Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Captain Louie
retired moderator
Original Poster
#26 Old 22nd Jul 2013 at 1:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunnaie
is there a preferred world/lot for this?...not sure if i saw anything saying that..

Nope! The lot is 100% flat, so any flat spot you find will do

Now streaming on at Twitch.tv/SeveralNerds or UglyHoesConnect.com - whichever is easier for you to type in your browser.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 22nd Jul 2013 at 1:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BlakeS5678
Sunset Valley may be a good choice seeing as it has lots of flat area that can be used and looks pretty generic, but you can choose anything you want really. If you have a certain theme in mind you could choose a world that corresponds with that theme, all in all only your lots will be judged so it's not that important.

Quote: Originally posted by QBUILDERZ
Nope! The lot is 100% flat, so any flat spot you find will do

Thank You!~
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#28 Old 22nd Jul 2013 at 1:39 AM
Is this just a room or an entire house? I'm not very good at building in The Sims 3, so I was wondering how large and difficult it is. A picture of the foundation from overhead would be helpful.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 22nd Jul 2013 at 1:39 AM
Should we list which expansion packs we use when we enter the contest?
Scholar
#30 Old 22nd Jul 2013 at 1:42 AM
Thank You!~

Your welcome, dear. Feel free to ask other questions if you need anything else.

Just call me Blake! :)
Hola, hablo español también - Hi, I speak Spanish too.
Scholar
#31 Old 22nd Jul 2013 at 1:42 AM
Armiel's Build Island is really great for building in my opinion. You can put down whatever lot size you need in edit town. Loads in a few seconds for me and my computer is terrible.

http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=419136

The Love Legacy A Random Legacy Challenge Blog - Currently in Progress
Captain Louie
retired moderator
Original Poster
#32 Old 22nd Jul 2013 at 1:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Is this just a room or an entire house? I'm not very good at building in The Sims 3, so I was wondering how large and difficult it is. A picture of the foundation from overhead would be helpful.

It is an entire house, friend! I think you should give it a try -- you can only get better! plus, with the people who are playing along, you'd probably learn a whole bunch of new things. As for the picture, I like it to be ambiguous, so that way when you look at in game you have a "Well...crap" kind of moment I am secretly evil.

Quote: Originally posted by ZodiacRain
Should we list which expansion packs we use when we enter the contest?

You don't have to, but you can if you'd like, of course!

Now streaming on at Twitch.tv/SeveralNerds or UglyHoesConnect.com - whichever is easier for you to type in your browser.
Field Researcher
#33 Old 22nd Jul 2013 at 2:04 AM
I think I already know the answer, but we can move the existing landscaping, right?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#34 Old 22nd Jul 2013 at 2:08 AM
Lol okay. Another quick question, how do I place the lot? Will it just place along a road? Or do I place it over an existing bare lot? I've never quite figured out placing lots in Sims 3. They always seem to be at an angle to the road. Also will this work when I don't have the latest patch? Or should I just tell it to update?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Captain Louie
retired moderator
Original Poster
#35 Old 22nd Jul 2013 at 2:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Jaguwar
I think I already know the answer, but we can move the existing landscaping, right?

Yep! I just do it so the lot looks a little more interesting in the post

Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Lol okay. Another quick question, how do I place the lot? Will it just place along a road? Or do I place it over an existing bare lot? I've never quite figured out placing lots in Sims 3. They always seem to be at an angle to the road. Also will this work when I don't have the latest patch? Or should I just tell it to update?

If should work just fine without the patch (I don't believe I am patched to the latest version) and you can do it either way! You can either go into edit town mode and plop down a 2x3 lot, then place the foundation lot on that empty slot, or you can find an existing 2x3 house, delete it, and put down the foundation in that space.

Test Subject
#36 Old 22nd Jul 2013 at 2:31 AM
So I'm not very good at building and I've had this problem before but i can never figure out how to fix it...the lot that i selected i guess is higher than the original foundation template... but the console command that is supposed to fix it doesn't do anything at all when i put it in...can anyone help me lift it up from its sunken in state or should i just try and find a plot that it doesn't sink into? Not even sure if i should ask about it here..
Field Researcher
#37 Old 22nd Jul 2013 at 2:31 AM
Oh my gosh, I'm so happy this is running during one of my more active simming periods! For the sake of a challenge I actually practiced house building with the last contest's foundations and rules.

A few questions though... what are the limits on landscaping? Are we allowed to do pools, fountains, boats, etc? And does the lot need to be the same size, or can it be bigger? And is this limited to houses or can we make community lots as well?
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 22nd Jul 2013 at 2:57 AM
So...if you can't place extra foundations, does that mean no features such as gazebos? Just curious...probably a dumb question :P.
Captain Louie
retired moderator
Original Poster
#39 Old 22nd Jul 2013 at 2:58 AM
So I'm not very good at building and I've had this problem before but i can never figure out how to fix it...the lot that i selected i guess is higher than the original foundation template... but the console command that is supposed to fix it doesn't do anything at all when i put it in...can anyone help me lift it up from its sunken in state or should i just try and find a plot that it doesn't sink into? Not even sure if i should ask about it here..

Use the cheat "Setimportedterrainoffset [value]" to raise the lot up and down. This happened to a few others, too. I built the lot in Armiel's builder's island, so maybe try downloading that and plaing the lot there? I don't know if it will help or not, but it may be worth a shot.

Quote: Originally posted by Aree
Oh my gosh, I'm so happy this is running during one of my more active simming periods! For the sake of a challenge I actually practiced house building with the last contest's foundations and rules.

