Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Apr 2022 at 2:48 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default How do you handle family relationships in terms of different neighborhoods?
I'm curious if there is anyone else who doesn't use NRass Traveler to move their families around, as in connecting worlds or using NRass Porter to keep everything the same.

Originally, my families started in Sunset Valley and I moved them all to Moonlight Falls with their familial connections still intact. I don't use any kind of story progression, which means I have to micromanage the neighborhood's population among other things. Preferably I keep my count around 80-85 Sims and when it gets to those numbers, I decide who to move somewhere else. Or just move in general if I want them to travel or look for a new home and life. Playing this way means my family trees become obsolete and/or incomplete. I'm constricted to just using parents/children/siblings to reconnect those types of kinship but everything else, so it is said, isn't possible.

So then I think what I want is to be able to move more than those familial connections within one or more neighborhoods, but I don't want my families getting involved romantically. Since the game was not designed in a way where you could connect worlds together in a fluent manner such as The Sims 2 and all relationships would still be there, it can't be done...unless with mods. So then what's the compromise?

Well, as long as the game recognizes Sims as being related, regardless of kinship, that automatically solves that issue. So I'm thinking to assign relatives as siblings despite them not actually being siblings whenever parents aren't present in the world. As long as I keep track of my own documented family trees and know who's who then does it really matter if the in-game kinship doesn't match? Gameplay wise, I don't think an aunt and nephew would act any different than a brother and sister anyway. It's not exactly what I want but I guess it isn't the worse trade-off.

Going through one of my largest family trees, so far I have: great-grandparents, first cousins once removed, half-siblings, half-aunts/uncles, grandaunts/uncles, cousin-in-laws, step-mom. Probably getting a little too detailed but oh well, lol.

Previous Game: Batman Arkham City GOTY Edition (Hard Mode: Y!? All side missions and Riddler trophies/riddles/physical challenges completed in the main campaign.)

Next Game: Batman Arkham Knight
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 28th Apr 2022 at 3:53 AM
I use porter. So I usually pack the ones I want to keep a relationship together in one pack with Porter. I get into a new neighborhood and select a random household that's already in the world to start. Then I click on another house to unpack my sims I packed with Porter. Check my family to make sure everyone has the relationship they are supposed to. If I forgot to pack someone in with them I bring them in (I pack with porter a few different family/househould combos) If a relationship is severed because I didn't do it right. I will select a sim A make it the active sim. Click on Sim B (that I lost the relationship with) and bring up Nraas > Debug Enabler > Phone Options (Sim Options) > Relationship and select the relationship status back to what it was. I'm not sure if this is what you are asking.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Apr 2022 at 7:07 PM
These relationships are good to know I can reconnect if I come across losing it in the future. Thank you for sharing. But what I was referring to is familial bloodlines and/or by marriage connections such as this list below from here:
-https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Family_relationships

List of Family Relationships in The Sims 3:

Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandchild
Grandparent
Grandchild
Aunt/Uncle (Relationships for Grand Aunt/Uncle don't show)
Niece/Nephew (Relationships for Grand Niece/Nephew don't show)
Parent
Child
Sibling
Cousin (first cousins only)
Parent-In-Law
Child-In-Law
Sibling-In-Law
Step-Parent
Step-Child
Step-Sibling
Half-Sibling

What I want to do is move these 3 Sims to Bridgeport. Gene, Kin and their sister Angel (All are Gen 3).

However, there is already a relative present in Bridgeport which is Hunter (Gen 2) and he is their uncle. Without the proper tags of uncle/nephew/niece, along with many other family ties, the other option it seems would be to assign them as siblings. So there isn't any chance of them getting romantically involved and the game would recognize them as a familial connection. I tried looking up if anyone created a script mod that may tag any Sim as related with all of TS3 family relationships available from in-game, but I couldn't find anything...though that doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't exist but maybe not. I did come across a few others looking for the same thing but nothing, so it seems, to be able to have that much more control and options in TS3. I either assign my Sims as siblings or pick another world. Which I may do since I haven't exactly moved those Sims yet.
Screenshots

Previous Game: Batman Arkham City GOTY Edition (Hard Mode: Y!? All side missions and Riddler trophies/riddles/physical challenges completed in the main campaign.)

