Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#24276 Old 14th Jul 2020 at 2:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
Jo, it sounds like what you need is invisible floor tiles. Surely somebody must have made them. (Unless they're impossible.?)

Good idea Andrew, don't know why that hadn't crossed my mind.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#24277 Old 14th Jul 2020 at 3:26 PM
No, invisi won't work for this - it's on the ground. Nether.

Jo - I answered you over at Gina's...

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Alchemist
#24278 Old 14th Jul 2020 at 4:07 PM Last edited by Sunrader : 14th Jul 2020 at 7:26 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Radium
As of 2/10/2020 the VC is properly linked to its catalog description. Are you absolutely sure you have the newest version? Sometimes SFS has cache issues and will give you an outdated copy of the file (seems to happen most often when you download a file shortly before & after it is updated), when that happens you need to reload the cache with the F5 key (although enough time has passed since the last update that you'll likely get the correct version if you redownload it now).

I thought I did, but I guess not. I got another one and changed the catalog desc to something unique just to check and it works just fine, of course. I guess I mixed up files somewhere. Thanks for answering!
Mad Poster
#24279 Old 14th Jul 2020 at 4:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
CTRL-Click+drag only works in flat areas, the rest of the shape is curved.
What I need is a tutorial on building a sphere.
Probably going to have to just give up, it was only an idea for a fancy sign. :/

What tutorial is this?

This one here. Not exactly what you're looking for, I'd guess, but it does cover at least some of making curved surfaces with CFE...

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Scholar
#24280 Old 14th Jul 2020 at 5:44 PM Last edited by sturlington : 14th Jul 2020 at 6:04 PM.
A puzzle I can't figure out--I'm hoping someone might have some ideas.

I'm playing the Curious boys house. I haven't done anything to the bizarre terrain outside, if you're familiar with it. My oldest child had no troubles navigating it and getting to the school bus, but my middle child just grew up and she gets stuck going to the school bus. It's like she can't climb the little hill up to the street. I can't flatten the whole terrain because the house itself is set at below street level, so I'm not sure what to do here. I'm also not sure why she gets stuck when no one else does. Any ideas?

Edit: She somehow teleported herself onto the school bus but now when she gets home, she gets stuck again and can't get in the house. She brought a friend home who had no problems.
#24281 Old 14th Jul 2020 at 5:55 PM
Does an owned restaurant suffer if there is only one item on the menu?

My one family all has Grilled Cheese secondary aspirations and I want them to open a Grilled Cheesery. I want it to be so only Grilled Cheese is on the menu, but I'm not sure if having a limited menu will affect a business rating or not. I don't have much experience with playing owned restaurants.
Alchemist
#24282 Old 14th Jul 2020 at 6:11 PM Last edited by Phantomknight : 7th Sep 2020 at 5:10 AM.
BeckyBoo8, I don't think so. I haven't had extensive experience with restaurants, but I don't think the menu is given any consideration when it comes to rank/rating. I double checked the wiki just in case (https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Restaurant) and it didn't mention anything. But, fun fact, apparently being friends with the host/server can lead to discounts on the bill! I knew about the coupon thing, sure, but didn't know about the discounts at all! Anyway, I would think that as long the chef has enough points to not burn the meal, you should be good. I can't recall a business losing customer satisfaction because the customer's favorite food isn't on the menu, but try it. Maxis likes to surprise us with silly things all the time.

And sturlington, sometimes certain sims are like that. Who knows why. You can try using a debugger (like Pescado's or Cyjon's) to nuke invisible things on the lot--idk if there's one specifically for routing. (Maybe someone else will know?) Otherwise you can make the lot flat with cfe or the lot adjuster. CFE might require you to fix every level (use the level terrain tool on each floor) though; lot adjuster might do that automatically (I feel like it does, but it's been a while).

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Scholar
#24283 Old 14th Jul 2020 at 6:44 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I did fix her. I used moveObjects on to delete her from the lot, and when I reloaded it, she was able to navigate just fine.
Forum Resident
#24284 Old 14th Jul 2020 at 7:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BeckyBoo8

My one family all has Grilled Cheese secondary aspirations and I want them to open a Grilled Cheesery. I want it to be so only Grilled Cheese is on the menu, but I'm not sure if having a limited menu will affect a business rating or not. I don't have much experience with playing owned restaurants.

