Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#8676 Old 22nd Nov 2020 at 3:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Annaminna
I was just yesterday thinking if Dora Ottomas marries Nervous Subject, can she encourage him to be neater? I was thinking she can.

I actually don't know, but I was thinking that it may be limited to the Family Flag, if that makes sense, so in-laws may not count. That's something that would have to be tested, though.

If it helps, what I did with Nervous in my game is after he fled the Beaker mansion, he changed his name. To reflect his growth, I gave him his genetic personality back, which actually contains 10 neat points. I think his whole personality was 10/1/10/2/2, before the Beakers took him.

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#8677 Old 22nd Nov 2020 at 4:40 PM
I have an "Encourage Anyone" mod, which I believe always allows an older Sim to encourage a younger one, if they have a good enough relationship. I think it may be by Squinge.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Lab Assistant
#8678 Old 22nd Nov 2020 at 7:01 PM
I noticed this years ago, but I don't think I ever mentioned it: The way Sims wash their hands is odd. I don't know a single person that fills the sink with water, then soaps up their hands, then puts them in the water. Maybe they do it that way so the same animation can be used for cleaning dishes?
Then again, I've seen restroom sinks in southern France and on Crete that had seperate taps for hot and cold water. Both places (a B&B and a tavern) were in very old houses, so maybe this used to be how people washed their hands. Dunno, I just noticed it again and found it interesting.
Top Secret Researcher
#8679 Old 22nd Nov 2020 at 7:50 PM
We JUST replaced our sink with a new one and it has separate hot and cold taps. Drives me crazy cause it's near impossible to get the temperature where I want it. Maybe I should try that method lol.

Trans Rights Are Human Rights

Be careful who you hate; it may be someone you love.
=^..^=
Mad Poster
#8680 Old 22nd Nov 2020 at 8:54 PM
What are you talking about? I've always lived in a place with separate taps for bathrooms, except the shower. Although I did visit a friend (having lost power for a week) to use her shower and it was a modular bath/shower-I couldn't figure out how to use the shower function only. ok, I live in the woods...

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#8681 Old 22nd Nov 2020 at 9:02 PM
English people are well used to having seperate hot & cold taps, I fill the sink to wash my hands all the time as the hot is RED hot!
Mad Poster
#8682 Old 22nd Nov 2020 at 9:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by KatKaleen
I noticed this years ago, but I don't think I ever mentioned it: The way Sims wash their hands is odd. I don't know a single person that fills the sink with water, then soaps up their hands, then puts them in the water. Maybe they do it that way so the same animation can be used for cleaning dishes?
Then again, I've seen restroom sinks in southern France and on Crete that had seperate taps for hot and cold water. Both places (a B&B and a tavern) were in very old houses, so maybe this used to be how people washed their hands. Dunno, I just noticed it again and found it interesting.
It's how I was taught to wash my hands as a child, and how I still wash them, when I really want to get them clean (or when they're very dirty). Our new-build house has mixer taps, but the house we lived in until last year had separate hot and cold taps.

For my part I discovered that they serve food at FM. Milburn Pennybags went there with his girlfriend Freya, to use one of the karaoke booths, intending to go on to one of the downtown restaurants afterwards, but they discovered that there's a chef at FM who can serve up a perfectly good meal.

Apart from that, I keep seeing things on my lovely new computer that I never saw before. There are clouds in the sky, nice white fluffy summer clouds, even in lot view. I thought you needed CC for that. And at night there are stars in the sky -- far more of them than I've seen in Real Life in many, many years. Light pollution means I'm lucky if I see any real stars at all. There are birds flying in neighbourhood view, and there are butterflies in the garden.

Possibly more disturbing, as a result of high definition, I've discovered that Julian doesn't bother to do up the zip of his tiny CC denim shorts!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#8683 Old 22nd Nov 2020 at 11:10 PM Last edited by RoxEllen1965 : 23rd Nov 2020 at 1:31 AM. Reason: typo/clarification
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
There are clouds in the sky, nice white fluffy summer clouds, even in lot view. I thought you needed CC for that.

You don't need mods to see those clouds unless you have Seasons or a later EP. Seasons added several nice lighting and shader effects, but broke the base game sky effects in the process (clouds, sun, shooting stars, etc.)
Top Secret Researcher
#8684 Old 23rd Nov 2020 at 3:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
It's how I was taught to wash my hands as a child, and how I still wash them, when I really want to get them clean (or when they're very dirty). Our new-build house has mixer taps, but the house we lived in until last year had separate hot and cold taps.

Don't you ever think of how dirty a sink gets between washes though? Or do you also wash your sink constantly? And who's got the time to fill the entire sink just for hand-washing? And then if you do fill the whole sink and the temperature's not right you have to drain it and fill it AGAIN...

