Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
#401 Old 2nd Feb 2023 at 12:34 AM
Oh it'll be functional...with a million glitches and bugs.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#402 Old 2nd Feb 2023 at 4:09 PM Last edited by matrix54 : 3rd Feb 2023 at 3:25 AM.
There's changing tables, but I don't know if they're in the base game, or pack exclusive. One of the designs looks in the style of the base game kid's stuff, but...

Edit: There's an upright piano - *crying*

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Mad Poster
#403 Old 2nd Feb 2023 at 4:42 PM
New trailer released:

https://twitter.com/TheSims/status/1621177820008382467

https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/n...her-guided-tour

San Sequoia seems somewhat underwhelming, and much of the same color palette as Newcrest aside from some new deco apartments + the bridge- I was hoping more for something more strongly inspired by San Francisco.
Mad Poster
#404 Old 2nd Feb 2023 at 4:57 PM
Soooooo....It seems like a very simple pack, but I really like how it looks so far. My only gripe is how friggin huge the treehouse is compared to the already huge TS3 treehouses. Wishful thinking but I really hope we have an option to make one that only needs one tree instead of two.

The Receptacle still lives!
Lab Assistant
#405 Old 2nd Feb 2023 at 6:47 PM
This is ridiculous. Hearing aids? I think the devs need them cause obviously they can't hear us. (Can't wait to get my 'free earbuds' in-game, give them to a Sim with a hearing aid and have their head explode.)

I have irl issues. The last thing I want to do when I boot up a game for escapism is be reminded of my limitations. What's the next thing we're gonna do in the name of representation? Add in alcoholic parents to coincide with the new expansion pack? (I'm losing it at this point sorry not sorry about sounding so bitter and salty)

Eternally skipping life's jump rope.
Forum Resident
#406 Old 2nd Feb 2023 at 6:56 PM
xSwitchback It would really be fun to have something related to drunkenness, but this game is for children
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#407 Old 2nd Feb 2023 at 10:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lil bag2
Soooooo....It seems like a very simple pack, but I really like how it looks so far. My only gripe is how friggin huge the treehouse is compared to the already huge TS3 treehouses. Wishful thinking but I really hope we have an option to make one that only needs one tree instead of two.

Or, you can always be creative and build a tiny home with mmo on a single tree?

Tbh, this pack looks cute. I do think fairy life stage could be thrown in there just because of the idea of seeing child pull her tooth to (presumambly) put it under her pillow for said npc to swoop in at night like santa clause or whatever. Oh! And it could been a combination of imaginary friend too (Child would need to 'believe' in it enough to have it)

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Lab Assistant
#408 Old 3rd Feb 2023 at 8:01 AM
Ok, the toddler kicking their mom in the shin was pretty funny.
Field Researcher
#409 Old 3rd Feb 2023 at 10:26 AM
Honestly underwhelmed by the "updated" babies. :/ They don't look like infants at all, they just like the already existing toddlers, but if someone just shrunk them. Except for the crawling, they don't seem special, just a rebranding of the already existing toddlers life stage. Them scooting on their butts and chewing on toys, I can easily picture Sims 4 toddlers already doing that.

Also, to the poster about the treehouse...this is Sims 4. Remember how they made telescopes and microscopes ginormous in the beginning (I think they patched them to make them normal size eventually). But I do agree with you about that. Like, really?
Instructor
#410 Old 3rd Feb 2023 at 1:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kiddypatches
Also, to the poster about the treehouse...this is Sims 4. Remember how they made telescopes and microscopes ginormous in the beginning (I think they patched them to make them normal size eventually). But I do agree with you about that. Like, really?

I haven't updated my game to the point where I finally acquire normal-sized telescopes, but unless I missed a news bulletin, microscopes are still outrageously gigantic.

