Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Jun 2019 at 10:56 PM
Default How to present a custom animation in an upload
Hope you can help me with this:

I made a pose pack I want to share. It also contains some simple custom animations.
Now, I wonder how to present that, because only screenshots will not really show the animation. I made some footage and edited it, posted it on YouTube. Is it allowed to put a link to the video? If not, how to proceed?
What are your thoughts on this? Feedback is greatly appreciated.

About the poses: it's about a mother (or father) and a toddler. The toddler was naughty, the mother was scolding the child. Grabbing the arm, pointing towards the toddler. Another animation where she waves 'stop'. The toddler is crying and shaking her head. It's a mix and match.

To give an impression some screenshots, but you can also look here.

Looking at these I made in July 2017, I'm not even sure if I should upload at all.
Or maybe only do the poses?
So comments on the poses themselves are also welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 10th Jun 2019 at 1:07 PM Last edited by Victor_tor : 10th Jun 2019 at 1:19 PM.
Hello. If you want to upload here at MTS, you can make a low quality gif. But since you are using youtube you can use youtube brackets iside a thread

As for animations. Everything is incredible for me. I can't see everything bad and the idea to put a finger to toddler's mouth is welcome very much. Because my nephiew do so.
Also @TheSweetToddler could probably say you much since she advanced at custom animation with toddlers.

Regards
Vic ^_^

Here you can see more of my creations and conversions for sims 3. ;) I`ll glad to see your comments in.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Jun 2019 at 10:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Victor_tor
Hello. If you want to upload here at MTS, you can make a low quality gif. But since you are using youtube you can use youtube brackets iside a thread

As for animations. Everything is incredible for me. I can't see everything bad and the idea to put a finger to toddler's mouth is welcome very much. Because my nephiew do so.
Also @TheSweetToddler could probably say you much since she advanced at custom animation with toddlers.

Regards
Vic ^_^

Hi Vic,
Thanks for answering my questions.

I will try to find more of TheSweetToddler's work. The screenshots of the animations I found were absolutely high quality. In my opinion, we can learn so much from each other.

I'm still learning how to animate, although I made progression in the last 2 years. However, I never made a gif before . I'd rather put time and effort in new animations, then learning to make a gif. So I will go for the YouTube brackets then.

As for the quality, I already made another animation - better I think - but needs testing in game.

Hopefully, there are others to comment on the poses/animation itself.

grtz, Frann
Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator
#4 Old 11th Jun 2019 at 1:32 PM
Hey @buitefr1 Victor mentioned me to see if I could help you, so here I go! I saw your animations, they are okay, but if you want to make them look good you'll have to observe how the human body moves and works. That was one key that unlocked better animation for me. I don't use references, but they are really good for making good animations too, because not only you're copying the poses your reference body makes, you get to memorize how certain poses are. As for me, I always used to struggle on how a Sim would look when crouched down, but I used myself as a reference and over time I memorized the pose. Another good thing to keep in mind is gravity and physics, remember that when you're waving your hand, your body follows along with the wave but in a small way, or just moves around because of the vibration of your hand moving quickly.
Now, while I was looking at the toddler animation, I saw how the movement of the head was. Again, you did okay but you must remember how things start moving and how they stop, this is called the Slow in and slow out animation principle. Imagine a car, it doesn't start out going really fast, it starts out slow, then speeding, and then when it plans to stop, it stops but slowly. While you did good when the toddler first starts moving her head, while she was shaking her head she was doing it in a constant speed. You should use the Slow in and slow out animation principle for this too, when the head goes to one side, give it a chance to stop, so that it can start going to the other side again.

Okay, well I wasn't here to criticize your animations in any way, I just wanted to give you tips on how you can get them to look smooth and realistic. But don't worry, we all start out doing something "badly" but as we gain skill and learn about what we're doing we'll get better over time. I first started animating back when I was 6 years old, on the Nintendo DSI. I only made pictures as a story, but as I gained more skill I actually started animating with keyframes and so on. But of course since I was still very young then, I stopped, but started again when I was 12, this time with 3D animation. And even now, a couple years later, I'm still learning so I can tell you that animation is a good talent that takes time to master. I'll give you a link to this amazing video that tells you all about the 12 principles of animation, which are very helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDqjIdI4bF4

Right, so that's all for now, good luck!

- When one gets inspired by the other, the one inspires another - Anything is Possible.

You can view some of my WIPs and other stuff for TS3 on my Twitter here ---> https://twitter.com/SweetSavanita
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 12th Jun 2019 at 7:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TheSweetToddler
Hey @buitefr1 Victor mentioned me to see if I could help you, so here I go! I saw your animations, they are okay, but if you want to make them look good you'll have to observe how the human body moves and works. That was one key that unlocked better animation for me. I don't use references, but they are really good for making good animations too, because not only you're copying the poses your reference body makes, you get to memorize how certain poses are. As for me, I always used to struggle on how a Sim would look when crouched down, but I used myself as a reference and over time I memorized the pose. Another good thing to keep in mind is gravity and physics, remember that when you're waving your hand, your body follows along with the wave but in a small way, or just moves around because of the vibration of your hand moving quickly.
Now, while I was looking at the toddler animation, I saw how the movement of the head was. Again, you did okay but you must remember how things start moving and how they stop, this is called the Slow in and slow out animation principle. Imagine a car, it doesn't start out going really fast, it starts out slow, then speeding, and then when it plans to stop, it stops but slowly. While you did good when the toddler first starts moving her head, while she was shaking her head she was doing it in a constant speed. You should use the Slow in and slow out animation principle for this too, when the head goes to one side, give it a chance to stop, so that it can start going to the other side again.

Okay, well I wasn't here to criticize your animations in any way, I just wanted to give you tips on how you can get them to look smooth and realistic. But don't worry, we all start out doing something "badly" but as we gain skill and learn about what we're doing we'll get better over time. I first started animating back when I was 6 years old, on the Nintendo DSI. I only made pictures as a story, but as I gained more skill I actually started animating with keyframes and so on. But of course since I was still very young then, I stopped, but started again when I was 12, this time with 3D animation. And even now, a couple years later, I'm still learning so I can tell you that animation is a good talent that takes time to master. I'll give you a link to this amazing video that tells you all about the 12 principles of animation, which are very helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDqjIdI4bF4

Right, so that's all for now, good luck!

thanks for your comments and tips. I'm aware there is room for much improvements. First: These were actually poses, but I thought it to be nice to make the no-no movement for the todd. And it has been 2 years since I made these. so later animations are much better. We could have contact in your discord to discuss improvement? s Saw a part of speed animating in Blender. You made your own rigs? I do have to learn also about ik's and fk's.
But it has to wait for now. I broke my wrist yesterday and it has to be operated. no animating for a couple of weeks for sure. I'm really sad about that. but I will come back to it.

grtz Frann
Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator
#6 Old 12th Jun 2019 at 5:57 PM
Okay, right. I forgot you made them a while ago! My bad.
Okay, well I'll give you my Discord username through PM. And yes, I have made my own rigs because I could never find any of my liking that had all that advanced stuff and things. I can teach you all about animation, ik, fk, 12 principles etc. I'm also really sorry about your wrist, I hope you get better soon!

- When one gets inspired by the other, the one inspires another - Anything is Possible.

You can view some of my WIPs and other stuff for TS3 on my Twitter here ---> https://twitter.com/SweetSavanita