and the only difference I can figure out is a new download I wanted to test but I tried it again without any downloads and the system crashed down again.
I have Win Vista and at the moment only Basegame and BV installed. Do you know what the problem is??? I'm sorry but I was so shocked that I immediately unsinstalled the BGS after the second crash and so I cant provide the AppFiles . I hope that it is possible to find out what was wrong anyway.
Best Regards jon119
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#314 Old 16th Nov 2008 at 9:17 PM
I've never heard (and I find difficult to believe) that the BGS could cause a computer crash. A game crash, of course, would be different, but what you describe seems something related to the RAM or the graphic cards. Have you played the full game since then?

Instructor
#315 Old 17th Nov 2008 at 8:17 AM
Yes, I played the Full Game and it worked fine. Perhaps I should make clear that the BGS didn't cause a real game crash. There was just a message that an error was detected and the operating system was restarted. It always happened some seconds after I came in the neighbourhood view of the BGS.

I don't think that it's your fault, if there was never a similar incident it is certainly a problem of my PC...

I'll reinstall the BGS soon and will report here if the error comes up again.

Best Regards jon119
Top Secret Researcher
#316 Old 17th Nov 2008 at 11:00 AM
Thanks again for keeping up with updated versions of this must-have.

I know I can't do it, but I'm still going to do it. - M. C. Escher
Test Subject
#317 Old 20th Nov 2008 at 11:19 PM
Is it normal that it never load the custom content when I use the Base game starter? I wanted that because I just installed the store ed. today, and if I was exited of the new features (especially the building ones which are from certain eps, and I only have base game otherwise) now I'm frustrated with it. As long as I enable the custom content with the pop up window, which also detect and list all custom items, the game takes forever to load any lot, even empty terrains...and for some reasons if i disable it, but then custom content is enabled in the main options....it still enables all custom hair/clothes/make up/genetics/walls/tiles/fences. But then the lots loads fine...It seems to me that the game can be happy with all custom content that can be made via Bodyshop/homebuilder, but doesnt like items which need SimPE to be made.

Does anyone know any remedy to these issues?

thx.

+Prince Medion+
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#318 Old 21st Nov 2008 at 11:25 AM
I'm not sure to understand the problem... Or better, I don't understand if the loading problem occurs with your full game (original+store ed.) or with the BGS mini-game (original only).

If the latter, keep in mind that:
  • the Store Ed. is always deactivated in the BGS mini-games; this means that if you only have original + store ed., the BGS can install for you only the "BaseGame only" mini-game;
  • by default, the mini-games come with an empty Downloads folder, separated from the main game Downloads; this speeds up greatly the loading of the mini-games, but of course you will not see any custom content in the mini-game, unless you manually copy files from your main Downloads to the mini-game Downloads;
  • if you copy files from the main Downloads, be sure to copy only files that are compatible with that specific mini-game (in this case, files compatible with the base-game).

If the problem affects the full game (and not the BGS mini-games), then I don't know what to suggest; the BGS doesn't modify your full game.

Instructor
#319 Old 22nd Nov 2008 at 7:43 PM
Hi,
I just wanted to tell you that I *finally* reinstalled the BGS and it worked fine now. When the problem occured it always crashed down even before the neighbourhood welcome message appeared but I can't imagine that it had to do with it.
Best Regards
jon119
Test Subject
#320 Old 24th Nov 2008 at 10:10 AM
So I'm trying to use this to create a house using only the base game. When I install Sims 2 Deluxe I get an error saying I'm using the wrong disc, insert AL. I insert AL, I get an error telling me to insert Deluxe.

This is frustrating.
File Type: zip AppFiles.zip
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#321 Old 24th Nov 2008 at 2:32 PM
newsteenfan, and anyone experiencing the "wrong disk" error: please hold on, the new BGS version will have an additional option to be activated when the standard installation is affected by the "wrong disk" error. It's not my fault: it's Windows that reacts differently (probably depending on the version) to the "wait" command.

Test Subject
#322 Old 25th Nov 2008 at 8:43 AM
Thank you Numenor, I appreciate it. And no, of course it's not your fault. It's that blasted Microsoft.

You do a fine job with your creations and it's much appreciated.
Mad Poster
#323 Old 26th Nov 2008 at 8:59 PM
I'm having problems...
I ran my game earlier today before installing the BGS and it ran fine. When I first installed the BGS and tried to play just the base game with the newly created desktop icon I was told to insert CD 1. After doing so I was told to insert my AL disk. Then again after OK-ing. Then I was told to insert disk 1. Then the base game splash screen appeared. Then I was told to insert my AL disk and the game closed.
I used the BGS setup to remove the BGS from my machine. My game would still not get past the loading screen when I tried to run it with my AL disk from the official AL icon.
I came and read these posts for a bit and decided to reinstall the BGS to see if it was just me being unlucky.
Here is what my game is currenly doing when I try to play:
If I use the 'Start BaseGame' icon, nothing happens. My computer doesn't even attempt to check the right disk is in.
If I use the 'Start FullGame' icon then I get the following error message; "Windows cannot find 'C:\Documents'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click on the Start button, and then click Search."
If I try to run my game from the official desktop icon then I am presented with the PLAY button, which I press. The game loading screen then appears and the music begins. My game then never gets any further though as the loading bar does not fill. The only way for me to exit is with the Task Manager which tells me The Sims 2 Apartment Life is not responding.

I have all games installed except for H&M, Mansion & Garden, and any holiday packs.
I've attached my AppFiles folder below in a .rar.
File Type: rar MenacemanAppFiles.rar

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Test Subject
#324 Old 27th Nov 2008 at 6:28 AM
When I uninstalled it, and I played Sims 2, it told me how FreeTime was uninstalled, so Hobby Lots would be inaccessible or something. :/ Most, if not all, FreeTime outfits and hairs were taken out, but some objects remain and so does the neighborhood that came with it
Mad Poster
#325 Old 27th Nov 2008 at 6:31 PM
My game seems to be running again now but I've had to remove the BGS, reinstall Apartment Life, replace my backup files and remove a FullGame.id file that didn't seem to get removed when I uninstalled the BGS so my game finally loads again now.

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Closed Thread
Page 13 of 14