Replies: 24486 (Who?), Viewed: 654512 times.
Page 980 of 980
Mad Poster
#24476 Old Yesterday at 5:39 PM
It's quite likely that I'm going to have to buy a new computer.

Which I'm not thrilled about, because expensive. However. I own Windows 7 on disks, so rollback of OS is possible if the machine itself is compatible. So it could be worse. (My husband's a former IT pro, now in a lower stress job, there's quite a bit we can do beyond what the stores offer.)

And there's a potential upside: Zarathustra, and anyone who plays on Zara's lots, would you be so kind as to share what your computer components are, please? Maybe I can get a machine that will run them without crashing!

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Mad Poster
#24477 Old Yesterday at 6:00 PM Last edited by CatherineTCJD : Yesterday at 6:15 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbee
It's quite likely that I'm going to have to buy a new computer....
...My husband's a former IT pro...

I am in the same boat as you (well except for the built-in tech support/knowledge) - and I actually, have a new machine on order
You may enjoy reading what Kunder wrote: Before You Spend Money on a New Machine

My new machine is going to be:
Lenovo W540
i7-4800mq (Quad Core)
32gb DDR3 RAM.
1920x1080p IPS display.
500gb SSD, and a 240gb M.2 NGFF drive (on the MB).
nVidia K2100m graphics

Kunder says I'll be able to actually "play" the game (not just build LOL!) and with ALL my CC!!! (I've only been able to use 3.4gb of CC for years - any more than that and ACCESS VIOLATION crashes occur randomly) I am sooooo looking forward to trying out this new simming 'beast'!

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Top Secret Researcher
#24478 Old Yesterday at 7:42 PM
@Laurcleve, it goes in the latest EP folder, so if that's Fun with Pets for you (and judging by HobbesED's answer, it seems like it might be) then go with that. And there are standalone risky runaway & sneakout mods, if you only want those features. Midgethetree extracted some Inteen features here:
https://midgethetree.tumblr.com/pos...-controller-and

As someone who has used Inteen for years now, I don't find the conflicts to be much of a hassle. Occasionally, there's an older mod that just won't work with Inteen, but most of the time, in my experience, an Inteen version came along. You just need to be sure you're reading all the faqs and mod info, and installing things in the right order. No, it's the newer mods that are more likely to be InTeen incompatible--again, in my experience. A few times there's been a shiny new mod that came out and I'm like, 'This is awesome!' and then 'Crap, it conflicts with InTeen.' So if you're used to InTeen, if you like what it does, use most of its features, and you think you have a relatively set mod setup (and aren't going to be adding to that too much), then go ahead and put InTeen back in. But if you're thinking you might want to try out some new mods, or if you know you only used a handful of InTeen features, then maybe look for the extracted InTeen mods instead. That way as you add new mods in, you have maximum flexibility.

For me, I like InTeen; while I don't use everything in it, there's a couple of key features that I really like, namely multiple significant others. I also like the synergy between it and ACR, and that I don't need separate mods for YAs. My relationship/romance mods are pretty much set, too. There are some new interesting mods out there, but overall I'm happy with the way my game runs, so I just let those go. If I ever get around to creating a new hood, I might ditch InTeen and test out different mods in that folder--but like I said, I'm happy with things right now. But you can do that too (have InTeen in one folder, and other mods in another) if you're on the fence. I'll also add that if you think you might want to try out new mods later, maybe as you put mods back in right now, tag the ones that are InTeen compatible. That way if you uninstall Inteen later, you don't have to go through everything to find them. (That's another reason why I'm leaving in InTeen for now; I'd have to go through all my mods again and switch out InTeen versions. )

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | Kelyns on other forums
Field Researcher
#24479 Old Yesterday at 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurcleve
Shoot, I'm glad I asked! I never would have figured that out. Thanks for your replies, everybody.

@Phantomknight, I don't have an M&G folder in my Program Files (x86), I only have these: _Installer, Apartment Life, Best of Business, Bon Voyage, Double Deluxe, Free Time, Fun With Pets, Glamour Life Stuff, Seasons, Support, University Life. (When I launch the game it's the Fun With Pets loading screen that I see.) I do have all the M&G stuff though, and I know that one came out last, so it must be included in one of the combo packs like Best of Business or Fun with Pets or something. Did the Fun with Pets combo pack come out after M&G? Maybe that's why I see that loading screen.

