Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 28th Jun 2007 at 3:17 PM
The last time I went to the emergency room was when my sister did a cartwheel in the living room and ended up breaking her arm. This was like the beginning of this year I think, it was on a day like a Tuesday or something so it wasn't crowded there but we were there forever.
They redid the emergency room from when I was there last and it was nicer and had flat screens all over the place playing stupid baseball and yeah that gets pretty boring.
I think we got there around 7pmish and I left around midnight and my sister and parents didn't come back until after 2am or so. The place was practically empty so I don't know why it took so long just to set her arm back, I'd hate to see the wait if it was on a weekend and was actually crowded. They would of been there until the next day or something.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#27 Old 29th Jun 2007 at 12:11 AM
I live in a small town in the midwestern part of the US so its not the wait in the ER that'll kill you its the incompentency of the doctors. Last summer I nearly lost my mother because of the idiot doctor in the local ER. We were coming home from a trip to visit my older brother when my mom came down with severe abdominal pain, for awhile she thought that she just had really bad gas so she didn't do much about it. The next day, Sunday, she still was feeling really horrible but still didn't want to go to the ER but during the night the pain got so bad my dad finally made her go to the ER to get checked out. The doctor she saw told her she was just having an allergic reaction to something told her to take some over-the-counter medicine and sent her home. By Monday morning the pain was so severe she could hardly even walk any more so Dad drove her 60 miles to the nearest big city, within minutes of seeing a doctor there she was diagnosed with having a severe hernia and was in surgery just hours later! The the second doctor she saw couldn't believe that the ER doc missed the diagnosis of the hernia because it was so bad he really didn't have to do an extensive examination.
My mom's story is only one of a number of horrible stories I've heard about the local ER. The clinics in town are ok but if its an emergency you're better off driving the 60 miles to the big city.

If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world.
C.S. Lewis
#28 Old 29th Jun 2007 at 5:18 PM
one time i got my finger caught in a door and my finger was turning blue and i waited in the ER for like 3 hours

grr
Test Subject
#29 Old 29th Jun 2007 at 6:41 PM
The emergency room in my town is utterly ridiculous.
Being that I live in Canada I get free health care but the fact that I live in a relatively small town and that the hospital is understaffed has a huge impact on the efficiency of our E.R. I have had to wait three hours in the waiting room before even being brought in for examination......while in extreme pain.
Now I've just found out that there is a huge possibility of our hospital going from being non-denominational to Catholic. This means that there will be no more vasectomies, tubal ligations or abortions performed at our hospital. Nor will there be any counseling services for gay/lesbian/bisexual individuals or couples. They also are thinking of closing the E.R. between the hours of 7 pm. and 7 a.m. which means a half hour drive to the nearest hospital equipped with an emergency room.
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 29th Jun 2007 at 9:48 PM
Default Umm...
Well Catherine Zeta Jones went there to have her baby...I think that says enough...
#31 Old 1st Jul 2007 at 7:31 PM
Where I live right now is not too terrible, although when I had about two or three hundred pound of drywall land on my leg, pinning it between the drywall and this elevated asphalt ledge at my fiance's house, they refused to take x-rays because "even if there was a crack, there wasn't really anything they could do".

The hospital where I lived in Perth was horrible. I passed out one day when I was getting out of the bathtub and landed on my head. It hurt badly and felt squishy-ish in the back where I hit it. I went to the hospital, and they just felt it and asked if it hurt. It did, and they refused to check it out beyond poking at it a bit. I don't know exactly what I did to it, but someone accidentally touched it a few months later, and it still hurt.
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 2nd Jul 2007 at 1:44 PM
okay i have a story, i had some intestinal problem in January and there was barely any wait, and this was AFTER 8 hours of my dad putting it off THE DANG ER WAS FASTER WHEN I COULD'VE gone in like 5 or 6 hours earlier

i also had a stomach problem in march and we only had to wait for 25 minutes i think

so childrens hospital in Pittsburgh gets a 9/10 only becasuse sometimes it is looooooong waiting times for a doctor to come but when they leave the room its only for like 5 minutes
Test Subject
#33 Old 3rd Jul 2007 at 5:50 PM
Last time I went to A&E was near my old house, but it was fine. I waited about 20 minutes to see the triage nurse, who sent me down to X-ray, where I sat for just a few minutes before having my X-rays done. The longest wait was next, about half an hour to see a doctor and have the X-rays looked over, and then he sent me off to get my wrist put in a cast. Waited a few more minutes while someone else had the cast on their leg finished, then got seen and I was all set and ready to go. But then this was a Tuesday afternoon, probably not the busiest time in A&E. Most of the other people there were school kids with football injuries and whatever.
Page 2 of 2