A few questions though... what are the limits on landscaping? Are we allowed to do pools, fountains, boats, etc? And does the lot need to be the same size, or can it be bigger? And is this limited to houses or can we make community lots as well?

No limit on landscaping, provided it doesn't change the height of the foundation (no raising or lowering the terrain around the edges of the foundation, this includes ponds) The lot needs to remain on a 2x3 plot in the interest of keeping a standard across the competition, and if you want to do a community lot, that'd be awesome! I know Llamaforever made some awesome clubs last contest!

Captain Louie
retired moderator
Original Poster
#40 Old 22nd Jul 2013 at 3:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rin_of_Water
So...if you can't place extra foundations, does that mean no features such as gazebos? Just curious...probably a dumb question :P.

Well, this is tricky. You can have a gazebo (off foundation) as long as it doesn't expand livable space. If it is just a couple chairs and more along the lines of landscaping, then that is perfect. If you're using it as an outdoor kitchen or something that serves a large function, then no.

Lab Assistant
#41 Old 22nd Jul 2013 at 3:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by QBUILDERZ
Well, this is tricky. You can have a gazebo (off foundation) as long as it doesn't expand livable space. If it is just a couple chairs and more along the lines of landscaping, then that is perfect. If you're using it as an outdoor kitchen or something that serves a large function, then no.

Thank you. That's helpful!
On another note, I'm having technical difficulties. When I import the lot into a world, the terrain level is way below the street level. When I look at the thumbnail picture, the lot looks like it's supposed to be flat. I play the game with several mods installed, so could that cause it?
Retired Staff Member
retired moderator
#42 Old 22nd Jul 2013 at 4:53 AM Last edited by King_Deadly : 24th Jul 2013 at 4:20 PM.
Hello! Well I saw this contest and saw it very interest and I instantly started on building
So here's my entry Ill call it "Belinda GreenWork"
WARNING: Pic Heavy

Instructor
#43 Old 22nd Jul 2013 at 5:16 AM
Rin there is a cheat to fix it, but it depends on the world you play in
setimprtedterrainoffset [value] The value is tricky, it depends on the world you are playing. Example, Armiel's finnington. I got it to work with the value at 3.55.

Now onto my question, does the house have to be functional? As in sims should be able to live in the thing?

(◐ω◑)
What kind of Sim loves like this?
(◐ω◑)
Captain Louie
retired moderator
Original Poster
#44 Old 22nd Jul 2013 at 5:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by levini
Rin there is a cheat to fix it, but it depends on the world you play in
setimprtedterrainoffset [value] The value is tricky, it depends on the world you are playing. Example, Armiel's finnington. I got it to work with the value at 3.55.

Now onto my question, does the house have to be functional? As in sims should be able to live in the thing?

The lot doesn't need to be functional / support a sim, but it should be mostly route-able at least. Armiel did an "unfinished" house last round, which was partially capable of housing a sim, but it still looked awesome and was route-able.

So, no, it doesn't need to support a sim, even if it is preferable. If you can make something awesome, but rundown or something like that, I'm all for it.

The other one
#45 Old 22nd Jul 2013 at 5:34 AM Last edited by missroxor : 22nd Jul 2013 at 6:00 AM.
I'm assuming it doesn't matter which way round the lot goes since you didn't post a pic with the front annotated?

I had the sinking lot thing too. The easiest way to fix it (since it's only an empty lot) is to delete the plants, set CFE false, hit flatten lot then re-size the foundation back to it's original height. It's a lot quicker than faffing about trying to guess the exact number :D

ETA: Remember to move the trash can and mailbox before you flatten the lot or you'll have to dig them out again
Captain Louie
retired moderator
Original Poster
#46 Old 22nd Jul 2013 at 5:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by missroxor
I'm assuming it doesn't matter which way round the lot goes since you didn't post a pic with the front annotated?

I had the sinking lot thing too. The easiest way to fix it (since it's only an empty lot) is to delete the plants, set CFE false, hit flatten lot then re-size the foundation back to it's original height. It's a lot quicker than faffing about trying to guess the exact number :D

It is 12:40 am here and I work at 6:00 am, but tomorrow I am going to update the main post with a "questions" section. That way I can move all answered questions there, as well as post the fix for this. It seems to be occurring to a bunch of people, so I feel it should be made more prominent.

This is a much quicker solution, though, for those who know CFE.

Instructor
#47 Old 22nd Jul 2013 at 6:24 AM
I do have another question. you did say no liveable space can be made outside, but would having a small grill or a clothesline break the rules?

(◐ω◑)
What kind of Sim loves like this?
(◐ω◑)
#48 Old 22nd Jul 2013 at 7:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rin_of_Water
Thank you. That's helpful!
On another note, I'm having technical difficulties. When I import the lot into a world, the terrain level is way below the street level. When I look at the thumbnail picture, the lot looks like it's supposed to be flat. I play the game with several mods installed, so could that cause it?

A few of us are having the problem of the sunken lot. I found that downloading and using
Armiel's Builders Island somewhat helpful - I ended up with slightly raised terrain instead of sunken terrain in the end.
Captain Louie
retired moderator
Original Poster
#49 Old 22nd Jul 2013 at 10:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by levini
I do have another question. you did say no liveable space can be made outside, but would having a small grill or a clothesline break the rules?

That does not break the rules -- having a seating area on a back patio, or a grill, or a gaage for just a car are all fine. What you can't have are garages that function as pool houses or bars, you can't make that grill be an out-door kitchen, etc.

Test Subject
#50 Old 22nd Jul 2013 at 2:37 PM
I have never done a sims 3 contest or in fact made a full house in sims 3, but I'm going to do this because it's summer and why the hell not?

Page 2 of 59