Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#1376 Old 15th Sep 2006 at 5:08 PM
Actually, what a coincidence, I'm having a problem using the Woman in Gray statue as well. In my case, I cloned it to make a mesh of a mannequin (torso) on top of a decorative set of shelves. But when I go to import the .obj file from MilkShape back into SimPE, I get a message saying that the item has too many vertices. I don't see how this can be possible, since it has considerably fewer vertices than the original sculpture. And because of this, I can't go any further with it. Does anyone else have the same problem?
Screenshots

"When the first baby laughed for the first time, the laugh broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies." --James Barrie
Advertisement
Part-time Hermit
#1377 Old 15th Sep 2006 at 6:04 PM
munchkin_brat, that's because the object has 3 GUIDs but you have only changed 1 of them. You need get new GUIDs for all 3 .

mistletoesquest, it is completely possible a Maxis mesh has more vertices than the recommended limit in SimPE. Some Maxis objects go way over what Maxis themselves consider a good limit. What you can do in this case is go to the SimPE Preferences (under Extra), and under SimPE Settings check the Advanced Mode tab, then restart SimPE. Now there should be no limit with importing vertices.
Inventor
#1378 Old 15th Sep 2006 at 8:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by IgnorantBliss
Reyn, when you make an object borrow textures from another, you need to edit the Geometric Node. You need to follow the Procedure B in this tutorial by Numenor.

The shadow texture you have in the package is not being used, the Shape still refers to the original object for the shadow. You will need to point the shadow subsets to the material definition file of the shadow in your package by copying and pasting the filename into the Material Definition File field in Shape (minus the _txmt extension)

Thanks! Sorry not to reply sooner but I've been really busy with work.

Reyn Silversong-Sim Architect

Terms of Use-All of my stuff is available for use anywhere that is free. All I ask is credit and a link back to the objects in question, or the house they are featured with. DO NOT POST ON THE EXCHANGE!
Test Subject
#1379 Old 15th Sep 2006 at 11:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by IgnorantBliss
mistletoesquest, it is completely possible a Maxis mesh has more vertices than the recommended limit in SimPE. Some Maxis objects go way over what Maxis themselves consider a good limit. What you can do in this case is go to the SimPE Preferences (under Extra), and under SimPE Settings check the Advanced Mode tab, then restart SimPE. Now there should be no limit with importing vertices.

OK, that seemed to do the trick! Thanks!

Now for some reason, it seems to be lying on its back in the preview, and the original sculpture doesn't appear to have been replaced even though I chose "Replace". I'll try to muck around with it on my own; see what I can figure out.

"When the first baby laughed for the first time, the laugh broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies." --James Barrie
Part-time Hermit
#1380 Old 15th Sep 2006 at 11:06 PM
Which method are you using to import you mesh from your 3D editor? Does it include the Mesh Tool? Because that will get your object lying on its back unless you change the Order to XYZ from XZY before exporting the mesh in the first place. I recommend you go through JWoods' object tutorial you can find in the tutorial section, it covers all the important basics about object creation.
Test Subject
#1381 Old 15th Sep 2006 at 11:34 PM
Once again, you are correct. Thanks for alerting me to the step I skipped.

Retired Duck
retired moderator
#1382 Old 16th Sep 2006 at 12:45 AM
munchkin_brat - You need to change the GUIDs for all of the OBJD files in the package, not just the first one.
Test Subject
#1383 Old 16th Sep 2006 at 7:17 PM
Thank you Ignorantbliss and Echo. I did not realize it had 3 GUID's. For some reason I did not check that. I will try to fix it next week. Again, thank you so much.
Test Subject
#1384 Old 17th Sep 2006 at 1:30 AM
Hello, I was finalizing a 3x3 custom stand alone rug when I came across a little snag in the testing phase that I haven't been able to resolve. Since this same problem seems to have occured in other stand alone rug downloads and seems to be triggered at the very beginning of the project, I'm not sure whether to classify it as a general or a specific object problem, but any help in shining light onto what might cause it would be most appreciated.

