Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Apr 2021 at 3:42 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default is it possible to run two separate copies of the game?
i have both the ultimate collection from origin as well as an actual copy of the game, i installed the ultimate collection because i wanted to test a few things that might corrupt the game but now when i run my other copy it seems to be running as the ultimate collection. when i run the original copy it generates an ultimate collection folder in my documents and wont seem to instead read from "the sims 2" folder, but they're both installed on two entirely different hard drives.

i did notice that the registry keys for my original copy were changed to ultimate collection keys, so i was wondering if there's some sort of workaround similar to how anygame works, or if its pretty much just not possible? i'm going to be looking into it some more myself but if anyone can offer any help i'd appreciate it.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 2nd Apr 2021 at 7:49 AM
No, that one's definitely not possible. You may have the games on separate hard drives, but some stuff like the registry entries still overlaps. AGS works different, it uses the files from your installed game to simulate a game with a certain disc setup.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#3 Old 2nd Apr 2021 at 8:44 PM
Actually it is possible, but requires a save of the registry entry for each game that must be run before you run each game.  I do it with UC and base game disks.  It's a GIANT PAIN. 
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 2nd Apr 2021 at 9:11 PM
@HugeLunatic You could automate that with a batch file or powershell script. Or get Numenor to write an Anygame Starter that allows switching between UC and disc game!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd Apr 2021 at 10:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
Actually it is possible, but requires a save of the registry entry for each game that must be run before you run each game.  I do it with UC and base game disks.  It's a GIANT PAIN. 

yeah this was what i was trying to setup, but like you said its a huuuge pain in the ass. im glad you can confirm that works though
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#6 Old 2nd Apr 2021 at 11:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
You could automate that with a batch file or powershell script. Or get Numenor to write an Anygame Starter that allows switching between UC and disc game!
I did actually! lol  But getting it there was an experience.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 6th Apr 2021 at 2:48 PM Last edited by Savagegrace : 6th Apr 2021 at 4:25 PM. Reason: Added Info!
I used Reg files to switch between UC and T&A. Used 2 different SimPe's. However, several tools have path issues you have to deal with. Yep, a big pain in the kazoo!

But I made things worse, by shortening my Game path to "EA Games/UC M&G" and "EA Games/UC T&A", this adds even more "Fun" to getting things to work!