Inventor
#4 Old 28th Apr 2022 at 7:33 PM
So with Porter do you have the father still alive? You could pack the 3 siblings with their father. Unpack them in Bridgeport and assign the relationship of the uncle as a sibling to the father and then remove him from the game. Once you are done you could then pack them with the now assigned uncle to keep that for the future. Not sure if this is what you are trying to get to. You could also pack them with the father and uncle and split them out for placement in the world after the releationships are set. If maybe that's what you are trying to do? Is to get the Uncle back established as the Uncle after you place them. If you are missing the father you could use a random sim to perform the same process but it will not be the same family tree in game if that bothers you at all.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#5 Old 29th Apr 2022 at 8:01 PM
Yes, the father is still alive and I make a backup of all my Sims and I can easily retrieve their Sim file. Problem is, in order for the nephew and niece family relationship to stay means that their father must be present in the world or else upon removing him will also remove any kinship as well, making them all acquaintances. The way that the game is programmed to play out is based on one world at a time, except for China, France and Egypt travel system which allows relationships to resume. If The Sims Studio didn't incorporate this feature into other worlds, then maybe it was for a performance reason. Such as to why Sims teleport in and out of cars and driveways unlike TS2.

It would be so amazing to have a mature, realistic life simulator without the tradeoffs...even if it meant I couldn't play it. I could barely even play TS3 when it came out, lol.

Inventor
#6 Old 30th Apr 2022 at 12:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Deshong
Yes, the father is still alive and I make a backup of all my Sims and I can easily retrieve their Sim file. Problem is, in order for the nephew and niece family relationship to stay means that their father must be present in the world or else upon removing him will also remove any kinship as well, making them all acquaintances. The way that the game is programmed to play out is based on one world at a time, except for China, France and Egypt travel system which allows relationships to resume. If The Sims Studio didn't incorporate this feature into other worlds, then maybe it was for a performance reason. Such as to why Sims teleport in and out of cars and driveways unlike TS2.

It would be so amazing to have a mature, realistic life simulator without the tradeoffs...even if it meant I couldn't play it. I could barely even play TS3 when it came out, lol.

I agree but does just killing off the dad break the relationship? I thought as long as his headstone was in the world the relationship stays in the family tree or you could bring him into the world with the kids and just kick him out so he becomes a townie but you don't have to worry about him.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#7 Old 1st May 2022 at 12:40 AM
Oh, I just total annihilated him to rule out that wouldn't work as I wouldn't want my Sims to think he's dead, though yes and no but a copy version of him. I'm not that adamant about the familial connection and likely I will attempt to find a small or medium-sized custom content free city world to download.

The father I want to continue to live in Roaring Heights, while two of his sons and daughter I wanted to move to Bridgeport. I move some of my Sims around from neighborhood to neighborhood so I'm just breaking some of my family trees as I really don't want to be limited to just one world. The unfortunate tradeoff is losing all relationships but at least I can reconnect parents, children and siblings.

Inventor
#8 Old 1st May 2022 at 5:00 PM
I agree. I wish they had a better tree line to connect your sims back together. I also hate that if you totally kill off one they no longer exist as a relative. Sometimes a sim is just down right annoying or in the case of one of my sims parents they were just glitchy as anything. She somehow got corrupted and wouldn't leave her husband alone. She followed him like a puppy everywhere. I tried changing her traits, resetting her numerous times, changing her relationship and she wouldn't stop so alas I had to nuke her. That's when I found out using total annihilation wipes them out completely as if they never existed. Thankfully I had a back up of her from when she was a teen in my bin so I brought her back and aged her up. Fixed her relationships and she was fine.
Inventor
#9 Old 1st May 2022 at 5:05 PM
Not sure if you know this or want to do this...but in excel if you click Page Layout > Uncheck the box for gridlines all the gridlines in the background go away and it becomes a blank sheet. The functionality of the cells remain it just removes the gridline view. I do this and only apply gridlines where I want to see them

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#10 Old 1st May 2022 at 9:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by marydehoyos
I agree. I wish they had a better tree line to connect your sims back together. I also hate that if you totally kill off one they no longer exist as a relative. Sometimes a sim is just down right annoying or in the case of one of my sims parents they were just glitchy as anything. She somehow got corrupted and wouldn't leave her husband alone. She followed him like a puppy everywhere. I tried changing her traits, resetting her numerous times, changing her relationship and she wouldn't stop so alas I had to nuke her. That's when I found out using total annihilation wipes them out completely as if they never existed. Thankfully I had a back up of her from when she was a teen in my bin so I brought her back and aged her up. Fixed her relationships and she was fine.

Thanks to talking through a possible solution with you, you helped me come up with a workaround. Or at least when I tested it in-game it works based on the uncle/nephew/niece family ties.

Step 1: Save any and all copies of Sims needed from the in-game save to the library. You can evict Sims and save them separately too, just don't save the game and the once Sims are saved to the library unless deleted, is automatically saved. Or it's probably safer to use a copy of the save so in case one messes up they don't have to worry. At the main menu there's an option to copy any save, I tend to use this feature and include the word COPY in it so I know which one is the replica.
*Do not save Sims to the CAS bin to gather and recreate as a household to reattach relationships that way because their skills, inventory, job, etc will get reset as if a brand new Sim.
*Make sure any Sims previous jobs/professions are also in the world so they will automatically continue where ever they left off at.

