Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#26 Old 12th Jul 2006 at 4:38 PM
ummm
i cant open my body shop
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#27 Old 12th Jul 2006 at 5:25 PM
... that's not really related to this tutorial, though, oreardon94. I suggest you read the FAQs in the Game Help section for that.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 12th Jul 2006 at 10:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
That can happen if, for some reason, the files within the folder have invalid filenames. I've had Windows Explorer and Photoshop crash when opening certain directories containing files with long, odd filenames (created from exporting a .png image from SimPE, but I suppose it could happen coming out of Body Shop too).

What hair are you recolouring that's doing this? If it's a custom hair that's a recolour of a recolour of a recolour (i.e. a project made from a project made from a project - gone in and out of Body Shop several times) that may be causing the long invalid filename problem.

Long odd file names? It happens with all hair projects on my computer (WinXP) regardless

KOOOL!!!
Feeder of Cheesecake to Llamas
retired moderator
Original Poster
#29 Old 13th Jul 2006 at 1:12 PM
>Are< you getting any error message?

"Living well is the best revenge. . ." George Bernard Shaw
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 13th Jul 2006 at 5:32 PM
Nope, nada. Lastnight I tried to recolor some hair (in XP) and it sort of worked by creating a zipfile of the folder, deleting the alpha files in the rar file, unzipping elsewhere, recoloring, rezippping as a rar file and unzipping each bmp one at a time and hoping my zip program wouln't crash each time.

KOOOL!!!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#31 Old 13th Jul 2006 at 8:33 PM
This sounds like something way bigger than what should be addressed in this tutorial. Maybe you should start a new thread in the Skinning forums so it gets a bit wider exposure, maybe someone who's had the same problem will spot it and be able to help.

Lab Assistant
#32 Old 13th Jul 2006 at 11:42 PM
Ok, I will. Thankyou

KOOOL!!!
Test Subject
#33 Old 14th Jul 2006 at 5:03 AM
.....i...nowonder..la...i...don..have...the..photoshop....erm...where..to...buy..it...and...how..much?

WoNdErStAr.....
retired moderator
#34 Old 14th Jul 2006 at 5:06 AM
...you... might try... google...or reading... the skinning...faq...at the...top of this... forum...why...do...you...type...like...this?

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Test Subject
#35 Old 18th Jul 2006 at 6:12 AM
Jasmin206, you don't have to buy it. Well, you do, but you can try a 31-Day risk free trial, but you would have to create an Acrobat account.
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 25th Jul 2006 at 3:23 AM
I just want to tell you thank you for the tutorial. I'm saving this forever, because I'll never remember it offhand xD. But thanks for it anyway! After three or four tries, I finally got it to work. I had to use ImageReady and Paint to save it, but I got it done.
*Goes off to check the file in her game to make sure it works*
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 27th Jul 2006 at 12:42 PM
Am I the only one here who does not get a word of this??

Faylen; you go straight from being in photoshop to having your project loaded into Bodyshop, have you not thought for other people who dont find it as obviouse as others, that you should explain: where to save your file, which files you need to save and if it needs a certain name.. how you load your project into bodyshop. I have tried on numerouse occasions to get my way around Bodyshop and I still cannot seem to do so. Plesae could you elaborate on these points.

Sorry to sound abit brash but im getting abit fedup of these people who cant write tutorials, (no, i am not saying you are one of them) and never seeming to help any newcomers. Everyone has been raving about the tutorials on this site; saying they are especialy good, so i was abit dissapointed to see that you have not covered all the areas. If you could please help me out of my stupid state it would be much appreciated

Thankyou for listenin to my rants :P

Frangellica x
retired moderator
#38 Old 27th Jul 2006 at 10:19 PM
Frangellica, if this is confusing you, go back and try the clothing recolouring tutorials. She explains how to load your project into Body Shop in this tutorial, but if you're getting confused about the rest, maybe you need to go do something simpler, more basic.

Test Subject
#39 Old 31st Jul 2006 at 9:12 PM
i really think this would be a great turtorial, if i just could see the pictures :S
Test Subject
#40 Old 31st Jul 2006 at 9:25 PM
How come i cant see the pictures?