It might. When the sims are waiting at the podium, they're looking at the menu. If you don't have what they like, it will make it harder to get the sale.
Alchemist
#24285 Old 14th Jul 2020 at 7:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BeckyBoo8

My one family all has Grilled Cheese secondary aspirations and I want them to open a Grilled Cheesery. I want it to be so only Grilled Cheese is on the menu....

I don't know but I really like this idea. How do you plan to do it? I have a Soup Kitchen made from bienchen83's Community Lot Revolution and, in that thread, there is mention of a tutorial to come that tells how to link foods to the stand, but I've never seen that tutorial. Does anyone know if it was written or how to do this?
Field Researcher
#24286 Old 14th Jul 2020 at 8:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by inspiredzone
It might. When the sims are waiting at the podium, they're looking at the menu. If you don't have what they like, it will make it harder to get the sale.

You mean it's easier to sell if it's their favorite food? But then, you'd have that problem with any menu that doesn't have every food on it...

I don't think it's a problem. Sims don't particularly insist on variety and will happily order cereal for dinner, after all.

Maybe you could also serve some soup or salad and pretend it comes with a side of grilled cheese?

Sunrader, you can open a restaurant and pick items on the menu. It doesn't have anything to do with the food stands.
Mad Poster
#24287 Old 14th Jul 2020 at 9:12 PM
On a lark, I just made a test apartment lot that had all four of the specialty food stalls (diner, tropical, mountain, and far east), as well as a restaurant, and then re-zoned it as an apartment. When I moved my tester Sim into the lot, much to my surprise, not only could he rent a unit just like normal, but all the chef Sims for the food stalls, and the chef, busboy, and maitre d' all spawned correctly as well, and everything seemed to work properly.

This seems like there must be some problem with it (e.g., do the employees eventually have their needs crash or something), or it would be a much more widely used design choice, so what gives?

Alchemist
#24288 Old 14th Jul 2020 at 9:12 PM
Even if sims took a minor hit to their customer interest bar because their favorite food isn't listed (and I'm not sure this is the case), I don't think it would make a significant impact on the business, as a good timed hard sell/dazzle should be able to get sims to buy. If they really aren't buying, though, you can also put down a bunch of snapdragons to put them in a better mood.

@Sunrader, I don't think the tutorial was ever written, but it looks like the foods were altered to be tied to the stands (at least that's what I gather form post 26).

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Mad Poster
#24289 Old 14th Jul 2020 at 9:46 PM
I wonder if I'm the only one that plays with sim voices muted? They're cute and all but, to me personally, they get annoying after awhile

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Mad Poster
#24290 Old 14th Jul 2020 at 10:06 PM
^ I play with all the sims games muted, and have done for quite some time. If I'm not playing games where I don't need the sounds to pick up clues, I prefer having them off or occasionally listening to music instead (I'm a bit sensitive to sounds, and there can be so much constant noise in the Sims games it drives me a bit nuts. Plus the background music tends to stick to the back of my brain like superglue, so three weeks later I'm probably still humming the tune of one of the background songs with no recollection of where I have it from).
Mad Poster
#24291 Old 14th Jul 2020 at 10:20 PM
Occasionally I'll play with background music, usually the stuff in the playlist in my sig, but I still tend to leave the sound effects on but the music and voices muted when I do that.

The only game of the 4 I play without sound at all is 3. Something about the sound in that game hurts my ears. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Mad Poster
#24292 Old 14th Jul 2020 at 10:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
On a lark, I just made a test apartment lot that had all four of the specialty food stalls (diner, tropical, mountain, and far east), as well as a restaurant, and then re-zoned it as an apartment. When I moved my tester Sim into the lot, much to my surprise, not only could he rent a unit just like normal, but all the chef Sims for the food stalls, and the chef, busboy, and maitre d' all spawned correctly as well, and everything seemed to work properly...