=^..^=
Mad Poster
#8685 Old 23rd Nov 2020 at 3:14 AM
Washing hands or dishes in filled sink means economy of water and it is important if you need to pay for it. You can always add hot or cold water to get right temperature. I am used after every dishwashing to clean a sink too. I have small boiler for hot water and cannot let it just flow away.
Mad Poster
#8686 Old 23rd Nov 2020 at 4:15 AM
Washing dishes in a filled sink is economical, maybe, but not hands.
Mad Poster
#8687 Old 23rd Nov 2020 at 7:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by StrangeTownChick
Don't you ever think of how dirty a sink gets between washes though? Or do you also wash your sink constantly? And who's got the time to fill the entire sink just for hand-washing? And then if you do fill the whole sink and the temperature's not right you have to drain it and fill it AGAIN...

You're putting hand soap in the water. Can't get that dirty.
Field Researcher
#8688 Old 23rd Nov 2020 at 9:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
You're putting hand soap in the water. Can't get that dirty.

Well if you wash a lot of dishes it will get dirty at some point. Which is why you do less dirty stuff like glasses first, and switch out the water when it looks or feels dirty.

Our dishwasher has been been broken for month and a days worth of dishes usually requires two sinks of water.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#8689 Old 23rd Nov 2020 at 11:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by StrangeTownChick
This post made me giggle, it's really not as complicated as you make it sound, I've been washing my own hands for most of my life and I managed so far. You see, I have a wash basin sink in the bathroom, which is smaller than the one I do my dishes in. So I only need a small amount of hot and cold water to wash my face or hands. And, it's cleanable! Yes! Once a day (but only if my mother's visiting ) I give it a cursory clean with a cloth designed for that very purpose and detergent likewise designed, which keeps it perfectly clean. After I have used it for washing I swill off any soap suds which keeps it clean between uses. I also clean my kitchen sink, where I wash my dishes. Yes! And, if I put some hot water in the sink, I leave a little space so that I can top it up with cold water to get to the right temperature. It's very technical. I don't think I've ever had to drain the sink and fill it again. I noticed my sims have to clean their sinks too. I get the maid to do those, but I don't have a maid in real life, just a husband who does the dishes provided I cook for him.
Forum Resident
#8690 Old 23rd Nov 2020 at 1:02 PM
We have separate hot and cold taps at my house (I live in England, so apparently that's common here?).

For hand washing, I just run the hot tap (it takes a bit to actually become boiling hot), cover my hands with soap, and then scrub them under the tap.

As for dishes, I fill a 1/4 of the sink with boiling hot water from the tap (I let it run for a bit first before putting the plug in) and then 1/4 cold. That seems to get the temperature perfect for me.

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Alchemist
#8691 Old 23rd Nov 2020 at 5:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CrystalFlame360
For hand washing, I just run the hot tap (it takes a bit to actually become boiling hot), cover my hands with soap, and then scrub them under the tap.

This. We do this in my house and most bathrooms I've seen have separate taps. I mean, there are some newer kitchen sink taps and automated taps that have one that you can adjust the temperature on. But most of my life, I'd say I've seen separate taps and you just mix the water, or use the hot one, wash your hands and go. I don't know anyone that fills the sink just to wash hands.

For dishes, it's more common to fill up the sink, but my family doesn't ever do that, and before my family got a dishwasher a few years ago, we just let the water run as we washed. Yeah, it's pretty wasteful, but eh.

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Field Researcher
#8692 Old 23rd Nov 2020 at 6:24 PM
In North America we rarely (if ever!) have separate hot and cold taps. I know a lot of the older houses and businesses were built with separate taps, but most new places use a blender tap. As for washing, I usually just wash my hands while the water is running. I also don't fill up the sink to wash my face, just use running water and shut the tap off while I scrub before I need to rinse.

Also, this is a very odd conversation to have. I love it.
Mad Poster
#8693 Old 23rd Nov 2020 at 7:44 PM
However we got on this topic: would like to know where everyone lives. I'm US, and we use wash clothes on our faces. It was an education to go to France, where you can't even buy a wash clothes. Something about them being unsanitary. Is that correct? How do you wash your face? I love a hot clothe on my face (no soap) in the morning.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
#8694 Old 24th Nov 2020 at 12:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pinkdynamite
In North America we rarely (if ever!) have separate hot and cold taps. I know a lot of the older houses and businesses were built with separate taps, but most new places use a blender tap. As for washing, I usually just wash my hands while the water is running. I also don't fill up the sink to wash my face, just use running water and shut the tap off while I scrub before I need to rinse.

