Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#576 Old 25th Aug 2018 at 9:13 AM
The outside is pretty, @AndrewGloria!
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#577 Old 26th Aug 2018 at 9:09 PM
Hi everyone, I'm so sorry about not getting my entry in on time. I'm not sure if I will be able to submit my round 4 entry within any reasonable amount of time because classes have started for me and I got caught up with university. It's already past the deadline so at this point I'm just losing points by not having it done.... and unfortunately I don't know if I'll be able to get it done. I might eventually be able to, but probably as a play-along if anything since it'll likely be a while until I can dedicate time to gaming again

Count me out of the last round. Sorry everyone
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#578 Old 26th Aug 2018 at 11:53 PM
I am only waiting on one judge's scores now, so it's too late to enter sorry @Modder You can still put up your pictures and I would still put you on the table though.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#579 Old 28th Aug 2018 at 12:13 AM Last edited by AndrewGloria : 29th Aug 2018 at 2:09 AM.
I've finished decorating the Singles girls' rooms -- which means I just have to take some pictures, move them in, play-test that everything works, and write up my Round 4 Play-along entry post. Which in turn means I should get it in in the next day or two -- before the contest completely closes! Sorry I've been so slow, Jo.

I would very much appreciate it if anyone would like to give me feedback on any of my play-along entries so far: Round 1 - Loner, Round 2 - Beaker and Round 3 - Curious.

[EDIT] The Singles have now moved in and I'm taking the pictures. I've had to rearrange some of the furniture to make it usable, but haven't had to spend any more money.

Thanks Justpetro for the comments -- and the scores! .

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#580 Old 28th Aug 2018 at 4:13 PM
Here I go, @AndrewGloria:

( have done it rather quickly, but I think it is very close to the points I would have given you. Judging has probably taught me more about building than anything else I think I know why it is so hard to win a contest now. The things that stood out for me in the stars of this contest was the amazing attention they paid to detail (I am not sure I am even able to do that). I also really sighed with relief when the scores came out and I could see I am in line with the other judges. I know you are a play along and these things are not so important for that, but I hope it helps anyway).
Round 1 - Loner - Total: 21.5/30
Building skill : 4
Outside: 4.5
Interior Decor 3.5
Suitability 4.5
Playbility 5
The landscaping is nice - especially at the path; I don't like the red windows and doors
Decor - you have a lot of empty spaces; the walls and floors are fine, though, although some of the colours seem a bit bright - it is mostly the emptiness that bothers me and not enough attention to detail.
Suitability - I am not sure if a hair dresser is the right choice for a loner like Ajay.
Playability good.
Round 2 Beaker - 22/25
I think it looks very much like the original - so
Build skill 4
Outside: 4 (I do like the fence)
Interior: 4 (Still empty, but not as empty as the other one, I feel the television set should be against a wall so that it can be plugged in.
Suitability - 5
Playability - 5

Round 3 Curious 22/25
Build skills - 4 - I like what you did to make it Curious-like on the roof; but there is a lot of other wasted space on the outside.
Outside - 4 - Like the cacti, not sure you did enough with the rest of the yard.
Interior Decor: 4 - the empty spaces again - I know it is hard to fill them up, but it is needed. I would like the brothers to have double beds as well. They are grown men after all and will probably need them at some stage. I am not sure if there is any excuse for that green toilet
Suitability - 5
Playability 5
Mad Poster
#581 Old 28th Aug 2018 at 11:37 PM Last edited by gazania : 29th Aug 2018 at 11:06 AM.
I, too realize that I will probably never win a contest. I might be up there ONE day, but never win it ... unless everyone else drops out!

For one thing. I confess to not having the patience to pay attention to small details ... clutter, garden arrangements. CC etc. I try to design the lot with a possible upload in mind, and I like to keep the list no more than a dozen CC items or so. This does not mean I don't futz around in my game ... I think the Art Deco Hotel I submitted for the building challenge (the revised one) might show a glimmer or two of that. But it's kind of in my nature not to load any lot with small details ... not even a contest lot. I keep getting this voice wondering, "Am I overdoing it?", and I tend to restrain myself ... probably too much.