The only time I ever felt like I finally fit one into a home somewhat naturally was when I added a conservatory to a mansion.
Screenshots

A fool and his money are soon parted. ~ Thomas Tusser
Mad Poster
#411 Old 3rd Feb 2023 at 2:10 PM
Yeah microscopes are still the same. They only gave us normal sized telescopes fairly recently (like...the last game pack recent)

Lab Assistant
#412 Old 3rd Feb 2023 at 2:57 PM
Given the recent update to the Sims 4 regarding binders and surgery scars, I think I'll be staying away from the Sims 5. Twitter is absolutely rife with shout-outs about body mutilation and catering towards self-harm for children. Goodness only knows what way the Sims 5 is going to go after this. People are actually 'banning' the game from being played in their household, and I can't blame them. I share the concern.

Lab Assistant
#413 Old 3rd Feb 2023 at 4:56 PM
Never mind shelling out nearly $1000 for broken/underwhelming packs for a game still needing a severe overhaul to its foundation. We're drawing the line at binders and scars.

The game is rated T and a good chunk of sims players are adults. I think we can handle such content in the game in my opinion. If parents don't feel comfortable, let the kid play Minecraft. I think there are far more glaring issues with the franchise right now. I mean this new EP is Parenthood 2.0. I fail to see any justification for locking such family-oriented content behind a $60 paywall when EA can just continue refreshing packs like they said they would. What they're doing here is rotten.
Mad Poster
#414 Old 3rd Feb 2023 at 5:39 PM
Why are we acting like the concept of trans sims is a new thing (or like anyone is being forced to use these features in their games)? Folks are a few years too late for the five minute twitter outrage over that.

Quote: Originally posted by simgamer18955
Never mind shelling out nearly $1000 for broken/underwhelming packs for a game still needing a severe overhaul to its foundation. We're drawing the line at binders and scars.

Yep. Never mind EA milking this bloated (yet strangely empty) game until it bursts. Never mind the practice of releasing paid DLC in two parts. Let's get mad at optional game mechanics meant for groups of people who have every right to be represented in a life simulator as the rest of us. I'm pretty sure half of the people moaning on twitter weren't crying "think of the children" when earlier sims games had raunchy (implied) sex cutscenes, nude hot tubbing, beer (I'm sorry, "juice") kegs, and bachelor party strippers. I'd be more concerned about my children seeing TS2's couch make-out animations than I would ANYTHING from this game

Mad Poster
#415 Old 3rd Feb 2023 at 6:24 PM
By all means, go write them about it. The fact that all options relating to gender and sexual orientation aren't even available for child sims might make the argument a little murky. But, hey. If that's what you think EA is doing, and if you think those commissions give a damn about trans people existing in a sims game, then go for it.

Lab Assistant
#416 Old 3rd Feb 2023 at 6:37 PM Last edited by xSwitchback : 3rd Feb 2023 at 6:51 PM.

The game is rated T and a good chunk of sims players are adults. I think we can handle such content in the game in my opinion. If parents don't feel comfortable, let the kid play Minecraft. I think there are far more glaring issues with the franchise right now. I mean this new EP is Parenthood 2.0. I fail to see any justification for locking such family-oriented content behind a $60 paywall when EA can just continue refreshing packs like they said they would. What they're doing here is rotten.

Why are we acting like the concept of trans sims is a new thing (or like anyone is being forced to use these features in their games)? Folks are a few years too late for the five minute twitter outrage over that.

Yep. Never mind EA milking this bloated (yet strangely empty) game until it bursts. Never mind the practice of releasing paid DLC in two parts. Let's get mad at optional game mechanics meant for groups of people who have every right to be represented in a life simulator as the rest of us. I'm pretty sure half of the people moaning on twitter weren't crying "think of the children" when earlier sims games had raunchy (implied) sex cutscenes, nude hot tubbing, beer (I'm sorry, "juice") kegs, and bachelor party strippers. I'd be more concerned about my children seeing TS2's couch make-out animations than I would ANYTHING from this game

We've voiced protests against almost all of the shady practices in the Sims 4 so far, this isn't 'drawing the line.' The line has been well drawn and far crossed at this point.

Would it help to say I have a friend who's Trans? Don't mistake my voice regarding protecting children as some kind of anti-Trans movement. If anything this doesn't help your cause at all.

If you can't see the possible danger of showing what is essentially body-mutilation scars to a younger audience, who have yet to grow and develop and discover themselves at their own pace, as a possible danger or concern, then you're severely misguided.