Hilary Duff on the sims 2 pets!
yay
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#41 Old 31st Jul 2006 at 9:51 PM
Actually they were all at the bottom, but a change in the thumbnail servers broke them in the text. All fixed now.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Test Subject
#42 Old 1st Aug 2006 at 12:06 AM
Default Re: Your hair recoloring tutorial.
Awesome!!! (as usual!)

I've learned so much from your many tutorials!

I'm overwhelmed at the amazing talent and generosity of all the creators... much less the TIME you must spend creating and writing tutorials!

The rest of us wouldn't have a prayer without your guidance.

THANK YOU,
Dara Hinson
aka Darsky
Texas, USA :D
Test Subject
#43 Old 1st Aug 2006 at 3:27 PM
I can see the pictures a miracle ;P thx so much. this will help me so much <3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#44 Old 3rd Aug 2006 at 7:17 PM
Frangelica, the reason that you're confused is that this tutorial is based on the assumption that you read the leveled tutorials stickied at the top of the forum. Clothing is the simplest, most basic thing you can recolor in body shop, so all the techniques are covered using clothing in the first four tutorials. Everything below the stickies assumes a certain level of knowledge, which is why at the beginning I state "just like clothing". . . The assumption is that you're going to learn the easy stuff first and then go to more complex techniques. If we were to make every single tutorial an absolute beginners' tutorial, some of them would run on for hundreds of pages.

Test Subject
#45 Old 4th Aug 2006 at 5:51 AM
Always think Reolor hair is a difficult matter Oh, read this guide, I would go back is to try and try. Thank you
Lab Assistant
#46 Old 4th Aug 2006 at 11:16 PM
Your tutorial is awesome, thanks! Just a question though... Sometimes the recoloured hair appears to be blurry...is this normal? It's just not as detailed as the original mesh.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#47 Old 5th Aug 2006 at 1:23 AM
Blurry, pixelated - the fix is linked in the Skinning FAQs thread.

Test Subject
#48 Old 5th Aug 2006 at 5:32 AM Last edited by whiteswan1688 : 5th Aug 2006 at 5:42 AM.
hi faylen,

let me thank you first for posting so many great tutorials for us... i didn't have any prior experiences on image editing before but i somehow managed to learn the basic recoloring on clothes in 5 min...wow... i really impressed myself!

however i am kind of stuck when i tried to do the selective recoloring since i am using a PaintShopPro, not Photoshop... even though both programs are similar, but i couldn't find the "fill" function in PSP...or maybe it's in another wording or something...

so i was wondering if you could be kind enough to give us the same tutorials you provided before IN PSP... i know it's a lot to ask but of all the other tutorials out there, i only read yours because you explain things the best... but if you are busy and don't have time to do all that, that's all right too...

god bless you for all those great jobs you have done!

:lovestruc
retired moderator
Original Poster
#49 Old 6th Aug 2006 at 3:54 PM
Yes, it would be pretty amazing if I did that. However, then I'd also have to learn GIMP, Paint.net, CorelDraw. . .you get the picture.

Look, I was known for years as the Turnip Queen - completely inept in all things computer. I taught myself everything, simply by trial and error, and googling tutorials (even unrelated ones). If I can do it, so can you, and I think you'll retain it better, too, if you just play around and see what you can do.

Test Subject
#50 Old 9th Aug 2006 at 8:57 AM
Hi Falyen,

I will take your advise and try to learn Paintshop Pro on my own. But before I even do that, I am trying to learn Photoshop first with your tutorials now. I figure that once I know how to use the harder program, it would be easier for me to master in PSP... And maybe pretty soon, I will come up with my own tutorials on PSP...

But just one quick question though, do you know if PSP is the second most popular editing program that simmers use for skinning and recoloring? There are just tons of editing programs out there and I don't know which one to download... Maybe you could give me an idea...

Lastly I just wanna say that you really did a good job on those basic clothing tutorials... I am almost done with the 4th one... Actually, they should call you the "Turnip Goddess!!!"

:-)

WhiteSwan
Page 2 of 7