Secondly, landscaping is NOT my strong point.

And thirdly, I prefer flat lots. Again, I have a thought of a future upload in my head if I enter a contest or challenge (even though I don't often upload my stuff because I have this silly habit of NOT making them in a fresh game, and my good game is hug-bugged, so the only way to make an upload as safe as we possibly know for downloaders would be to rebuild the lot entirely in the fresh game. When WILL I learn to make a base lot in the new game FIRST? Le sigh.) The lighthouse I did in the last contest actually had wee little hills in the sand, and that's as far as I've gone! Oh, and some of the dance studio's gardens are very slightly elevated (drainage, you know). Maybe it's a start?

Wonderful lots, all, and I hope that some of you will upload them here soon!

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#582 Old 28th Aug 2018 at 11:49 PM
Next time I run a building contest it will be a beginners one, so only open to people who have not placed top 3.

Okay, I have all the judges scores and comments and will work on that today. Expect scores to be up in a couple of days.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#583 Old 29th Aug 2018 at 7:16 AM
@gazania - good to see you

I think this contest was difficult! All the contestants can build and all the entries were good, and many of them were very good. When I say attention to detail, I don't mean clutter or custom content (although some of the cc were spectacular).It is also about the way the rooms were divided, if the rooms inside are of the same quality (pretty bathroom next to ugly bedroom thing); As for landscaping: the outside in this contest was worth 5 points - that was judged on the wall paper and the garden. So it was not all about plants, the space around the house should have been used to earn those 5 points.

Judging was really, really hard!
Mad Poster
#584 Old 29th Aug 2018 at 11:03 AM Last edited by gazania : 29th Aug 2018 at 11:14 AM.
Well, I didn't mean spawning a bunch of clutter for the sake of clutter!

I mean remembering to put a small flower here or an interesting shelf item there. Bathrooms with a step-up hot tub. That sort of thing. If I had $5 for every time I saw so many entries and thought, "Why didn't I think of that?", I could make some money out of the deal!

I still admire you judges, by the way. These entries all looked great in their own way. Great contest!

And in a totally, totally off-topic observation ... now if you delete a thread, it's deleted? As in all traces gone? Not even "thread/post deleted by _____"? Knowing my reputation, I'm almost tempted to deliberately delete this post to see if I'm seeing correctly. I'll behave, though!

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Mad Poster
#585 Old 29th Aug 2018 at 12:06 PM
I know that "Why didn't I think of that?" feeling so well
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#586 Old 30th Aug 2018 at 6:04 AM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 30th Aug 2018 at 10:34 AM.
Here we go, scores and comments for round 4 plus the winner of the contest.

Round 4 Judging Scores and Comments!

And...

The winner is......

Kukamuukaanmuka!

With a grand total of 296 points. :lovestruc

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#587 Old 30th Aug 2018 at 7:26 AM
Congratulations, @Kukamuukaanmuka
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#588 Old 30th Aug 2018 at 8:15 AM
Congrats @Kukamuukaanmuka ! And well done to all who entered and played along. Thanks to all judges and @joandsarah77 , it was fun!

Fanta all round, I think!

(Extra one for Petro the barkeep )

Quote: Originally posted by Judge 2
I'm not sure about changing a community lot to residential. That was a bit of a liberty that perhaps should've been asked for first.

Well, I did expect to be disqualified for that, as well as for all the other liberties I took on that one.
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#589 Old 30th Aug 2018 at 8:27 AM
Congrats to everyone. You all did really well and made the job of judging very difficult. You've all improved on the original houses magnificently. Thanks to joandsarah77 for another fun contest.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#590 Old 30th Aug 2018 at 10:42 AM
Congratulations everyone, the table is updated.
@randomlyyellstuff came second and @simsample third.