(Side-note edit, but for years I've said someone should set up a 'Save the Adults' fund, cause I've never seen a child not in need. They're always after extra jam or something.)

Mad Poster
#417 Old 3rd Feb 2023 at 7:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by xSwitchback

Would it help to say I have a friend who's Trans?

No. If anything it just makes this whole outrage even more confusing.

How is this any more damaging to children than any of the other mature content that these games have and have always had? This game ain't for them. Just because parents let their young kids play it doesn't mean its ESRB rating (and the reasons behind said rating) isn't clear as day; nor does it mean EA has any obligation to cater to them and their overprotective soccer moms. Parents getting angry over this sounds a lot like the same inattentive nonsense that had parents complaining about the violence and swearing in Deadpool. Just because it's something you chose to buy for your kids, does not mean that it is for kids.

You may have had an argument if these were things that could be done to child sims. But just like sex, sexual orientation, drinking, making out, getting tattoos and piercings (another form of permanent body scarring that nobody bats an eye at), going out to bars, and partying at nightclubs; it's all catered to older sims. For all this, you may as well get mad at Fortnite (a game that's WAY more popular with young people than the sims will ever be) where the object of the game is to gun down everyone in your path. That's not telling kids to go on shooting sprees is it? Is Naruto (a show about literal 12 year old assassins) telling kids that it's okay to kill people? This whole thing is silly. All this over an optional scar that's about as accessible to child sims as any other form of grown up content in these games.

Forum Resident
#418 Old 3rd Feb 2023 at 7:10 PM
The problem is that the sims should never have been a game for children, since it is inevitable that a game about life simulation does not have elements that are for adults. I don't remember how Sims 2 and 3 was rated, but it was clearly a game for teens and adults. The Sims 2 cover itself feels adult.

So, it can't be that EA puts colors and rainbows, and on the other hand, adds scars, Islamic veils and other controversial things. All those things have an implicit meaning.
Mad Poster
#419 Old 3rd Feb 2023 at 7:19 PM
Every Sims game, from the very beginning, has been rated T. And all the reasons for why are always stated on the game's back covers, in every trailer and video relating to the games, etc. They are legally obligated to do that. It is not their fault if parents ignore it the same way they ignored Deadpool's R rating.

Lab Assistant
#420 Old 3rd Feb 2023 at 7:19 PM
Your clear anger towards people wanting to protect their children is confusing for me? It is for my friend, too.

There's a clear difference between T-rated games that treat alcohol and sex in fun, hardly explicit ways that show little to nothing adult (juice please), to showing clear, detailed scars resulting from people who are unhappy with their body and essentially seek out someone to take a knife to it. A lot of times people who go through with this kind of surgery end up regretting it. I won't go into details, the internet is full of this kind of unpleasantry already, but comparing one game to another isn't really the issue here. They're rated appropriately. The concern here is that this will raise questions in younger children about this kind of behaviour and what leads to it, and it's not something they should be asking at a young age, really. They may think that if they're unhappy with their body, it's totally okay to alter it despite the fact that everyone has imperfections. And that's okay.

But hey, I'm here for fun times, not to argue the Trans bit. There's a difference between Tom & Jerry slapstick violence and Naruto teen-focused violence, to showcasing virtual reality people with graphic mutilation scars. If you're okay to show this to your kids, I can't stop you. But it won't stop me questioning your parenting skills, either.

Forum Resident
#421 Old 3rd Feb 2023 at 7:22 PM
Every Sims game, from the very beginning, has been rated T. And all the reasons for why are always stated on the game's back covers, in every trailer and video relating to the games, etc. They are legally obligated to do that. It is not their fault if parents ignore it the same way they ignored Deadpool's R rating.

It might be T-rated, but Sims 4 is clearly made to appeal to much younger kids. You just have to see that Disney aesthetic... Even the dust is cutesy little animals. ugh
Mad Poster
#422 Old 3rd Feb 2023 at 7:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by xSwitchback
Your clear anger towards people wanting to protect their children is confusing for me? It is for my friend, too.