@joandsarah77, I was reading about it and got all thrilled of the idea of my teenage girl running away and coming home pregnant. (Well okay, not MY teenage girl - that wouldn't be thrilling at all - but my sim teenage girl.) All my teenagers are pretty well-behaved and make an effort to get along at home, so this would really be a departure for my town. Are there other mods out there that would allow for that?

The SP9 folder in Fun With Pets represents Mansions and Gardens. Maxis/EA released 8 EPs and even though M&G contained not only "stuff" but also code, for some reason they released it as a SP (Stuff Pack) and not as an EP (Expansion Pack) as it should have been. So the SP9 folder in UC's Fun With Pets represents the last TS2 EP that you can have.

I agree with Phantomknight. I've run InTeen pretty much since its inception. Now, I wouldn't want to play without it. The two biggest complaints I've seen about it are (1) how pervasive it is causing many mods to conflict with it and (2) how behind the scenes it temporarily makes teens into adults in order to allow teen pregnancy.

I think Phantomknight did a good job describing (1). And as far as (2) goes, as long as you ensure that all teen pregnancies are terminated one way or another should you choose to remove InTeen, then the other things the pseudo-teen pregnancy causes aren't that serious for me as they are only temporary. One example: Using InTeen when a teen becomes pregnant, there are no longer attraction bolts with other teens but the attraction bolts appear with adults since the teen is an adult behind the scenes. Once the pregnancy ends, however, attraction returns to normal teen to teen bolts since the teen is returned to teen age again behind the scenes.

All of my Conversions, Creations and Stories may be found here:
HobbesED's Conversions and Creations
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#24480 Old Yesterday at 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurcleve
Shoot, I'm glad I asked! I never would have figured that out. Thanks for your replies, everybody.

@Phantomknight, I don't have an M&G folder in my Program Files (x86), I only have these: _Installer, Apartment Life, Best of Business, Bon Voyage, Double Deluxe, Free Time, Fun With Pets, Glamour Life Stuff, Seasons, Support, University Life. (When I launch the game it's the Fun With Pets loading screen that I see.) I do have all the M&G stuff though, and I know that one came out last, so it must be included in one of the combo packs like Best of Business or Fun with Pets or something. Did the Fun with Pets combo pack come out after M&G? Maybe that's why I see that loading screen.

@joandsarah77, I was reading about it and got all thrilled of the idea of my teenage girl running away and coming home pregnant. (Well okay, not MY teenage girl - that wouldn't be thrilling at all - but my sim teenage girl.) All my teenagers are pretty well-behaved and make an effort to get along at home, so this would really be a departure for my town. Are there other mods out there that would allow for that?


Haha, the things we find enjoyable in the sims but *not* real life.

I think @Chris Hatch might have a mod or was it Midge? Someone here will know for sure.

What I would do is actually play it. I have played a teenage runaway but not a pregnant one as I don't have mods for that but I know one is called Wild Child. So if I wanted to play this after she got pregnant I would make her family relationships low and use the memory manipulator to give her that runaway memory. Then I would set her as independent teen on the simblender and move her out.
Or another way could be make her unhappy enough to actually run away then see if you can teleport her back home and set as independent teen. I haven't tried to teleport a runaway teen before to know if that works, but that would be best as it gives everyone a memory. Then I would move them out and play them, possibly changing them back to a regular teen. Regular teens have more limitations that I like.
You would need at least a teen pregnancy mod like Wild Child.
Possibly the Memory Manipulator -would not be without this.
Simblender. (can also make teens pregnant)

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#24481 Old Today at 2:19 AM
Jo, it's Midge who did a risky runaway/sneak out mod; I linked to it in my post earlier.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | Kelyns on other forums
Field Researcher
#24482 Old Today at 4:00 AM
Default Still Life Paintings reverting to a Default Painting
I've had this sporadic issue for years and I've not found any explanation of it or any fix for it. I'm hoping someone else may have some idea(s). It happened when I ran from disks and it continues to occur now that I run Ultimate Collection. It isn't restricted to any particular neighborhood. I can't predict when it will happen.

My Sims use the "Paint Still Life" option on the easel to create paintings. Those completed paintings hang on the walls of my Sims homes. But sometimes some of those paintings (not even all of them on the same lot) have mysteriously reverted to the EA/Maxis default desert sun painting the next time I enter that lot. I haven't been able to figure out what causes that glitch. It is seemingly random. My Sims haven't reset. Everything else is just as it was the last time I played that lot, only the paintings have changed.