Love the Fanta picture. :D

Thank you judges!

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#591 Old 30th Aug 2018 at 2:06 PM
Conratulations to @randomlyyellatsutff and @simsample as well! (@simsample - we have a saying in our flower club - if you can break the rules without breaking them, you have made it ).

Ellu, you have really knocked it out of the park! I will even have a Fanta.

To all the other contestants; congratulations to you for completing the round - all your entries were great, and all of you made judging very difficult,

Now, can we talk about what we are going to drink after the Fanta?
Screenshots
Instructor
#592 Old 30th Aug 2018 at 2:19 PM
Scores are out! *yells inside* Congratulations everyone, we saw some wonderful entries along the whole contest! You all did a great job. I learned some things which will definitely help me improve. Special congratulations to Ellu for winning! And to randomlyyellstuff and simsample for the other two spots at the podium. I am also quite proud of my 4th place And, I got a perfect score from one of the judges, finally. Hurray! It means I'm improving

Do y'all mind if I go steal some of your Fanta? @Justpetro how about we go to that place over in Ellu's Strangetown?

Thank you jo and thank you to all the judges for judging. It's been a pleasure to take part in this contest.

Nice Rachel we're having.
My C:Simblr!
Mad Poster
#593 Old 30th Aug 2018 at 2:22 PM
That sounds good to me - let's go to that place over in Ellu's Strangetown

I do want to mention one contestant here - incredible progress and improvement, nailing the last round - great work, @Simoleon37
Mad Poster
#594 Old 30th Aug 2018 at 2:45 PM Last edited by AndrewGloria : 30th Aug 2018 at 3:08 PM.
Congratulations Ellu! That's very close to being a perfect score. It's remarkable to maintain such a high standard across all 4 rounds. And, as I recall, you very nearly didn't compete: I think originally you were going to be a judge? Congratulations again! And thanks for following me on tumblr -- I've got a new follower who I'm sure must be you. I'll have to give you and my other followers something new to look at there!

Thanks Justpetro for posting those scores just as if I was in the contest proper. I think they really confirm where I am as a Sims builder. I score well on playability and suitability. That shouldn't surprise me. I suppose I really build for my Sims and let them be the judges of what I have built. Which I think I think is fair enough -- they have to live in the houses I give them! If they tell me that what I've built isn't usable, I'll change it soon enough! Suitability is about building a house for the Sims who will live in it, and I certainly do that. I think Jo's last contest helped me in that respect. Suitability and storytelling go together -- I'm building a house (or other lot) for the story I plan to tell in it. My stories are all joint productions from me and my Sims. In general I paint the broad brushstrokes and they add the details. Free Will is always on, so they always have an input. At the moment I'm play-testing the Singles in 57 Road to Nowhere. Only I'm not just play-testing -- I'm playing them. I sent Kristen up to the attic room to test that she could use the loft ladder (which I had placed with MoveObjects on) and various things in the room, and I had to move some things around before she could use them. That's play-testing. But later in the day, when the Welcome Wagon guests were in the house, I sent Chloe on an extended shopping trip to buy sexier underwear. She took Erin with her and bought stuff for Erin as well: the stuff she bought for Erin was more demure than she bought for herself, but it was more revealing than what Maxis had given her. There's something interesting developing between Chloe and Erin: it's just friendship at the moment but who knows where it's going? (Maybe Chloe knows?) That's not play-testing: that's playing! And I can't resist doing it -- it's what I have been looking forward to doing all the time I was building. Not the thing between Chloe and Erin, which I certainly didn't anticipate, but all the time I was building, I was looking forward to meeting these girls and seeing how things worked out when they shared the house.