Step 2: Open the world you want to place them in and retrieve them from the library to place down in the world. It is easier to place them altogether to make it simple to check their relationships connect correctly. After that, you can separate them to live elsewhere in the neighborhood if wanted.
*NRass > Mastercontroller > Sim > Advanced > Family (Add Parent, Child, Sibling/Remove Parent, Child, Sibling)

Step 3: For the Sim or Sims you don't want in the world, a compromise is to use NRass MC to assign them as a service Sim. I chose the DJ role but you can chose another role that makes sense to you.
*This makes it so that the Sims are still in the world in order to keep the family ties, but are not residents.
*NRass > Mastercontroller > Sim > Advanced > Set Service

Step 4: Reset the Sim(s) who you set as service Sims. Or if you want, your Sims can interact with them, call them, invite them over, text them but I'm going to guess it can depend on which service role you place them in concerning how available they may be.

=======

Sometimes when I use NRass MC family options, I get mixed up and mess everything up. During my test, I had to evict the Sims, delete them and then replace them back down in the world to start over. For some reason the mod stops responding for me sometimes and gets stuck on family relationships I'm trying to remove but it won't, or connections not registering. Like when I had the father and his 3 children but none of the children were siblings and it wouldn't allow me to add them as the option was missing. Starting over seemed to fix it and making me more mindful on what I'm clicking. Once that is done you can save the library file and back it up as well.

I didn't save this test, but I wonder if I should renovate the apartment Hunter is at to accommodate more Sims and have his nephews and niece as his neighbors. Maybe Hunter and Gene will get along better the more time they spend together, lol. Angel came hungry but whatever it was she cooked, she burned it. If I do decide to have them share the same lot together, I should have Hunter invite them over, cook and give them a warm welcome.

Quote: Originally posted by marydehoyos
Not sure if you know this or want to do this...but in excel if you click Page Layout > Uncheck the box for gridlines all the gridlines in the background go away and it becomes a blank sheet. The functionality of the cells remain it just removes the gridline view. I do this and only apply gridlines where I want to see them

Thanks, yes I usually keep the grid on to try to space it out evenly or close enough. But sometimes I disable it when taking screenshots but I didn't do that, that time.

Inventor
#11 Old 1st May 2022 at 9:50 PM
Awesome work around! Glad to talk through it with you. That's the best way to come to a solution.
I figured I would toss that in about excel because I swear the grid gives me anxiety lol (I train people in various computer applications it's a bad habit I have to give advice)
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#12 Old 2nd May 2022 at 4:59 AM
That's cool. When I used to be more into proper grammar and all, I would start making it a habit to correct my family members. Though now, I don't think I'm much interested as before, however, I do want to get serious about creative writing so I'll have to relearn eventually.

Test Subject
#13 Old 12th May 2022 at 4:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Deshong
I'm curious if there is anyone else who doesn't use NRass Traveler to move their families around, as in connecting worlds or using NRass Porter to keep everything the same.

Originally, my families started in Sunset Valley and I moved them all to Moonlight Falls with their familial connections still intact. I don't use any kind of story progression, which means I have to micromanage the neighborhood's population among other things. Preferably I keep my count around 80-85 Sims and when it gets to those numbers, I decide who to move somewhere else. Or just move in general if I want them to travel or look for a new home and life. Playing this way means my family trees become obsolete and/or incomplete. I'm constricted to just using parents/children/siblings to reconnect those types of kinship but everything else, so it is said, isn't possible.

So then I think what I want is to be able to move more than those familial connections within one or more neighborhoods, but I don't want my families getting involved romantically. Since the game was not designed in a way where you could connect worlds together in a fluent manner such as The Sims 2 and all relationships would still be there, it can't be done...unless with mods. So then what's the compromise?

Well, as long as the game recognizes Sims as being related, regardless of kinship, that automatically solves that issue. So I'm thinking to assign relatives as siblings despite them not actually being siblings whenever parents aren't present in the world. As long as I keep track of my own documented family trees and know who's who then does it really matter if the in-game kinship doesn't match? Gameplay wise, I don't think an aunt and nephew would act any different than a brother and sister anyway. It's not exactly what I want but I guess it isn't the worse trade-off.

Going through one of my largest family trees, so far I have: great-grandparents, first cousins once removed, half-siblings, half-aunts/uncles, grandaunts/uncles, cousin-in-laws, step-mom. Probably getting a little too detailed but oh well, lol.

Best way to manage is using Nraas Porter, Mover and Traveller. Sorry. Just how sims 3 works.