For the most part, the rug works great (Well, as far as rugs go anyway), but it seems that unlike the default rugs in the game or recolors of default rugs in the game, custom made stand alone rugs have a bit of a problem that makes it so that the cursor goes null on them when in play, as opposed to the default ones that bring up the default ground actions like "Go Here" or "Run to Here" that act as if the rug was never really there (a good thing). In my tests, the moment this ability is lost seems to be when Fix Integrity is run (Assuming that the object wasn't fixed in the Object Workshop options setup in the first place). I'm not sure why this happens or if it is even possible to fix it (It does occur right after cloning and fixing any new object afterall), but it would be a great deal of help to me if someone could look into it, thank you.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#1385 Old 17th Sep 2006 at 4:31 AM Last edited by Echo : 17th Sep 2006 at 4:39 AM.
Sim Master - Well... There were quite a few things wonky in this package!

The first is the way you renumbered the OBJDs - The instance numbers are in hex, so they go 41A8, 41A9, 41AA, 41AB, 41AC, 41AD... 41AF, 41B0, 41B1. They don't go 41A9, 41A10. If hex causes you grief, then open up your windows calculator, go into scientific mode, and you'll see that there's an option for "hex". Select that, and paste your value in. Then change the mode back to decimal and you'll get a more normal number. Add one to that number, then change mode back to hex to get the value you need to put in.

The second is the values you put in the multi-tile sub index field. The values should look something like (excuse my ascii art):
[PHP][ 0 ][256][512][716]
[ 1 ][257][513][717][/PHP]
The numbers you had were a little bit surprising. Not sure what happened there.

The third thing was actually the fault of the original tutorial, because it was written for decorative, non-functional objects and the piano is very definately functional. The OBJf that you cloned to fill in the missing tiles was actually a "lead tile" OBJf, and had special settings specific to only one tile in the object. I changed these back to regular tile OBJfs. When I wrote the tutorial most of the objects people were making weren't this complex, so I didn't put anything in about this problem.

The fourth thing is that at some point you've deleted a GMDC, but left all the references to it intact. That's a pretty bad idea. If you don't want that part of the piano any more, just replace the mesh in it with something tiny and invisible. Don't delete the whole GMDC file unless you're really confident in what you're doing. I put it back in for now to fix up the scenegraph.

The fifth thing is the ANIMS. I also noticed that you pulled all 56 of the piano anims in your object. I'm assuming that you weren't planning on editing any of these animations and so I deleted them and changed the text list references to them back to the defaults. Having them there will just make your object unneccesarily large and complicated. If you're just remeshing an object (ie - you're not creating new animations) then make sure the "Pull animations" option is disabled when you clone.

THe sixth thing is that you also need to make sure that you change *all* the GUIDs to ones registered to you, not just the new ones and the master. There were three OBJDs that shared GUIDs with the original piano. I've changed them to other GUIDs in your range, but you'd do best to register them so that you don't re-use them.

Finally, make sure you let people know you need Atavera's custom instruments hack installed to use this - I spent about 2 hours trying to track down the "missing BCON" errors I kept getting in the init!

I haven't had a look at the other two files in the package yet, but hopefully the above info will help you with those ones as well!

Edit: I forgot to mention - to make sure that the object was inside the footprint without misaligning the slot for the seat, I actually changed the x-translation in the Practical node of the CRES. It's a bit of a cop-out (It would have been better to move the mesh and update the specific slots that have moved) but it works fine and saved a decent 30 minutes or so of fiddling around. :D
Attached files:
File Type: zip  The Simphonic Pipe Organ Console.zip (180.5 KB, 15 downloads)
Forum Resident
#1386 Old 17th Sep 2006 at 9:44 AM Last edited by bienchen83 : 17th Sep 2006 at 9:57 AM.
Hi again. Today, I´d like to know if and how to change the sound animations of the cheap stereo (the green rings shown on the pic).

I hope someone can help me. Thanks in advance,
bienchen83
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#1387 Old 17th Sep 2006 at 9:54 AM
bienchen - You need to do some BHAV modding for that. Hunt through the BHAVs for lines that say "Effect Start/Stop" and get the code to bypass them. Make sure you get them all though!
Forum Resident
#1388 Old 17th Sep 2006 at 10:04 AM
Thanks, Echo, I´ll try this. But wouldn´t this delete the black notes as well?