When you open a Lot file in SimPE and look at the Texture Image (TXTR) resource, Still Life paintings are normally shown with a name similar to #0x6f00a738!painting_c4b3fa61_txtr in the Resource List. However after the glitch, none of the paintings which have reverted to the desert sun painting show up in the Resource List any longer. It's like the lot still has information that a painting is there but has somehow lost the information for the exact painting so it substitutes the desert sun painting texture in its place.

Has anyone else had this happen? Any ideas what may be the cause?

All of my Conversions, Creations and Stories may be found here:
HobbesED's Conversions and Creations
Lab Assistant
#24483 Old Today at 4:57 AM
Is there any way to make the cow plant eat visitors? Mine just spits them back out. Maybe a mod of some kind...?

Hmm. That was a neighbor. I tested on a random townie and it ate her just fine.
Forum Resident
#24484 Old Today at 6:03 AM
perhaps they are low on hygiene?
Scholar
#24485 Old Today at 6:37 AM
For some reason starting with BV they made it so that visiting playables can't die by any means anymore. I'm not sure why, since if you mod that behavior out it seems to work just fine, but I'm going to wait a while and play my neighborhood for a while to make sure nothing blows up before releasing it properly. They also made it so that tourists and vacation locals can't die, but I think that was just a mistake. I *think* sims may still be able to die if they were saved on a residential lot and they are selectable at the time of death, so if you really want them to die, try making them selectable first. Anyone who was saved on a lot other than a residential lot or a hotel can't die regardless of whether or not they are selectable (unless they are part of the current family).
Mad Poster
#24486 Old Today at 7:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrellyn
For some reason starting with BV they made it so that visiting playables can't die by any means anymore. I'm not sure why, since if you mod that behavior out it seems to work just fine, but I'm going to wait a while and play my neighborhood for a while to make sure nothing blows up before releasing it properly. They also made it so that tourists and vacation locals can't die, but I think that was just a mistake. I *think* sims may still be able to die if they were saved on a residential lot and they are selectable at the time of death, so if you really want them to die, try making them selectable first. Anyone who was saved on a lot other than a residential lot or a hotel can't die regardless of whether or not they are selectable (unless they are part of the current family).


A social townie from AL died when he visited one of my sim lots, though - that was before I actually used any mods at all. My sim had a guitar and a drum set, and the townie (in a funky tie suit, Ray, I think) joined him in making music and then out of nowhere, the grim reaper appeared. My sims went into mourning for a sim they have never met before While it was an exception to the rule, it was memorable!
Mad Poster
#24487 Old Today at 7:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbesED
I've had this sporadic issue for years and I've not found any explanation of it or any fix for it. I'm hoping someone else may have some idea(s). It happened when I ran from disks and it continues to occur now that I run Ultimate Collection. It isn't restricted to any particular neighborhood. I can't predict when it will happen.

My Sims use the "Paint Still Life" option on the easel to create paintings. Those completed paintings hang on the walls of my Sims homes. But sometimes some of those paintings (not even all of them on the same lot) have mysteriously reverted to the EA/Maxis default desert sun painting the next time I enter that lot. I haven't been able to figure out what causes that glitch. It is seemingly random. My Sims haven't reset. Everything else is just as it was the last time I played that lot, only the paintings have changed.

When you open a Lot file in SimPE and look at the Texture Image (TXTR) resource, Still Life paintings are normally shown with a name similar to #0x6f00a738!painting_c4b3fa61_txtr in the Resource List. However after the glitch, none of the paintings which have reverted to the desert sun painting show up in the Resource List any longer. It's like the lot still has information that a painting is there but has somehow lost the information for the exact painting so it substitutes the desert sun painting texture in its place.

Has anyone else had this happen? Any ideas what may be the cause?

This is common, though it usually happens to paintings that have been moved from the lot where they are painted. I believe blue-flashing photo booth photos are the same problem on a slightly different customized picture. Interestingly enough, when I played my Uberhood challenge and moved all the paintings the kids did and all the photobooth photos Rhett took of his dates with the family from apartment to apartment, they were fine right up until I moved them into their last residence, a single-family home rather than a rental - and then there was devastation! I'm not sure whether this would provide information about the problem to a sufficiently knowledgeable person, or whether it was a fluke, but present the facts for what they are worth.

Some years ago Mootilda figured out what was happening and found a laborious fix for it, but it was laborious enough that I never tried it and don't now remember what it was. I think it involved retrieving information from a backup, but that's all I remember and I could be wrong.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Page 980 of 980
Back to top