The green toilet in the Curious house? Well there's rather a lot of green furniture and furnishings in that house. But there are two young children with green skin, and the brothers think that plenty of green in the décor will help the children to feel at home and relaxed. There's a lot of green in my house for the Singles too, but then there are two grown-up "green" children living there, and I reckon Lola had the lion's say in deciding how to decorate the communal parts of the house. The Curious brothers single beds? I suppose I just gave them the kind of bed they had in their old house. They have various colours of bedclothes, but they all have green canopies. I might have given at least some of them double beds if I'd had a double version of that decidedly futuristic-looking bed. Maybe a CC one exists -- I'm afraid I didn't bother to look.

Clutter? I'm incorrigibly messy in Real Life and am surrounded by unnecessary clutter. To the extent that I sometimes have "routing issues"! Maybe my uncluttered Simming is a bit of a reaction against that. Perhaps too I'm even influenced by my teenage Sim friend Andrew. Andrew, a Virgo, is a real neat freak. He hates clutter. He would have ten pink fits if he saw my room! I can hear him saying, "I don't know how you can live in this mess!" He'd throw three quarters of my stuff out without even asking. And the thing is, in my heart I know he's right. (He invariably is!) I suppose I don't put things into my Sims world that my Sims won't actually use -- well not to much of it anyway. I too don't think I'll ever achieve the build quality to win a Sims building contest. I'm not sure if I even want to. I'm too keen to get on with the really fun stuff of playing the lot. In truth I think I might actually prefer being a play-along rather than a contestant. I feel it gives me a little more flexibility in how I interpret the brief -- I can build what appeals to me, without worrying about dropping a few points. In my normal gameplay my Sims tend to adapt and improve their houses over their lifetimes as they live in them. So the idea of them moving into a "perfect" house from day 1 is a little strange to me. So the Curious brothers may well change to double beds in the future if any of them feel the need. At the moment providing a good, safe and stimulating environment for young Titus and Andromeda to grow up is more important to them.

Anyway this contest has certainly brought some benefits to some of my Sims. The Curious brothers have now got a castle to live in. And I'd never have given the Singles an unlimited budget if Jo hadn't done that for me. (Lola says, "Thanks, Jo!") They've now each with their own double room in a well-appointed substantial dwelling, that still leaves plenty of scope for future development.

I think I've only got one more picture (Kristen's room) to take before I make my final selection of pictures and post. (Though I admit I can be a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to writing those posts.) I'll do it as soon as Real Life lets me. Hope that's ok.

[EDIT] P.S. I know some people are trying to contact me by PM and my inbox is full. I'll clear some stuff out of it as soon I've got my play-along round 4 entry posted. I reckon I've caused Jo more than enough bother by being so slow, and I owe it to her to make that my priority. If anyone has anything for me that really can't wait, please just post here in the open forum. Or it should still be possible to send me an email through the MTS interface.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#595 Old 30th Aug 2018 at 3:01 PM
*Wonders what she unleashed, giving Lola unlimited funds*

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#596 Old 30th Aug 2018 at 3:52 PM
Congratulations everyone, and especially @Kukamuukaanmuka! So happy things resolved for you to get your final entry in as I have loved seeing them. This contest has been so fun to see everyone's interpretations of all of these different lots! I've really so enjoyed it and am thrilled with second place! Thanks judges and Jo for all of your work
Space Pony
#597 Old 30th Aug 2018 at 7:43 PM
Wow, yay! Thank you Jo for hosting this great contest, thank you judges and thank you all the fellow contestants and play alongs! All lots were so great and so unique! :lovestruc :lovestruc :lovestruc :lovestruc

~~~~Call me Ellu ~~~

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#598 Old 30th Aug 2018 at 8:02 PM
@Kukamuukaanmuka !

*simsample hugs @randomlyyellstuff and Kukamuukaanmuka*
Mad Poster
#599 Old 30th Aug 2018 at 8:54 PM
Ah, Rip is such a cutie - and smart of him to hide those bottles for us I LOVe the bar and all the messing you did, Ellu
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#600 Old 30th Aug 2018 at 11:28 PM
Love the picture stories Ellu. :D

~Call me Jo~

Page 24 of 25