Also, this is a very odd conversation to have. I love it.

I live in the USA (North America) and have lived in the Southeast and Northeast and have always had 2 taps (cold and hot). Even in newer homes.
Mad Poster
#8695 Old 24th Nov 2020 at 1:08 AM
Weird, I've only ever seen a single tap in the US - I've lived in the Southwest, PNW, Midwest, and now New England.
Mad Poster
#8696 Old 24th Nov 2020 at 2:12 AM
Debby, you're probably thinking of the handles. When they say double tap, they mean one faucet for cold, one for hot, so you've got hot water coming in from one side of the sink and cold from the other. Those really modern single-handle sinks where you have to maneuver one handle to the position of the optimum temperature, is a fairly new arrangement as in "last 30 years and I still can't figure it out when I try to use the facilities in the hotel room."

I've been in houses with the two-faucet arrangement, but not for a long time and they were all very old houses with the original plumbing. We're talking "Yay the farm's finally getting water inside! We'll enclose the side porch for the bathroom!" old original, where there's also a toilet tank with a pullchain six feet off the ground.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Top Secret Researcher
#8697 Old 24th Nov 2020 at 2:51 AM
Wait, there are sinks with separate FAUCETS? I was just complaining about the handles. Mine can't find the balance between too cold and scalding hot. And how exactly does one effectively wash dishes without running extra water?

=^..^=
Mad Poster
#8698 Old 24th Nov 2020 at 3:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Debby, you're probably thinking of the handles. When they say double tap, they mean one faucet for cold, one for hot, so you've got hot water coming in from one side of the sink and cold from the other. Those really modern single-handle sinks where you have to maneuver one handle to the position of the optimum temperature, is a fairly new arrangement as in "last 30 years and I still can't figure it out when I try to use the facilities in the hotel room."

I've been in houses with the two-faucet arrangement, but not for a long time and they were all very old houses with the original plumbing. We're talking "Yay the farm's finally getting water inside! We'll enclose the side porch for the bathroom!" old original, where there's also a toilet tank with a pullchain six feet off the ground.

That is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Every house I have lived in has had a cold and a hot faucet. Even Walmart, restaurants, any public restroom has double faucets. Even Disney World and Sea World has double faucets. I think in all my years I have only once seen a single one.
Mad Poster
#8699 Old 24th Nov 2020 at 3:59 AM
The two-faucet arrangement is very rare these days but it was real enough. Remember when they were first put in, people were used to washing under the pump (water straight from the well or the cistern) or in a washtub with water heated on the stove. They ran a pipe from the water heater and one straight from the well or cistern and everyone was so used to either washing their hands in cold water or scrubbing them off in a washtub that putting in a plug and filling the basin with water adjusted to comfort felt luxurious and lazy. Washing hands under the faucet directly evolved over time and once it did, mixing the two sides in the pipe at the sink started happening and two faucets became inconvenient from that point. As for your problem with the handles - perhaps you need to adjust the temperature in your water heater.

Washing dishes can be done with a surprisingly small amount of water, as anyone who's lived in the desert can tell you. First you scrape the dishes well and possibly wipe off the loosest, wettest stuff with a paper towel or a sponge. Then you run the water just long enough to get hot and fill the sink to a depth of (depending on drought conditions) two to three inches with soapy water. Dump the silverware in. If you have a double sink, fill the second one to a similar level with clean water; if you don't, do it with a basin; if you don't have a basin you will have to run rinse water but be sparing with it. Don't actually immerse most of the dishes, but dip your rag or sponge and bring the water up to wet the dish. Wash the glasses, then the silverware (which you should wash and rinse in small bunches so as not to miss the little bits on the forks; be careful of the knives!), then the bowls and plates, then the pots and pans working from cleanest to dirtiest. If your rinsewater gets too cloudy to rinse properly you'll have to dump it and run more but you'd be surprised how seldom this happens. If you've scraped the dishes properly, the soapy water will stay clean enough till the final pots and pans.

I'm very surprised to hear you get the double faucets even in commercial buildings, Debby! I haven't seen one in years, that I can recall. But I also don't move around as much anymore as I did once, so maybe they're more common outside Texas.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Alchemist
#8700 Old 24th Nov 2020 at 4:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Debby1957
That is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Every house I have lived in has had a cold and a hot faucet. Even Walmart, restaurants, any public restroom has double faucets. Even Disney World and Sea World has double faucets. I think in all my years I have only once seen a single one.

Where do you live that every place around you has two spigots per sink? I'm not sure anyone in my life would know what to do with such a setup at first, and I could see a lot of people accidentally scalding themselves by only using the hot tap.
Page 348 of 445