EDIT: Oh, the effects have names. So this solves my problem! Thanks a lot!
Field Researcher
#1389 Old 17th Sep 2006 at 6:55 PM Last edited by Mage : 21st Sep 2006 at 8:45 PM.
Another rug question and this is weird.

When I'm trying to take screen shots of rugs in outdoor light a dark shadow moves across as I tilt the camera angle.

I know this was already answered and I fixed all my rugs. I even have screen shots of them fixed.

But now I seem to have the unfixed versions again, although I don't see how. I was thinking I solved the problem before by deleting shadow but there are no shadows in these objects. And "rug" is listed under "no shadow" in the geometric node. I've been searching here for th original answer but can't find it. So I need help again. Thanks.

okaaa..ay.. This problem seems to have spontaneously fixd itself in my game. I didn't turn off the shadows or anything like that...
Screenshots
Forum Resident
#1390 Old 18th Sep 2006 at 3:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Echo
Sim Master - Well... There were quite a few things wonky in this package!

The first is the way you renumbered the OBJDs - The instance numbers are in hex, so they go 41A8, 41A9, 41AA, 41AB, 41AC, 41AD... 41AF, 41B0, 41B1. They don't go 41A9, 41A10. If hex causes you grief, then open up your windows calculator, go into scientific mode, and you'll see that there's an option for "hex". Select that, and paste your value in. Then change the mode back to decimal and you'll get a more normal number. Add one to that number, then change mode back to hex to get the value you need to put in.

The second is the values you put in the multi-tile sub index field. The values should look something like (excuse my ascii art):
[PHP][ 0 ][256][512][716]
[ 1 ][257][513][717][/PHP]
The numbers you had were a little bit surprising. Not sure what happened there.

The third thing was actually the fault of the original tutorial, because it was written for decorative, non-functional objects and the piano is very definately functional. The OBJf that you cloned to fill in the missing tiles was actually a "lead tile" OBJf, and had special settings specific to only one tile in the object. I changed these back to regular tile OBJfs. When I wrote the tutorial most of the objects people were making weren't this complex, so I didn't put anything in about this problem.

The fourth thing is that at some point you've deleted a GMDC, but left all the references to it intact. That's a pretty bad idea. If you don't want that part of the piano any more, just replace the mesh in it with something tiny and invisible. Don't delete the whole GMDC file unless you're really confident in what you're doing. I put it back in for now to fix up the scenegraph.

The fifth thing is the ANIMS. I also noticed that you pulled all 56 of the piano anims in your object. I'm assuming that you weren't planning on editing any of these animations and so I deleted them and changed the text list references to them back to the defaults. Having them there will just make your object unneccesarily large and complicated. If you're just remeshing an object (ie - you're not creating new animations) then make sure the "Pull animations" option is disabled when you clone.

THe sixth thing is that you also need to make sure that you change *all* the GUIDs to ones registered to you, not just the new ones and the master. There were three OBJDs that shared GUIDs with the original piano. I've changed them to other GUIDs in your range, but you'd do best to register them so that you don't re-use them.

Finally, make sure you let people know you need Atavera's custom instruments hack installed to use this - I spent about 2 hours trying to track down the "missing BCON" errors I kept getting in the init!

I haven't had a look at the other two files in the package yet, but hopefully the above info will help you with those ones as well!

Edit: I forgot to mention - to make sure that the object was inside the footprint without misaligning the slot for the seat, I actually changed the x-translation in the Practical node of the CRES. It's a bit of a cop-out (It would have been better to move the mesh and update the specific slots that have moved) but it works fine and saved a decent 30 minutes or so of fiddling around. :D

Well, I guess, I still have plenty of things to learn about making objects! (perhaps my next one won't be near as complicated as a playable instument )

Thank you very much Echo for your help, and explanations. They are a big help! I will be sure to credit you for helping me!