There's a clear difference between T-rated games that treat alcohol and sex in fun, hardly explicit ways that show little to nothing adult (juice please), to showing clear, detailed scars resulting from people who are unhappy with their body and essentially seek out someone to take a knife to it. A lot of times people who go through with this kind of surgery end up regretting it. I won't go into details, the internet is full of this kind of unpleasantry already, but comparing one game to another isn't really the issue here. They're rated appropriately. The concern here is that this will raise questions in younger children about this kind of behaviour and what leads to it, and it's not something they should be asking at a young age, really. They may think that if they're unhappy with their body, it's totally okay to alter it despite the fact that everyone has imperfections. And that's okay.

But hey, I'm here for fun times, not to argue the Trans bit. There's a difference between Tom & Jerry slapstick violence and Naruto teen-focused violence, to showcasing virtual reality people with graphic mutilation scars. If you're okay to show this to your kids, I can't stop you. But it won't stop me questioning your parenting skills, either.

My skills are nothing more than teaching the idea that people who are different exist, that you will encounter people in the world who are different, who may not share the same belief system as you, and that they still have every right to be seen as any of us do.

If a piece of media presents a child with questions (something that is 100% unavoidable), then be a parent and talk to your child about it rather than blame that piece of media for your child seeing something that wasn't geared towards them in the first place. They're going to encounter trans people everywhere in life. The same as they will anyone who's had some form of cosmetic surgery. At this point, that's inescapable. Instill whatever values, about that fact, that you wanna instill in them and get on with your lives like you would with any other topic that your child has questions about.

Forum Resident
#423 Old 3rd Feb 2023 at 7:56 PM
Where does acceptance end and doctrine begin and the fact that the number of trans children has grown exponentially in recent years? That is why it is a controversial topic. And that is why it is wrong for it to be used in a game where the age at which it is directed is not very clear...

These surgeries are a very serious decision and are for life, frivolizing with that is not right.

I agree with what you say about teaching children to accept everyone, I'm gay, and I can't stand homophobia or transphobia, but you also have to understand that there are people who think it's dangerous for children to be influenced.
Lab Assistant
#424 Old 3rd Feb 2023 at 8:08 PM
Quote:
Would it help to say I have a friend who's Trans? Don't mistake my voice regarding protecting children as some kind of anti-Trans movement. If anything this doesn't help your cause at all.

If you can't see the possible danger of showing what is essentially body-mutilation scars to a younger audience, who have yet to grow and develop and discover themselves at their own pace, as a possible danger or concern, then you're severely misguided.

It's top surgery scars. The same as C-section, sterilization, or other surgical scars (if only EA were bold enough to put those in the game). I wouldn't call childbirth body mutilation or self-harm worth shielding pubescent children from. It's an aspect of life that some people undergo and there are scars left from the experience. Kids ought to have a basic understanding of that outside the game.

TS4 made its mission statement for inclusivity and diversity very clear with all the queer and trans representation in the game. I think it's disingenuous for them to claim to be a safe space for these folks and their experiences just to showcase only the "family-friendly" version of the trans experience. Top surgery is as legit as any kind of surgery for those in transition. Is it graphic? Yes, but so would a C-section scar if they added them to the game. Do some people regret their surgeries? Absolutely, but I think it's gross to conflate cosmetic surgery with outright bodily mutilation and self-harm just because it upsets your sensibilities. There are some people out there who think piercings and tattoos disgrace the human body and should be discouraged. Should those be removed too?

With all that said, I agree S4 has been noticeably geared toward children. I get how this ruffles parents' feathers if they're expecting family-friendly, sanitized content in their children's games. I think the direction of TS4 is generally a mess. EA wants to cater to everybody. Unfortunately, you can't or you risk alienating the player base as we see on Twitter.
Forum Resident
#425 Old 3rd Feb 2023 at 8:12 PM
With all that said, I agree S4 has been noticeably geared toward children. I get how this ruffles parents' feathers if they're expecting family-friendly, sanitized content in their children's games. I think the direction of TS4 is generally a mess. EA wants to cater to everybody. Unfortunately, you can't or you risk alienating the player base as we see on Twitter.

That's why I said that the game should be for adults. Actually, we are all somewhat right. While we argue, EA washes its hands.
Page 17 of 48