I think I've done that before... I had a little high rise apartment building with a bar on the first floor.
Everything ran smoothly - if I remember correctly. BUT, it was only usable by apartment residents and their visitors. When I played as another sim on another lot, they couldn't visit the bar as a customer.

and Vintage Stuffeths
Mad Poster
#24293 Old 14th Jul 2020 at 11:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CatherineTCJD
I think I've done that before... I had a little high rise apartment building with a bar on the first floor.
Everything ran smoothly - if I remember correctly. BUT, it was only usable by apartment residents and their visitors. When I played as another sim on another lot, they couldn't visit the bar as a customer.

Oh yeah, I assumed that much, but some of my apartment lots have 10+ units, so even if it's just the neighbors... there's a lot of them!

Mad Poster
#24294 Old 14th Jul 2020 at 11:31 PM
Oh yeah, I assumed that much, but some of my apartment lots have 10+ units, so even if it's just the neighbors... there's a lot of them!

Yeah - I didn't have a problem with it. It was great for story-telling

and Vintage Stuffeths
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#24295 Old 14th Jul 2020 at 11:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CatherineTCJD
No, invisi won't work for this - it's on the ground. Nether.

Jo - I answered you over at Gina's...

Thanks for the detailed step by step Cat, will try it today.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#24296 Old 15th Jul 2020 at 12:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Phantomknight
@Sunrader, I don't think the tutorial was ever written, but it looks like the foods were altered to be tied to the stands (at least that's what I gather form post 26).

Yes, that's what I'm still wondering how to do.

Quote: Originally posted by enebya
Sunrader, you can open a restaurant and pick items on the menu. It doesn't have anything to do with the food stands.

Oh, ok. I knew it wasn't about the food stands, but I didn't realize we could edit the menu so easily. I'll look into it.
#24297 Old 15th Jul 2020 at 12:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
I don't know but I really like this idea. How do you plan to do it? I have a Soup Kitchen made from bienchen83's Community Lot Revolution and, in that thread, there is mention of a tutorial to come that tells how to link foods to the stand, but I've never seen that tutorial. Does anyone know if it was written or how to do this?

It's really simple actually - it will just be a small restaurant and have all of the items needed for a functional restaurant. When a Sim owns a restaurant you can click the podium and select what items are on the menu. I ran a sweet shop once and made it so the only things Sims could order were dessert, pancakes, and waffles.

Edit: I did a bad job at reading the posts after mine - oops. I was already beat to the answer
Forum Resident
#24298 Old 15th Jul 2020 at 12:58 AM
On a lark, I just made a test apartment lot that had all four of the specialty food stalls (diner, tropical, mountain, and far east), as well as a restaurant, and then re-zoned it as an apartment. When I moved my tester Sim into the lot, much to my surprise, not only could he rent a unit just like normal, but all the chef Sims for the food stalls, and the chef, busboy, and maitre d' all spawned correctly as well, and everything seemed to work properly.

This seems like there must be some problem with it (e.g., do the employees eventually have their needs crash or something), or it would be a much more widely used design choice, so what gives?

I've had a restaurant on an apartment lot for a long time and have never had an issue. The employees are there 24/7 and the needs don't change. The server occasionally cleans up dishes left in the common areas, but beyond that, they stay at their stations until your sims or lot visitors use the restaurants. I do use this mod though. I've never had an issue with bars either and my sims can use them, or even tend bar for extra cash.

I don't think the food stall employees are even people, I think they're just objects.
Forum Resident
#24299 Old 15th Jul 2020 at 1:04 AM
If a sims was living in a lot and I removed/deconstructed the house sold all items, put the sim in the sim bin, can I delete the now empty lot, or are there any extra steps?
Alchemist
#24300 Old 15th Jul 2020 at 2:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mischief Managed
If a sims was living in a lot and I removed/deconstructed the house sold all items, put the sim in the sim bin, can I delete the now empty lot, or are there any extra steps?

I believe lots can be safely deleted without having to be deconstructed first. I do it all the time when testing different versions of a lot.

It's the sim you have to be careful of. Don't move them to a different neighbourhood.

My new downloads are on my Pillowfort
Page 972 of 1345