I'm off to test it now... :D
Field Researcher
#1391 Old 22nd Sep 2006 at 2:55 AM Last edited by Pistachio : 9th Oct 2006 at 12:02 PM.
I'm stuck *again* - this isn't a repeat, I did post it but then changed my mind and deleted it.

Problem is my new mesh hottub has a big old square shaped hole in the ground around it, I don't think this is a problem with cloning the hottub in general because I'm sure I've seen other people clone tubs without this problem so its clearly something I've broken so I'd appreciate some input. I've spent a lot of time on this model (you can tell from the date in the filename this has been bugging me for a while) so I really would hate to have to add some horrible square thing around it to cover the gap.

Edited to remove files - I guess I'll just have to give up on this then as no one knows what to do with it
Forum Resident
#1392 Old 25th Sep 2006 at 9:51 PM
Well, I´ve got a problem with one of the last items of my new set. I cloned a vanity mirror, but what is mirrored is the space behind the mirrow, not in front of it (see picture). I haven´t done any mirrors before so I´d be glad for help on how to fix this.

I haven´t attached the package right now, but if anyone thinks this would be helpful I´ll do.

bienchen83
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#1393 Old 26th Sep 2006 at 12:47 PM
Hi I have a problem with recoloring my nex bedroom. I've recolored most of my new meshes with object workshop, but the new recolor doesn't show in game for the bes and for the end- table. I thought i had made some mistake while doing those files, so I redid it but problem is still there. For the bed I have all the beddings colors but no choise in frame color...For the end-table no choise a t all.
Thanks for your help
Nat
Part-time Hermit
#1394 Old 26th Sep 2006 at 2:19 PM Last edited by IgnorantBliss : 26th Sep 2006 at 2:57 PM.
bienchen83, I can't give you detailed instructions, but I do think you need to edit the Resource Node for reflection to get its position correct, since you've moved the mirror from its original place.

natrobo, it's hard to say for sure without seeing the packages, but the most common reason for recolors not working on custom objects is that you didn't update the MMATs for the new main GUID correctly. Check what GUID the MMAT files refer to (the lines called objectGUID in the MMAT). If it still refers to the original Maxis object, it's not going to work. You can manually copy and paste your new main GUID to replace the value that's there, and commit and save. Then you need to do the same to the recolor packages, or create all new recolors.
Forum Resident
#1395 Old 26th Sep 2006 at 2:45 PM
Thanks a lot, Ignorant Bliss. I´ll try this out. If I understand you correctly, this also means that I´ll have to limit the object to one mirror, as there is only one Resource Node entry.
Part-time Hermit
#1396 Old 26th Sep 2006 at 2:56 PM
You could probably have two mirrors if they were in the same plane and facing the same direction. Otherwise, it's probably not possible, or at least is beyond my knowledge
Forum Resident
#1397 Old 26th Sep 2006 at 2:54 PM
Okay, this should not be a problem, I´ll simply texture the handmirror. Thanks again!

Hugs,
bienchen83
Greatest Dad Ever
#1398 Old 26th Sep 2006 at 2:57 PM Last edited by tigmomx4 : 26th Sep 2006 at 2:58 PM. Reason: ps
IB i have a quick question.. I cloned a couch and made an object and then i changed where it would show up for catalogue placement in the main obj file .. it is suppose to be now sorted in decorative misc but doesnt show up under anything now in game is there another place i have to change the main obj file or somewhere else in the package to get this item to show in catalogue ...And btw i did delete the thumbnails and retried it and it still didnt show up ...if you could help that would be cool if not i guess i will just clone another couch or 3 tile obj and try that ...Thanks for any help in advance !

PS i have crappy dialup so adding the package is not an option at this particular time unfortunatly !
Part-time Hermit
#1399 Old 26th Sep 2006 at 4:50 PM
Hmm, I'm not sure why that would happen. Did you remember to commit after you made those changes?
Instructor
#1400 Old 26th Sep 2006 at 4:48 PM
I tryed to make a career driveable.
But it has no animaions.
Can some tell me how I do it?
Pictures:
Screenshots
Locked thread
Page 56 of 60